• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what Japanese people think of the Xbox One

2San

In here (PT) there's rage all over the place because what it was shown is only good in the US. Social media sites are taking a hit with negativity, I almost feel bad for them. Almost but after yesterday It's clear where their Target lives, and it's not in Europe.
Yeah, but the US only criticism is present here as well. :eek:

That place looks really clean.

Japanese stores tend to be really clean. It's a Yodabashi Camera, a major electronics chain found in larger cities, so it's bound to be clean. That said, a lot of Japanese buildings are pretty old and there are also slobs in Japan, so there are plenty of shitholes too. Retro gaming stores are often suitably dingy.

The_Monk

Yeah, but the US only criticism is present here as well. :eek:

And it was a surprise to see so many US costumers angry with their decisions fellow GAFfer. Of course that not every US costumer cares about TV and Sports, some really only want a console to play games and this choice from MS could really bite them, however, I'm pretty sure this is still going to sell well in the US but on Europe and Japan? No way it will happen so easy, not this time.

theyre-opening-a-xbox360-store-in-japan-no-seriously-evilcontrollers.jpg

Lol at the guy that said he will have to buy it for Idolmaster 3. System seller right there.

Legendary picture there. They should've just sent those to other countries.

Namco Bandai decided they liked money too much and released IM@S 2 for PS3. It's unlikely they'll be MS exclusive again the next gen, considering how the PS3 crushed the 360 in Japan.

2San

And it was a surprise to see so many US costumers angry with their decisions fellow GAFfer. Of course that not every US costumer cares about TV and Sports, some really only want a console to play games and this choice from MS could really bite them, however, I'm pretty sure this is still going to sell well in the US but on Europe and Japan? No way it will happen so easy, not this time.
It's pretty sad the x360 wasn't really that far behind in Europe. I really thought MS was going to capitalize on us for a change.

Snaku

Banned
I love how they whine about them not even thinking about Japan, when Japanese developers rarely ever consider or give a shit about western gamers. Enjoy your Monster Hunter.

they(Microsoft) are not looking at Sony or Nintendo. but are frantically coming up with countermeasures for Apple and Google.

That pretty much is the nail on the head. And pretty much why we are all scratching our heads and feel weird about all of this.

sakipon

I love how they whine about them not even thinking about Japan, when Japanese developers rarely ever consider or give a shit about western gamers. Enjoy your Monster Hunter.

That's not really true. Also, particular developers being homeland-centric is a different thing than having a whole platform cater towards the US only.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer

Certain western franchises have gained a bit of a hold there like CoD and Uncharted.

i swear if kentaro miura buys an xbox one for idol master, then we'll never get a new chapter for berserk >.<

I'm sure he'll get Idolmaster for whatever console it's on. So we're all dunked whatever happens.

Unless Namco reboots Idolmaster into an edgy modern military FPS.

StayDead

Certain western franchises have gained a bit of a hold there like CoD and Uncharted.

It's mainly due to Square publishing them and spending a butt ton of money on advertising them. I remember trying to view famitsu's website a few months ago and it was almost unreadable thanks to the crazy black ops 2 ads everywhere.

Why do you care? Is it coming from devs saying that they absolutely will not develop games for the Xbox One?

I think the issue is, why would you bother posting in the thread if you didn't care about the clearly spelled out topic. I don't think it wasn't clear that this was about Japanese consumers and not devs.

Pepsiman

@iiotenki on Twitter!
Oh my god, I'm really shocked my inner translator alarm didn't go off sooner when it came to the hilariously horrible potential of Japanese nicknames for this machine. It's always really hard to completely translate Japanese humor well over to English, especially when it's morbid like that, but batsuichi is basically just transcendental. God damn almighty.

As a side note, I'm not sure if it's widely known here on GAF, but on a similar note, Eurogamer published a really good article late last year about why the Xbox as a brand has never taken off in Japan. Part of it ties into the naming issues, as has also been pointed out, but Microsoft made some grave management and business culture-related mistakes that did a very thorough job of digging a hole that's way too deep to climb out of at this point.

Just thought I would add that as food for thought in response to that post asking why we should even care.

Are these randomly picked or cherry-picked reactions? Because i have to say Japanese gamers sound a lot more polite and grounded than us lol. But maybe that's just due to general apathy for the Xbox brand

Marleyman

Banned
I think the issue is, why would you bother posting in the thread if you didn't care about the clearly spelled out topic. I don't think it wasn't clear that this was about Japanese consumers and not devs.

I cared about it which is why I posted what I posted. The jist of my post is that Japan has never cared about the Xbox, even when MS went out of their way at the beginning of last gen.

I cared about it which is why I posted what I posted. The jist of my post is that Japan has never cared about the Xbox, even when MS went out of their way at the beginning of last gen.

That makes sense, I just wish you had said that first. What you first posted could be interpreted a lot of ways :p

Marleyman

Banned
I personally want to know what people in all parts of the world think of this console

That is like asking people in the US what they think of Cricket. Nobody cares about it just like Japan hasn't cared about MS not matter what MS tried to do to penetrate that market. At least with MS they tried; Cricket hasn't tried yet :)

Sakujou

Banned
Wow, super answers from Japan.

But also iam wondering why they are so self-centered. they usually dont care about the rest of the world.

they never accepted the first two xboxes, so who cares?

also as an european, iam pretty dissappointed about this us-centric entertainment-box.

Jintor

Really? I've been hearing "We've got to appeal more to the West" from out of nowhere for the last couple of years then?

Astery

MS made great efforts at Xbox 360's launch to appeal japanese gamers, both with the console design and the development of japanese titles. Japan answer was very cold, so we can't blame them for totally dopping the ball over there. I'll be surprised if Xbox One will even be sold in Japan.

I wouldn't call the answer from Japan cold. Both the PS3 and Wii were so much more dominant in Japan even then that only a very small number of people will be willing to purchase a 360 for the jRPGs in that "exclusive" period. MS did get quite a boost in sales from them, just not enough to what you guys and MS want.

Soon we all knew that it's mostly a timed exclusive thing and people will just wait for the PS3 enhanced version ports as the tactic from MS ran old.

that guy is spot on

I mean, I like having a dishwasher and a microwave in the same room, and I might even use them at the same time. But if I want a new microwave and I like my dishwasher, the idea of looking for a combination dishwasher and microwave never enters my mind.

Kagari

Crystal Bearer
Wow, super answers from Japan.

But also iam wondering why they are so self-centered. they usually dont care about the rest of the world.

they never accepted the first two xboxes, so who cares?

also as an european, iam pretty dissappointed about this us-centric entertainment-box.

2ch.

Honestly who cares? Japan is a low population, they only support Japanese companies anyway, and even if Microsoft came out with something that blew away all competition and made Sony and Nintendo look like they're still putting out 1s and 64s, Japan would still find some excuse not to buy the X1.

Japan is a lost cause and I don't understand how it's a bad thing that Microsoft realized this and continues to ignore them.

Top Bottom