• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's to U, Wii U

This is my collection of physical games. I also have Wind Waker HD but digitally.

I had Nintendoland because it came with the Wii U on launch. I sold it. It was a good decision, I don't regret it.

Great selection if you're into single player experiences (Nintendo Land is best with friends around). You must add Pikmin 3, Captain Toad, Star Fox Zero and Pokken there.

KevinCow

Banned
I don't understand the, "It had some great games, but it sucked," mindset.

How is a console anything more than a box to play games on? How is a console's worth anything more or less than the worth of the games you play on it?

If you played great games on a system, how does that not make it a good system?

How is a console anything more than a box to play games on? How is a console's worth anything more or less than the worth of the games you play on it?

There are different ways. While I won't say the Wii U sucked as my exposure to one was fairly limited, I'm of the opinion that it had some great games that just weren't what I wanted. I know that's a vague statement that can be made of any company, but hear me out:

I grew up on Mario and Donkey Kong and Kirby and the gang. I love them. I have special moments of them. And I continued to really enjoy those characters and games for 7-8 as I went from a child to a teenager. By then however, I had experienced more varied and narrative driven games due to PS1, PS2 and PC. I hadn't yet grown out of love for cartoony, gameplay centric games (Crash, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, etc.), but I no longer cherished the relative simplicity of the traditional Nintendo game that once enraptured me. After games like Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill 2, Shadows of the Colossus and especially stuff on the PS3, games like Mario Galaxy, which are marvelous games, just no longer interested me enough or excited me enough to spend hundreds of dollars on a console and expensive Nintendo games.

And with the Wii U, it was even worse in a way. Having played Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3, World, Yoshi's Island, Sunshine and so on and hearing another fairly traditional Mario game was a primary reason to buy a console with a controller I don't like, I couldn't help but shrug my shoulders. And it's like that for a lot of games on the Wii U. I've played some of them and enjoyed some of them, but after 15-20 years of playing iterations of the same game - especially without a compelling narrative - I simply acknowledge that the Wii U has some great games that I just don't care about.

Factor in terrible third party support and severe droughts, it's not hard to understand why somebody would view the Wii U as a bad system with some really good games. This doesn't even get into hardware and software complaints, but just addressing games.

The Wii U is ideal for games with a cartoony art style and unique controls, and that happens to be a perfect fit for Nintendo and its franchises. The system was after all developed with Nintendo's strengths in mind.

However, for other more demanding games from third parties, the Wii U is not powerful enough. Developers have to program down to the metal in order to take advantage of its capabilities-- unfortunately, it doesn't make economic sense for them to do that.

key

I only recently acquired my WiiU (wife surprised me with one for Christmas), but I've loved it so far. I have Smash, MK8, Splatoon, and Mario Maker. There are tons of other games I'm planning on picking up in the future (Star Fox, 3D World, DKC:TF, Zelda, etc.). As someone whose time for gaming is becoming more and more limited, the Wii U gives me exactly what I need: fun pick-up-and-play experiences that I can come back to whenever I have some free time. It's a great system, in my opinion.

Wensih

The tablet controller is a clunky nuisance. While I try to avoid using it for the most part, some games delegate vital information to it, information that could have been placed in a menu screen, making it unavoidable. Great games, terrible hardware, and clumbersome UI.

GnawtyDog

Banned
3D World
New SMB U
DKC TF.

The only one I missed out on that I really want to play was Wooly World due to selling my Wii U early. Hopefully NX has some sort of backwards compatability in order to play it. It looked lovely.

For one game... didn't miss much but that one stings.

chadboban

Despite the short life it's given me some really good times. I don't regret getting one for a second. The laughs I've had with family and friends playing games like Mario 3D World, Smash Wii U, MK8 and Nintendoland were more than worth it.

Some of my personal favs (All screens taken by me)

Super Mario 3D World
wiiu_screenshot_tv_01dmdeb.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_01vbfmt.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_012sc7d.jpg

wiiu_screenshot_tv_018ilqj.jpg

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Bayonetta 2

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Bros for Wii U

Nessus

As much as the Wii U failed in console sales, the software attach rates are impressive. It's unfortunate that Nintendo couldn't get the marketing right because clearly the quality first party games are there.

I wasn't even trying and I ended up with 5 games on Wii U, and will probably pick up Smash Bros. in the next week or so.

jnWake

I love my Wii U:
- DKCTF has given me many hours of fun and is an amazing platformer.
- Splatoon is the best online game I've played recently.
- Smash 4 is incredible, truly a perfection of what Brawl tried to do (except the Single Player).
- Super Mario Maker is also great. Never expected to have so much fun creating levels.
- Pikmin 3 is glorious. Pikmin as a whole is a bit underrated but Pikmin 3 is criminally so.
- Nintendo Land is a lot of fun with friends. Mario Chase and Luigi's Mansion are GOAT. Animal Crossing is kinda funny too.
- GBA VC is the best. I had never owned a handheld before so everything there has been new for me: FE7, FE8, Mega Man Zero, Golden Sun and so much more.

Off-TV play is the best thing for VC too.

ViolentP

And yet you still took the time to post in a Nintendo thread.

Actually, I take the time to post in a number of varying threads on different subjects of gaming in a gaming forum. Some opinions positive, others negative. I weep for the man who prefers the company of those that share only his opinions.

R00bot

Actually, I take the time to post in a number of varying threads on different subjects of gaming in a gaming forum. Some opinions positive, others negative. I weep for the man who prefers the company of those that share only his opinions.

He was saying that you definitely did not ignore this Nintendo thread despite you saying that you ignore everything with the word Nintendo in it.

Peltz

Despite the short life it's given me some really good times. I don't regret getting one for a second. The laughs I've had with family and friends playing games like Mario 3D World, Smash Wii U, MK8 and Nintendoland were more than worth it.

Some of my personal favs (All screens taken by me)

Super Mario 3D World

Xenoblade Chronicles X

Bayonetta 2

Donkey Kong Country: Tropical Freeze

Mario Kart 8

Super Smash Bros for Wii U
Great picks.

Pikmin 3 always gets shafted.
Dr.-Who.gif

WiiU = Saturn of its time.

Going to be real hard to collect those physical copies in the future. Those are never going down in price. I have quite a few first party games but i need to get a few more like smash bros, new super mario bros with luigi, captain toad, hyrule warriors, and devil's third.

Parfait

The Wii U is prob my favorite console purchase. There's just so many games I need to get for it, while there's like, less than 10 for the PS4 that I want.

It sucks that it failed financially, because as a game system it's my favorite since the PS2.

gamerMan

With the software droughts, it's proof that Nintendo alone won't be able to carry a system. Still, I think the Wii U Nintendo's most important system. In order for Nintendo to be great, it had to fall real hard. It's probably the biggest failure.Still, even at its lowest point, Nintendo was able to make a few people smile.

I think the Wii U death represents a lot of things to many people especially with Iwata's death. I want to believe that the Wii U had meaning.

A great system that didn't sell nearly as much as it deserved considering the impressive library of games it has. Wii U has some of the best games of the generation in my opinion and the only thing missing is an exclusive Zelda.

On top of a ton of great selling points that dont need much more mentioning, for me personally it's the console that finally allowed me to fall in love with Monster Hunter. For that I thank it

prag16

Banned
Well, hey. It's a "terrible console" and all, but I easily got my money's worth and then some. MK8, SM3DW, hell even Black Ops 2 Wii Remote goodness. TONS of hours. Not to mention Bayonetta 2, the majesty of which has rendered the rest of its genre virtually unplayable by comparison.

Still one more game I will buy for it: Lego Star Wars TFA. I have a PS4, but the separate screen co-op will make the Wii U version the definitive one (for me and my son at least).

KevinCow

Banned
The Wii U is ideal for games with a cartoony art style and unique controls, and that happens to be a perfect fit for Nintendo and its franchises. The system was after all developed with Nintendo's strengths in mind.

However, for other more demanding games from third parties, the Wii U is not powerful enough. Developers have to program down to the metal in order to take advantage of its capabilities-- unfortunately, it doesn't make economic sense for them to do that.

The Wii U is perfectly capable of non-cartoony games with more traditional controls. Bayonetta, Xenoblade X, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Batman, Darksiders... these games looked and played perfectly fine, and most (possibly all) of them could be played with the Pro Controller.

No, it couldn't keep up with the PS4 and Xbone, so yeah, when third-party development shifted to those and it became clear that the Wii U wasn't going to be a success, third-parties jumped ship.

But that's irrelevant. Saying it's bad because it lacks third-party support is judging the system based on what it doesn't have instead of judging it based on what it does have. You're looking at a list of great games it has and saying, "But those don't count, because it didn't have these other great games." And that makes no sense to me.

When I judge a system, I judge it 100% on the games it has. I make a list of games that I loved on the system, and I look at how big that list is and how much I loved those games. The Wii U's overall library may be small, but that list, for me, manages to be surprisingly large, larger than that of many other major consoles. And I love games like DKC Tropical Freeze and Splatoon more than most games I'd put on any other console's list.

In my eyes, it has great games, therefore it is a great system.

Lack of graphical fidelity doesn't matter, because the games still look fine, even great in many cases. "But the graphics could've been better!" doesn't matter to me, because the games look fine as they are. It's like dating a girl who's an 8 and complaining that she's not a 10. Could it be better? Sure. But what you have now is still pretty good, so why worry about that?

Lack of third-party support doesn't matter, because while Nintendo held up the console by themselves for most of its life, they still managed to singlehandedly put out more awesome games than I've found on most other consoles. Would it have been nice if it had full third-party support and got even more great games to play? Yeah. But it's like finding a $50 bill on the ground and complaining that it's not a $100 bill. I reiterate my above point: Could it be better? Sure. But what you have now is still pretty good, so why worry about that?

Software droughts may have been frustrating during the system's life, but I don't see why they should matter in retrospect; the games are out now, you don't have to wait for them anymore. It has X number of great games. Whether it took 1 year or 4 years or 8 years for those X number of great games to come out doesn't matter in the end, because you still wound up with the same number of great games. I can understand somebody citing game droughts as a reason to pass on the console in 2013; I can't understand somebody citing game droughts in previous years as a reason to pass on the console in 2016. It just doesn't matter anymore.

All I know is, I got hundreds of hours of entertainment out of the system, and I played plenty of great games on it, and that's plenty for me to consider it a great system.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm starting to feel anxious when I think of the Wii U... I own a mere 5 or so Wii U games and there are probably ~20 I want to have in my collection.

These things aren't going to be on retail shelves for much longer.... I'd rather round them up now then fight on eBay in a couple years.

Just due to the low print run nature of the console's entire life, the inherent collectability of Nintendo, and the fact that Nintendo barely ever dropped the MSRP on games, means that I don't think there will even be a "buy em when they're cheap" moment. A lot of these games are $60 and will remain so until they actually go up in price.

Monocle

The Wii U's library of exclusives remains the best of the generation. Well worth my time and money. A relatively inexpensive system with a generous variety of truly great games: what's not to love?

I agree that the games are good but I just got tired of Nintendo franchise like Mario, Mario Kart or ssb. But I'll have to buy a WiiU at some point for Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 (and maybe Devil's third)

Monocle

I agree that the games are good but I just got tired of Nintendo franchise like Mario, Mario Kart or ssb. But I'll have to buy a WiiU at some point for Bayonetta 2 and The Wonderful 101 (and maybe Devil's third)
You won't be sorry. Those games are so damn good.

You can add that is the only Nintendo home console without an exclusive Zelda game. Nintendo historical fact.

Thats in the OP and I disagree with the guy you quoted.

I think the remasters are valid as they go out of their way to enhance the original game beyond a resolution bump.

Out of the four remasters I listed:
Wind Waker HD and Twilight Princess HD had signifcant gameplay upgrades and refinements to streamline padding and improve the overall pacing. On top of that both use the gamepad to great effect.

Wii Sports Club had online modes for each sport and many of them were remade around Wii Motion Plus and the gamepad. Its a very different game.

Wii Fit U is a weird remaster where it includes some of the content from Wii Fit Plus and some entirely new stuff.

The spinoff games like Captain Toad and Kirby and the Rainbow Paintbrush are some of the Wii U's best games, don't disregard them.

Whether the games are enjoyable to you or not is personal preference but none of them are bad by any means.

The Wii U is perfectly capable of non-cartoony games with more traditional controls. Bayonetta, Xenoblade X, Assassin's Creed, Splinter Cell, Batman, Darksiders... these games looked and played perfectly fine, and most (possibly all) of them could be played with the Pro Controller.

No, it couldn't keep up with the PS4 and Xbone, so yeah, when third-party development shifted to those and it became clear that the Wii U wasn't going to be a success, third-parties jumped ship.

But that's irrelevant. Saying it's bad because it lacks third-party support is judging the system based on what it doesn't have instead of judging it based on what it does have. You're looking at a list of great games it has and saying, "But those don't count, because it didn't have these other great games." And that makes no sense to me.

When I judge a system, I judge it 100% on the games it has. I make a list of games that I loved on the system, and I look at how big that list is and how much I loved those games. The Wii U's overall library may be small, but that list, for me, manages to be surprisingly large, larger than that of many other major consoles. And I love games like DKC Tropical Freeze and Splatoon more than most games I'd put on any other console's list.

In my eyes, it has great games, therefore it is a great system.

Lack of graphical fidelity doesn't matter, because the games still look fine, even great in many cases. "But the graphics could've been better!" doesn't matter to me, because the games look fine as they are. It's like dating a girl who's an 8 and complaining that she's not a 10. Could it be better? Sure. But what you have now is still pretty good, so why worry about that?

Lack of third-party support doesn't matter, because while Nintendo held up the console by themselves for most of its life, they still managed to singlehandedly put out more awesome games than I've found on most other consoles. Would it have been nice if it had full third-party support and got even more great games to play? Yeah. But it's like finding a $50 bill on the ground and complaining that it's not a $100 bill. I reiterate my above point: Could it be better? Sure. But what you have now is still pretty good, so why worry about that?

Software droughts may have been frustrating during the system's life, but I don't see why they should matter in retrospect; the games are out now, you don't have to wait for them anymore. It has X number of great games. Whether it took 1 year or 4 years or 8 years for those X number of great games to come out doesn't matter in the end, because you still wound up with the same number of great games. I can understand somebody citing game droughts as a reason to pass on the console in 2013; I can't understand somebody citing game droughts in previous years as a reason to pass on the console in 2016. It just doesn't matter anymore.

All I know is, I got hundreds of hours of entertainment out of the system, and I played plenty of great games on it, and that's plenty for me to consider it a great system.

Agree. I figured that the Wii U's lack of 3rd party support and weak hardware could be the reason why people say it "sucked". In my eyes, it didn't. It's a great, great system.

skypunch

Banned
There are different ways. While I won't say the Wii U sucked as my exposure to one was fairly limited, I'm of the opinion that it had some great games that just weren't what I wanted. I know that's a vague statement that can be made of any company, but hear me out:

I grew up on Mario and Donkey Kong and Kirby and the gang. I love them. I have special moments of them. And I continued to really enjoy those characters and games for 7-8 as I went from a child to a teenager. By then however, I had experienced more varied and narrative driven games due to PS1, PS2 and PC. I hadn't yet grown out of love for cartoony, gameplay centric games (Crash, Spyro, Jak & Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, etc.), but I no longer cherished the relative simplicity of the traditional Nintendo game that once enraptured me. After games like Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Silent Hill 2, Shadows of the Colossus and especially stuff on the PS3, games like Mario Galaxy, which are marvelous games, just no longer interested me enough or excited me enough to spend hundreds of dollars on a console and expensive Nintendo games.

And with the Wii U, it was even worse in a way. Having played Super Mario Bros. 1, 2, 3, World, Yoshi's Island, Sunshine and so on and hearing another fairly traditional Mario game was a primary reason to buy a console with a controller I don't like, I couldn't help but shrug my shoulders. And it's like that for a lot of games on the Wii U. I've played some of them and enjoyed some of them, but after 15-20 years of playing iterations of the same game - especially without a compelling narrative - I simply acknowledge that the Wii U has some great games that I just don't care about.

Factor in terrible third party support and severe droughts, it's not hard to understand why somebody would view the Wii U as a bad system with some really good games. This doesn't even get into hardware and software complaints, but just addressing games.

This is word for word for how I feel, also.

I love this console despite all the shit it gets-
I actually have a pretty decent backlog to go through -
Donkey kong tropical freeze
Bayonetta 2
Super smash bros
Zombi U

I also bought some wii games for it
Prince of persia the forgotten sands
Metroid prine trilogy
Donkey kong country returns
Super mario galaxy 2

And i never even TOUCHED these games yet!
I also need to get the Zelda remakes and splatoon and xenoblade..

Haganeren

This is word for word for how I feel, also.

Well, if that's the case, Nintendo can't do anything for you anyway. I don't get why you would choose a Nintendo console with third party support since Sony would have those same game with exclusives which would interest you way more anyway. (Stuff like Uncharted, Gravity Rush or maybe Japanese RPG if you're into that)

The system had no chance into convincing you since the beginning and the NX is the same... Or else you want Nintendo to do only the same kind of game as everyone else which would be sad in my opinion.

skypunch

Banned
Well, if that's the case, Nintendo can't do anything for you anyway. I don't get why you would choose a Nintendo console with third party support since Sony would have those same game with exclusives which would interest you way more anyway. (Stuff like Uncharted, Gravity Rush or maybe Japanese RPG if you're into that)

The system had no chance into convincing you since the beginning and the NX is the same... Or else you want Nintendo to do only the same kind of game as everyone else which would be sad in my opinion.

I'm buying the NX for Monolith Soft's next game. They value story in video games as well as putting a lot of ambition into their games. I'm sick of arcade gameplay featuring cereal box characters.

Champion

I'm actually shocked at how much backlog I have for this console. Like 10+ games and that's only physical Wii U titles. That's not even counting digital stuff I need to go through and the tons of Wii games I haven't touched.

I'm buying the NX for Monolith Soft's next game. They value story in video games.
Someone didn't play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

skypunch

Banned
Someone didn't play Xenoblade Chronicles X.

I did play it & it's one of the worst Xeno games; I hated the characters & the music, especially. Takahashi said the next game will go back to being story-driven like the first Xenoblade so I'm excited.

LoveCake

My WiiU games collection,

I also have Mario Maker and Rayman as digital games, I did trade in a couple of games Splatoon, Zelda: Wind Waker HD, Yarn Yoshi, Super Mario Bros U and Kirby Rainbow.

Aswitch

-Zombi U (throughly enjoyed it despite the reviews, loved the tension it created)
-Smash Bros (pure obvious fun)
-Bayonetta 2 (Really worthy successor to the original)
-Devil's Third(A really fun game if you lower your expectations especially the multiplayer)
-Mario Maker (Have yet to get into)
-Pokken (have yet to get into)
-Lost Reavers(i know a lot of people won't like it but it seems up my alley personally)
-Being able to play upscaled Wii games?
-Not to mention the other first party games i've yet to get into (mario,zeldas etc.)

Overall, i got what i expected from the Wii U for the most part. Some exclusives that justified my purchase. an ambitious, but underutilized concept of an extension of the DS. Here's to the NX Killing it next time.

I bought it as a Smash Bros box and i'm okay with that. So many good nights playing it with friends!

It has some great games, the real disappointment is how awful the console interface and online infrastructure was. The 360 and PS3 did a far better job and they released 5-6 years early. When we play Smash online we have to create a voice party on the PS4 first...hopefully NX is a bit more current.

Top Bottom