• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

Fiddled with some games in VX a few years back but with my newly bought bundle I think I might participate in this!
Just gotta find the time and motivation.

Stampy

Can someone post easy to understand pros and cons for VX and XP.

I could be possibly in. Will have to see this first week if I can grasp the program nad to see if I can realisticall put anything out there in two months...

SoldnerKei

To set a resource, there are two ways. First is manual. Make the game project folder (which should be in your Documents folder), and then go to your C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\RPGVXAce\dlc folder, and place the DLC manually (copying preferred) into the directories of your project.

However, RPG Maker updated recently, apparently there's a feature to import DLC automatically now within the game, but I haven't quite figured it out yet.

good, thanks, I'll go for the manual route

just want to get rid of that "front-view" battle system, never really liked it

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
Replying to a few things, but want to mention this first.

Sounds exciting!

I will try and come up with some idea, but even if I don't, I will be paying attention to what comes of it.

Hopefully it doesn't get lost during e3pocalypse.

Thats a very good point. Might be a good idea to extend the deadline to the first week of august.

This is a fair point, and as such I will increase the time by a week for E3 stuff as I assume many would miss a week on working on their project for E3 hype and events . And not bad to have more time, but a deadline is important as well.

And thusly, pushed everything back by a week, the final deadline for submissions will be August 7th at 11:59 PM, voting for games starts on August 8th at the stroke of midnight PST. Voting ends on September 11th at 11:59 PM (I swear it just coincidentally landed on that date when you added a week).

Thores

This is an amazing idea! Subscribed for sure, and I might participate if time and inspiration allows. I haven't messed with the engine since Rm2k3, so the opportunity to make a new game (and also to actually justify the fact that I bought the bundle at the highest level) is really exciting.

Dusk Golem

It's actually 900+ games across several generations/consoles. I'm dead already. However, I think it'll be fun to stream my attempts on twitch though I'm not sure any will watch haha. Thanks for setting up the competition.

Loaded~ No, I'm in a similar position but I'm a collector so I know it's hopeless. I do actually play a lot, though, just not fast enough for them all. XD;

I bought the $6 bundle yesterday. I doubt I'll have time to make anything but I had to sub just for all that awesome info in the OP! Great job Dusk Golem!

Thank you, I actually did make this topic to also double as some resources for people who just bought the bundle even if they weren't interested in a competition, so happy to see it may just be that for at least one person.

This sounds interesting. I may have to take part :p

The more the merrier, I am legitimately interested to see what people will be working on. I expect vastly different results.

I'm in and I'm going to win.

I wish you luck, not bad to be confident.

Fiddled with some games in VX a few years back but with my newly bought bundle I think I might participate in this!
Just gotta find the time and motivation.

Got a couple months, though of course starting earlier is never a bad thing.

Can someone post easy to understand pros and cons for VX and XP.

I could be possibly in. Will have to see this first week if I can grasp the program nad to see if I can realisticall put anything out there in two months...

I hope one of these links helps:
http://steamcommunity.com/app/235900/discussions/0/630799997244776821/
http://forums.rpgmakerweb.com/index.php?/topic/18209-rpg-maker-xp-or-vx-ace/
http://www.rpgmakervx.net/?showtopic=816

good, thanks, I'll go for the manual route

just want to get rid of that "front-view" battle system, never really liked it

Go to the script list in the VX Ace Resources section. Some very different battle systems. Can do everything from side-style like the old FF, SRPG, a top-down shooting game, platforming, and more if you meddle around a lot. But simple may be best.

Hopefully count me in.

I had an idea for a new book story but I'll convert it into a small RPG instead

Might do good on the story front if it was a story idea initially.

I'm down to make some atmospheric and instrumental game music for anyone.

Message me and let me know if you're interested!

Very kind of you! Keep in mind that RPG Maker without some meddling with the code won't take .mp3, but by default takes .wav and .ogg (VX Ace, XP uses .midi).

And looping is important for RPG Maker games.

This is an amazing idea! Subscribed for sure, and I might participate if time and inspiration allows. I haven't messed with the engine since Rm2k3, so the opportunity to make a new game (and also to actually justify the fact that I bought the bundle at the highest level) is really exciting.

I'm excited as well to see what people come up with, and myself.

Kuro

Awesome thread! I've been thinking about some cool rpg scenarios lately. Time to put those ideas to use.

Would love to join in but I know I won't be able to put in the time. Still, you may have inspired me to spend a buck on RPGM just for fun.

kogasu

Oh, very awesome idea! This is great I wish I actually had the mental capacity/patience to use RPG Maker to its fullest but alas I can not. plus I'd have no idea what kind of story I'd like to do anyway.

However, I'd love to help out anyone if I can. I make music... Mostly melodic-y or symphonic-y rock/metal stuff and some ambient stuff. Not sure if my quality would be up to snuff with some other musicians in here but I can be a last resort if you need one heh.

kubus

Robert at Zeboyd Games has confirmed that everyone who submits a game for the contest, regardless of placement, will receive a Steam copy of Cthulhu Saves the World+Breath of Death VII.

Very generous of him.
That is really cool and generous of him!

Aghh I might try my hand at this after all :p. It sounds fun.

Can do, would you want music with thunderstorm noises, or absent of such, and want it to be more ominous, dark, atmospheric, ambient? Maybe just post some examples of the sort of things you're thinking about, but with some broad variety. I could whip something up but it might come out very different than you may anticipate as I've been mainly practicing on a lot of horror music recently.

Absent of sound effects please, just some eerie, melodic dark stuff would be cool. If that's what you've been experimenting with then by all means, have at it! If you'd like some inspiration, the game I'm going to try and make will be set in a stone city that is built vertically, and at night there are sometimes whispers of attacks from vampiric beings that live in the forest at the base of the city. So I'm looking for something that captures the tension of walking around at night in a storm in the relative safety of the higher-up parts, but with an undertone of potential menace!

Dusk Golem

I'm down to make some atmospheric and instrumental game music for anyone.

Message me and let me know if you're interested!

Oh, very awesome idea! This is great I wish I actually had the mental capacity/patience to use RPG Maker to its fullest but alas I can not. plus I'd have no idea what kind of story I'd like to do anyway.

However, I'd love to help out anyone if I can. I make music... Mostly melodic-y or symphonic-y rock/metal stuff and some ambient stuff. Not sure if my quality would be up to snuff with some other musicians in here but I can be a last resort if you need one heh.

Got it, and added both of you and myself to a section in the second post for members willing to help those who need resources for their game. Will remove when the deadline ends, or if you decide to back out (PM me about it).

If anyone else doesn't mind helping with assets, either post about it here or PM me.

Absent of sound effects please, just some eerie, melodic dark stuff would be cool. If that's what you've been experimenting with then by all means, have at it! If you'd like some inspiration, the game I'm going to try and make will be set in a stone city that is built vertically, and at night there are sometimes whispers of attacks from vampiric beings that live in the forest at the base of the city. So I'm looking for something that captures the tension of walking around at night in a storm in the relative safety of the higher-up parts, but with an undertone of potential menace!

Got it, I'll try to whip something up and post a take on it in about 1-3 hours.

Stampy

Yep, great job with this thread. Can't wait to start learning something new...LBP was the last creative thing I did.

ZeroXZee

I don't know if I can participate (have some problems making international purchases, so no HB for me :( ), but I would gladly test and vote for some games.

but if we have a event like this for Game Maker, count me in! :)

Capra

I've always wanted to make a game in RM and I need some sort of project to keep me busy this Summer. Count me in to make... something. Can't guarantee it'll be something good, but it will be something.

ZeroXZee

Potentially interested, but is there a good (free?) music composition tool available that works with this?

As far as I know, you can use WAV files (or MP3 with some extra work), so I guess that almost any program should be fine.

I made some MIDI some years ago with MIDI Maker, but I think that it does not work on Win 7/8, only XP... :(

RMI

Banned
Good idea for a thread and competition. I don't know how much my schedule this summer will allow me to participate, but I will try to make something even if it is very short. Subscribed.

The Adder

Banned
I'm in. I've been wondering how to go about telling the (entirely supplemental) backstory of the setting of the book I've been writing. Also looking for ways to advertise said book. Two birds, one stone.

Dusk Golem

Potentially interested, but is there a good (free?) music composition tool available that works with this?

As far as I know, you can use WAV files (or MP3 with some extra work), so I guess that almost any program should be fine.

I made some MIDI some years ago with MIDI Maker, but I think that it does not work on Win 7/8, only XP... :(

An individualistic tool? No. But RPG Maker VX Ace at least can use .wav, .ogg, and .midi, XP can use .midi and shorter .wav for sound effects (I think).

With some meddling, VX Ace can also use .mp3s. There's a few scripts for it.

Dusk Golem

BTW, humble bundle is region free? It works on any steam region acounts?

Definitely so, I've had a friend from the UK and from Arabia buy the bundle, so it is region free.

Yeah, if it's successful it should be a yearly thing, we can call it GAF Game Jam or something.

I'm a bit surprised how enthusiastic people are for this, to see how it goes though.

I do theatre with a buddy of mine who's also a big gamer. We're currently performing in Monty Python's Spamalot and, with this Humble Bundle, we're throwing around ideas for a Holy Grail/Spamalot RPG. I don't know if we'll ever actually get around to making it but it's fun brainstorming ideas.

Dusk Golem

So are midi renditions of copyrighted songs allowed?

For this contest? Why not.

For a commercial product? Definitely not.

Midis aren't the original and a bit gray-area, but these aren't commercial products and just passion works, as were the Midis, so why not? Though I'd be cautious in some cases to not step over a careful line, by which I mean for instance if you're trying to make an atmosphere with your game, a player recognizing a song from another game can take them out of the moment.

aett

This is a great idea. Last year I came up with an idea for a bare-bones (FF1-style) RPG with a couple of interesting twists, but it all fell apart when it was time to actually create the battle gameplay elements: monsters, characters, skills.

Angry Grimace

Two cannibals are eating a clown. One turns to the other and says "does something taste funny to you?"
This is something that sounds awesome, but I don't think I have any talent or ideas.

RMI

Banned
I wound up an extra code for VX Ace if a fellow gaffer wants to PM me I can send the gift link.

*claimed

Stampy

ok bought the bundle. Downloading it now. The easy part is done. First couple of days will probably just do the tutorials and play two or three RPG maker games, just to get the feel for it..

atr0cious

I'm in. I've been meaning to grab this after being really dissapointed with Game Makers dialog system, or lack thereof. Hope you guys like text adventures.

legacyzero

Banned
Subbed. And dammit, you're gonna make me dust off my old RMXP skills, aren't ya.

The trouble is, when I get started, I'm a detail freak. So an August deadline is gonna be tough. Does this have to be a full game? Or can it be like a really big demo?

BlueSteel

Very kind of you! Keep in mind that RPG Maker without some meddling with the code won't take .mp3, but by default takes .wav and .ogg (VX Ace, XP uses .midi).

And looping is important for RPG Maker games.

Haha, I've dabbled with rpgmaker years back, so I know the drill :). I'm just too lazy and uncreative to make a whole game by myself, but at least I can contribute music haha. My music is also pretty loop-y to begin with anyways, so it all works out.

SkyOdin

I have a quick rules question. I actually have an RPGMaker project I've been working on for a few months. I presume that it would be against the spirit of the competition to submit work that wasn't entirely made within the time-frame of the contest?

TrueGrime

Might have to get into this. I remember fiddling around with a poorly translated RPG Maker way back in the day. I can't even remember which version it was.

Top Bottom