• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey NYC. Ready to get your Mario early?

atomsk

Party Pooper
hmm, i might be going to the MC Frontalot show at Knitting Factory on sunday. maybe i'll stick around and head to NWS afterwards.

it's tempting

Fatalah

I have a pre-order at Gamestop, but if I can grab the game at a TRU and get the $25 gift certificate, I'll refund my gamestop pre-order ticket.

Tabris said:
I don't understand why someone would pre-order a game like Mario Galaxy... have you ever had a Nintendo game (besides really niche stuff) be sold out everywhere except for at launch of a system?

I dunno, I never have. Pre-orders are for stuff like Atlus games.

I couldn't find a copy of Ocarina of Time until about 3 days after launch when the next shipment came in.

Amir0x said:
i am actually considering going to this.

Considering driving two hours to New York to pick up this game a little early...

...shit

I am considering that also

so, if I dont do this, I can pick it up monday or tuesday from Gamestop?

Amir0x

Banned
i'm thinking of maybe taking the bus down to NYC instead of driving, but is there a bus on Sunday? Hmmm...

fabs115

too bad the game isnt going on sale sat night -into sunday morning at midnight, rather the other way around or id be all over this

makes no sense to go at midnight when i gotta be at work right there at 8am the next morning

Mejilan

Running off of Custom Firmware
fabs115 said:
too bad the game isnt going on sale sat night -into sunday morning at midnight, rather the other way around or id be all over this

makes no sense to go at midnight when i gotta be at work right there at 8am the next morning

I know. And if were anything but a game I REALLY, really wanted, I wouldn't even consider this.

Mejilan said:
Unless you're dumb-fucking lucky, GS/EBs will NOT have this on Monday.

DAMN YOU TIME!

atleast I class tuesday, but the day after im free, im gonna have to think of something...

driving down to NY is such a hassle, but NY isnt that far away.

Penguin

Amir0x said:
i'm thinking of maybe taking the bus down to NYC instead of driving, but is there a bus on Sunday? Hmmm...

Where are you coming from?

I found most things still run on Sundays just on a limited schedule.

Getting back may be a hassle.

But you will have

Mah Ree Oh

John Harker

Definitely doesn't make things up as he goes along.
Penguin said:
This one

pb020005fu5.jpg

what the hell, really?!
why would anyone NOT do that?

I'm looking forward to this game but there's no way I'm going up there to wait until midnight to buy a copy. If I was off on Monday maybe, but I'm just gonna go to the store during my lunch break on Monday instead.

D

Deleted member 284

Unconfirmed Member
Mejilan said:
:(

I NEVER get these "fake" holidays off. Not Columbus Day, not Veteran's Day. Bah.
Heheh...Dude, I get Martin Luther King Day, the two president holidays AND Cesar Chavez (forgive my possibly incorrect spelling) day off in March

<does happy dance>

TJ Spyke

What the hell is Cesar Chavez Day? That must be one of those state specific holiday (like how some southern states celebrate Confederate leader Robert E. Lee's birthday), and the majority of states celebrate President's Day (not Lincoln and Washington separately).

Meij, doesn't Nintendo usually make sure their big name games get released on their actual release date, rather than it just being their shipping date?

Penguin

TJ Spyke said:
What the hell is Cesar Chavez Day? That must be one of those state specific holiday (like how some southern states celebrate Confederate leader Robert E. Lee's birthday), and the majority of states celebrate President's Day (not Lincoln and Washington separately).

Meij, doesn't Nintendo usually make sure their big name games get released on their actual release date, rather than it just being their shipping date?

Nope.

As far as I can remember outside of hardware launches.

All their major games are usually the Tuesday with a release date on Monday.

Off hand remember Metroid, Sunshine and Wind Waker.

Mejilan

9.9 out of every 10 Nintendo games have a release date (ship date) of a Monday, with an in-store date of that Tuesday or Wednesday (depending on location). The only exceptions to this are the Nintendo World Store in NYC (which will sell them that Monday... or earlier), and, I imagine, their employee store in Seattle.

Pokemon was a very rare exception.

1up

Amir0x said:
i am actually considering going to this.

Considering driving two hours to New York to pick up this game a little early...

...shit

Thats what I'm doing. I cant wait. How many times do you get to attend a really big mario game opening like this? 2 hours is nothing.

TheLegend

I'll probably be there. Don't have class until 2 the next day so I might stay at my friends apartment, but then again I'm only a half an hour away so I could just take the train or drive back. Do you get a coin if you don't preorder?

Mejilan

Probably not, though if they have less preorders than coins, they might give away some to the first non-preorder customers, as long as supplies hold out.

Clouseau

According to the Nintendo press release with Buzz Aldrin and Mario:

Mario, Nintendo's iconic video game character, and Dr. Buzz Aldrin float in zero-gravity atmosphere to train for Mario's upcoming game set in space, Super Mario Galaxy for Wii on November 03, 2007 in Las Vegas, Nevada. The game is available in stores Monday, Nov. 12.

Take that for what it's worth but seeing how huge of a release this is I wouldn't doubt they are shipping it to all the stores later this week to make sure they are all stocked up. ie. like Bioshock, Halo, etc...etc....

Clouseau said:
According to the Nintendo press release with Buzz Aldrin and Mario:

Take that for what it's worth but seeing how huge of a release this is I wouldn't doubt they are shipping it to all the stores later this week to make sure they are all stocked up. ie. like Bioshock, Halo, etc...etc....

They better. All of gaf that works at retail needs to keep track of this, when do you expect Galaxy. I need it the second it hits stores.

Mejilan

People have already received their automated calls from GS' Aerith, telling them that their SMG preorders will be available on 11/13. And the EB/GS website has the game shipping on 11/12. That's never a good sign.

Mar

Amir0x said:
http://i184.photobucket.com/albums/x55/Amir0x/NYGAFersLabel100.jpg

ProTip: You can always find Penguin by his extreme usage of the cellphone!

I'm always surprised by these sorts of pictures. Everyone always turns out to look nothing like what I expected. For instance, I thought Ami was a thin black dude.

Clouseau

Supermariogalaxy.com also says to reserve your game at participating retailers by Nov 11th, and pick up your free bonus coin on the 12th. No mention of the game's street date but I assume they want you to pick up the game when you get your coin.

EDIT: Oh well, I'm sure we'll know by the end of this week whether they've shipped them out to stores already or not. I'm preordering at Gamestop tomorrow anyway so they can't pull the "Well we have them, but for preorders only" bullshit on me next Monday.

NYC is 4 hour drive for me....so uhhh....I dunno about that one

Spike

Can we get a Nintendo World Store here in Toronto? I mean, Nintendo sells really well up here and all...

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
TJ Spyke said:
Cesar Chavez was a labor leader and civil rights activist for migrant farm workers in the American West/Southwest. He's huge in California.

TJ Spyke

I'm aware of who Chavez is, history was my best subject in high school. I just didn't know he had a holiday for him. I checked Wikipedia after I posted that, and it's only a holiday in California and I live in New York, so that's likely why.

Penguin

Mar_ said:
I'm always surprised by these sorts of pictures. Everyone always turns out to look nothing like what I expected. For instance, I thought Ami was a thin black dude.

Sweet you expected Ami to be me :lol

Though not that thin..

I will be there. I'll need to get a copy Sunday night so I can spend a little time that weekend playing Mario Galaxy. Of course I will be making sure that I'm "working" from home the next day so I can maximize my Mario playtime on Monday too.

Baryn

Banned
It just sucks I'll be out at 2AM on a work night. I'll have to be up for work in 5 hours by then!

Maybe I'll go to the carnival until I meet a Gaffer then go home at a reasonable hour.

Penguin

New details or more details...

- Activities kickoff at 8 p.m (expect long lines!)
- DJ, dancers, Velcro wall, bungee run, trivia with fans, and other activities
- In-store laser light show
- Mario will be there for photo ops
- 250 Wiis at the store available for purchase
- Store open until 10 p.m., and will re-open at midnight to start sales

I don't know if I want to deal with the lines. I have mine pre-ordered there, I plan on picking it up on Monday I think. My friend wants a Wii and Galaxy maybe I can convince him to come into the city Sunday night with me since he'll probably be able to get a Wii.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Oh yeaaaaah. I have a meeting conveniently scheduled in NYC next week so I can pick this up for my US Wii and fly back before Euro launch.

I wonder if I can still pick one up next Tuesday or Wednesday in Nintendo World Store?

Top Bottom