• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hermen Hulst - "We value PC gamers, and will continue to look at the right times to launch EACH game [on PC]."

Kenpachii

What about millions downloading Epic Launcher just to play Fortnite? People will do it if they really want to. Sony maybe irrelevant but their games aren't.

Because fortnite e-sport = PC.

Twich was for a long time fortnite, which made it massively populaire under PC players.

What is uncharted? what person that only plays on PC even heard of it? how did they ever got in contact with the IP? they don't.

The same way as world of warcraft is nothing on consoles worth. no console gamer gets into contact with it. Releasing a console with blizzard games on it like warcraft as exclusive, will not make any console gamer care. Who?

Yet on PC, for millions of PC gamers TBC is a bigger thing then anything this year releasing in the game market. Why? history. While console gamers talk about the next big sony exclusive, for a PC gamer that sits on blizzard games only, all of those games simple don't exist on there radar and never will unless sony starts to push advertisement for it and release the game on that platform.

A good example also is kingdom hearts series. Massive populaire in the PS2 area. Everybody that had a PS2 probably knows of its existence or a handheld. PC gamers? not really. It was never released on there platform and so nobody knows the name or cares for it as nobody got in contact with it.

They decided to release the entire series on PC a while ago. Yet it sells like absolute dogshit. why? zero history. Zero interest.

What sony needs to do is drop there IP's on PC. it will generate more money for there devs which probably is a thing with prices ballooning, it will create brand recognision after a while and it will result in sales.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Those two aren't mutually exclusive.

You're saying the president and ceo of PlayStation didn't support something that started under his watch?
What started? Single player games being shipped to PC? Or did he say multiplayer focused games will come to PC? Those are two different things.

Reindeer

Because fortnite e-sport = PC.

Ninja = twitch = fortnite = PC.

What is uncharted? what person that only plays on PC even heard of it? how did they ever got in contact with the IP? they don't.
Uncharted is one of the biggest single player games out there. You make it sound like all PC gamers are eSports gamers and only care for online focused games. There's a huge market for single player games on PC, one just has to look at sales of Witcher 3 to realise that.

Last edited:

Kenpachii

Uncharted is one of the biggest single player games out there. You make it sound like all PC gamers are eSports gamers and only care for online focused games. There's a huge market for single player games on PC, one just has to look at sales of Witcher 3 to realise that.

Because again, witcher = a IP that's very very very well known in the PC community for a very long time. Gog is also very well known with the PC community and widely supported . It has a long history on PC on modding and everything.

Uncharted is completely irrelevant for the PC space.

While console gamers find it hard to believe that sony exclusives that for them are the major mile stones in gaming are completely irrelevant for another platform gamer. The reality is, the biggest juggernaut of a game that came out this year for many PC gamer is TBC classic. All my friends every single one is playing it and they are all PC gamers only. They have zero idea what PS5 is out or what games are releasing on it. Zero interest.

Yet if you hear a console gamer talk, and mention tbc. they will probably say TBC what? they never came into contact with it so they have no clue what it even stands for. And straight up talk over it like it doesn't even exist.

This is why PC and Console gamers clash against eachother constantly. While PS5 gamers think there uncharteds and R&C are massive. A PC gamer doesn't even know about it or care about it, they are more busy with the next patch for there mmo or online game that they are playing.

While console gamers are trying to 1 up eachother with useless metacritic scores and awards, pc gamers are basically just readed some forum reviews on a expansion of there game, and some steam reviews and ask people in there games or friends about a game and buy a game based on that. metacritic doesn't even exist for most PC gamers. Its completely irrelevant.

While PC gamers are gloating over and all talking about this gem called valheim, console gamers are busy with waiting for the next spiderman.
When a console gamer says, lol spiderman looks goood. valheim looks like trash.
PC gamer will say, lol 80 euro's for 10 hours of gameplay???????, valheim gave me 300 hours for 10 bucks. How would anybody buy that game.

They play entirely different games, sometimes the games overlap but a lot of times they don't. And with that there influences on those other platforms are non existent.

Last edited:

Reindeer

Because again, witcher = a IP that's very very very well known in the PC community for a very long time. Gog is also very well known with the PC community and widely supported . It has a long history on PC on modding and everything.

Uncharted is completely irrelevant for the PC space.

While console gamers find it hard to believe that sony exclusives that for them are the major mile stones in gaming are completely irrelevant for another platform gamer. The reality is, the biggest juggernaut of a PC game that just came out was TBC classic, it was talked about everywhere. all my friends are playing it ( i would play it if i wasn't burned out on wow ), yet its the main game people focused on this year in my friend circle. PS5 and all there games in there brain might as well not even exist.

Yet if you hear a console gamer talk, it might as well not even exist. If they even know what TBC stands for, they probably don't. why not? never came into contact with it.
You making it sound like nobody knows and nobody wans Sony games, lol. Horizon Zero Dawm sold 750 000 in its first month on PC, a very impressive number for a 3,5 year old game that nobody should apparently care about. I'm absolutely not buying what you're selling, it boggles my mind that you think that people won't download a free launcher to play some of the highest rated single player games out there. Tens of millions have downloaded Epic Launcher to get free giveaway games, but they apparently won't download Sony launcher to play games they want, lol.

Last edited:

demonstr8

Looking at Sony’s latest quarterly statements, they have under $5 billion in their cash balance and only about another $1 billion in AR. Not sure where your getting tens of billions. That’s nothing compared to what Microsoft has in their account. Even then, “tens of billions” in cash is not enough to convince a board to approve a $7 billion acquisition. No company at that level would spend a percentage like that on an acquisition that would also require further expenses before producing any revenue. You don’t need to know Sony as a business entity to figure that out.
It's funny how you somehow know the amount of cash on hand Microsoft has and that it makes Sony's amount look like nothing in comparison but if you simply applied that same formula you used to know Microsofts' amount to Sony you would discover immediately that Sony has a lot more than 5 billion in cash.

My conclusion is you are either full of shit or don't know what you're talking about, it doesn't matter which one it is though - all that matters is that you are wrong. Go peddle your lies elsewhere, corporate shill.

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
What started? Single player games being shipped to PC? Or did he say multiplayer focused games will come to PC? Those are two different things.
He never specified multiplayer, bloomberg assumed thats what he meant.

Rexket

Neo Member
Looking at Sony’s latest quarterly statements, they have under $5 billion in their cash balance and only about another $1 billion in AR. Not sure where your getting tens of billions. That’s nothing compared to what
It's funny how you somehow know the amount of cash on hand Microsoft has and that it makes Sony's amount look like nothing in comparison but if you simply applied that same formula you used to know Microsofts' amount to Sony you would discover immediately that Sony has a lot more than 5 billion in cash.

My conclusion is you are either full of shit or don't know what you're talking about, it doesn't matter which one it is though - all that matters is that you are wrong. Go peddle your lies elsewhere, corporate shill.
Admittedly I did forget to consider the usd to yen conversion so yes Sony is at about $40 billion. However Microsoft has around $130 billion. That said I stand by my point. Even at that cash balance, Sony would not be able to drop a $7 billion purchase on a studio as no sane board would approve that and investors would be concerned. That’s not good business.

Secondly, I do own a PlayStation, not an Xbox. Not sure how you think I’m a corporate shill.

Reindeer

He never specified multiplayer, bloomberg assumed thats what he meant.

I would assume Layden had to approve this article by Bloomberg and I don't remember him correcting them. They clearly say he said it.
oC2Yeo6.jpg

Last edited:

Dream-Knife

Banned
I would assume Layden had to approve this article by Bloomberg and I don't remember him correcting them. They clearly say he said it.
oC2Yeo6.jpg
Particularly multiplayer, not only multiplayer.

Regardless, Layden supported games coming to PC, and Sony still wants the games to come to PC.

Reindeer

Particularly multiplayer, not only multiplayer.

Regardless, Layden supported games coming to PC, and Sony still wants the games to come to PC.
Common, you can put two and two together, Layden was obviously talking about games like Predator, not Horizon, Days Gone, Uncharted and whatever else is coming. I mean the guy left shortly after Days Gone came out on PS4, lol. Even Horizon coming to PC rumour started couple of months after he left, no way he was talking about these games coming to PC while he was there.

Last edited:

Zeroing

Banned
I’ll make a quick summary of this tread

… it seams some PC gamers are entitled or think they are too good for anything!
Here’s a company releasing their exclusives on PC yet some pc gamers still shit on it…

then we have the fans saying Sony shouldn’t release exclusives while they have meltdowns when a studio needs to be downsized… while they ( fans ) not realize that having such games on pc will make their favorite studios grow…

meanwhile we have Xbox fans arguing their favorite brand is filthy rich…

Kenpachii

You making it sound like nobody knows and nobody wans Sony games, lol. Horizon Zero Dawm sold 750 000 in its first month on PC, a very impressive number for a 3,5 year old game that nobody should apparently care about. I'm absolutely not buying what you're selling, it boggles my mind that you think that people won't download a free launcher to play some of the highest rated single player games out there. Tens of millions have downloaded Epic Launcher to get free giveaway games, but they apparently won't download Sony launcher to play games they want, lol.

No that's what u get out of it, its not what i say at all. Also i am talking here about PC gamer crowd only that sony likely wants to reach.

There own client, will have zero users on it. And will have far less exposure towards the PC gaming crowd as they don't like to venture outside of there comfortable zones. The sales will always be far lower. That's just the reality and that's why everybody returns or always ends up on steam.

Then for comparing epic launcher with sony's launcher is not much useful. epic fortnite is basically PC gaming the game, uncharted is everything but that. Also epic is massively investing into there own platform by hyjacking well known PC ip's to get people on there platform and by throwing as much free games at the wall as they can. Even then i am not sure if people care much and buy much on his store. Sony will have a huge wall to ride up against and frankly not worth it in my opinion. As they will have to keep dropping games, while on steam they can drip feed all they want.

Then about highest rated single player games out there.

638fecbcf7069885faad6a56e9cf37b7.png
[

PC gamers don't see it, don't know it and that's the end of it.

And about horizon being this juggernaut of a success lol.

here's a PC game that's also unknown when it released on steam. 500k peak. ( 5 million sales first month )

4f7f9b3c01140b214e5ee527aa968c4a.png

e2a6dee8670d1685eca2d3e914fcb85d.png

700k in the first month? interesting numbers. I think they are full of shit as the game came out in august 2020. Its pretty much a death IP on PC land.

Or a lot of people bought the game and never booted it up somehow, feels rigged like hell. Or i am reading the information wrong.

Then to think on console its a 10m sold ip.

Last edited:

Reindeer

No that's what u get out of it, its not what i say at all. Also i am talking here about PC gamer crowd only that sony likely wants to reach.

There own client, will have zero users on it. And will have far less exposure towards the PC gaming crowd as they don't like to venture outside of there comfortable zones. The sales will always be far lower. That's just the reality and that's why everybody returns or always ends up on steam.

Then for comparing epic launcher with sony's launcher is not much useful. epic fortnite is basically PC gaming the game, uncharted is everything but that. Also epic is massively investing into there own platform by hyjacking well known PC ip's to get people on there platform and by throwing as much free games at the wall as they can. Even then i am not sure if people care much and buy much on his store. Sony will have a huge wall to ride up against and frankly not worth it in my opinion. As they will have to keep dropping games, while on steam they can drip feed all they want.

Then about highest rated single player games out there.

638fecbcf7069885faad6a56e9cf37b7.png
[

PC gamers don't see it, don't know it and that's the end of it.

And about horizon being this juggernaut of a success lol.

here's a PC game that's also unknown when it released on steam. 500k peak. ( 5 million sales first month )

4f7f9b3c01140b214e5ee527aa968c4a.png

e2a6dee8670d1685eca2d3e914fcb85d.png

700k in the first month? interesting numbers. I think they are full of shit as the game came out in august 2020. Its pretty much a death IP on PC land.

Or a lot of people bought the game and never booted it up somehow, feels rigged like hell.

Then to think on console its a 10m sold ip.
Your whole theory is based on assumptions and nothing else. You keep ignoring how so many people downloaded Epic Launcher to get free games, but you think they won't download one to get Sony games they desire. That makes zero sense.

I'm not sure what concurrent players have anything to do with total sales... Again, more assumptions.

Last edited:

teezzy

Banned
The developers need to be remunerated for their effort and time and the quality of product.

Also PC is an almost unlimited combination of parts combinations.... the console model distributes an optimized setup with the most advanced tech per dollar it can, thus making it more economical for developers to spend time on new techniques and graphics technology for their games. High end cinematics and motion capture.

Also nobody addressed the ever increasing levels of homogeneity in the industry due to companies no longer doing proper exclusives.

tenor.gif

Kenpachii

Your whole theory is based on assumptions and nothing else. You keep ignoring how so many people downloaded Epic Launcher to get free games, but you think they won't download one to get Sony games they desire. That makes zero sense.

I'm not sure what concurrent players have anything to do with total sales... Again, more assumptions.

U can't have proof unless sony makes the shop. Obviously its a assumption.

I explained the epic part, not going to repeat myself.

concurrent players give you a good idea how relevant the game is.. The money part i have no clue about just as i mentioned in the reaction itself, it just feels shady but who knows they could be right.

Anyway, at this point i just feel like u want to disagree for the sake of it. I explained my points multiple times in different ways, u keep deriving from the points try to make arguments that in my opinion feel like waste of time ( result in endless repeating in different ways basically ). ( no offense ).

Its time for me to move on now, done with this conversation. Believe what u wanna believe.

I stick with mine opinion that making a sony client to sell there games in, is a waste of time and completely useless. As i saw zero argumentation on why it would be beneficial to them.

Last edited:

Reindeer

U can't have proof unless sony makes the shop. Obviously its a assumption.

I explained the epic part, not going to repeat myself.

concurrent players give you a good idea how relevant the game is.. The money part i have no clue about just as i mentioned in the reaction itself, it just feels shady but who knows they could be right.

Anyway, at this point i just feel like u want to disagree for the sake of it. I explained my points multiple times in different ways, u keep deriving from the points try to make arguments that in my opinion feel like waste of time ( result in endless repeating in different ways basically ). ( no offense ).

Its time for me to move on now, done with this conversation. Believe what u wanna believe.

I stick with mine opinion that making a sony client to sell there games in, is a waste of time and completely useless. As i saw zero argumentation on why it would be beneficial to them.
Nothing you said is backed by credible facts and yet you say that I'm just looking to disagree with you. Lol, ok. Next you gonna tell me nobody is gonna download Nintendo launcher if they decide to bring their games to PC just because Nintendo is not synonyms with PC. This is absurd logic (or lack thereof), it makes no sense whatsoever. I'll return your words back to you: you're free to believe whatever it is you wanna believe.

Last edited:

ACESHIGH

Banned
Sonys PC port initiative main goal is to reach players from emerging markets that play on PC. If they set up their own launcher and pricing is as terrible as on PSN they can GTFO.

Release everything on steam , gog and epic and call it a day.

Holammer

Said it elsewhere and in these here forums, Sony's push on PC is because they want to make the next internet phenomenon and grab the entire enchilada for themselves.
The first simultaneous PS4/PS5/PC title will no doubt be one of the first party studio's GaaS offering. This is not a spur of the moment thing they just thought up and diverted resources to, it's been discussed and planned since PUBG blew up on PC and Epic's subsequent retooling of an abject failure into a cash cow.
With my galaxy level brain I predict they'll churn out games in popular genres, like Crafting/Survival and Battle Royale, maybe even something animal crossing style.

Mergers and acquisitions are much more complicated than simply walking up to a company and buying it like it's a product on a shelf.

If I had $100,000 in my bank account I wouldn't drop $50k cash to buy a BMW just because my millionaire friend bought a Mercedes. Same applies with businesses.

Microsoft has an order of magnitude more cash in hand than Sony at least. They can much more easily stomach large M&A. Sony meanwhile has been spinning off and downsizing business units to enhance profitability.

Sony purchased Insomniac because it was a smart investment that didn't cost an astronomical amount.

I'm sure Sony could theoretically afford to buy Zenimax, but would their shareholders approve such a massive M&A? Who knows? Would Microsoft (or Google or Amazon) simply out bid them? Who knows.

demonstr8

I don't know why you're entering a conversation that has already finished but I'll respond to the only part of your comment that wasn't already established information or stating the obvious about the topic at hand.
Microsoft has an order of magnitude more cash in hand than Sony at least. They can much more easily stomach large M&A. Sony meanwhile has been spinning off and downsizing business units to enhance profitability.
Have they? I'll use the Insomniac acquisition since you brought that up. Since then Sony have executed the following acquisitions;
  • Nevion
  • Pure Flix SVOD Service
  • AWAL, Kobalt Neighboring Rights (from Kobalt Music Group)
  • Evolution Championship Series (EVO)
and taken the following minority stakes in these companies;
  • Bilibili
  • Eleven_(company)
  • Epic Games
  • Kadokawa Corporation
  • Epic Games (again)
  • Discord
If you can produce a recent list of spun off businesses and downsizing of business units that greater than the above then I will concede that the above statement is true although you should know that they haven't spun off any section of their company in over 2 FY's, have rejected calls from hedge funds and major shareholders to spin off their semiconductors and entertainment divisions, this year are having record revenue and profit and paying employees seven months salary bonuses and officially made a bid to acquire Leyou prior to being acquired by Tencent which if bought would have come at a premium would have cost them over 1 billion - as Tencent acquired them for 1.5 billion - so based on that evidence your statement currently looks false.

RaySoft

yes he said just that

"But I want to emphasize that PlayStation will remain the best place to play our PlayStation Studios titles at launch."
emphasis on: at launch

"But we do value PC gamers, and we’ll continue to look at the right times to launch each game."
emphasis on: each game

in practice timed console exclusive and release of all games on PC. he said this.
He didnt say this, you interpreted it that way.
It's three statements taken out of context.

The "right times to launch each game" line is refering to each game they choose to launch, simple as that. The PS5 would be robbed of it's promise if all games were to be hamstrung by a PC release later. The PC have some serious catching up to do on it's storage i/o to even be able to run the games that are comming.

Top Bottom