• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Here's what you need to run a UHD blu-ray movie on your PC

Status
Not open for further replies.
Only Kaby Lake CPUs can run it? Not even AMD's new offering? Wow that's bullshit since consoles can easily run UHD on vastly inferior shit.

Fuck the movie industry, their war on piracy is a complete waste of money. Those blu Ray discs only cost pennies to manufacture now. They should be defacto especially for big storages PC games

I've had a Blu-ray drive in my PC since around 2009 (which was several builds ago), I've bought a new copy of PowerDVD each time I've upgraded, and when The Force Awakens came out on Blu-ray and I tried to play it on my PC, PowerDVD tells me "oh, we can't play this title, you'll need to pay $60 to get the latest version of software you've already paid over $150 for in the last 7 years." To which I replied, "fuck you, I'll just rip it to get around your absolutely bullshit policy concerning software upgrades and Sony's absurd DRM that prevents the only people who are still buying your physical fucking media in this day and age from even fucking accessing it YOU STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLES." My PlayStation 3 kept playing every disc I threw at it (until it died last year), and it never tried to charge me for a software update. And seeing as the PS3 was my primary Blu-ray player, I probably used my PC to watch a Blu-ray maybe 6 times, so I gave PowerDVD $25 per movie just for the convenience of being able to access a product I already paid for.

So, yeah, you know what it takes to play Blu-rays, of any kind, on an HTPC? More dollars than sense because they will arbitrarily decide that "oh, we no longer support this until you give us more money." Literally any stand-alone player or console will do a better job than that.

Is this a circlejerk like "iTunes is terrible"? PowerDVD has been a lot better since around version 14, very lightweight and easily plays any kind of DRM-protected media.

The constant nags to update, the clunky UI, the pricetag, the part it plays in the generally horrid UX of playing blu ray discs on a computer, yeah it's earned that reputation.

and iTunes is still terrible.

spons

Gold Member
Only Kaby Lake CPUs can run it? Not even AMD's new offering? Wow that's bullshit since consoles can easily run UHD on vastly inferior shit.

Only because of Intel's DRM implementation, I don't think AMD has come up with something that's similar to what they've done.

Which is a load of arbitrary nonsense of course, as many modern GPUs can decode 4k movies without a hitch.

But please buy our latest hardware and software just for the restrictions management, thanks!

Dan-o

They stopped updating it, and you can't buy it anymore. Which is basically a death sentence for any bluray playback software.
Good to know. I think I still have the TMT5 and TMT6 installers somewhere on my backup drive, not that I'll ever really need them again.

To which I replied, "fuck you, I'll just rip it to get around your absolutely bullshit policy concerning software upgrades and Sony's absurd DRM that prevents the only people who are still buying your physical fucking media in this day and age from even fucking accessing it YOU STUPID FUCKING ASSHOLES."

Yeah, but... how did they respond? ;)

Rootbeer

Banned
Sigh. Too many hoops. My 6700K is more than enough in terms of horsepower but thanks to all the DRM hoops it requires new hardware. So wonderful.

I miss the days where you'd only have to buy a new disc drive and capable display for this kind of thing.

Might get a Scorpio though...

BajiBoxer

Banned
It's rediculous how difficult it is to play a blu-ray on PC. I bought the software, an update broke it, then support discontinued entirely right before Windows 10 before the company stopped making it entirely.

You want to avoid piracy, don't make your disc standard so difficult to use that even paying customers need to rip the content to a drive on PC.

Hex

Banned
Or get one of the many UHD HDR Blu Ray players out there which are great (have a Samsung right now about to upgrade to Sony) and use the Vudu/Itunes digital copies for your pc?

If any of you guys are interested there's actually this halfway decent program I found which has been able to play any regular bluray movie I've thrown at it. It's free, and hilariously more stable than PowerDVD. Plays 4K files on your PC as well, as long is it's not straight off the disc of course.

http://www.leawo.org/blu-ray-player/

I think the player preinstalls any necessary codecs you need as well.

spons

Gold Member
‘First Pirated Ultra HD Blu-Ray Disk’ Appears Online. AACS 2.0 Cracked?

UHD Blu-Ray Discs, for example, are protected with AACS 2.0 encryption which was long believed to unbreakable.

A few hours ago, however, this claim was put in doubt. Out of nowhere, a cracked copy of a UHD Blu-Ray Disc surfaced on the HD-focused BitTorrent trackers <snip>.

After reviewing the full file our expert source believes that the release is indeed a copied UHD Blu-Ray Disc. Whether AACS 2.0 has been broken is still unclear.

Good news everyone, especially for the people who just want to see some damn movies without jumping though a gazillion hoops. If decryption tools are put online you can rip your discs to a more sensible format. If this is true that is.

Yay. That release will probably lead to a crack so you can rip uhd blurays and skip all that bullshit.
Makes me wonder whether they've cracked PowerDVD indeed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom