• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey FGC: Ryu in Smash includes classic Street Fighter controls (i.e. QCF, etc)

Neiteio

This is being discussed in the Roy/Ryu thread, and someone mentioned the general FGC might find it of note. Of course, I don't expect someone who doesn't like Smash to suddenly like it because of this. However, this is an interesting development for a series that has historically stuck to its streamlined control scheme of attacking with A or B plus a direction. I'm interested to hear what others think of this!

To be clear: You can still perform Ryu's moves with Smash-style inputs. For example, tapping B can unleash a hadoken (the SF wiki spells it without a "u," so that's how I'll spell it for now). Tapping Up + B can perform a shoryuken. And so on. But if you perform the original inputs for Ryu's moves, you'll get a boost in performance. For example, a QCF hadoken is 25% stronger. Also: Ryu in Smash differentiates between tapping a button and holding a button, for weak and strong variants of attacks, with three levels of power.

From the in-game tips (which appear on loading screens, or in the tips area):

Hadoken
A projectile from a world-class fighting game. Hold down the button to vary how fast it travels. It’ll disappear after a set distance.

Hadoken
Input the commands from the original series to increase the Hadoken’s power. Use it in midair to make Ryu glide slightly.

Hadoken
Quickly input down, down-forward, forward for 1.25x power. You might have to practice a bit to really figure out howtodo a Hadoken.

Hadoken
Input back, down-back, down, down-forward, forward to unleash a fiery Shakunetsu Hadoken that can deal multiple hits.

Shoryuken
When you enter the original commands, Ryu is momentarily invincible, the move is stronger and looks different…and his shout even changes!

Shoryuken
Input the commands from the original series to become invincible until the move is complete. The move needs no recovery time after landing.

Shoryuken
Input forward, down, down-forward for 1.2x attack power. Think you can pull it off? SURE YOU CAN!

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Ryu will float up slightly when using this move after a jump, making this spinning side kick great for recovering.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Input the commands from the original series to power up the attack. One thing to remember: you can’t use it repeatedly in midair.

Tatsumaki Senpukyaku
Enter down, down-back, back for 1.16x power. Increasing the strength also increases the move’s speed and travel distance.

Focus Attack
Ryu will hold his stance until you release the button or a certain amount of time has passed. Then he’ll unleash the punch.

Focus Attack
By turning the opposite way the moment Ryu punches, he will strike in that direction instead.

Focus Attack
Hitting an opponent with the fully charged version of this move will make them slowly crumple. Time for a follow-up attack!

Focus Attack
You can cancel this move by pressing left or right twice quickly, either while charging or right after the punch connects.

Focus Attack
Ryu can take one hit while readying for this move. This is true until right before he attacks, even when charging the move to maximum power.

Side Smash Attack
Ryu steps forward and unleashes his Joudan Sokutogeri. The tip of his foot is the strongest part, but it won’t hit a small crouching enemy.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)
You might have seen this kick in the original games. Just like in those, you can cancel the move after striking by going straight into a special.

Strong Down Attack (Strong)
Hold down the attack button while crouching to use this move. You can cancel it into a special even if the foe is shielding, but only if you hit.

Strong Down Attack (Weak)
Use this attack by crouching and tapping the attack button. If you hit a downed opponent with it, you’ll knock them back to their feet.

Strong Side Attack (Strong)
Keep up the pressure on a guarding enemy with Ryu’s Collarbone Breaker, a double hit that’s good for shield breaking.

Up Air Attack
This uppercut hits the enemy twice and has a deceptively large range. It’s fairly easy to hit enemies directly over you.

Front Air Attack
Hitting an enemy with Ryu’s foot has higher launch power, while his upper leg is perfect for shield breaking. It’s a good move for combos.

Down Air Attack
This is the only attack in Ryu’s arsenal that has a meteor effect. If it hits, your victim will fly diagonally downward.

Upward Throw
This move kicks a grabbed opponent straight upward. As Ryu brings his leg back down, he’ll hit anyone else unlucky enough to be in the way.

SOME THOUGHTS:

Personally, I've never been adept at these types of inputs, especially on a gamepad, but I'm really excited by the way Ryu in Smash caters to both the Smash style and the Street Fighter style. Sakurai continues to do an excellent job capturing the spirit of a character and his/her franchise with each character. :)

1434191012344.png

CHYnVMJW8AAXRNG.png

CHYnVvHWIAER9DA.png

Not

Banned
What if Ryu is bottom tier unless you learn to play him like in Street Fighter? Would be funny

Was already excited, but all of this has put his inclusion on a whole other level of awesome. They absolutely fucking nailed Ryu in a Smash context.

Azuardo

This is pretty cool, but then I realised you can't use the d-pad to play the game, which would throw me off a bit for these inputs.

DrArchon

I'll repeat what I said in the leak thread and say that I'm not a fan. This means that there is zero reason to ever do Ryu's specials the "normal" way. Just adds complexity for flavor's sake.

Toxi

Banned
I'll repeat what I said in the leak thread and say that I'm not a fan. This means that there is zero reason to ever do Ryu's specials the "normal" way. Just adds complexity for flavor's sake.
With how Smash's movement system works, there is plenty of reason to use the simple versions of the commands.

Not really. In some situations it's bound to be benificial to use the smash inputs. A Srk input would result in fast fall for example, not ideal for a recovery move. There's also DI to consider, and stuff like how using Smash inputs you can do a hurricane kick in either direction regardless of which way you're facing.

Inputting the motions technically means they'll be slower on start up

Also Smash's movement is really sensitive. Doing the motions might mess up your spacing but idk gotta wait to know for sure.

IntelliHeath

As in "Heathcliff"
I'm thrilled with Ryu getting his own game mechanism. I'm all for that!

Once I get him from EShop then I'm going to the training room and figure out the combo for myself. :D

Neiteio

Sure there's reason. The "Smash" way is when you don't have time or space to input it any other way. You trade off power for input speed. But players who become skilled at Ryu will have the dexterity to do it the superior SF way. I like the level of technicality this adds to the character. Plus, a Street Fighter fan who loves Ryu can pick up Smash and find he functions similar to how they'd expect.

shaowebb

Kind of curious...if you are fighting multiple folks and one dodges through you does it act like in MK and reverse your inputs being seen so that you get the wrong move to pop out? Used to dash over folks a lot as Bane in the corner to reverse their inputs read on wakeup.

My guess is that he will perform the move so long as he is facing the direction it was input towards. Faces right , does QCF and it doesn't matter if someone rolls behind him even if there are multiple folks...likely just whifs the move rather than autocorrecting the way he faces and getting the wrong input. Here's hoping at least. In doubles it'd get really rough if Ryu could have his inputs messed over by folks crossing over like mad in the air.

PBalfredo

I'm really curious how the game is going to differentiate between a QCF and a QCB in a game where your character faces whichever direction you input. Is Ryu going to have a delayed turn or some kind of soft-lock?

DrArchon

Not really. In some situations it's bound to be benificial to use the smash inputs. A Srk input would result in fast fall for example, not ideal for a recovery move. There's also DI to consider, and stuff like how using Smash inputs you can do a hurricane kick in either direction regardless of which way you're facing.
I guess that makes sense. Wish the tips conveyed some of those downsides as well. Really makes it seem like there's a right way and a wrong way to do the moves, as opposed to method A vs method B.

TheMink

How does it decide what direction you are facing? Do you first have to face your character purposefully in the direction you want the inputs you want to act to?

Does doing a sempukyku turn you around briefly before doing the actual attack?

It adds complexity for diversity's sake, how is it flavor when it's actually more beneficial to use the inputs in most instances? This is one of the ways you can move away from homogenised characters.

How does it decide what direction you are facing? Do you first have to face your character purposefully in the direction you want the inputs you want to act to?

I'm thinking it's the direction you're facing when you use the attack. The game differentiates between forward and backwards throws and aerial attacks.

shaowebb

TvC stick works as well.

As someone who owned both the TvC and the Hori know that the TvC was pretty jank at the time. It was before the good stuff started getting put in the Mad Catz controllers. The Hori stick is better, but I still had some issues with neither holding up to the later 360 ones. Mad catz is easiest to find online and the easiest to swap buttons and sticks on since its plug and play and the Hori is soddered.

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
Does this mean 3DS owners get him too? I wonder if you can FADC into Ultra with the Smash ball being your meter or just shoryuken them in mid air and go into it.

Introducing people to his moves is like teaching a person how to talk.

I guess that makes sense. Wish the tips conveyed some of those downsides as well. Really makes it seem like there's a right way and a wrong way to do the moves, as opposed to method A vs method B.
Yeah, that's sort of the way it's expressed. But I think when you actually play Ryu you'll have to make decisions like "Do I want extra power here? Or do I want extra movement utility?"

It's exciting! He'll be a technical character fo sho, but not in like an arbitrary way I don't think.

Does this mean 3DS owners get him too? I wonder if you can FADC into Ultra with the Smash ball being your meter or just shoryuken them in mid air and go into it.

Introducing people to his moves is like teaching a person how to talk.
According to those tips you can use a special (FA) after some of those moves, and you can dash after the FA lol. So maybe!

Neiteio

Since Smash is a game where Ryu can, y'know, turn his back to his opponent, I wonder how they'll handle moves like tatsumaki (QCB). How will the game know you're winding up for tatsumaki and not simply turning around?

Top Bottom