• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Heroes Of Might And Magic 6 Screens + Artwork Leaks.

V_Ben

Banned
From Heroes Community;
http://heroescommunity.com/viewthread.php3?TID=24719&pagenumber=29
Hey guys, I can confirm to you, that Heroes of Might & Magic 6 is in the works. To proof this I have this screenshot. Reveal is 18.8. on gamescom.

1281959402_hm6_01.jpg

1281959402_hm6_02.jpg

thanks butsomuch!

peakish

Is there any info on developers/publisher for this? I thought Nival did a good work on the fifth game even if it did have a lack of content. A sixth game, refining and expanding their work on the fifth, should be good.

Edit: Pics very much look like 5 in style.

V_Ben

Banned
I'm pretty sure Ubi owns the ip now, so they're probably publishing. As for developer, i have no idea. Ubi DID buy massive entertainment (ground control, world in conflict) a while back, and this could be the fruits of their labour.

V_Ben

Banned
Joseph Merrick said:
yeah, could be massive. could maybe also be blue byte (settlers7, anno1404). too bad nival are all about shitty mmos now

Didn't think of them. That would make just as much sense :D

szaromir

Banned
peakish Is there any info on developers/publisher for this? I thought Nival did a good work on the fifth game even if it did have a lack of content.
Not after the add-ons. I am playing HoMM5 at the moment and really enjoying it, city balance seems to be a lot better than HoMM3 and skill tree is slightly changed but works a lot better as well. Really interested in 6, but after 5 I hope they put a heavy twist on the series. 4 tried but failed, but this one could succeed...

peakish

szaromir said:
Not after the add-ons. I am playing HoMM5 at the moment and really enjoying it, city balance seems to be a lot better than HoMM3 and skill tree is slightly changed but works a lot better as well. Really interested in 6, but after 5 I hope they put a heavy twist on the series. 4 tried but failed, but this one could succeed...
I never did try the addons for some reason, maybe I should. Had lost interest by the time they released I guess :p

Minsc

Gold Member
peakish said:
I never did try the addons for some reason, maybe I should. Had lost interest by the time they released I guess :p

The second expansion for V is amazing, play it. It adds a new creature for every unit of every town, and adds a new town. The campaign is very challenging as well, and I believe it is standalone.

V's battle are much more enjoyable than 3 or 2 imo, much larger battlefield, more unit stacks to control, and you can plan out your moves much better thanks to the turn indicator at the bottom.

Hope VI improves on V, if it does, it will be a great game, to make up for Disciples III, I still can't believe the reviews and community has scared me away from playing the sequel to one of my favorite games :(

MoxManiac

Yeah it's tragic what happened to Disciples III.

Little concerned at the resources in the screenshot. Only one other resource aside from wood and iron? Hope they aren't dumbing things down further.

Dennis

Banned
Minsc said:
The second expansion for V is amazing, play it. It adds a new creature for every unit of every town, and adds a new town. The campaign is very challenging as well, and I believe it is standalone.
Do you have a name? Might give it a try if it is stand-alone.

Looks like all the HoMM V games got really shitty reviews.

peakish

MoxManiac said:

Little concerned at the resources in the screenshot. Only one other resource aside from wood and iron? Hope they aren't dumbing things down further.
Yeah, it seems strange but it's hard to imagine a "more dumbed down" resource system, it's quite easy as it is ... must have a simple reason, like only showing current resources or something!

please don't let me down

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
spats said:
I need this. 5 was good, but HOMM3 is still my favourite by far.

I remeber DAYS spent at friend's house playing long 3-4 multiplayer matches.

Draft

Minsc said:
Hope VI improves on V, if it does, it will be a great game, to make up for Disciples III, I still can't believe the reviews and community has scared me away from playing the sequel to one of my favorite games :(
Disciples III got put aside for SC2, but from what I played, it's Disciples II with a different (and based on my short time, more engaging) battle system.

I like it, and I am comfortable recommending it to anyone who enjoyed D2.

Wiktor

Minsc said:
, to make up for Disciples III, I still can't believe the reviews and community has scared me away from playing the sequel to one of my favorite games :(
You should give Disciples III a chance. It's bassicaly what HoMM IV was - a good game on it's own, just not as good as previous part and too different from it.

The main complain about D3 is that it's too much like HoMM, so if you like both you might find it pretty good. I did. It wasn't anything earth shattering, but it was an nice enjoyable, even if a little too easy TBS.

Effect

Sweet. Been a big fan of the Heroes of Might and Magic since I stumbled across the 3rd one years ago. This just reminded me I still need to get the expansions for 5 as I kept putting them off for some reason. Just ordered the Epic Collection from Amazon.com for around $20.

MoxManiac

AdrianWerner said:
You should give Disciples III a chance. It's bassicaly what HoMM IV was - a good game on it's own, just not as good as previous part and too different from it.

The main complain about D3 is that it's too much like HoMM, so if you like both you might find it pretty good. I did. It wasn't anything earth shattering, but it was an nice enjoyable, even if a little too easy TBS.

Hmm, people made it sound like it was some kind of unplayable mess. Hyperbole for the lose, I guess. Maybe i'll give D3 a chance after all.

Minsc

Gold Member
DennisK4 said:
Do you have a name? Might give it a try if it is stand-alone.

Looks like all the HoMM V games got really shitty reviews.

Tribes of the East, it is standalone. I absolutely think as far as gameplay goes, it is more fun than HoMM II or III thanks to the battle system being much more enjoyable. It comes well recommend by Frag as well iirc.

There are times graphically it looks outstanding too (after cranking the AF to 16x few iso games don't), and if you've never seen the cities they're fun to view for the first time too, as the camera swoops around all the buildings you have built.

Draft said:
Disciples III got put aside for SC2, but from what I played, it's Disciples II with a different (and based on my short time, more engaging) battle system.

I like it, and I am comfortable recommending it to anyone who enjoyed D2.

AdrianWerner said:

Well that's encouraging... they're literally the first good words I've read anywhere about the game. I'll definitely grab it then. Disciples II was very challenging at times (and also cheap/frustrating, I definitely abused the save/load before combat a handful of times), hopefully if I crank the difficulty it will be enjoyable.

thefil said:
HoMM is a lot like King's Bounty, right? In that case I'm interested.
The tactical battle system is pretty much exactly the same. The key difference is that Heroes is a turn-based multiplayer strategy game. So, instead of moving one hero around a world map in real time acquiring troops based on money and leadership resources, you recruit multiple heroes and creatures based on money and other resources as you acquire structures based on a build tree. So, they are fairly different games even if the overall feel is familiar.

Anyway, great news. However, I'm still waiting on the announcement of the triumphant return of the hex battle grid.

Polk

peakish said:
Is there any info on developers/publisher for this? I thought Nival did a good work on the fifth game even if it did have a lack of content. A sixth game, refining and expanding their work on the fifth, should be good.
I've heard Black Hole Games is working on the game.

Infinity

Zaro said:
I haven't played HoMM since the third one, what did I miss?

HoMM IV was a disappointment to me, and I've played them all - even the first!. IMO, the gameplay was a little janky.

HoMM V was an improvement - not as good as 2 or 3, but good.

larvi

MoxManiac said:

Yeah in addition why do you need the resources shown in a HUD display like that unless they are turning it into a RTS (shudder)

peakish

larvi said:
Yeah in addition why do you need the resources shown in a HUD display like that unless they are turning it into a RTS (shudder)
Huh? What? Why wouldn't it be shown?

Besides, note the hourglass and seven day week, no way it's an RTS.

MoxManiac

Hopefully they put a more work into the AI this time - V's ai was pretty bad. Granted, the campaign scripting helped overcome this, but NWC never had trouble making good AI for H1-3.

Minsc

Gold Member
REMEMBER CITADEL said:
Disappointment.

V's only disappointing if you disliked II & III. V is like III on crack, so many more monsters, abilities and much better combat.

MoxManiac said:
Hopefully they put a more work into the AI this time - V's ai was pretty bad. Granted, the campaign scripting helped overcome this, but NWC never had trouble making good AI for H1-3.

I didn't really find any troubles in V that weren't in II or III in terms of AI, generally when you fought against a super powerful hero with tons of units and magic, they are a fairly component fight. I think a lot of II and III just relied on throwing harder battles at you overall, and you couldn't have as many troops, so it was harder to section off your archers and casters then as well.

larvi

peakish said:
Huh? What? Why wouldn't it be shown?

Besides, note the hourglass and seven day week, no way it's an RTS.

I dunno, it just gives me a Warcraft vibe for some reason. You really only need to know your resources when you are on a castle upgrade/army buy screen and if it's not changing in real time I don't really see the point of having it displayed like that. But yeah, the hourglass is reassuring.

Minsc said:
V's only disappointing if you disliked II & III. V is like III on crack, so many more monsters, abilities and much better combat.

No, I loved 3 and especially 2, but 5 didn't do much for me. It was okayish, but didn't really grab me. They overcomplicated certain things, from world map to combat, and that ruined it in my eyes. More is not always better, I much prefer restraint and focus in design.

larvi said:
I dunno, it just gives me a Warcraft vibe for some reason. You really only need to know your resources when you are on a castle upgrade/army buy screen and if it's not changing in real time I don't really see the point of having it displayed like that. But yeah, the hourglass is reassuring.
They were always displayed in 3 at the bottom of the screen as well.

MoxManiac

Minsc said:

I didn't really find any troubles in V that weren't in II or III in terms of AI, generally when you fought against a super powerful hero with tons of units and magic, they are a fairly component fight. I think a lot of II and III just relied on throwing harder battles at you overall, and you couldn't have as many troops, so it was harder to section off your archers and casters then as well.

The battle AI was fine, I was talking more about hero management on the field, castle and resource management, exploration, reacting to human players etc. It was all a step down from the original three games. It's especially apparent in a custom game with no scripting.

lordy88

REMEMBER CITADEL said:
No, I loved 3 and especially 2, but 5 didn't do much for me. It was okayish, but didn't really grab me. They overcomplicated certain things, from world map to combat, and that ruined it in my eyes. More is not always better, I much prefer restraint and focus in design.

I'm exactly the same. I was absolutely obsessed with III, I probably soaked over 500 hours in that game, and I really disliked the game engine in V. It didn't grab me nearly as much as III. Everything from the town layout to game pacing seemed like it lost its charm. I was kinda hoping for a new interpretation to be honest.

Edit: Trailer has been leaked:

http://www.jeuxactu.com/jatv-show-9395.html

- Shows no gameplay, comes out in 2011.

Minsc

Gold Member
MoxManiac said:
The battle AI was fine, I was talking more about hero management on the field, castle and resource management, exploration, reacting to human players etc. It was all a step down from the original three games. It's especially apparent in a custom game with no scripting.

Ah, that makes more sense then. I just played through the campaigns in their entirety for the original and both expansions. If the scripting helps it along significantly more than the custom game, I wouldn't have known. There's probably a good 150 hours of gameplay in the campaigns across the three games, so I didn't feel unsatisfied with only hitting those up.

I can understand the simplicity complaint too. V throws almost an overwhelming number of choices at you. Even creatures have multiple paths and abilities to take, and how you level your hero has a tremendous impact on how your creatures need to be handled in combat. It's all a lot of "more," and it didn't bother me.

I probably put around 500+ hours in to heroes III as well (large amount of that in to multi), I was active in a league and played probably an unhealthy amount of time, almost never losing. It was a while ago when I had a lot more time, I'd spend hours each night 3-5 days a week and think nothing of it, played that game for years.

Still, I didn't like V at first. I tried it and put it down after about 2-3 levels of the campaign. It wasn't until I came back to V a year later, that it clicked, and after allowing it a better chance, I quickly welcomed all the new things it brought to the game.

butsomuch

New official screens leaked

1281977767_mmh6_01.jpg

1281977767_mmh6_02.jpg

1281977767_mmh6_03.jpg

1281977767_mmh6_04.jpg

1281977767_mmh6_05.jpg

Gamescom CGI trailer has been leaked - DEVELOPER REVEALED
It's leak central over here: Nelgrith has posted us towards Jeuxactu TV, a site blatantly and unashamedly displaying the Heroes VI Gamescom trailer, packed with top-notch CGI, at least a day before its intended reveal by Ubisoft. Spoilers ahoy:

http://www.jeuxactu.com/jatv-show-9395.html

The trailer finally provides concrete answers to two of our most often-posed questions: who is developing the game, and when is it expected for release. Well, you heard it here first, people: Black Hole Entertainment, and TBA 2011.

EDIT: Don't bother clicking the link - it seems the trailer has since been removed from the site and replaced with some imagery of a French woman chatting about something. Don't worry, though: the video should be revealed, officially, very shortly.

Dennis

Banned
Looks like a cross between Trine and Kings Bounty.

Fucking excite.

Looks like they are giving this a proper budget.

Top Bottom