• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hero Academy |OT| free iPhone MP strategy game from Orcs Must Die/Age of Empires devs

Shaneus

Elves are clearly my favorite team, but I still think the Council is the strongest. It got it all: amazing damage dealers, remote stomp, rez items, strong tanks, chain damage... I could go on. I don't play them much though. I get too comforable. Like the DE's quirkiness.
Yeah, same. I find it too hard to get a wraith fully levelled up, though :/

Shaneus

It's really, really hard. You have to set it up, and count on the opponent's lack of cunning. Pretty hard with most of you guys ;)
Yup! I think I've only ever done it once. Once he's powered up it's stupidly easy, but even taking him out of the equation completely, I still love to play with the elves the best. By far the best ranged/splash attacks out of all the sides IMO.

Shaneus

Man, I've tried firing it up a few times the last couple of days, but sketchy wireless data coupled with TOO FUCKING LONG loading times has pretty much broken it for me. Waiting on the robot splash, then the main menu, then loading the games list, then loading the game, then having the game kick you to the main menu if you lose data at the wrong moment... it's an exercise in absolute frustration.

I haven't forgotten about y'all, but I just can't enjoy it as it is.

Sotha Sil

Welcome! Wario is banned though, so he can't can add names anymore... I'm considering making a new OT with updated info, what do you guys say?

Ryan_

Welcome! Wario is banned though, so he can't can add names anymore... I'm considering making a new OT with updated info, what do you guys say?

Would be nice!

You can add me on Ryanrh. Only played one friend of mine but I figured some more games and practice can't hurt and could even be fun! If someone wants to give me a few pointers, though, I would be much obliged. You can always PM me :)

See you in the academy!

Naka

Or talk to a mod and see what they want you to do? Maybe you can create a topic and just have it merged with this one and yours can be first? Hate to lose all the discussion.

Sotha Sil

Or talk to a mod and see what they want you to do? Maybe you can create a topic and just have it merged with this one and yours can be first? Hate to lose all the discussion.

Good idea, that's pretty much what I wanted to do! I'll begin working on the new OT, and ask a mod about merging the threads.

Shaneus

I misspoke, I actually have a 4th generation. It's a shame too since the game is fun.
I'm completely clueless with Touch generations, I was just saying that even with a 4S the latest update has completely broken any instaplay ability for me. When I can be up and playing Pinball Arcade (or any other game) within a few seconds yet have to wait at least a minute or two for HA, there's not much incentive to fire it up (except for playing against you guys <3).

Shaneus

Hay guise, when we're sick of Hero Academy (lol) we can check out this totally rad new game, Knights Fight:
mza_1385383487659042542.320x480-75.jpg

mza_2533499669888226178.320x480-75.jpg

(yes, this is serious)

Shaneus

What's even worse is that it looks like Lifehacker AU are completely clueless about the app store and mentioned that it's on sale. Weird, and completely fucking atrocious. I might see if it's available on the "jailbroken app store" to test it.

Shaneus

Man, I'm sure most of my games have expired by now. Sincere apologies for that, guys. Seriously. The wait time and network sensitivity makes it basically impossible to play unless I'm at home (where I have better things to do) :(

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Alright guys, just got back from my 1week-vacation (which was the reason I didn't restart any of my games beforehand), but I'm ready again! Please hit me up with some invites, I'll send some out myself too :) MY game list feels so empty :(

EDIT: HA nick is Smiley90. :D

Jako

Alright guys, just got back from my 1week-vacation (which was the reason I didn't restart any of my games beforehand), but I'm ready again! Please hit me up with some invites, I'll send some out myself too :) MY game list feels so empty :(

Hey hey! Welcome back, accepting the game right now!

Naka

Welcome back! I just got the push notification. Work is hectic today so I'll catch up on my games this evening.

Smiley90

I just started a game with everyone who was still in my list, it doesn't go tooo far back unfortunately, so Tangerous was the last on my list, I sent out like 10 invites or so lol. Anyone who didn't get one and wants to play hit me up with an invite please, HA name is Smiley90 :)

Jako

God my 3GS battery has been performing worse and worse...I guess iPhone 5 will be a day one.

Or I could spend 20$ for a new battery.

Sotha Sil

I just started a game with everyone who was still in my list, it doesn't go tooo far back unfortunately, so Tangerous was the last on my list, I sent out like 10 invites or so lol. Anyone who didn't get one and wants to play hit me up with an invite please, HA name is Smiley90 :)

Welcome back!

IMPROVE?!?!

God help us all.

Ha! I don't think I'm that great, compared to some people here. I am getting my ass beat by SothaSil and pepboy right now, but this may be because I am trying to actually strategize now and I am not good at it. Board management is crucial in this game, and some units still put me in fits.

Right now SothaSil has what may as well be an un-killable Void Monk fully kitted out (helm, soul stone, sword, and potion buff) that is harassing the shit out of me.

Ha! I don't think I'm that great, compared to some people here. I am getting my ass beat by SothaSil and pepboy right now, but this may be because I am trying to actually strategize now and I am not good at it. Board management is crucial in this game, and some units still put me in fits.

Right now SothaSil has what may as well be an un-killable Void Monk fully kitted out (helm, soul stone, sword, and potion buff) that is harassing the shit out of me.

Oh SS is pretty much unbeatable. I ain't never played pepboy! I should send an invite.

I can see that you would want to improve to compete in that elite tier. I consider myself mid-tier. Still hitting "Send" and then realizing I could have made a better smarter move.

I'm KidInsomnia, BTW. You've beat me like four times in a row now.

:)

mercviper

So I've been getting errors populating my game list the past week. Basically says "Cannot retrieve games at this time. Try again later." Reinstalled and same issue. Anyone encounter this before/is there something else I should do to try and fix this?

Edit: Fixed itself this afternoon, so weird.

Oh SS is pretty much unbeatable. I ain't never played pepboy! I should send an invite.

I can see that you would want to improve to compete in that elite tier. I consider myself mid-tier. Still hitting "Send" and then realizing I could have made a better smarter move.

I'm KidInsomnia, BTW. You've beat me like four times in a row now.

:)

Yeah I know :p

You are close. I consider myself mid-tier as well. I don't think I do anything special. I just try like 7 or 8 things on every turn and decide on one that I think is best. That's my favorite part of this game. In chess, you can't move the piece around to get a visual idea of what the consequences will be. In Hero Academy, you can. I would suck so much if not for that.

Also, when deciding on a move, try to think how you would react to that. Do the math in your head to figure out how much your opponent can respond, and evaluate the risk associated with your move. The ultimate goal is to force your opponent to make a Sophie's Choice. Give him a couple options, all of which have a bad consequence. Something like this is great:

Kill a high value unit and leave 2+ of your units in the area to deal with the response. If he wants to heal his unit, he'll hopefully have use a turn to to move a healer closer. Then, he has this choice. Spend two turns to rez his unit and heal it, leaving him with only two more turns. This means he likely cannot kill either of your units (which you use next turn to kill the first unit, or better yet, the healer). The other option is that he only rezzes his unit, leaving him 3 turns to attack and kill (but not stomp) one of your two units. But then he's fucked, because his unit is left with probably 100 health (more if humans) and your remaining unit can kill and stop it in 2 turns. Then you've got three more turns to rez your dead unit and run the fuck away (or, if you can, keep the pressure on and really put him back on his heels).

Yeah I know :p

You are close. I consider myself mid-tier as well. I don't think I do anything special. I just try like 7 or 8 things on every turn and decide on one that I think is best. That's my favorite part of this game. In chess, you can't move the piece around to get a visual idea of what the consequences will be. In Hero Academy, you can. I would suck so much if not for that.

Also, when deciding on a move, try to think how you would react to that. Do the math in your head to figure out how much your opponent can respond, and evaluate the risk associated with your move. The ultimate goal is to force your opponent to make a Sophie's Choice. Give him a couple options, all of which have a bad consequence. Something like this is great:

Kill a high value unit and leave 2+ of your units in the area to deal with the response. If he wants to heal his unit, he'll hopefully have use a turn to to move a healer closer. Then, he has this choice. Spend two turns to rez his unit and heal it, leaving him with only two more turns. This means he likely cannot kill either of your units (which you use next turn to kill the first unit, or better yet, the healer). The other option is that he only rezzes his unit, leaving him 3 turns to attack and kill (but not stomp) one of your two units. But then he's fucked, because his unit is left with probably 100 health (more if humans) and your remaining unit can kill and stop it in 2 turns. Then you've got three more turns to rez your dead unit and run the fuck away (or, if you can, keep the pressure on and really put him back on his heels).

Yeah I think about that sort of stuff a lot, but I need to be a little less quick on the draw and think about it more.

Thanks!!

Pepboy

StrikerObi, fun games. Did you want to play again? Based on a few pages back, I'm not supposed to offer rematch, presumably because first turn player has advantage if first turn AP is full 5.

Benjamin Birdie/KidInsomnia -- is everything okay? I accepted your match and made opening move but no reply. I'm fine with waiting (asynchronous play and all) just want to check in.

SothaSil -- I'd like to play you, so I will send a match request. I only own council. Ive only played 2-3 games against dwarves and zero against tribe. So if you want a good match I recommend council or elves, but happy to learn at your hands.

Currently undefeated after 16-17 games, though a few were timeouts. Please someone kill me so I can put this game down. HAname: pepboyGAF

Smiley90

StrikerObi, fun games. Did you want to play again? Based on a few pages back, I'm not supposed to offer rematch, presumably because first turn player has advantage if first turn AP is full 5.

Benjamin Birdie/KidInsomnia -- is everything okay? I accepted your match and made opening move but no reply. I'm fine with waiting (asynchronous play and all) just want to check in.

SothaSil -- I'd like to play you, so I will send a match request. I only own council. Ive only played 2-3 games against dwarves and zero against tribe. So if you want a good match I recommend council or elves, but happy to learn at your hands.

Currently undefeated after 16-17 games, though a few were timeouts. Please someone kill me so I can put this game down. HAname: pepboyGAF

I'm in a game with you, oh pressure oh pressure.

Hey! Sorry! I'm pretty slow these days what with work.

Oy, I think I'm done going for Crystals. I have two games I'm going to lose with the opponent at 3% Crystal Level

FUCK THAT MAYNE.

I did rock this awesome move where Mercviper had a fully buffed knight right standing on the crystal in front of my Power Shot Shotgun Dude so I hopped over him then hopped over a healer and killed his Ninja.

I guess you had to see it, but omg I really loled watching it.

Naka

Oy, I think I'm done going for Crystals. I have two games I'm going to lose with the opponent at 3% Crystal Level

FUCK THAT MAYNE.

I did rock this awesome move where Mercviper had a fully buffed knight right standing on the crystal in front of my Power Shot Shotgun Dude so I hopped over him then hopped over a healer and killed his Ninja.

I guess you had to see it, but omg I really loled watching it.

I go back and forth on crystals vs killing guys. It really depends on my team and how my opponent is attacking. When tribe first came out I pretty much exclusively used them to attack the characters as opposed to crystals.

Top Bottom