• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's to U, Wii U

TheMoon

Nothing groundbreaking or innovative here. Great games, but nothing to suggest Nintendo or gaming was being pushed forward in any direction. Reggie once called Wii U a "box," and now I really understand what he meant. It was just a box to play current gen versions of Nintendo games on.

Hopefully Nintendo realizes the future of gaming is real-time, social experiences.

joke post?

edit: serious question btw, really can't tell anymore.

skypunch

Banned
No, don't you get it, Big-N is the only of the console-makers that puts fun first.

Sony and Microsoft are all about that money. Fun is towards the bottom of the list for them.

This is delusional. Nintendo is most definitely a business *first*, just like Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo's "fun" is all about making games with simple mechanics & colourful characters that appeal to everyone (which is actually a contradictory statement) because they believe that maximises profit.

EDIT: OK, I now realise you were being sarcastic. I think?

No, don't you get it, Big-N is the only of the console-makers that puts fun first.

Sony and Microsoft are all about that money. Fun is towards the bottom of the list for them.

You'll have to add "/s" here because you may have a lot of quotes here and the thread may derail pretty fast :p

Nothing groundbreaking or innovative here. Great games, but nothing to suggest Nintendo or gaming was being pushed forward in any direction. Reggie once called Wii U a "box," and now I really understand what he meant. It was just a box to play current gen versions of Nintendo games on.

Hopefully Nintendo realizes the future of gaming is real-time, social experiences.

You may have to do the same too. (or not sarcastic?)

S

Steve.1981

Unconfirmed Member

Sarcasm?

Please be sarcasm, I just threw up in my mouth.

Greddleok

Wii U had some good games but to say it had the best library of this generation :/ You are clearly being a fanboy.

Why? What a ridiculous statement. I've had way more fun with my WiiU games than my PS4. The WiiU's library is full of absolutely fantastic games, that can only be found on the WiiU.

My PS4 I enjoyed Bloodborne....um...what a waste of £300 that console was.

TheMoon

Please stop turning this into Console Wars: The Thread, guys.

Leave that shit at the kids table.

Don't know if you know this but you can say you like something without saying how shit something else is. At the same time if you don't like something you can just gtfo of a thread that is specifically about liking something.

Wii U had some good games but to say it had the best library of this generation :/ You are clearly being a fanboy.

I don't think anyones said this and if they had that opinion that wouldn't make them a fanboy. Just means they like the selection of games more than another systems selection of games.

Syrus

Banned
Its the only system where I play couch coop with my family. Smash and Kart are amazing and my wife loves them. She could care less about games on X1 and PS4 but loves mario and nintendo games.

Its a shame

KingBroly

Banned
Why? What a ridiculous statement. I've had way more fun with my WiiU games than my PS4. The WiiU's library is full of absolutely fantastic games, that can only be found on the WiiU.

My PS4 I enjoyed Bloodborne....um...what a waste of £300 that console was.

Wii U's also had its' fair share of clunkers, particularly from Nintendo. The highs are drowned out by the lows and non-existants. Too many platformers and party games, their only unique sports games were a Remake and Mario Tennis, no Metroid, no Animal Crossing, no Kirby, no Zelda yet. Their Virtual Console lineup was meager, and not to mention has some iffy performance issues.

Greddleok

I'm not saying every game is perfect, or eve good! That would be completely indefensible, but I think the highs are there and they're higher than anything on the other consoles. Especially if you take into account exclusives.

Gator86

WiiU is the first console where I probably only played a dozen or so games and is the first one I've sold off during the gen it released. There are some stellar games on it, but overall, I can't think of a major console that was more of a hilarious wasteland in terms of library.

-Setsuna-

cgVQa9Z.png
Personally, I would add Pullblox World, FAST Racing Neo, Affordable Space Adventures, Star Fox Guard, NES Remix 1&2, Wii Party U, Nano Assault Neo and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash to the list.

Personally, I would add Pullblox World, FAST Racing Neo, Affordable Space Adventures, Star Fox Guard, NES Remix 1&2, Wii Party U, Nano Assault Neo and Mario Tennis Ultra Smash to the list.

There's a link to the eshop thread in the OP though I think it only covers indies. NES Remix and Star Fox Guard shouldn't be missed.

Ansatz

This is delusional. Nintendo is most definitely a business *first*, just like Sony or Microsoft. Nintendo's "fun" is all about making games with simple mechanics & colourful characters that appeal to everyone (which is actually a contradictory statement) because they believe that maximises profit.

I don't know, Nintendo has been consistently stubborn when it comes to adopting contemporary market trends. They have experimented with their franchises in various directions over the decades, but there is always a fundamental game design philosophy they stick to no matter which audience they want to attract or what year it is.

Other companies like Sony westernized all their output, we no longer get kart battlers from them but only photo realistic sim racers, or cinematic cover-based shooters instead of stylized platformers.

Then you have the likes of Capcom and Konami who tried to compete in the AAA console market where EA and Activision dominate not because their games are great, but thanks to hollywood esque presentation elements, excessive hand-holding and guidance systems to ensure instant gratification, dumbed down design (QTE-ish combat, brain dead simple plaforming in AssCreed/Uncharted, etc), addictive gameplay systems deliberately created to take advantage of how our brains work and of course massive marketing budgets. They lost that battle and turned to mobile (don't get me started on this one, fuck the monetization models that dictate game design), point being they abandoned what they once used to be.

Nintendo has at best dipped their toes into these shitholes i described above, yes you can probably find one or two games with slightly shady DLC practices published by them but in general how they handled DLC was flawless and how you should do it.

Considering how other companies have acted and what analysts/investors suggest Nintendo should be doing business wise, any outside influence would basically turn them into a generic business 101 company. There is no doubt that Nintendo values their philosophy and long-term satisfaction of customers. They are a business and profiting is the ultimate goal, but not at any cost and only if certain conditions they stand by are fulfilled.

Choomp

Banned
Bayonetta
Bayonetta 2
3D World
Mario Kart 8
Smash 4
Pikmin 3
Tropical Freeze
Splatoon
Star Fox Zero
Wind Waker HD

These next few months are going to suck, but I would be lying if I said that I didn't have fun with my WiiU.

this basically my list +NintendoLand/Yoshi and some other fun multiplat or remaster games I played or even some indie stuff off the eShop. I love my Wii U

Looooooove Nintendo's output and am still regularly playing their games (Pikmin 3 and Smash 4 <333333333), but it was a disappointment in nearly every other area barring indie support. Here's hoping NX not only has ample third party support and non-darkened/trickling of VC games, but sticks to and succeeds with whatever vision it has.

EDIT: OK, I now realise you were being sarcastic. I think?
Very much so.

Unsurprisingly, many people do actually think what I said is the truth.
For anyone who really believes this, Nintendo not following current trends, not adopting modern technology and not adapting for the modern market aren't signs of some deep seated valuation of the customer's satisfaction.

They're more of signs that Nintendo is faltering and doesn't know how to make money from their games in the current market.
Other companies like Sony westernized all their output, we no longer get kart battlers from them but only photo realistic sim racers, or cinematic cover-based shooters instead of stylized platformers.
Oh puhleaseeeeeeeee.

As much as the Wii U failed in console sales, the software attach rates are impressive. It's unfortunate that Nintendo couldn't get the marketing right because clearly the quality first party games are there.

Based on Nintendo's numbers that's not true though.

It's even quite the opposite.

Not

Banned
To many, the Wii U is a commercial failure that came out at the wrong time, had the wrong idea and failed to compete with its direct competition. To others, the Wii U is this:

cgVQa9Z.png

whynotboth.gif

A good chunk of the good games up there are being ported anyway. Look at all the rereleases, sequels, and alternate versions up there, haha

Splatoon and Smash coming to NX? Good. Then the Wii U doesn't matter one iota.

-Horizon-

Mine as well, really looking forward to this game. Also Wii U even though sales where abysmal it went out fighting with a bunch of great games. W101, Bayo2, Xenoblade, Splatoon damn such great games no regret. Now good night sweet prince its been fun

tumblr_nwocrdlB131to9wudo1_250.gif

More than likely getting it on NX now because its a simultaneous release. If the U version came earlier I might have gotten that one.
Its technically the U's last game but it won't be my last game.

phanphare

Banned
whynotboth.gif

A good chunk of the good games up there are being ported anyway. Look at all the rereleases, sequels, and alternate versions up there, haha

Splatoon and Smash coming to NX? Good. Then the Wii U doesn't matter one iota.

maybe if Tropical Freeze gets ported too

spot on with Splatoon though ;p

I am ok with the WiiU library. Few quality titles but very solid. I am not ok with the price of their hardware, the gamepad being mandatory, their account sytem, the clunky operating system, and the Mii shovelware. All the problems are in the ecosystem they are trying to build, not in the games, the games are stellar.

Ansatz

They're more of signs that Nintendo is faltering and doesn't know how to make money from their games in the current market. .

Nintendo sold 70m hardware units this gen in spite of being the sole major software provider and on top of that having to split their attention between two separate platforms.

They survived the mobile dominance (how do you even compete with devices you want to own for non gaming purposes and free games) and managed to retain monopoly of the dedicated handheld gaming market.

They accomplished all of this without abandoning their identity, unlike Sony.

botty

Banned
I think there's a case for Splatoon being the standout in terms of groundbreaking innovation. The others are definitely evolutions, but Splatoon was truly something we have not seen executed so well, by Nintendo of all people.

There is nothing innovative about Splatoon. It's a toon version of a 3rd person shooter, which we have seen in the past but not nearly as charming as Splatoon presents itself. Polishing an idea doesn't make it innovative, and this isn't a sleight to Splatoon because it's a good game, but I don't think it even lives up to its full potential.

There is nothing innovative about Splatoon. It's a toon version of a 3rd person shooter, which we have seen in the past but not nearly as charming as Splatoon presents itself. Polishing an idea doesn't make it innovative, and this isn't a sleight to Splatoon because it's a good game, but I don't think it even lives up to its full potential.

The controls are extremely innovative and should be a standard for all analogue shooters. Splatoon is the next logical step in shooter evolution.

Can anyone tell me how Mass Effect 3 performs on the Wii U? I've been thinking about picking it up.

The main issue with Mass Effect 3 was it launched shortly before the entire trilogy compilation would hit 360 and PS3. The Wii U version has terrific gamepad support and if I remember correctly it runs pretty well.

TheMoon

Can anyone tell me how Mass Effect 3 performs on the Wii U? I've been thinking about picking it up.

Best version of the game, performs fine. Only problem is the missing DLC (everything that came after the extended cut) of course. If you get a good price, grab it!

The controls are extremely innovative and should be a standard for all analogue shooters. Splatoon is the next logical step in shooter evolution.

The main issue with Mass Effect 3 was it launched shortly before the entire trilogy compilation would hit 360 and PS3. The Wii U version has terrific gamepad support and if I remember correctly it runs pretty well.

Best version of the game, performs fine. Only problem is the missing DLC (everything that came after the extended cut) of course. If you get a good price, grab it!

Thanks! I'll do it!

phanphare

Banned

we've seen a game like splatoon in the past?

TheMoon

Thanks! I'll do it!

Haven't checked on the online in over a year or so but if you still find people you'll enjoy that too. It even supports push-to-talk voice chat (there's a mic button on the touch screen in online mp). It's fantastic. ME3 and Deus Ex HR DC are why Straight Right/Tantalus got the Twilight Princess HD job. Their work is stellar.

zenpuff

Neo Member
Honestly I only bought my Wii U for Mario 3D World. One of my favorite Mario games, ever. Seriously.

The fact I got Bayonetta 2, Splatoon, Mario Maker, a good version of Tekken Tag, Mario Kart 8, Tropical Freeze, and some good eshop games? Icing on the cake.

ajim

Sonic all stars racing and monster Hunter were my two most played and enjoyed games.

I enjoyed my wii u for the time we spent together.

Raw64life

I bought a Wii U and a PS4 a couple of weeks apart and I've spent pretty close to an equal amount of time with them. I also own exactly 10 games for each system at the moment, although obviously things will shift in favor of PS4 over the long haul. They complimented each other perfectly. They might have not had enough quantity to compete with PS4 on a sales level but for me it was enough. Great system IMO.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Calling Splatoon just a third person shooter with cute visuals is doing a big disservice to its primary mechanics. Which synthesize shooting, territory capture, and movement in a way nothing else has ever done before, that I am aware of.

Innovation doesn't just involve creating new genres. A title in an existing genre can innovate.

Haven't checked on the online in over a year or so but if you still find people you'll enjoy that too. It even supports push-to-talk voice chat (there's a mic button on the touch screen in online mp). It's fantastic. ME3 and Deus Ex HR DC are why Straight Right/Tantalus got the Twilight Princess HD job. Their work is stellar.

That's interesting. Good to know.

Top Bottom