• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hershey's to battle Nutella for chocolate spread supremecy

Status
Not open for further replies.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
It’s War, Chocolatey, Sweet War: Hershey’s Unveils Its Own Spread To Fight Nutella

This is it. It’s time, finally! It feels like we’ve been preparing for this war all our lives. And by preparing we mean eating things that taste of chocolates and hazelnut and wondering what else could possibly exist with those flavors. Hershey’s has its answer, a line of chocolate spreads that seek to usurp the chocolate spread throne currently held by Nutella.

One of these new flavored spreads is direct hazelnut competition for Nutella, while the “chocolate” and “chocolate with almonds” versions are a bit more subtle in their coup attempts.

“The average American snacks more than two times a day and what better way to transform everyday snacks into delicious treats, than with the genuine chocolate flavor that only Hershey can deliver,” said a spokeswoman for Hershey’s in a press release (clearly choosing to ignore other chocolate flavored spreads on the market with that “only Hershey can deliver” bit).

kuWR9Fe.jpg

White Man

Hmmm, I'll give it a shot. I like Nutella but it's a shade too sweet. I can almost hear my dentist cringe when I eat it.

Borgnine

MBA in pussy licensing and rights management
Protip: put one in the microwave for 5 minutes, remove and drop a string down the center, allow to cool. Boom, instant candle.

sammich

Might give this a shot.. maybe, but i doubt it will dethrone Nutella. Still scarred from the Philadelphia Chocolate Cream cheese test. That was horrible.

Baleoce

Whilst we're on the topic of Hershey's..

Hershey's to make 3D chocolate printer

140116115635-3d-chocolate-printer-620xa.png

3D Systems (DDD) announced a deal with Hershey's (HSY, Fortune 500) Thursday to collaborate on developing a 3-D printer that makes chocolate and other edible products.
In a statement, 3D Systems said making printers that print chocolate is a good way to help the relatively new technology go mainstream. Hershey sees it as a great delivery system for its products.
"Whether it's creating a whole new form of candy or developing a new way to produce it, we embrace new technologies such as 3-D printing as a way to keep moving our timeless confectionery treats into the future," said William Papa, head of research and development at Hershey, in a statement.

PJV3

I tried a Hershey "chocolate" bar once, it had no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Nutella have nothing to fear.

AndyD

aka andydumi
Kroger has a generic Chocolate Hazelnut that is a good rival to nutella already. And one with honey too I think.

explodet

Have Americans only discovered Nutella recently?
Or did they only start noticing it when it started being available in 11 pound tubs?

You'd think Hershey would have gotten into the chocolate spread market earlier.

nutella.jpg

Italian American in the Northeast and I have known about it my whole life, but we did have to get it at specialty shops. Now its everywhere.

I love the commercial with the mom who puts Nutella on healthy things

rrs

Does it have real cocoa in it? If not, ha ha good luck losing to store brands.

Or did they only start noticing it when it started being available in 11 pound tubs?

nutella.jpg

Yes, but I haven't seen a jar that big for it.

FoneBone

i've known about nutella since the early 90's. i was introduced to it by my friend who was from germany though. ironically, he and his family moved here because his step-father was an engineer who was working on the machinery in the hershey's plant.

I actually tested out the Chocolate with Almonds in a survey thing I think about a year ago. Still have the jar with some of it still in there. Quite tasty and rich. Might be a little thin for a few folks out there.

Oh and it is extremely sweet. Probably sweeter than Nutella I want to say.

jgmo870

Banned
I tried the regular version and it's fine, what you'd expect from a chocolate spread. But its priced the same as Nutella/Dark Chocolate Dreams and pretty boring compared to those two.

JordanN

Banned

nutella.jpg

When I see that picture, it reminds me the world is running out of chocolate. :(

johnsmith

remember me
“The average American snacks more than two times a day and what better way to transform everyday snacks into delicious treats, than with the genuine chocolate flavor that only Hershey can deliver,”

This is why we're fat.

kurbaan

Banned
Yeah right. hersey can't even be bothered to use real chocolate in any of their candies. There is nothing chocolate about these spreads.

I actually tested out the Chocolate with Almonds in a survey thing I think about a year ago. Still have the jar with some of it still in there. Quite tasty and rich. Might be a little thin for a few folks out there.

Oh and it is extremely sweet. Probably sweeter than Nutella I want to say.

Well, that ends my interest in this product.

Seriously, Nutella's sweetness overwhelms the chocolate or nut flavors.

Samara

I have yet to taste the cream cheese chocolate one.

Nutella is good as long as its not more than a teaspoon. It just too sweet and strong of a flavor. Their black and white one is terrible

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom