• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey GAF, let's make an RPG Maker Game Competition!

flyover

Here is our submission....

The Last Willie

Congratulations! I have so much respect for anyone in this thread who completes something. Epic or tiny, good or bad, buggy or flawless... it doesn't really matter. You deserve a ton of credit for completing something like this. It's not easy.

Downloading the game now.

Dusk Golem

A 21st Century Rockefeller
As a heads-up, contest ends in a little more than 3 days.

t1407484800z4.png

For those who have incomplete games, I say still release it. If we have less than 13 entries, which is likely, then you're still going to win stuff at least for effort, and even if there's things about it you don't like, I don't think anyone here will be super critical, and feedback and people experiencing your game can be a wonderful thing.

Goddamn, time is so close. It's funny that whenever I try my hand at something like this and Naniwrimo, something always comes up like people visiting, family sickness, and moving to another state. I'll still release the game, since it's more of a self aware adventure game (even then I don't know if I'm really happy with I have down), than a typical rpg, but I probably will be missing out on scenarios and bugs.

Copons

t1407484800z4.png

For those who have incomplete games, I say still release it. If we have less than 13 entries, which is likely, then you're still going to win stuff at least for effort, and even if there's things about it you don't like, I don't think anyone here will be super critical, and feedback and people experiencing your game can be a wonderful thing.

I've seriously underestimated last week: I was on vacation with my laptop, ready to close the game (and testing? who cares about testing! :D ), but instead I've had literally no internet connection, and I couldn't get several files stored on my Dropbox folder (which I forgot to sync before leaving) and on Google Docs.

So now I've to decide if wrap it up as an Episode 1 of a likely-never-to-be-finished game, or to skip 1/4 of the game, going directly to the final battle in some kind of weird twist (it's a nonsensical comedy, so I could actually pull this off :D ), but in this case I'd blow the (tiny) chances of actually complete the game.

Anyway, tomorrow my schedule says: 24h of RPG Maker. So at this point, with a last day crunch, who knows...

EDIT: "last day" because the day after tomorrow I'm leaving again and I don't know if I'll have time for developing. :(

ZenaxPure

Anyway, tomorrow my schedule says: 24h of RPG Maker. So at this point, with a last day crunch, who knows...

Haha, I wish you luck. There has been a few days near the end here where I've put around 10 hours a day into my project (the joys of being unemployed I guess) and it was mentally exhausting. When I would decide to finally call it quits I just sat in my chair and listened to music cause my brain was too fried for anything that required attention.

t1407484800z4.png

Man, watching this thread has been fun. I haven't gotten deep in my project, but I'd love this thread or a thread like it to continue after the contest where people can seek advice and bounce ideas off of each other.

Good luck all who enter. And great job! Getting (near) done is an accomplishment itself :)

esterk

Man, watching this thread has been fun. I haven't gotten deep in my project, but I'd love this thread or a thread like it to continue after the contest where people can seek advice and bounce ideas off of each other.

Good luck all who enter. And great job! Getting (near) done is an accomplishment itself :)
Same for me. I really wanted to get my game done but unfortunately had a lot of stuff come up in my personal life that halted progress. I still want to finish it though, and would love to share with you guys when I do. If I have an incomplete but still playable enough build by deadline I may just put it up, but that isn't looking likely.

I will happy to play the finished works however and give feedback! And of course give my second place prize out. Good luck to those on the home stretch!

Foggy

Came to this a little late in the game, so maybe I'll hop in next time. My respect goes out to all of you and I look forward to check these out

sld

It's great to see all the encouragement here, that means a lot! My game is very small in scope but it's still been a huge undertaking for me personally. Lately, I feel I've got a lot of crap to deal with in my personal life, so setting aside a couple of hours here and there for working with this game have been a great stress reliever.

I WILL make sure I have something to contribute before the time is over! If I have made something that can entertain you guys at least a little then it'll all be worth it. I wish I had more time to talk about my game, showing pictures and what not... But since time is running short I will concentrate everything to just polish, polish and more polish before the deadline.

About the deadline
Might be a stupid question but... The deadline is August 7th at 11:59PM... But which time zone? It would suck to submit something in the last minute only to find out you're actually too late.

Copons

It's great to see all the encouragement here, that means a lot! My game is very small in scope but it's still been a huge undertaking for me personally. Lately, I feel I've got a lot of crap to deal with in my personal life, so setting aside a couple of hours here and there for working with this game have been a great stress reliever.

I WILL make sure I have something to contribute before the time is over! If I have made something that can entertain you guys at least a little then it'll all be worth it. I wish I had more time to talk about my game, showing pictures and what not... But since time is running short I will concentrate everything to just polish, polish and more polish before the deadline.

About the deadline
Might be a stupid question but... The deadline is August 7th at 11:59PM... But which time zone? It would suck to submit something in the last minute only to find out you're actually too late.

PST! (so, August 8th at 8:59 AM for
most
EU people)

originalself

Neo Member
Here is my game. It was tough to complete between work and life but i enjoyed learning the program and finishing something.
title.jpg
img1.jpg

img2.jpg
img3.jpg

Delinquent's Journey
Created by Originalself.
What type of game: RPG
Resources Used: Music and art from the RTP and humble bundle. Plus art or scripts by Mack, DM, and Cronus.

"Delinquent's Journey is a casual RPG romp with the story focusing on an unwanted youth's adventure at a new school far from home. I hope you enjoy it."

Download:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15395389/Delinquent's%20Journey.exe
No RTP download:https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/15395389/Delinquent's%20Journey-no-rtp.exe
Steam Workshop Downloadhttp://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=296311921

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
You can reduce the distribution size by
* Removing the "RTP=RPGVXAce" line from Game.ini
* Adding any needed resources from the RTP dir (eg.: F:\Steam\steamapps\common\RPGVXAce\rtp). The biggest files are the BGMs, so if anything, cull those.
* When compressing the game data you can keep the "Include RTP Data" checkbox ticked off.

My distro size went from 300MB to 8MB, which is a hell of a lot quicker to download.

Copons

* Adding any needed resources from the RTP dir (eg.: F:\Steam\steamapps\common\RPGVXAce\rtp). The biggest files are the BGMs, so if anything, cull those.
* When compressing the game data you can keep the "Include RTP Data" checkbox ticked off.

My distro size went from 300MB to 8MB, which is a hell of a lot quicker to download.

This is really interesting, and now I'm kinda crying because I haven't logged which BGMs I used in the game. :D

This is really interesting, and now I'm kinda crying because I haven't logged which BGMs I used in the game. :D

You could try this. (I don't know how well it works.)

Also, you can export the game without RTP, remove the RTP= line from the Game.ini, then play through the game and if any resource is missing, a message box will pop up telling you so when that resource is being used. You'll have to play through all of the game without missing anything, though.

Shiiiiit. I knew I forgot to do something. I didn't prune unused resources. I'll have to do that and update it.

th3dude

Just wanted to chime in and say congrats to all that have/are submitting.

Huge milestone to finish something. Some friends are in this thread submitting so I've been following.

Good luck to all and can't wait to play some of these.

Copons

You could try this. (I don't know how well it works.)

Also, you can export the game without RTP, remove the RTP= line from the Game.ini, then play through the game and if any resource is missing, a message box will pop up telling you so when that resource is being used. You'll have to play through all of the game without missing anything, though.

I'm probably
definitely
the king of idiots.

Not only this thing has been already discussed in this very thread, but I already have that script in my game's scripts list, and I have actually used it at least once (as there's a resources.txt file in my game folder. :D

ZenaxPure

Is this very hard to do? It sounds great (since my game was 200 MB), but I don't want to risk fucking anything up.

kogasu

Oh man it's so close now. I can't wait to see everyone's finished product. I know I haven't posted much in here. It's mostly because I'm not making a game but it's been fun watching the thread and... "attempting" to help out. Keep up that great work guys.

Ray Wonder

Founder of the Wounded Tagless Children

Copons

Geez... yesterday I worked on my game for like 14 hours, then I died on the bed and now I just need to polish the ending sequence and import the ending credits.

When? I don't know, as today I'll be driving most day, and tomorrow I don't think I'll be able to be at the PC for more than a couple of hours top... :'(

PYyLUnt.jpg

Additional Screenshots
Created by Albin Bernhardsson (Chainsawkitten).
Genre: Drama, Mystery
Estimated length: 15-30 min
Speedrun: 8 min
Resources used:
-scripts: Built-In, Custom, Hime Works, Gustavo Bicalho, modern algebra
-graphics: Custom, fire by Marshall Watson
-music: Custom
-sound effects: Custom, CGEffex, Ryding, skyklan47

An honest girl is here before us, lifeless,
a silent statue, in her frozen likeness.
No tears will raise her, drugs or magic rhyme.
There was, there wasn't, once upon a time.

Úgy fekszik o, ki küzdve tört a jobbra,
mint önmagának dermedt-néma szobra.
Nem kelti föl se könny, se szó, se vegyszer.
Hol volt, hol nem volt a világon egyszer.​
excerpt, Halotti beszéd (Funeral Oration), Kosztolányi Dezso, 1933.

You think life works like in the crime novels, detective Czeilik? Reality bears no such sense of justice.

Download
Installer (17.9 MB)
ZIP (18.2 MB)
Soundtrack (9.5 MB)

RTP not required.

Source included. If you have RPG Maker VX Ace, just open the project file to check it out if you're interested.

Hey all,

First of all, thanks to the organizers of this thread for putting together such a cool project. It gave me the kick I needed to start doing actual work on a game, which is pretty cool. I learned a whole lot, and it was very rewarding considering all of the hard work required!

This is the prologue for a game that I'd like to improve and develop as I learn more about programming and design. It is very much an unfinished product, but I wanted to share it anyway to get some feedback and accomplish something! The prologue ends very abruptly - I didn't end up with the time I needed to wrap up. I'm really sorry about that! I also wanted to add some tutorials for the basic systems. Anyone familiar with RPG maker or JRPGs shouldn't have a problem. I used the default systems for most of the game. I apologize for any bugs - hopefully there isn't anything game breaking!

I'm getting ready to head out of town for a few days, so I'm submitting a bit early. I look forward to playing everyone's entries! As was said many times, just finishing something is an accomplishment, and taking part in this will teach you that! I hope someone gets some enjoyment out of my small game. :)

HyeBVbU.png

mwkf21V.png

IfDizvI.png

The Age of Dusk - Prologue

kn1ves24

Before the official deadline I'll take a look at pruning out our file to cut down on the download size.

I didn't think 300mb was too big but if it can be cut down might as well do it to save people downloading it bandwidth and time.

Thanks for the heads up.

Before the official deadline I'll take a look at pruning out our file to cut down on the download size.

I didn't think 300mb was too big but if it can be cut down might as well do it to save people downloading it bandwidth and time.

Thanks for the heads up.

Considering how much it can be reduced by, I'd very much appreciate it. 300 MB is probably too much for me on my parents' Internet unless you can resume interrupted downloads (eg. Dropbox is fine but not all file sharing sites allow you to). I should be back to my own place, with better Internet, before the voting period is over but if there's a lot of large games, I might not be able to play them all fully.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
MurderMysteryMansion_1.jpg
MurderMysteryMansion_2.jpg

MURDER MYSTERY MANSION

By Cho-Yan Wong
Based on the MS-DOS game SLEUTH by Eric N. Miller

Version 0.3 - http://tempy.org/games/MurderMysteryMansion/MurderMysteryMansion.0.3.zip (13MB)
Version 0.2 - http://tempy.org/games/MurderMysteryMansion/MurderMysteryMansion.0.2.zip (8MB)

*** ABOUT

MURDER MYSTERY MANSION is a short detective game based on the old MS-DOS game from 1983 named SLEUTH by Eric N. Miller.

Someone was brutally murdered while staying at the McMullen Mansion. The body was moved so it's uncertain what the original murder room was. The murder weapon has also not been found.

Meanwhile, the other guests have not left the mansion, but are roaming restlessly within its many rooms.

It's up to you, the Inspector, to question the guests and figure out who did it; as well as finding the murder weapon and the murder room. Take too long and the murderer might end up stalking and killing you!

*** HOW TO PLAY

• First off, you seem to have misplaced your trusty magnifying glass somewhere in the mansion. Without it you can't examine objects clearly, so go find it!
  • Once you've acquired your magnifying glass, examine various objects for traces of blood. Potential murder weapons might be hidden inside other objects. Find the murder weapon, and pick it up!
  • As for the murder room, examine furniture for traces of blood. The murder will have occurred in the same room where blood has been spilled!
  • Question the guests on their whereabouts during the murder. The murderer will have a conflicting alibi! You might have to prod them multiple times however.
  • Once you've figured out who, where, and with what - proceed to the murder room, hit ESCAPE and then select "Gather Guests". This will gather all the guests inside the room. You will then accuse one of the guests as being the murderer. You win if your guess is right. If you're wrong however, the murderer will get away with the crime, and it's GAME OVER.
  • Hold SHIFT to walk faster.
  • Press F1 for program properties. I recommend making sure "Reduce screen flickering" is on!
  • Press F5 to toggle Fullscreen or Windowed modes.
  • Press F6 to toggle between x1, x2, x3 scaling.

*** CHANGELOG
- September 29, 2014
- Version 0.3
- Guests will notice something wrong in the murder room.
- Hallway will be fogged out when entering a room.
- Add emotion balloons.
- Add new music from Cinematic Soundtrack pack.
- August 7, 2014
- Version 0.2 submitted for the NeoGAF 2014 RPG Maker Contest (http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?p=122935243).

*** TODO LIST
- Custom names.
- More flavor text. Especially alibis.
- Portraits need replacing.
- Replace all borrowed artwork.
- Add confirmation dialogs.
- Replace Title image.

*** CREDITS

* Design, Art, Script by Cho-Yan Wong
* Based on the MS-DOS game SLEUTH by Eric N. Miller

* Engine: RPGMaker VX Ace by ENTERBRAIN

* Addition Scripts:
- Soulpour777 - Scene Credits VXA
- Matt Sully - 640x480 Resolution
- Hime - Bit Switches, Region Fog, Region Names, Large Choices, Choice Options
- Yanfly - Ace Menu Engine, Ace Message System

* Additional Art:
- RPG MAKER DS+ Resource Pack - [Copyright](C) 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC; artists Archeia, EvilEagles, Tobby Ong, Caz
- Modern Tileset Resource Pack - [Copyright](C) 2012 ENTERBRAIN, INC; artist Lunarea
- Rural Farm Tiles Resource Pack - [Copyright](C) 2014 ENTERBRAIN, INC; artist Celianna
- Character Generator - Mack@Loose Leaf

kn1ves24

Considering how much it can be reduced by, I'd very much appreciate it. 300 MB is probably too much for me on my parents' Internet unless you can resume interrupted downloads (eg. Dropbox is fine but not all file sharing sites allow you to). I should be back to my own place, with better Internet, before the voting period is over but if there's a lot of large games, I might not be able to play them all fully.

Understandable. I did some looking at this tonight and I really wish I had known about some of this sooner. I'm sure it was covered in some of the tutorials somewhere and its entirely my own fault for not researching it better. Since this was me and Black's first go at RPGMaker we weren't overly efficient with how we handled resources in the game. The result is I really can't easily determine what is being used and what isn't. I can pull most of the stock audio out but most of the space is being occupied by the DLC graphic/audio packs we used and our own audio. Again most of the graphics are needed but I'm sure there are some that are not. Unfortunately with the cut-off approaching and my work schedule, I don't have the time to remove the resources and do proper testing to insure the game still works.

To help people with bandwidth or connection issues, I added a dropbox link to the game file. Its just a personal account so its subject to dropbox's bandwidth usage restrictions.

Understandable. I did some looking at this tonight and I really wish I had known about some of this sooner. I'm sure it was covered in some of the tutorials somewhere and its entirely my own fault for not researching it better. Since this was me and Black's first go at RPGMaker we weren't overly efficient with how we handled resources in the game. The result is I really can't easily determine what is being used and what isn't. I can pull most of the stock audio out but most of the space is being occupied by the DLC graphic/audio packs we used and our own audio. Again most of the graphics are needed but I'm sure there are some that are not. Unfortunately with the cut-off approaching and my work schedule, I don't have the time to remove the resources and do proper testing to insure the game still works.

To help people with bandwidth or connection issues, I added a dropbox link to the game file. Its just a personal account so its subject to dropbox's bandwidth usage restrictions.

Since I already have the RTP installed (and I assume a lot of people in this thread do), simply unchecking Include RTP and uploading an RTP-less copy would be nice.

Like:

Some of these look really good, wish I had jumped on the bundle when it came out, I was undecided and now kicking myself for not bothering. Hopefully they will throw a similar bundle out there again.

Tempy

don't ask me for codes
Regarding the rating process - people use different rating scales, so a numerical score might be a bit unbalanced. If someone's comparing to a full-fledged commercial product, they're less likely to give an entry 5/5 for fun factor; but someone else could if they're comparing to the "average" RPG Maker game.

Instead, I propose a relative ranking with points assigned to it. Say, you can give 1 game 3 pts, 2 games 2pts, 3 games 1pt. Or a top 10 ranking where #1 gets 10pts, #2 9pts, etc.

Regarding the rating process - people use different rating scales, so a numerical score might be a bit unbalanced. If someone's comparing to a full-fledged commercial product, they're less likely to give an entry 5/5 for fun factor; but someone else could if they're comparing to the "average" RPG Maker game.

Instead, I propose a relative ranking with points assigned to it. Say, you can give 1 game 3 pts, 2 games 2pts, 3 games 1pt. Or a top 10 ranking where #1 gets 10pts, #2 9pts, etc.

I don't mind the rating system. If one person judges based on commercial games they'll do that for all of them and it should even out, and vice versa. It seems like it'd be harder to have to rank them in a ranking system for me.

On that note, I'm playing all of the games but, refraining from judging. I can't do it and not have bias creep in (good or bad or both).

colt92

Neo Member

I prefer the rating system in the OP. Your system implies a limit on the number of games you can rate and is too crude, because it forces you to put some games below others.

Rapstah

Just in case I'm on a list somewhere, I'm pulling out because it turned out I had shit to do all summer too this year. Thanks to the concept for introducing me to the programs though, it's been fun seeing what you can make them do.

Copons

0JV5pKt.png

Brodzilla

A divine beast ascends from the depths of the world, laying havoc and despair onto anyone who dares to cross its path.
An ancient artifact, the only weapon able to defeat the beast, is missing, of course.
The customary random guy will have to depart against his will for the adventure of a lifetime.
And he owns a hookshot, so, you know, he's totally the coolest.

Created by: Jacopo "Copons" Tomasone
Genre: Action RPG / Comedy
Estimated length: 1.30 hours (speedrun 15-20 minutes)
External resources used:
- RTP by Enterbrain, Inc.
- Ace Core Engine, Ace Menu Engine and Ace Message System by Yanfly
- Pearl ABS Liquid by Falcao
- Tile Swap by Hime and Rycochet
- Region Events and Resource Checker by Hime
- Fixed Pictures by Seer UK and Original Wij

Instructions:

Arrows: move the guy, navigate the menu.
F: sword.
G: hookshot.
Space, Enter: interact, confirm.
Shift: run, fast forward dialogues.
Esc: menu, cancel.

Version 1.1 download link
(70MB, RTP not required)
This should work fine, but just in case it gives you some new error, you could try downloading the previous version and applying the patch if needed (link in the following quote/spoiler).

Download link
68MB, RTP not be required.
I've left the original project file inside, so make sure you run the .exe file to play the game, not the .rvproj2 one.
WARNING: here is the CORRECT Game.ini file. Just copy and paste it in the Brodzilla folder, replacing the old one. It basically removes the line with a reference to the RTP, which I forgot to delete, making the game not working without RTP; if you have RTP installed it should work fine with the old .ini file.
I'd upload the entire game again, but at the moment I've the worst internet ever and it would take me years to do, but I promise, as soon as I get back home, next week, I'll fix everything for real.

Additional screenshots:

VlfxYPi.jpg

Huge stuff coming out from the ceiling.

LtVHuT0.jpg

Plenty of places you won't be able to reach in the game.

eT8kR4U.jpg

Astounding framekilling real-time (?) weather effects.

8CeELVS.jpg

Horrors, horrors everywhere.

ahHcXFA.gif

And a rolling cat.

ZenaxPure

Alright, time to throw my hat in I guess.

The end of the world is quickly approaching as a mysterious darkness is engulfing everything around. You play as a group of heroes as they attempt to survive the last few days and find a way to stop the encroaching darkness... Or at least find a way to escape... Okay, okay. I realize that sounds kind of dark and generic, but the game is actually pretty lighthearted and I put a lot of silly stuff in there (not really trying to be funny exactly, just silly and fun). The story is very fast paced and covers a large scale in a short amount of time (which I purposefully poke fun at in the game).

Genre: RPG focused on exploration, combat, and tiny nearly unnoticeable things in the story changing over the course of your adventure.

Length: I bring this up because I realized at the end of creating my game that the length is going to be pretty different for everyone. Just blazing through the story you should be able to get through in around 2 and half hours, but, there are a couple of side things that can add time if you choose to achieve them. Also the game is set up in a hub-like manner and you can complete a few of the tasks in a non-linear fashion. This ended up making the final clear time pretty different every time I tested the game and had my friend play it.

Anyway, like others in this thread I had never used RPG Maker VX before this project... So this entire thing has been a great (and fun) learning experience. My goal with this game was to see what I could do with the base program. So: don't expect any great art (as I am no artist) or any really fancy systems as I purposefully chose not to use any big custom scripts because I wanted to see what I alone could achieve with the program. The first thing I noticed was that the default combat in the game is pretty simplistic.

So, knowing that the combat didn't have a lot of systems to use I chose to put my effort into making each of the playable characters completely different. By completely different I mean beyond just having different sets of abilities and roles in combat, each character has a unique style that sets them apart. On top of that my other big goal was making sure each boss encounter was unique in some way (so make sure you save before each one in case you get lost!). This doesn't mean that they are all super challenging (in fact the game is fairly easy overall as I want people to get through it). I also tried to apply this to normal enemies as well because foes that are nothing more than punching bags always annoy me in games like this.

Lastly something I've always been obsessed with in games my entire life is minor changes through the story that in reality don't have much impact on the big picture, but adds flavor/discovery to the world. The ending of the game in particular has some granular details that can be different, which changes the amount of information about the world you have as the player. Ideally most of this is subtle so it will all seem natural. I mostly bring this up to give you an idea of what I was trying to accomplish with the story/world.

Download link is back! I just went with the RTP route this time since the file size is pretty similar (I used a lot of the default assets in my game haha). Download size is now 197 MB. Just tell me if anything doesn't work!

Uh, have fun and stuff! That is all. I apologize if any bugs spring up.

Top Bottom