• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

HEY! C'MON C'MON: It's the Giga Powered Neo Geo Appreciation Thread

Lhadatt

Wouldn't know, I haven't used it.

though for entry and mid-range arcade sticks, I'd sooner look at HORI's stuff tbh
^^^^ this. So much this.

The HRAP line works well on PC. I have the PS4/3 HRAP 4 Kai. It works on PC just fine.

The Neo Geo X Gold stick is OK. You probably won't be disappointed as it will still work fine on PC, but there are many superior sticks out there. My primary issue with the NGX stick is the lack of weight in the base. It's very light. Functionally, it's fine.

Staying away from anything branded as Neo Geo X is probably a good policy.

parkinho

Well, despite all the hate I'm glad I bought my Neo Geo X. Looks good under the TV and fills a childhood dream of owning a home based SNK machine that another emulation machine could not, and with the cost of an AES/consolized MVS making that option prohibitive it was worth the cost. Any trade off in performance is made up in my mind by this nostalgic fulfilment.

I'm not expecting anybody else to agree but this will not change my thoughts, especially when I've been enjoying Art of Fighting 3 and Metal Slug 2 on it over the weekend.

Glowsquid thanks for sharing those videos/Nazca writeups, although the quest to find the MS prototype continues, let alone who exactly made MS, I genuinely believe its out there.

The fiction behind a clandestine team developing arguably the greatest shump of its kind is legendary and rich tbh. Been toying writing a story about it.

*cue xfiles music mixed with neogeo boot sound* (I'd listen to it)

Glowsquid

let alone who exactly made MS, I genuinely believe its out there.

some of the real names of the Nazca/Irem developers have been found. The french video doesn't give their real names but it talk very precisely about who did exactly what and where they are now, and give enough info that you could feasibly track the names down with enough time and dedication ("Akio" left SNK in 2010. "Okui" worked on Final Fantasy VII and still works in the industry as a producer, etc.)

some of the real names of the Nazca/Irem developers have been found. The french video doesn't give their real names but it talk very precisely about who did exactly what and where they are now, and give enough info that you could feasibly track the names down with enough time and dedication ("Akio" left SNK in 2010. "Okui" worked on Final Fantasy VII and still works in the industry as a producer, etc.)

I watched the vid earlier actually and was surprised to see the illustrations for each dev (did those come from behind the scenes In the Hunt documents or MS?)

And I meant it less literally when I mentioned the lack of documentation on staff and more the fact these developers are essentially unknown to their fans/ how many remain a secret. I've always been fascinated by how Kazuma Kujo refuses to reveal others identities. That's the compelling angle I'd want to explore in a (granted exaggerated) narrative. More than likely he's respecting their wishes/its just polite for him not to say what others may or may not want in the spotlight.

Japan especially in game development tend not to spotlight individuals deliberately (whether back then to avoid head hunting) as well as culturally a resistance (at least superficially) to glorify yourself.

Glowsquid

Oh yeah, I said I'd post the metal Slug concept art (or "kikamusho"{sp?})

The original concept art. This is the drawing that started it all.

FwGMyfD.png

----

Tractor boss: A tractor that would move toward you while you ran backward. The sequence had tunnels that would temporily protect you from the boss' attacks

Unused level concept: A scrapped level concept had the two players fighting on different fronts. The end of the level would have a section where you'd have to cross a group of boats, which would capsize depending on the slug's locations

Level boss: Turrets on a gigantic boat. They would sometimes fire shells that would make the boat capsize

original special attack concept: Instead of blowing up the Slug, the idea for the A+B attack was that it would summon an horde of allied soldiers to destroy every enemy on-screen

Scrapped level: This was going to be a level in the prototype but it was scrapped ebcause of the Kobe earthquake. The concept was that the tank was airdropped from a blimp and there would be missiles raining all around you, and enemies floating below. Sometimes, you would need to get in alcoves to avoid missiles. In 2P mode, the two players would need to occupy different alcoves

Another scrapped boss: A walker that would grab the Metal SLug with a claw on its underside. When caught, you would have to free yourself by shooting all around it. When the first phase of the boss was defeated, the top section of the boss would detach and take control of the Metal Slug. You would need to shoot it off before it drives you off a cliff.

And now I'm sad that boss was scrapped. The idea sounded brilliant.

Oh yeah, I said I'd post the metal Slug concept art (or "kikamusho"{sp?})

The original concept art. This is the drawing that started it all.

I'm amazed, even by that first screenshot how accurately the artists original concept art ended up being represented in game. Pity we didn't get some of those bosses. Imagine a tractor slug.

Also I may or may not have made a redundant purchasing decision depending on your perspectives:

I know it gets a lot of flak (widely exaggerated tbh) but I've loved my Neo Geo CD ever since I got it about three years ago (and messaged this very board about it actually). Nothing like playing on actual hardware, which is why I double dipped over my anthology version.

Glowsquid

I'm *this* close to getting a NGCD since I'm mostly interested in the unpopular early games. i've already started a collection for it

>tfw cyber-lip and robo army cd are almost as expensive as their aes/mvs versions tho

I think the Neo Geo CD is awesome. Before I went crazy and bought a consolized MVS, I was dead set on a NGCD, and I think the controllers for it are pretty damn good, too. The only gripe was the fact that it required a modification for csync. Still a baller system though.

I'm *this* close to getting a NGCD since I'm mostly interested in the unpopular early games. i've already started a collection for it

>tfw cyber-lip and robo army cd are almost as expensive as their aes/mvs versions tho

Oh man I want both of those too! Even three years ago when I first started out those games were pricey but not nearly at the tag they go at now.

I would honestly get a CDZ if I were you, you've waited this long, go for gold! The loadtimes are genuinely a good 10-20 seconds faster and it has a slick design (though I've gotten pretty attached to the top loading design alot too).

I think the Neo Geo CD is awesome. Before I went crazy and bought a consolized MVS, I was dead set on a NGCD, and I think the controllers for it are pretty damn good, too. The only gripe was the fact that it required a modification for csync. Still a baller system though.

I almost bought a CMVS and at one point, even prepared to buy a cab but then I looked at how costly even decent MVS games have gotten to and realized I'm fine missing out on a few, NGCD has the cream of the crop in most areas for the late nineties NG output (for me only missing garou and MS3, maybe waku waku 7 but I own those on other consoles). I use RGB cables with Csync built into them and it looks amazing via the frameister I was also stupid enough to shill out for.

Would people on here be interested in seeing some NGCD games or screenshots via XRGB?

I would be more than willing to take some!

Gyrian

Wow, thanks for sharing these! They are completely brand new to me, and look simply beautiful. I've suspected art like this might exist in an SNK-related artbook somewhere, but not one that I've identified so far.

Glowsquid

I got my first NGCD game in the mail :) D : D : D) and I felt like scanning some artwork from it. I love how sickly illustrated SNK's NG manuals are.

zt4gHYp.jpg

Only had time to take a few shots but I'll do more periodically! Here's KOF 94 and MS I was playing/capturing for some projects. HD 1080p via RGB SCART (I can turn scanlines on for some other shots nextime too).

LB2%20Hype%20Scale%20Screenshot%202016-06-28%2001-34-53_zpsoodypz9y.png

LB2%20Hype%20Scale%20Screenshot%202016-06-28%2001-39-21_zpsytw8vczw.png

vlcsnap-2016-06-29-01h44m41s984_zpsvfp9cjey.png

vlcsnap-2016-06-29-01h46m47s301_zps5h7p3fbe.png

vlcsnap-2016-06-29-01h45m56s021_zpso8j5pr8q.png

Let me know how ASO II is btw Glowsquid. With Last Resort and Sonic Wings, I'm tempted to expand my shooters library there too.

Also does anyone else have pet names for the juggling load monkey? I call him Bepo. IDK why. Seemed right. Is there an official name out there?

Glowsquid

Let me know how ASO II is btw Glowsquid. With Last Resort and Sonic Wings, I'm tempted to expand my shooters library there too.

It's awesome! ASOII looks like a Xevious-style shooter, but it has an unique mechanic to it: armors. You can equip and store up to 5 armors, which protect you from hits (duh), but also have their own attacks and (for some of them) special attacks. Armors can be assembled piece-by-piece in the levels or bought from a shop between levels. There's a lot of planning - figuring out which armor spawn in which section of each levels, which one you should buy i nthe shop, and which armor is best against each bosses. The system also allows a lot of viable ways to approach any given situation.

The game often gets ignored or dismissed as a "generic shooter", I suspect because the power-up and armor system is more complex than the average shmup and isn't well explained in attact mode so it doesn't make a good first impression, and it doesn't look as flashy as the more popular NG shmups (though for 1991, it looked more than acceptable). MVS mode also has a way-too-strict timer on the shop screen, which hurts the planning aspect. But once it clicks, there's a very fun and unique shmup waiting.

It was also released as part of the NeoGeo Station series for Ps3/PSP, and it's a fantastic port.

Superplay that shows how the game should be played

Hey, ASO II used to be a relatively cheap AES cartridge. I should maybe pick up a copy. Let's see how much it goes for today...

CrpGkiF.gif

neogeocollecting.gif

I had heard the same "this is a generic shooter" claims when first looking into ASO II awhile back but based on your description and a bit of the vid it looks like a pretty charming, if not deceptively deeper game than expected. Will look into it! (Though neogeocollecting.gif is in full effect for this one too)

That MOTW though! Congrats man! Something I always feared if i ever got into mvs collecting/ got a CMVS was the idea of accidentally buying a bootleg cart for thousands or something, How would you ensure that its authentic? Open it and show the boards?

Bar81

Hey, ASO II used to be a relatively cheap AES cartridge. I should maybe pick up a copy. Let's see how much it goes for today...

CrpGkiF.gif

That's solid but misplaced in this case. ASO II's price hasn't really changed in the last three years; certainly it hasn't gone up in the multiples of price like the Slugs, etc.

Ban Puncher

That's solid but misplaced in this case. ASO II's price hasn't really changed in the last three years; certainly it hasn't gone up in the multiples of price like the Slugs, etc.

I'm going off back when I used to see it go for $100 tops and dismissed it as something cheap and nasty to pick up at my leisure.

There is no leisure when it comes to Neo Geo, motherfuckers.

Celine

Took a look, why exclude NGCD games? Because comparing cd osts to carts might be unfair? (though tbh technologically speaking it doesn't mean much, ng blows them out of the water still)
Because NGCD was included in the previous voting (for the N64/PS1 gen).
It's debatable but it's what it is.

Gyrian

Something I always feared if i ever got into mvs collecting/ got a CMVS was the idea of accidentally buying a bootleg cart for thousands or something, How would you ensure that its authentic? Open it and show the boards?

That's exactly what you do, and it's pretty straightforward with MVS carts. Here is a fantastic reference to check your boards against. Most bootlegs are exceedingly easy to ID. SNK boards + mask ROMs + machine soldering should get 95% confirmed for the vast majority of the games out there.

Glowsquid

if anything, hyper neogeo 64 should have been in that running, not NGCD

If anything, the hn64 shouldn't be included on any console voting because it's an arcade board that was never sold directly sold to consumers. unless you want to include things like the CPS2, Taito F3 and Naomi in future votes.

... why not do a "best arcade boards of all time" thread. That could be cool.

I had heard the same "this is a generic shooter" claims when first looking into ASO II awhile back but based on your description and a bit of the vid it looks like a pretty charming, if not deceptively deeper game than expected. Will look into it! (Though neogeocollecting.gif is in full effect for this one too)

That MOTW though! Congrats man! Something I always feared if i ever got into mvs collecting/ got a CMVS was the idea of accidentally buying a bootleg cart for thousands or something, How would you ensure that its authentic? Open it and show the boards?

Thanks man, feels damn good! I actually got a couple of MVS carts and just waiting on my Omega CMVS now. The wait is unbearable lol.

But yeah, as some others have mentioned you just have to check the boards, there's a few websites online that have scans of the boards you can use to compare. It seems like a lot of sellers tend to take photos of the boards too, so you can usually buy with confidence. Still a good idea to open it up when you get em though, just to make sure.

galvatron

Yup, then you go here and compare:
http://www.mvs-scans.com/index.php/Main_Page

Because NGCD was included in the previous voting (for the N64/PS1 gen).
It's debatable but it's what it is.

Weird, yeah I would def not include NGCD in fifth gen but no bigge, for fun anyways.

LOL I looked at some MVS/NGCD fakes, they're terrible haha at least for CD, some of the carts are scarily accurate.

Thanks man, feels damn good! I actually got a couple of MVS carts and just waiting on my Omega CMVS now. The wait is unbearable lol.

Oh man if I ever got a CMVS Omega would be my first choice. Super sexy.

I moved to Japan earlier this year and as part of culling what i needed to take, decided to sell my PAL AES. Sold it for a profit and felt good at the time... Was never super pleased with it, cause it had a huge crack on the front and a burn mark on the back of the case. Kept the few games i had with the intent to buy another here in Japan... but dang now i'm struggling to find one going for a good price that's in good condition (not wanting to spend that money with something i'm not happy with again).

Even the CD consoles are pretty expensive here, and so much of the attraction for me is having that instant boot, i don't think i can live with the load times.

The other day though, i picked up cheap cart-only copies of SNES Fatal Fury 2 and Samurai Shodown... having not played them since hiring them as a child. Boy do they compare unfavorably! The music in FF is just barely recognizable and the speech.. my god. I don't think i can hear anything but "barbeque" when Terry does his burn knuckle. And SS, well everyone knows about the size of the sprites lol. Still, they play surprisingly well all things considered. I think SNES could have done a lot better though - anyone know if the port of FF Special is much better than 2?

Until i can find a decent AES then, i'm resorting to Retroarch ... and will probably pick up a few more of the Saturn ports in the future (only have RB Special and SS3). I wish they released more of the older Neo games on Saturn! :(

Jaeger

Does anyone here have any experience with the Omega CMVS? I have a few questions about it. Also, can someone speak to the quality of Netropolis' consolized MVS system?

Thanks.

Jaeger

Stay away. The seller is a shady guy and his prices are outright thievery.

Oh wow. And the system looks really well put together. Are their specific instances where these habits were displayed?

I have an Arcade Works Omega cMVS, ask away.

How's the build quality? Are you satisfied with the product? How was the service between purchasing the system and receiving it? Any compatibility issues this far?

Thx!

How's the build quality? Are you satisfied with the product? How was the service between purchasing the system and receiving it? Any compatibility issues this far?

I am very satisfied with it! I definitely recommend a multicart of some kind (though this touches upon a compatibility issue), as playing Neo Geo game roulette after work/gym is a perfect way to unwind. Build quality is great and it really feels like an authentic console. As I mentioned early, the only compatibility issue is that the built in memory card causes an issue where you can't return to the game select menu, so you need to reboot the system to choose another game. This is inconsequential to me since the system is right next to the couch I play from. Other than that, across the 5 carts I own, there are no issues. The system accepts any Neo Geo controller, as well. I'm waiting on a Hori Fighting Stick Neo at the moment, and also have two Neo Geo CD controllers that are great and I'd totally recommend.

It took about 3 or 4 weeks from date of purchase for it to arrive. They were very quick to respond to all my questions regarding the status of the system, too.

My only real complaint is that I wish the system supported AV cables from other systems. I'd like to replace the SCART cable I bought from Arcade Works with one from retro_console_accessories, but they use different plugs.

I am very satisfied with it! I definitely recommend a multicart of some kind (though this touches upon a compatibility issue), as playing Neo Geo game roulette after work/gym is a perfect way to unwind. Build quality is great and it really feels like an authentic console. As I mentioned early, the only compatibility issue is that the built in memory card causes an issue where you can't return to the game select menu, so you need to reboot the system to choose another game. This is inconsequential to me since the system is right next to the couch I play from. Other than that, across the 5 carts I own, there are no issues. The system accepts any Neo Geo controller, as well. I'm waiting on a Hori Fighting Stick Neo at the moment, and also have two Neo Geo CD controllers that are great and I'd totally recommend.

It took about 3 or 4 weeks from date of purchase for it to arrive. They were very quick to respond to all my questions regarding the status of the system, too.

My only real complaint is that I wish the system supported AV cables from other systems. I'd like to replace the SCART cable I bought from Arcade Works with one from retro_console_accessories, but they use different plugs.

RB2 and Waku Waku 7, halt my wallet wailing heart!

Peltz

I'm amazed, even by that first screenshot how accurately the artists original concept art ended up being represented in game. Pity we didn't get some of those bosses. Imagine a tractor slug.

Also I may or may not have made a redundant purchasing decision depending on your perspectives:

I know it gets a lot of flak (widely exaggerated tbh) but I've loved my Neo Geo CD ever since I got it about three years ago (and messaged this very board about it actually). Nothing like playing on actual hardware, which is why I double dipped over my anthology version.

Gorgeous cover art....

Jaeger

Based on some more research, it's now coming to either snagging an Omega CMVS or one from Jamma-Nation X. Learning towards the latter due to pricing.

There still some things I don't quite understand but I am trying to learn. Very exciting. I intially wanted an AES but those prices for the carts make it a big giant no for me. No matter how good of a fincial position I get in, I just refuse to spend that kind of money on games. More power to those that do (I'm jelly or your financial freedom tho lol).

Even some of the MVS carts can get expensive.

Peltz

Based on some more research, it's now coming to either snagging an Omega CMVS or one from Jamma-Nation X. Learning towards the latter due to pricing.

There still some things I don't quite understand but I am trying to learn. Very exciting. I intially wanted an AES but those prices for the carts make it a big giant no for me. No matter how good of a fincial position I get in, I just refuse to spend that kind of money on games. More power to those that do (I'm jelly or your financial freedom tho lol).

Even some of the MVS carts can get expensive.
I have a CMVS from JAMMA Nation X. Build quality is decent, and James is a pleasure to deal with. I definitely recommend.

You can't really go wrong either way I'm sure. Just FYI, James also uses a custom pin out for SCART cables so the one made by Retro console accessories will have a few sound channels missing (I found this out the hard way). But the cable he supplies gives a 100% clean picture so no loss there.

He could also do other types of output in case SCART isn't your thing or you want more options. I think he does good work and it's clear from my experience that he actually cares about giving fantastic customer service.

ToD_

Is there something wrong with the SCART cable you bought from them?

I currently have an AES and an Analogue CMVS (that wooden one) I bought years ago. Sadly, the Analogue does not have clean RGB video output. There are faint lines of some sort scrolling through the image, and the picture is dimmer than it should be. I initially returned it and the person who runs Analogue (name escapes me) said it was a bad PSU. He sent the system back to me along with a new PSU and the issues were much less severe, but still present. I reached out again, and the guy tells me this is normal because MVS boards are old and some may have slight issues like this. He also claims he didn't see the issues when he tested it. He said there is nothing they can do short of replacing it with a new MVS board, which would be something I have to provide.

This was years ago and I haven't used the system for more than an hour because of these issues. I have just been using my AES with a converter for MVS carts. The AES has perfect image quality but using the converter is annoying and I would like a machine with a Unibios installed. The Analogue was supposed to remedy those issues but it turned out to be a bad purchase.

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to spend the money on a new system and hope it's problem free. Or maybe look into finding a way to repair the Analogue CMVS myself. This whole Analogue deal soured me on the Neo-Geo hobby and I want to get back into it.

Peltz

Is there something wrong with the SCART cable you bought from them?

I currently have an AES and an Analogue CMVS (that wooden one) I bought years ago. Sadly, the Analogue does not have clean RGB video output. There are faint lines of some sort scrolling through the image, and the picture is dimmer than it should be. I initially returned it and the person who runs Analogue (name escapes me) said it was a bad PSU. He sent the system back to me along with a new PSU and the issues were much less severe, but still present. I reached out again, and the guy tells me this is normal because MVS boards are old and some may have slight issues like this. He also claims he didn't see the issues when he tested it. He said there is nothing they can do short of replacing it with a new MVS board, which would be something I have to provide.

This was years ago and I haven't used the system for more than an hour because of these issues. I have just been using my AES with a converter for MVS carts. The AES has perfect image quality but using the converter is annoying and I would like a machine with a Unibios installed. The Analogue was supposed to remedy those issues but it turned out to be a bad purchase.

I'm trying to figure out whether I want to spend the money on a new system and hope it's problem free. Or maybe look into finding a way to repair the Analogue CMVS myself. This whole Analogue deal soured me on the Neo-Geo hobby and I want to get back into it.

Your experience with JAMMA Nation X will be better for sure. The image quality is truly pristine. I'm sure an omega would also be a great option.

Don't let the shady analogue dude sour you on a fantastic hobby.

Top Bottom