• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what PS4 game cases look like in real life

Rafterman

Banned
They look like generic Blu-Ray cases, so it's possible they just printed up covers and slapped them in cases they had laying around.

pgXkdCb.jpg

This will be mine.

KORNdoggy

Given how few games even come with printed booklets anymore. I don't even see why the cases need to be that tall or thick. why not go back to square cases (like the PS1) but using those slimline style DVD cases. You know, like you get in some box sets. That way you can get almost 3 times as many discs on a row, and potentally even double them up on top of each other.

AwShucks

I think going with blue for Vita and PS4 is great as it matches the blu of bluray cases much better than the Xbone green.

Sony doing everything it did with the PlayStation 2. Finally learning and retracing its steps back to how they manufactured the most successful console to date.

I'm going to be honest, I'm going to miss the clear section at the top we get with PS3 and Blu-ray cases. I always thought that looked classy. Still, it seems as if they're using Blu-ray cases as a base anyway which I prefer to DVD cases as they feel more sturdy and less cheap.

The PS4 boxes look great, I love that Sony is going with a color identity this time. (And that it's a pleasant color too). I've always thought it was very smart of Microsoft's marketing to have a color for the Xbox, as much as I hated that vile neon green they use it was instantly recognizable.

Sanctuary

Just looks like they decided to recycle Blu-Ray cases instead of bothering to spend resources on a different size/color.

RaikuHebi

Banned
Love that the PSN logo is gone.

Just looks like they decided to recycle Blu-Ray cases instead of bothering to spend resources on a different size/color.
PS2 was associated with blue too so they're just going back to their roots.

Return of the King.

Given how few games even come with printed booklets anymore. I don't even see why the cases need to be that tall or thick. why not go back to square cases (like the PS1) but using those slimline style DVD cases. You know, like you get in some box sets. That way you can get almost 3 times as many discs on a row, and potentally even double them up on top of each other.
This would've been very sensible and also nostalgic.

I guess it's because it's BD-standard. Or maybe not, Nintendo still uses DVD-cases. But then again, that's Nintendo.

But I agree, the smaller the better.

What I liked about the PS3 game boxes was that the black banner at the top didn't interfere with the boxart itself.

That's an issue the white banner 360 games had.

That deep blue might look weird on specific cases but generally it's alright.

That odd shade of green for Xbox One is an improvement on 360's case style but probably has more potential to clash.

When you consider how many people go for the blue and orange, PS4 cases are well suited. Blue and orange with a green banner will probably look pretty odd.

Sanctuary

Love that the PSN logo is gone.

PS2 was associated with blue too so they're just going back to their roots.

Return of the King.

This would've been very sensible and also nostalgic.

Not really saying it's a negative. Just seemed like they decided to go for the most economical approach and didn't even try. It's not like most people buy games based off of what the case looks like anyway.

Iacobellis

You know what would complete this PS2-era revival? AA games.

I'm talking your Tony Hawk. Your RPG Maker. Your Timesplitters. Your Airblade. Your Mr. Mosquito. Your Harvest Moon. Your Metropolis Mania. Your Destroy All Humans!.

RaikuHebi

Banned
What I liked about the PS3 game boxes was that the black banner at the top didn't interfere with the boxart itself.

That's an issue the white banner 360 games had.

That deep blue might look weird on specific cases but generally it's alright.

That odd shade of green for Xbox One is an improvement on 360's case style but probably has more potential to clash.

When you consider how many people go for the blue and orange, PS4 cases are well suited. Blue and orange with a green banner will probably look pretty odd.
I wonder if there will be special cases where games use a different colour. That's how it was on PS2. Most were blue, but some were black and a few even transparent.

whitehawk

Banned
Are the game cases solid like the PS3 cases or do they feel flimsy like they have portions cut out of the middle on each side?

Basically am I going to open up my first game and see this.
d920ef09-0714-424b-8669-779bac65a6a4.jpg
I support those cases. It saves heaps and heaps of plastic.

Top Bottom