• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes & Generals Early Access F2P WW2 MMO FPS/RTS

Steam Page

Heroes & Generals is a Free2Play Massively Online FPS with a Strategic Multiplayer Campaign, set in the midst of World War II Europe, where the United States, Germany and the Soviet Union all fight each other for control.

The game uniquely merges epic first-person shooter action with a rich strategic layer, where your decisions have the power to turn the tide in an ongoing war among thousands of online players.

Players can choose to play as 'Heroes', fighting in the trenches, flying planes, commanding tanks and other vehicles on the battlefield, or take control of the war as 'Generals', determining the strategic direction and supporting fellow players by managing battlefield assets, army units and reinforcements.

The 'Generals' part of the game is also playable via the companion app 'Heroes & Generals: Mobile Command' which is available for iOS and Android.

As Infantry, Tank Gunner, Fighter Pilot, Recon, Paratrooper or General, your actions can turn the tide of a persistent online war, fought by players across the world!

Noticed there isn't much talk about this game on GAF. It's almost ready for full release according to the dev team. It's been in development since 2011 and has been open beta much of that time. It recently sizable update and the playerbase though small seems to be on the rise.

It's free to play with gold currency used to speed up the grind which can seem brutal at times. Everything takes in game currency, weapons, upgrades, classes and almost everything needs to be repaired, but if you auto repair you tend to make much more money per game then you spend on repairs.

The battlefields are absolutely massive. Planes, tanks, vehicles, paratrooping etc. Based around capturing objective and respawning in waves. The metagame is an ongoing war that is run by players who are generals who allocate assault teams and armor.

Treat this game as an MMO not as an FPS game. Each class needs it's own character. Weapon unlocks and upgrades don't carry over. Experience does not carry over. You need to work hard to get your character geared up enough to use and upgrade the stronger weapons so you can compete with the bad boys. Running and gunning across an open field will likely get you destroyed by snipers or tanks. Going for objective pays more than going for kills. Teamwork is very important. You can't even access larger maps till you reach level 5. It gives you a lot of time to gear up a little and understand the game before feeding you to the dogs.

I am by no means an expert and have only played around 40 hours so far but they have been a fun/frustrating 40 hours in a game that feels very unique in this space. Anyone else play?

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Noticed there isn't much talk about this game on GAF.

Is there more than two maps now? I tried it in March (and played with WWMonkey) but I couldn't stand the grind + lack of variation in the maps.

Is there more than two maps now? I tried it in March (and played with WWMonkey) but I couldn't stand the grind + lack of variation in the maps.

In levels 1-4 there are about 5 small maps. Once you hit 5 the large maps open up and there are more. many of them are variations with the same set piece though.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
In levels 1-4 there are about 5 small maps. Once you hit 5 the large maps open up and there are more. many of them are variations with the same set piece though.

Well, I just retried it. There's now a "death queue" similar to RO2. In addition you still can't choose cap points like Battlefield to spawn on. It's only your damn team spawn and then running back to the spawn to defend.

Yay. :/

Well, I just retried it. There's now a "death queue" similar to RO2. In addition you still can't choose cap points like Battlefield to spawn on. It's only your damn team spawn and then running back to the spawn to defend.

Yay. :/

death queue tends to be short for me when it happens. I don't understand how it works exactly. The larger maps with 15 checkpoints do let you deploy on the captued ones or in a deployed vehicle. The game begins at level 5. before then it's just a battlefield lite to help ease you in.

Top Bottom