• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hertz and frame rates make the biggest difference but, it still doesn't matter

Its quite interesting how people feel about higher fps.

I am 53 years old and going back to even 60 fps is quite jarring to me when playing a game like Rocket League.

When my 30 year old son visits who plays more games then I do he can not tell the difference between 60 to 144 fps.

Had my 15 year old nephew come over who plays Fortnite on a base PS4 and when he played on my PC at 144 he was blown away how fast he felt, he kept saying its so smooth.

I 100% play on PC with a controller and high frame rate is the biggest game changer for me even on controller.
I'm not sure how it is for other games; in Fortnite the framerate directly affects how fast you can perform actions like editing.

Imagine you are dragging a soaked paintbrush as fast as you can across the floor.
At 30fps you will have unpainted gaps in that stroke once you drag beyond a certain speed threshold.
At 120fps you'll get a completely smooth stroke of paint even if the speed at which you dragged the brush is enough to cause whiplash.

In short, some of the actions you can perform at high fps in Fortnite are impossible to perform at lower fps. It's not your eyes and hands that can't keep up, the game itself doesn't allow it.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Those who brag about 120, 144 or 240fps ... exclusively play the same type of genre for decades. A pal of mine from the uni. most likely still plays counter strike exclusively ...

20 YEARS OF FOKING "Go to A, go to B!" ... there are "zombies" people out there, who just play competitive games or just the one over and over again. They will never play anything else, they don´t care about consoles, they only care about sharing pictures of their : 360º no-scope-wall-backflip-headshots" --- WAAAH zo kwel! Mario 64 at 144fps aint better, Zelda BOTW 2020 at 144fps wont be better ... so i have to ask :

WHY CANT YOU ACCEPT IT, THAT WE DONT GIVE A WET FART ABOUT 144hz?

all about fartnigh, pggb?, pc sim-crap-wannabe-rich-via-streaming-BS-please-consider-subscribe-hit-the-bell-head-over-to-patron-donate ... all LAZY CUNTS in my book. streamer and thots of instagram have a lot in common. They just use a different platform.

Wanna know why Guild Wars 2 and MP games sucks? You can
jump. Ever since we´re able to jump in the Z-axis gaming went downhill. Now everyone jumps like dumb-fuck bunny with huge vibrator up their arse trying to elude, mess up with da hitbox system.

no idea why the first two words are hidden*

Im being facetious ... to some extent.
source.gif

JimboJones

Gonna see some crying when FPS game start supporting 120FPS performance modes next gen.

I recently got a 1080p 144htz freesynce moniter, the games that I can get running at 144 or 120fps sure is nice but even having freesync is kinda a game changer, not having to rely on strictly 30 or 60fps locks is really nice, and even allows frame-rates to fluctuate to some degree and it still feels really smooth.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I don't think I've ever gamed at more than 60 fps, unless some old ass PC games I played on a Pentium back in the day was so OP, it was more than 60 fps and I didn't know it. I'm not sure if old CRT monitors even supported 100+ fps.

People say 100+ fps makes a difference. I don't doubt that. But will be a case of diminishing returns.

I don't think my TV is HDMI 2.1/120 fps anyway. Got it in 2017. So as long as games progress to 60 fps as a standard, I'm all for it.

Kenpachii

I don't think I've ever gamed at more than 60 fps, unless some old ass PC games I played on a Pentium back in the day was so OP, it was more than 60 fps and I didn't know it. I'm not sure if old CRT monitors even supported 100+ fps.

People say 100+ fps makes a difference. I don't doubt that. But will be a case of diminishing returns.

I don't think my TV is HDMI 2.1/120 fps anyway. Got it in 2017. So as long as games progress to 60 fps as a standard, I'm all for it.

CRT's where superior in every way, there input lag was non existent, the 100hz crt i believe i had was absolute godly for shooters. flat screen destroyed it completely and only recently really got back towards acceptable performance again. however crt colors where utter dog shit.

Tv's are shit for high fps gaming, the problem with tv's are there super amounts of ghosting and huge input lag. Then come with consoles that sit with joysticks that have no accuraccy even remotely which needs to be heavily supplied with auto aim to even be remotely useful and then u got 4k resolutions with 60 fps that probably sit at ingame 30-40 ms which adds another layer of yank with it, with online servers that don't go over most likely 30 hz with it. there is a reason why people sit at 1080p in competitive sports and will not change for a second from it.

It's all trash.

Every single game profits out of high hz gaming, every single game gets far more responsive if you have higher framerate, lower ms, lower screen ms and low amounts of input from the game and software and high hertz screen even zelda breath of the wild at 100+ fps with gsync in a emulator vs switch 30 fps is day and night difference. Its from super smooth to incredible janky.

They did a good test on this video liked it a lot.

Last edited:

INC

30hz to 60hz does matter

60hz to 144hz does matter

144hz to 240hz.............maybe not so much unless its VR

sendit

I have a couple of 144 hz displays a tested a 240 hz and here is my conclusion.

When I jumped from 60 hz to 144 hz it was a massive change and I loved it.

Going from 144 to 240 it didn't feel any different.

But after using the 240 hz for a few weeks when I went back to 144 I could feel the drop, things were not as fluid in game.

Now that I am back used to 144 thats where I plan to stay and really hope next gen devs want to push 1440p 120hz games.

Nah. People love eye candy, resulting in most Devs targetting 30 FPS (For both the PS5 and XSX). This is the prime benefit of gaming on a PC. Pay to have hardware capable of pushing 144 FPS + eye candy.

Mendou

Banned
As someone who's seen what a 240hz refresh rate feels like, I would rather some games like Call of Duty look the same but run at 120fps. Most people on here seem to have not experienced it, and as such it's downplayed. At the very least I would want PS4/Xbone COD games running at 120fps in backwards compatibility mode in the new machines.

For those that don't know what it feels like, use the iPad Pro for some time and compare it to a normal iPad to understand the difference. It's night and day.

Amaranty

Think Sony and MS will push devs to support it though (through higher FPS)? I mean, it's nice for the PC couch gamers like myself, but the real breakthrough would be if it landed on consoles.
Maybe 2D games or graphically non-intensive games (Fortnite, Rocket League or Apex Legends). I think we will still see a lot of 30 fps titles due to ray-tracing. 4K/60FPS with ray-tracing doesn't seem realistic.

The 3 regulars I play with basically have retarded eyes. They couldn't tell 30 from 60fps if their life depended on it. They played Anthem on Xbox without noticing any issues.
As someone who gets sick from anything below ~50fps I can't wait for the next console generation. I hope they actually turn 60fps into the standard for any kind of game...

Soodanim

Gold Member
I currently have a 144hz monitor and a 60hz TV. I will happily play on either. From 4 or 5 years of 144hz, it breaks down like this for me:

<60fps
Bad. I adjust if i, as we all do, but it’s a big red flag or I’m buying a PC port. The main reason I jumped to PC.​
60fps
The baseline. Cliche? Maybe. But I will happily play at 60fps, and drops are noticeable.​
60-90
Noticeable bumps in smoothness. If you’re playing something like GTAV, where it can vary quite a lot in this range, speed feels better when you get these boosts.​
90-144
Diminishing returns kick in. A 10fps drop is a much smaller difference relative to what it was before. I have tried to framecount guess 144 vs 120 and I couldn’t reliably do it.​
240?
Probably overkill. I would love to try it, but outside of frame advantage in CS I really don’t see this being worth it for normal gaming. The power required to put out that many frames could be better used somewhere else. Having said that, it must start to give you an idea of what perfect smoothness is.​

I think I’m going to play Sleeping Dogs today. Might even go for some 120hz ULMB action. Bit darker, but smooth. Actually, is 240hz as smooth as ULMB 120hz?

bad guy

as bad as Danny Zuko in gym knickers
See this is why board games reign supreme when it comes to gaming. Over 9999fps, locked and synced.

Last edited:
Top Bottom