• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hey, YouTube on the Switch is a thing now.

iconmaster

Banned
Announced by Nintendo of Europe but I assume it's available worldwide -- or will be shortly.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/YouTube-1467860.html

eYt3kor.png

Edit: US download link – https://www.nintendo.com/games/detail/youtube-switch

Last edited:

L0wMax

YouTube was amazing on the internet browser before they crippled it. The real crime was the Netflix app.
You can't view comments or anything that I know of, and the resistive touchscreen doesn't serve the UI well at all. The Netflix app disabled use of the touchscreen and forces you to use this shitty square non-querty keypad. Why would they do that???

Mozza

The YouTube app on the Switch is pretty awesome,and the videos look very nice on the screen,there was no waiting or buffering on any video I have watched thus far.

JCK75

Hopefully it has the ability to download videos if you're a premium subscriber, that feature + Youtube kids makes trucking my 5 year old around in the car much more pleasant.

DonF

I feel like blizzard but...don't people have smartphones? I really struggle with the idea of preferring the switch over most phones for youtube.
2k AMOLED screen vs 720p lcd.

Fbh

Nice.
Would be interesting to get some usage data at some point. Every time I've mentioned wanting Youtube, Netflix or a web browser on Switch people online have told me it's a dumb and worthless idea because smartphones. Would be interesting to see how many people actually use the feature

I feel like blizzard but...don't people have smartphones? I really struggle with the idea of preferring the switch over most phones for youtube.

Switch has a bigger screen and a built in Kickstand which is pretty nice.
Also if you are, say, in bed playing something and then want to check out something on youtube it's nice being able to do it all with one device.
Also I have my Switch hooked up to an older 1080p Tv with no Smart Features so this gives me mobile youtube that's instantly transferable to the TV. To be honest I do have a Chromecast on that TV so it's not like I gained much but technically if they also released Netflix I wouldn't need it anymore

I mean, it's definitely not a must have feature. It's not like Switch sales will increase now that it has Youtube.
But it's a nice bonus

Last edited:

Mozza

But do the masses buy a phone because it comes with a 2k screen?,I doubt many couldn't care one way or the other.

Virex

Banned
YouTube on the Switch? "Why do you want YouTube on the Switch. Don't you all have mobile phones" -Blizzard(Probably)

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Meh, I never cared for any of these extra apps on my gaming systems, I actually like fact the menu in Switch is simple and fast so I can get to my games fast and smoothly.

The_Mike

I cry about SonyGaf from my chair in Redmond, WA
Maybe YouTube has lost many users after turning SJW on, so they became busy for a solution so they could get users from another market.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
This is cool. For people who don’t have a laptop or tablet, this is nice. Also, like someone said, if you can switch (lol) back and forth between Youtube tutorial and a game, that’d be handy. But, I don’t think the Switch allows multiple apps being open as yet.

I’ll be streaming the E3 press conferences on my Switch now instead of watching them on my phone.

Mr Hyde

Not being able to see comments is the best thing with these apps, since the comment section on Youtube is a cesspool I´d rather not step my foot in.

jshackles

Gentlemen, we can rebuild it. We have the capability to make the world's first enhanced store. Steam will be that store. Better than it was before.
Can you sign into Google on the Swtich Youtube app? I have premium, so loading this and getting ads would be less than ideal.

EDIT: just looked at the screenshots in OPs link and it looks you can, sweet!

Mr Hyde

It seems the wifi-signal on the Switch is pretty bad. When I´m in my bedroom, where I have the router, youtube works perfectly. But when I´m in my living room with the Switch docked, I can barely play a video. I also have other online issues, such as frequently getting kicked out from the server when I play Dark Souls Remastered. Gonna try placing my router in a better place. Or could it be that the signal from my PS4 interrupts the Switch?

Akuza89

I tried it last night in both portable mode and docked mode.

Docked mode works the same as any other version.

Portable mode would be so much better with some touch screen updates, I tried scrolling through the videos with my finger but all it did was select the last video my finger landed on.

So that needs work, so you don't have to use the joycons. However it's still good stuff.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
It seems the wifi-signal on the Switch is pretty bad. When I´m in my bedroom, where I have the router, youtube works perfectly. But when I´m in my living room with the Switch docked, I can barely play a video. I also have other online issues, such as frequently getting kicked out from the server when I play Dark Souls Remastered. Gonna try placing my router in a better place. Or could it be that the signal from my PS4 interrupts the Switch?
I’ve never had a problem with my Switch’s wifi. It works flawlessley all over the house and even in the backyard. Might be your router signal strength or interference as you say.

Mr Hyde

Might be your router signal strength or interference as you say.

Yeah, I tried changing the MTU but that didn´t help. I also read that microwaves or objects of metal could be interfering the signal. I have no issues with the online on my PS4 but Switch just will not cooperate. Damnit. Gonna try and rearrange my apartment. I wanna use the Switch as my primary console.

Scopa

The Tribe Has Spoken
Yeah, I tried changing the MTU but that didn´t help. I also read that microwaves or objects of metal could be interfering the signal. I have no issues with the online on my PS4 but Switch just will not cooperate. Damnit. Gonna try and rearrange my apartment. I wanna use the Switch as my primary console.
If it’s a possibility for you, you can use a Wii U ethernet adaptor for when your Switch is docked. I did and it works great. Or an official Switch ethernet adaptor.

ChuyMasta

It works well. I remember the Wii U version locking up sfter extended periods of time.

No issues so far on the switch even after watching season 3 of DBZ abridged

Fbh

Can you sign into Google on the Swtich Youtube app? I have premium, so loading this and getting ads would be less than ideal.

EDIT: just looked at the screenshots in OPs link and it looks you can, sweet!
Yeah you can.

You have to go to special page on your phone/computer, enter a 6 digit code that will appear on your Switch and then log in with your google account

JCK75

Because many people have kids, I'm not giving my 5 year old a phone but I will give him a switch.
Also when my son gets older I will get him a TV so his switch is not on my TV, would be nice to have more streaming services on it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom