• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Gem Hunt-- New games that aren't very popular

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
There are a lot of good games coming out, but I think some games are not talked about enough. This thread can turn into a nice hidden gem hunt if everyone share beautiful games that have been released recently. You can think of this as an incentive for the creation of new "OT"'s(which takes time and dedication), not as a replacement for "OT"'s.

The first game I want to share is "Lil Gators Game". It was released for both Steam and Switch on December 14th. If you liked Short Hike, if you liked gliding and climbing in Legend of Zelda: BOTW, you will have a good time in this one. It's a very good 3d platform game, especially for kids.

Metacritic page

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
I'm sure this wont be popular among most gamers, I dont even expect most mainstream reviewers cover this game but I'm beyond hype for this.
5bf4c63845d38770c2850326c9672cea1649929297_main.jpg

nikos

I was actually going to post Lil Gator Game when I saw the thread. The Switch port is really good, 60 FPS with good options for camera/controls.

I haven't played The Knight Witch yet, but it's on my list. Demo was a lot of fun.
Played Soccer Story for a bit and it's off to a really nice start. It's on Game Pass.

Last edited:

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
There are a lot of good games coming out, but I think some games are not talked about enough. This thread can turn into a nice hidden gem hunt if everyone share beautiful games that have been released recently. You can think of this as an incentive for the creation of new "OT"'s(which takes time and dedication), not as a replacement for "OT"'s.

The first game I want to share is "Lil Gators Game". It was released for both Steam and Switch on December 14th. If you liked Short Hike, if you liked gliding and climbing in Legend of Zelda: BOTW, you will have a good time in this one. It's a very good 3d platform game, especially for kids.

Metacritic page

I played the demo and enjoyed it. I had no clue it was out now.

F31 Leopard

I was pretty surprised by this game. I picked up the import version a couple months ago after playing the demo. NA releases on Dec 29. I'll probably pick up also just to support this game.

Bragr

Banned
We are on the same wavelength.

I like to dig into what has come out towards the end of the year just for no reason really, trying to find out what exactly is worth paying attention to.

The problem is that a lot of these games are mediocre with a few vocal fans who scream their praise, so you really gotta try them. I have found a bunch, and I'm gonna try to shorten it down to the 40 best gems or something, and post it next week or so.

chris121580

I’ve been playing Wavetale. It just came out yesterday. I’m loving it. Beautiful platformer that controls incredibly well and has a heart warming story. I have the steam version but read it runs well on the switch too:

ChoosableOne

ChoosableAll
MUST PLAY

Also on GamePass

Yeah, it is a good game. It also has similar aspects to the "Katamari Damacy" formula. Fun for kids too.

I decided to buy this. It's still in early access but looks like a fun game. Thanks.
Disc Room

One of the hardest games I've ever played. It's even harder than Dark Souls 3. I passed 2 levels and got stuck:messenger_grinning:
When you forgot to give Sonic his bait.

I like to share two more games;

1- The Case of the Golden Idol

Second best game I've played in 2022(the first one is "Elden Ring" of course). Check it out if you like point and click adventures and Return of The Obra Dinn.

2- Shatterline

It's a free, well crafted COD clone(plus a PVE mode and a Payload mode).

anthony2690

Banned
Hot Wheels Unleashed, I genuinely loved it. :)

Was a little annoying to see people that haven't even played it, bash it in the Forza hot wheels thread.

Just because your fave company has a hot wheels Collab, doesn't mean you can't enjoy both. (I wish people would realise this, not everything is competing)

daveonezero

Banned
I’ve been playing the Apple Arcade Mistwalker game Fantasian on an iPad.

Is a very well done jrpg and I heard about it when it release and I don’t think anyone played it because of the Arcade exclusive.

U8WZ2GI.jpg

More ppl need to try Session. It takes the concept of doing tricks via the analog sticks that Skate had, but expands upon it. Instead of just the right stick representing the board, each analog stick represents your foot. Its a lil janky. There's no multiplayer and not much of a campaign. And the tricks are relegated to street skating and not so much vert. Its made by a handful of ppl, and imo has great skating gameplay and a very addicting loop of just finding a spot you like and coming up with a trick you want to land. And just keep trying to land that trick until you do

Last edited:

SJRB

Gold Member

iu

The elevator pitch for this would be: isometric Escape from Tarkov meets STALKER. Procedurally generated wasteland with random loot. If you die in the zone, everything you found will be left in the zone. So the stakes are high. Deep weapon customization, quests, bosses, ballistics models, the whole shebang.

The pixel art might put some people off but the gameplay is dope. I've put 50 hours into this over the last 3 weeks. It's difficult but not brutally punishing like Tarkov. If you die, you don't lose gear you bring into the raid, but you will lose everything you found during the raid.

I have not played this yet, but it’s been termed Half-Life x STALKER so it’s got my attention.

I’d say Hardspace Shipbreaker is my non-mainstream favorite of the year.

Maiden Voyage

Gold™ Member
U8WZ2GI.jpg

More ppl need to try Session. It takes the concept of doing tricks via the analog sticks that Skate had, but expands upon it. Instead of just the right stick representing the board, each analog stick represents your foot. It’s a lil janky. There's no multiplayer and not much of a campaign. And the tricks are relegated to street skating and not so much vert. It’s made by a handful of ppl, and imo has great skating gameplay and a very addicting loop of just finding a spot you like and coming up with a trick you want to land. And just keep trying to land that trick until you do
New devblog came out for the Jan update. I debated updating the OT. Maybe I’ll post again when it drops.

Top Bottom