• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey Nintendudes, Is Switch 2 vaporware or do you believe?

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
Switch may be like Gameboy where it's around so long it becomes an anceint artifact from the dark ages.

Switch 1 has cruddy hardware but I don't think Nintendo is going to release Switch 2 anytime soon because Pokemon and Splatoon sales are higher than ever. They don't care about graphics just profits.

People have been trying to predict this thing for years yet it never comes.

huh-confused.gif

I know it’s been said every year but I wouldn’t be surprised to see a successor next year. That doesn’t mean they will abandon the Switch by any means, there will likely be a long ass cross-gen period.

RCU005

TBH, the Switch should be like the GameBoy until they are ready to make a fully capable console with current tech.

The Game Boy simile is not bad. They continued to improve on the GameBoy each generation, so they could do the same with the Switch without killing the brand and the hype.

But how would they make it so that people doesn’t get confused like the Wii and Wii U debacle?

People back then had no issues knowing that a Game Boy color was the newest, and then Advance. They had no issue knowing the 3DS was the new DS (even after the DSi)

So why did people get so confused with Wii and Wii U? Would people get confused if they release another Switch branded console?

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
My fear is that Nintendo will go another way like they always try to do, and come up with a totally different concept for the console. Switch is a winning concept, and they should stick with it. I hope they call it the Switch 2, but I'm sure they'll call it Switch Advance or something that will confuse people like WiiU.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
Last edited:
It is vaporware. There is a hardcore element that believes in every leak and is still adamant that they know the exact details of the SWITCH 2.. but the only evidence they have is some hacked files with soc details. Even if people point out to them that prototypes exist, they refuse to accept this and insist the Switch pro/2 will be out this year. They have been insisting it will be out this year for the last 2 years.

Nintendo will make a new console, but I don't think they are in any rush.

Quasicat

Of course it will happen, but Nvidia hasn’t done their thing with the new chip yet. The original Switch’s integrated chip was running on the 2015 Shield TV first. The updated chip was in the 2019 Shield TV first. There are rumors of a more powerful Shield TV on the way and I’m sure it will use the new chip first based on how Nvidia operates. Plus, Nvidia told their shareholders that their relationship with Nintendo will last at least a decade.
Source: https://wccftech.com/nintendo-switch-amaze-players-nvidia-ceo-relationship-decades/

Last edited:

Ol'Scratch

A new system has to happen sooner or later, it is not a question. And then the other companies will eventually put out a new system.
It is not some kind of Kreskin thing.
Of course when it does hit you will have all of these "I told you so!!" "I called it!!!!" horse shit.

Bernkastel

Ask me about my fanboy energy!
but the only evidence they have is some hacked files with soc details.
Why would Nvidia send merge requests to commit to the Linux kernel for supporting a prototype SOC?
Even if people point out to them that prototypes exist, they refuse to accept this and insist the Switch pro/2 will be out this year. They have been insisting it will be out this year for the last 2 years.
It would just been another random leak about someone talking about something called Tegra239 to be used for Switch successor. But a year after the leak Nvidia basically confirmed it's existence. Also, no one believes it will magically launch this year.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
Nintendo won't greenlight a game without a good hook, or innovation.

So of course they won't do a Switch 2. If that's what you are expecting, I would suggest reconsidering. It is gonna be something ele.

Woopah

We know Nvidia is working on a new, much more powerful SoC for Nintendo and I do think that there are dev kits out there.

My personal prediction is that Switch will be like a GameBoy, and 2023 will be the year we get the "Gameboy Colour" moment, when Nintnedo releases a more powerful version which runs games not available on the previous Switch models.

Deerock71

They can continue to R & D and let mobile chipsets evolve, and then they might consider a PRICE CUT on the Switch. They still have ALL the arrows in their quiver to keep the Switch train a runnin'.

Fbh

Nope, nintendo will never release new hardware. Pokemon just sold another 20m copies this morning

The year is 2040, Switch is celebrating its 23rd birthday
Breath of the Wild is releasing its fourth sequel, it recycles the same map but now you can go to space too and explore space stations.
Gamefreak just announced their newest entry Pokemon Coke and Pokemon Pepsi, it now has the production values of Xenoblade Chronicles 1 (on Wii, not the Switch remake) and Gamefreak is proud to reveal that a breakthrough in image interpolation technology has allowed them to push the framerate up to a consistent 20fps, the opening cutscene now has a full 30 seconds of voice acting but in doing so they've had to cut 95% of Pokemon from the game.
Mario Kart 8 is still going strong and getting new DLC, they are now demaking all the tracks and making them look like Mario Kart 64. Mario Kart 9 still hasn't been announced
Metroid Prime 4 is reportedly going to launch any minute now

Last edited:

Kikorin

It will arrive 2024, hardware will disappoint who still has not understood that Nintendo don't care about powerful hardware (but will be powerful enough to receive porting of ps5/xsx games until 2027), will launch with Mario Kart 9 (cross-platform) and will not be called Switch 2. That's my guess, hope someone will resume this thread in some years.

It will arrive 2024, hardware will disappoint who still has not understood that Nintendo don't care about powerful hardware (but will be powerful enough to receive porting of ps5/xsx games until 2027), will launch with Mario Kart 9 (cross-platform) and will not be called Switch 2. That's my guess, hope someone will resume this thread in some years.

I’m not really optimistic about the next iteration getting current gen games…i don’t see it being more powerful than xbox/ps4 pro models

I’m not really optimistic about the next iteration getting current gen games…i don’t see it being more powerful than xbox/ps4 pro models
This is why I think Nintendo should hold on as long as they can for the tech to evolve. For the next Nintendo console to equal the success of the Switch they need it to be better value and compete with Valve's Steam deck at least. Otherwise, it is going to have a hard time getting that market to invest.
Nintendo without the adult market is basically 3DS numbers if that. Nintendo cant drop down to a 60-70 million unit product. This is just my opinion.

Moochi

Switch 2, the Nintendo Scroll, with a flexible screen that rolls up when it retracts. Sounds cool but the graphics are all Ukiyo-e with a woodblock processer that doesn't work unless you feed it octopus blood and geisha parts.

Boy bawang

We know, since the Nvidia hack, that the machine exists. We even have ballpark estimations of its capacity.
The timing of release and reveal is anybody's guess. Many believe in 2023, I believe in 2024.

Kataploom

Gold Member
We know, since the Nvidia hack, that the machine exists. We even have ballpark estimations of its capacity.
The timing of release and reveal is anybody's guess. Many believe in 2023, I believe in 2024.
I keep seeing that mentioned here, I probably ignored the last few ones since I got tired of rumors but can you show me where can I check them? Thank you in advance

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
The longer it takes the better the tech will be. I’m not worried.

Gotta admit Xeno 3 and Bayo 3 were painful.

GigaBowser

The bear of bad news
You can't just believe all the crud you hear online.

Every generation there's rumours about powerful Nintendo consoles and it's always total BS. It just isn't happening.

Robb

Gold Member
I really hope so and I hope it comes out sooner rather than later. But considering all the supply issues I’m thinking they’ll wait for as long as they possibly can before launching something new.

Happosai

Hold onto your panties
Its going to launch w BOTW2, I still believe!
You could be right but I remember seeing ads for Switch a year prior to launch. The wise thing would be to launch it w/ Tears of the Kingdom. However, Switch has outlasted Wii U for integrity. Reminds me, BoTW was on Wii U...wonder if they were even able to sell those beyond 2017.

Woopah

As long as it's getting a lot of PS5 games I don't think people can be that disappointed in its power.
This is why I think Nintendo should hold on as long as they can for the tech to evolve. For the next Nintendo console to equal the success of the Switch they need it to be better value and compete with Valve's Steam deck at least. Otherwise, it is going to have a hard time getting that market to invest.
Nintendo without the adult market is basically 3DS numbers if that. Nintendo cant drop down to a 60-70 million unit product. This is just my opinion.
DLSS is going to be an ace in the hole for Nintendo when it comes to getting current gen ports and multiplats.
I keep seeing that mentioned here, I probably ignored the last few ones since I got tired of rumors but can you show me where can I check them? Thank you in advance
This has a general summary https://metro.co.uk/2022/03/02/nint...nvidia-hack-and-theyre-powerful-16200648/amp/
You can't just believe all the crud you hear online.

Every generation there's rumours about powerful Nintendo consoles and it's always total BS. It just isn't happening.
These are stolen files from Nvidia, it's not just a rumour.

Last edited:
Top Bottom