• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(*Hidden gem*) Not many people know that "Shaolin vs Wutang" was released for Xbox!

If you like old kung fu movies, whether from Shaw Brothers or Golden Harvest, you should buy this game now!

Fjcjlwb.jpg

For more hardcores players, it is simple, but it is still fun! The most important thing is the fidelity and love that the game was made of, with icons from the 70's / 80's kung fu films and not only that, we have American and Japanese martial arts films icons too!

There are 30 characters and 30 incredible scenarios with beautiful graphics and licensed music. it is a journey through time.

pBgTJ6N.jpg

I didn't develop the game, and I don't know anyone involved, but me being an indie game creator and programmer, what this guy did was unbelievable. I had to make this thread! All the characters and animations modeled faithfully compose their styles in the films ... It seems that he paused scene by scene of the films to catch the movements.

7HVg3cd.jpg

You will see ip man, Van-Damme, Bolo Young, Chuck Norris, all types of shaolin styles from kung fu cinema, 8 diagrams, Pai Mei, Jackie Chan, Jet li, Bruce lee etc, etc, etc ... Instead of their names, u have the Kung Fu style names, for obvious reasons ... But they were definitely modeled on the actors!

E84revf.jpg

-The gameplay consists of 4 buttons: punch, kick, weapon, dash.
-You can mix the three attack buttons to create dial-up combos! putting it forward or backwards you create even more possibilities for combos!
-Each of the three attacks has special commands (hcf or hcb) that can be canceled with dial-ups.
-The supers can be performed with the super full bar by pressing (punch + kick) or breaking any combo you are carrying (weapon + kick)

That's what I wanted to say, a magnificent game with a fair price (13.99usd), worth every penny! Congratulations to the creator of "Shaolin vs Wutang", he deserves it!

As an old Kung Fu movies lover, that game was a love letter to me! <3

Link to buy for Xbox;

Last edited:

GrayFoxPL

Yeah, cool game!

Was waiting for it on ps store, but no show. I was wondering if it was becose of multiple known charters and filing lawsuits.

I had this when it first launched on steam. Its a fun little game if you're a huge fan of Kung fu flicks like I was as a kid, but thats it lol

Yeah, it's a great game if you're a fan of martial arts movies. About the sequel, is it any good?
At the moment is basically the same, but now with more than 1 outfit, more strings, new scenarios...but only 20 chars and 20 stages.

It's basically the same with a few twists.

Last edited:

Dirk Benedict

Gold Member
Whoa. I like how they used the likeness to many infamous Kung Fu Flix actors/characters and used their style as their moniker to avoid legal problems.
For example, Snake First = The Snake, Five Deadly Venoms, Pai Wei.

I want to check this out, later.

Last edited:
Whoa. I like how they used the likeness to many infamous Kung Fu Flix actors/characters and used their style as their moniker to avoid legal problems.
For example, Snake First = The Snake, Five Deadly Venoms, Pai Wei.

I want to check this out, later

Exactly! Cool u had interest! :)

Came in expecting Wu-Tang on some Def Jam shit.

Disappointed How Could You GIF
This game for 13.99 bucks, it's a steal. 30 chars, 30 stages, tons of modes, decent graphics and gameplay...

Imagine the creator with big budget, Tekken like motion capture and a huge team... omg...!

Bo_Hazem

Banned
If you like old kung fu movies, whether from Shaw Brothers or Golden Harvest, you should buy this game now!

Fjcjlwb.jpg

For more hardcores players, it is simple, but it is still fun! The most important thing is the fidelity and love that the game was made of, with icons from the 70's / 80's kung fu films and not only that, we have American and Japanese martial arts films icons too!

There are 30 characters and 30 incredible scenarios with beautiful graphics and licensed music. it is a journey through time.

pBgTJ6N.jpg

I didn't develop the game, and I don't know anyone involved, but me being an indie game creator and programmer, what this guy did was unbelievable. I had to make this thread! All the characters and animations modeled faithfully compose their styles in the films ... It seems that he paused scene by scene of the films to catch the movements.

7HVg3cd.jpg

You will see ip man, Van-Damme, Bolo Young, Chuck Norris, all types of shaolin styles from kung fu cinema, 8 diagrams, Pai Mei, Jackie Chan, Jet li, Bruce lee etc, etc, etc ... Instead of their names, u have the Kung Fu style names, for obvious reasons ... But they were definitely modeled on the actors!

E84revf.jpg

-The gameplay consists of 4 buttons: punch, kick, weapon, dash.
-You can mix the three attack buttons to create dial-up combos! putting it forward or backwards you create even more possibilities for combos!
-Each of the three attacks has special commands (hcf or hcb) that can be canceled with dial-ups.
-The supers can be performed with the super full bar by pressing (punch + kick) or breaking any combo you are carrying (weapon + kick)

That's what I wanted to say, a magnificent game with a fair price (13.99usd), worth every penny! Congratulations to the creator of "Shaolin vs Wutang", he deserves it!

As an old Kung Fu movies lover, that game was a love letter to me! <3

Link to buy for Xbox;

Wow, it's been released in 2016, but never heard of it. This is the best 1vs1 fighting game I've seen in recent years, although animations can be improved in later sequels for the better as some few of them look rough. Not a fan of 1vs1 fighters anymore but might grab it on PC.

Impressive game indeed and got high scores as well.

Last edited:

Stuart360

I actually bought this in 2016 based on this 'Early Access' trailer -

As a fan of old kung fu movies, this trailer kind of knocked me for six lol.
The majority of the game was all made by one guy too. He also contaced the likes of Golden Harvest and asked if he could use music and sound effects from their films for his game, and they said yes! (as they should as they stole music for a lot of films back then lol).
If you notice as well, it looks like some punches and kicks miss at times, and the punch sound effects dont always match what you are seeing. That was all done on purpose for that authentic look and feel!.

One thing i will say is that the gameplay takes a while to get used to, it doesnt play like most fighters, and doesnt have the depth (it is one dev afterall), but itscertainly fun to play.

I actually bought this in 2016 based on this 'Early Access' trailer -

As a fan of old kung fu movies, this trailer kind of knocked me for six lol.
The majority of the game was all made by one guy too. He also contaced the likes of Golden Harvest and asked if he could use music and sound effects from their films for his game, and they said yes! (as they should as they stole music for a lot of films back then lol).
If you notice as well, it looks like some punches and kicks miss at times, and the punch sound effects dont always match what you are seeing. That was all done on purpose for that authentic look and feel!.

One thing i will say is that the gameplay takes a while to get used to, it doesnt play like most fighters, and doesnt have the depth (it is one dev afterall), but itscertainly fun to play.

Your comment contributed a lot to the topic, thanks!

GIF by MOODMAN

Top Bottom