• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hervé Gengler (Playground Games): If a game was cross-platform prior to acquisition, Microsoft will not cancel any version"

nikolino840

This is like the second time the spokeperson talk about this

Time for the denial camp to admit the truth
Of course,there's lot of money and time behind...no one believes that spencer enter in the room and say "delete the Playstation version of this game that you are working for 3 years of your life working day and night and in the christmas"

Interfectum

If the PS5 Bethesda games coming this year sell exceptionally well it's going to be that much harder for Phil to convince his fellow execs to nix a PS5 port. They totally should for long term gain but to ignore PS5 and the millions a port of Elder Scrolls 6 would generate is going to be a tough pill to swallow for MS. I bet there is a lot of internal fighting about this issue.

Last edited:

sainraja

The best is MS needs Sony money to make Bethesda worth it, but Sony should buy Square and make everything exclusive.

And somehow they don’t see the double standard or hypocrisy while spouting that bullshit.
....while you are here doing the same exact thing but for Microsoft and not Sony. You all do the same thing that you accuse others of. There have been so many threads/statements on who/what Microsoft should buy next. If it is not clear to you by now...it's all just discussion. That is why you are here, are you not?

Last edited:
If the PS5 Bethesda games coming this year sell exceptionally well it's going to be that much harder for Phil to convince his fellow execs to nix a PS5 port. They totally should for long term gain but to ignore PS5 and the millions a port of Elder Scrolls 6 would generate is going to be a tough pill to swallow for MS. I bet there is a lot of internal fighting about this issue.
Disney had the balls to pull Star Wars from Netflix. MS should do the same with Zenimax.

Not a good look to support a competing platform that actively undermines yours with tons of timed exclusive shenanigans. I forsee a massive shitstorm if they release anything major on PS5.

Interfectum

Disney had the balls to pull Star Wars from Netflix. MS should do the same with Zenimax.

Not a good look to support a competing platform that actively undermines yours with tons of timed exclusive shenanigans. I forsee a massive shitstorm if they release anything major on PS5.
The entirety of Disney is behind making Disney+ a success. It's needed for their survival.

MS doesn't need Xbox and there are probably internal pressures on which direction to take a purchase like Bethesda. I agree though it would be a MASSIVE mistake to keep porting to PS5 as a long term strategy.

sn0man

This was always true. Ghostwire Tokyo and Deathloop were always going to still come to PS5. And no one seriously thought games that are already out like Elderscrolls online was going to get removed from PS4s that already have it. I'll wait to see what games like Starfield and ES 6 do. MS has always supported pc so PlayStation gamers can use the 3080 Pcs they own.
I’ll keep refreshing Best Buy and hoping.

Orta

Banned
Business as usual but post-buyout Sony & Nintendo won't get as much as the steam off Bethesda's piss.

Obviously.

Bo_Hazem

Banned
Fucking hell, why didn't someone tell me?

Here I am all stuck with my 2070 super. Bo_Hazem Bo_Hazem hit me up with one of those 3080's bro.

Haha! Got Radeon VII for $700, funnily bids are reaching as high as $1600-1700 on ebay for this card even this late! It's an undercover workstation card, the release of AMD Radeon VII Pro is a proof of that. :lollipop_tears_of_joy:

NullZ3r0

Banned
$7.5 billion dollars and the CEOs compensation says otherwise. If Sony purchased Bethesda/Zenimax there would be no discussion on whether or not there would be exclusivity.

NullZ3r0

Banned
PS5 has nothing to do with this. MS doesn't care about Sony. No MS meeting begins or ends with "What's Sony doing?" Until Sony builds infrastructure like Amazon and Google, MS could care less about a company with a market cap smaller than some divisions at Microsoft.

MS is a subscription company. They sell subscriptions to stuff. They aren't interested in selling people one off games or software. They want money from consumers on a continuous stream. It's called Annual Recurring Revenue. The CEOs pay is even based on how many subscriptions the company sells.

So you people need to end this fantasy now. Seriously. If you have any doubt on what MS next step is on anything in the future, just ask yourself one thing: "Will it sell GamePass subscriptions?" So let's try this one. Will releasing Bethesda games on Playstation 5 sell more GamePass subscriptions? There's your answer.

Now if you want to speculate that MS will release GamePass on Playstation 5, go for it. That wouldn't be unprecedented. They release Office apps on Mac, iOS and Android.

Microsoft is in it for the long haul. Even if minecraft is on Ps4, M$ gets a cut. They don't care about hardware sales as the be all end all anymore, they care less about where you play, just that you pay. I mean, it makes sense to me. I just wonder about some of these prices they're paying for studios. Not that they give a shit lol. This strategy can only work because they have the money to throw around, Sony and Nintendo can't afford it.

Last edited:

Interfectum

PS5 has nothing to do with this. MS doesn't care about Sony. No MS meeting begins or ends with "What's Sony doing?" Until Sony builds infrastructure like Amazon and Google, MS could care less about a company with a market cap smaller than some divisions at Microsoft.

MS is a subscription company. They sell subscriptions to stuff. They aren't interested in selling people one off games or software. They want money from consumers on a continuous stream. It's called Annual Recurring Revenue. The CEOs pay is even based on how many subscriptions the company sells.

So you people need to end this fantasy now. Seriously. If you have any doubt on what MS next step is on anything in the future, just ask yourself one thing: "Will it sell GamePass subscriptions?" So let's try this one. Will releasing Bethesda games on Playstation 5 sell more GamePass subscriptions? There's your answer.

Now if you want to speculate that MS will release GamePass on Playstation 5, go for it. That wouldn't be unprecedented. They release Office apps on Mac, iOS and Android.
I don't believe this is Microsoft's attitude otherwise they'd already be out of video games. Amazon, Google and Apple will totally ignore what Sony and Nintendo are doing and it's why all three will fail in video games. Stadia is already finished, Apple TV doing jack and Luna will bomb. MS knows better and even though they will say they don't see Sony as a direct competitor we all know that's bullshit. They will never extend their gaming aspirations beyond Sony until they understand why they are doing so well in this space.

So yeah I disagree and I'm betting there are a ton of Xbox meetings that very much start with "What's Sony doing?" otherwise they are wasting their time and investor's money being there.

NullZ3r0

Banned
I don't believe this is Microsoft's attitude otherwise they'd already be out of video games. Amazon, Google and Apple will totally ignore what Sony and Nintendo are doing and it's why all three will fail in video games. Stadia is already finished, Apple TV doing jack and Luna will bomb. MS knows better and even though they will say they don't see Sony as a direct competitor we all know that's bullshit. They will never extend their gaming aspirations beyond Sony until they understand why they are doing so well in this space.

So yeah I disagree and I'm betting there are a ton of Xbox meetings that very much start with "What's Sony doing?" otherwise they are wasting their time and investor's money being there.
There's a reason Luna and Stadia will fail: MS has the content advantage. They exist in the space and so it's harder for Amazon and Google to gain a foothold.

Sony will become a direct competitor once they have a GamePass alternative and global datacenter infrastructure. Sony has a different business model than MS. Sony sells PS consoles and games. MS wants to sell subscriptions first and foremost. Hardware is just a secondary revenue stream for MS. They'll always provide a hardware platform that provides the best experience for their products. That's why Surface and Xbox exists.

Shmunter

Disney has 90 million subscribers, analysts calculate they need 250 million to be profitable.

Disney sells Star Wars on disc and tv stations worldwide.

Can Microsoft afford to put all their eggs in one basket with 18m?

Last edited:

devilNprada

They'll always provide a hardware platform that provides the best experience for their products. That's why Surface and Xbox exists.
Lol, what experience is best on a Surface?
Fucking outlook works better on Android than it does on Windows...

Last edited:

Shmunter

+ PC + XBOX consoles + Streaming

so yes, easily.
True, streaming is the make or break for mass reach. If you needed to pay $300 for a Netflix box, it wouldn’t be where it is today.

Question remains; will today’s console and pc users ditch their beloved hardware for it. Will ultra casuals ditch angry birds for the hardcore options streamed to their device? 🤔

Starfield

Who?

anyway I suppose it could be true. games like Starfield/Elder Scrolls 6 could be multiplatform but any games after that would be Xbox/pc only.

or maybe MS says nope PlayStation ain’t getting anything. You wanna play starfield/elder scrolls then you’ll buy an Xbox or build a pc.

If Phil says anything then that’s what you should listen to.
Starfield maybe. TES 6 is so far away that we will have to see.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I feel we knew this already; announced platforms will be respected and inked deals remain unchanged. We've seen this already with two PS timed exclusives remaining timed exclusives even though Microsoft now own the studio.

The question is... games like Starfield and TES6 never announced their platforms: are they exclusives? The answer, I feel, is of course they are - Microsoft paid for them to be exclusives.
I think it's more nuanced than that.

1. Deathloop / Ghostwire Tokyo aren't good examples. Sony bought their exclusivity by paying money / doing a contract. If MS stopped that exclusivity, they'd be breaching a contract and paying Sony the damages + returning the contract money + the PR shit they'll have to face. It wasn't a viable option to do so. MS made the right call.
2. TE6, I agree. That's a long shot because the game is likely years away.
3. Starfield? I think it'll be multiplatform. MS didn't pay for that exclusivity (not until related information pops up about a new MS contract). Besides, MS didn't pay the development cost of that game, and a PS version was being developed from the beginning. So there are two options for MS:

1) Scrap the PS version, and recompensate the developers (this will be in addition to the $7.5B acquisition), or
2) Let the game release on both platforms as was intended before the acquisition (which is what MS will do, if we are to believe this quote).

Top Bottom