• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hi-Fi Rush Leaker Claims Starfield And Redfall's Development Is In "Rough Shape" (Rumour)

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The more you played, the more likely it was to happen. It's related to Skyrim's object permanence.

Also the larger your save file got. But all of that was mostly fixed by the time Skyrims GoTY version launched on PS3.

I don't know what the problem in that vid is, but like many others I played Skyrim on PS3 for dozens of hours and it didn't run remotely as bad as that. It ran quite ok, in fact.
Did you finish it? It was fine for me, until about 60+ hours. But, then it became basically unplayable. The game was just doing too much trying to remember where every piece of trash was in the game and it overflowed the memory. Same thing happened with New Vegas.

Gorgon

Did you finish it? It was fine for me, until about 60+ hours. But, then it became basically unplayable. The game was just doing too much trying to remember where every piece of trash was in the game and it overflowed the memory. Same thing happened with New Vegas.

No, I played for somewhere between 40-60 hours, without much revisiting of locations. Probably helped with the issue.

No, I played for somewhere between 40-60 hours, without much revisiting of locations. Probably helped with the issue.
Yeah, there was definitely a point where it became painfully obvious the game's memory was broken. I was literally getting 5 fps by the end and was just painfully trying to finish the main quests. It sounds like you stopped just short of that tipping point.

Regardless of Starfield's release date, I will wait at least a year before playing it. I waited 2.5 years to play Cyberpunk 2077 and it was well worth it.

Phase

How much time do they need? Starfield’s been in development for 8 years now. Bethesda used to make HUGE games in a 2-3 year time frame. Like, what the hell is going on?
I'm convinced it's a talent/skill issue at this point. People can make excuses all they want about complexity, etc. but amazing and mechanically deep games were released in way less time in the past. And most big games now are surface level flash combined with things we've already seen before. Talent and creativity were sucked up into a black hole somewhere.

Gorgon

Yeah, there was definitely a point where it became painfully obvious the game's memory was broken. I was literally getting 5 fps by the end and was just painfully trying to finish the main quests. It sounds like you stopped just short of that tipping point.

Lucky me :messenger_grinning_sweat: My PS3 broke down at the right moment. After replacing the lasers on the disc reader three weeks later, I lost interest in the game.

dotnotbot

Also the larger your save file got. But all of that was mostly fixed by the time Skyrims GoTY version launched on PS3.

Unfortunately Skyrim on PS3 was never truly fixed. I played with all the patches they have ever released installed and still had many weird issues and in general pretty bad performance with constant (light but annying) stutters and freezing. My experience seems to be worse than the average player's though, some people say it runs bad, many say it's ok so my guess is that sometimes your save file might become bugged or corrupted and then it leads to more issues. After crossing 100hrs mark it became a shitshow.

Last edited:

Arun1910

How much time do they need? Starfield’s been in development for 8 years now. Bethesda used to make HUGE games in a 2-3 year time frame. Like, what the hell is going on?

Development doesn't mean coding, that's why.

It includes time for concepts, proof of concepts, story drafts etc etc etc.

My guess is that there was a lot of pre production stuff before coding starting for the actual game.

Fredrik

Let's pray for Starfield, because that game I really wanna play on PC.
I’ll pray that it gets a delay if that’s what it needs. I don’t know how I would take it if they mess up the PC port. All I wish for is a nice space RPG with some solid role-playing and rewarding exploration. Bonus points if they can go for DLSS and achieve 60+ fps maxed out on a 4090. Is that too much to ask for? I hope not.

IFireflyl

Gold Member

I had a trash cave that mostly resolved this for me. Every time I needed to throw stuff away, I traveled to my trash cave and dumped everything in there. It got to the point that my FPS was in single-digits, but I only had issues when I would go back to that cave to dump more crap. The mod to give merchants more money became helpful because then you could just sell your stuff instead of traveling to a trash cave.

P.S. I love saying "trash cave". It sounds right and wrong all at the same time. Trash cave.

th4tguy

I don't know what the problem in that vid is, but like many others I played Skyrim on PS3 for dozens of hours and it didn't run remotely as bad as that. It ran quite ok, in fact.
There is a memory leak in Skyrim on PS3. The longer you play, the worst it gets. It's not something that is fixed by restarting the system either. It's due to save states and I believe it was improved but never truly fixed.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
Development doesn't mean coding, that's why.

It includes time for concepts, proof of concepts, story drafts etc etc etc.

My guess is that there was a lot of pre production stuff before coding starting for the actual game.
Man, at this point the ONLY explanation for this dev time is that Bethesda was way to ambitious for this project and had to scrap a lot of thing and/or restart a couple of times along the way.

Carmack was right. Hardware limitations were a good thing. It kept devs in check. Now every one with a AAA budget thinks he can make Jesus’ 2nd coming. No, you can’t Todd. It’s just going to be another Bethesda video game.

ReBurn

Gold Member
Launching at 30 fps is NOT an issue at all! Especially on consoles. Even a little gank will be okay in Starfield. As long as the core game is good, that game will be fine. The same doesn't look the same with Redfall. That game just doesn't look that good.
I don't disagree. Floaty gun shooty games really need 60 FPS to feel right. From what I read on GamesRadar Redfall has been in development for 5 years or so. They should have been first in line for Series dev kits. It seems like the priority should have been 60 FPS for Redfall out of the gate and scale back on whatever prevents that but obviously it wasn't. This game better be 30 FPS locked at least.

Otre

Banned
Starfield will launch at 30fps and with common drops to 15fps like Fallout 4 did last time and console people will not give a fuck. Todd will keep swimming in that moolah. A 900p performance mode will increase fps to 38 and go up to 52 when looking at the sky.

PC version will be worse than Jedi Survivor.

Last edited:

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
Starfield will launch at 30fps and with common drops to 15fps like Fallout 4 did last time and console people will not give a fuck. Todd will keep swimming in that moolah. A 900p performance mode will increase fps to 38 and go up to 52 when looking at the sky.

PC version will be worse than Jedi Survivor.
Sounds like the perfect Bethesda game. Sign me up!

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Starfield is the only thing I have remote interest with Xbox maybe outside of Forza Horizon. And I'm not too optimistic about it either based on their track record as of recent and Microsoft's publisher track record.

I don't think anyone is expecting a bug-free Starfield at launch. No Bethesda game ever launched in anything close to "perfect", but there's a difference between v1.00 Skyrim and v1.00 CP 2077. If they need a year of patches to make it an OK experience, than that is a failed launch.

Top Bottom