• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hidden Gems and Under-The-Radar Recommendations - Steam Winter Sale 2016

Naeval

I think no one has told nothing about Insanity's Blade. It is a really recommended game in the same vein than some old Turbo Grafx / Neo Geo classics:

ss_c07672fe7358df7c50f4b10712c1318187540913.600x338.jpg

Syril

Any good action platformer suggestions? I'm approaching the end of Pharaoh Rebirth+ now and ready for more. I already have most of the related games I can think of like Momodora, Valdis Story, Cave Story, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc. Rabi Ribi looked interesting, but I'm really not into bullet hell. I'll probably just go for Axoim Verge if I can't find anything else.

Any good action platformer suggestions? I'm approaching the end of Pharaoh Rebirth+ now and ready for more. I already have most of the related games I can think of like Momodora, Valdis Story, Cave Story, Ori and the Blind Forest, etc. Rabi Ribi looked interesting, but I'm really not into bullet hell. I'll probably just go for Axoim Verge if I can't find anything else.
Environmental Station Alpha
Rex Rocket
Odallus and Oniken

Syril

I still think Axiom Verge is the better choice.
Well at the very least Environmental Station Alpha has a demo so i don't have to choose yet. Rex Rocket looks a bit more masochistic than I usually like but at $1.25 it's not much of a risk anyway. I played Odallus before but couldn't get into it. Something about the controls felt off to me but I can't really say what.

epmode

If you have even a passing interest in traditional visual novels, The House in Fata Morgana is excellent (even though the Steam page doesn't make it look particularly impressive). It's a 30+ hour game that absolutely pays off by the end.

It took me about two hours to get used to its style though. I wasn't sure I'd like it until I started the second chapter.
header.jpg

Pharaoh Rebirth+
I had never even heard of this game outside of a write-up on Hardcore Gaming 101. It's an action platformer that's divided into levels but each level seems to be a small metroidvania. Apparently it was originally released in Japan episodically.

Hey, this looks good. Is it good?

01.) IMSCARED
I don't know why this particular title has stuck with me so much this year. It's a pixely 3D horror game where you need to get all the achievements to win, and solve cryptic puzzles in a strange world. The antagonist is interesting, and the game has some fun twists and turns. But something about it has made it truly special to me. Maybe I just had an amazing unique experience, or something about it spoke to me personally. It did scare me a few times, yet I find it absolutely charming. I played a lot of clever things this year, but I enjoyed its cleverness the most. And something about its morbid world speaks to me. Anyway, I thought it was the best thing I played this year in what was a great year for horror and creativity in general.

OFF-TOPIC (because it's not on Steam): If you haven't already played it, I feel like you'd be interested in Anatomy. This is the review that sold me on it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j92V4RqnoIY

Adnor

Banned
For people that like Roguelikes I recommend Caves of Qud and Dungeonmans

Dungeonmans is a more simple roguelike similar to Tales of Maj'Eyal, with great animations and sense of humor. It has permanent progression for people who like that kind of stuff in the form of the Dungeonmans Academy, which you level up obtaining treasure, making your next characters more powerful.

Caves of Qud is another beast completely, made by the creators of super-cute Sproggiwood is one of the most complex roguelikes out there right now. It happens in a post-apocalyptic setting similar maybe to RPG Gammaworld. Your character can be a pure-human or, more fun, a crazy mutant. It's still on early access and right now it doesn't have music (and it really need some), but the main campaign is done and they update the game every week, the only times I've seen them skip a week is because they're making a really big update and needed an extra week.

It's also one of the prettiest roguelikes I've ever seen.

OICJjMR.png

Marow

Hey, this looks good. Is it good?
It's one of my favorite games of the year. The only negative things I can think of are: one of the levels is a bit more miss than hit, the dead zones on a 360 pad seems a bit wonky (at least for me! my character sometimes moved left, though it was never an issue at all) and the fact there's a single missable item from the very prologue.

The last thing is a dumb thing in an otherwise amazing game, so I recommend just hitting up one of the guides on Steam to look which item it is if you're interested in going for 100% (which was otherwise really, really fun!).

Caves of Qud is another beast completely, made by the creators of super-cute Sproggiwood is one of the most complex roguelikes out there right now. It happens in a post-apocalyptic setting similar maybe to RPG Gammaworld. Your character can be a pure-human or, more fun, a crazy mutant. It's still on early access and right now it doesn't have music (and it really need some), but the main campaign is done and they update the game every week, the only times I've seen them skip a week is because they're making a really big update and needed an extra week.

It's also one of the prettiest roguelikes I've ever seen.

OICJjMR.png
Got to agree with this. This game is insane. The setting and world-building is amazing. The sheer variation in builds is incredible. The depth of your interactions with the world never ceases to impress

Adnor

Banned
Got to agree with this. This game is insane. The setting and world-building is amazing. The sheer variation in builds is incredible. The depth of your interactions with the world never ceases to impress

I think this post by Angry Diplomat in the Something Awful forums is the best description of how crazy is the game:

Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT PLANTS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT ANIMALS. Get killed by ANGRY MUTANT BUGS. Kill a bear and EAT IT, just EAT AN ENTIRE BEAR. KILL EVERYTHING. Descend into the DEPTHS OF THE WORLD and retrieve ANCIENT TECHNOLOGICAL ARTIFACTS. KNIFE-FIGHT a GIANT DRILL ROBOT and WIN. Be a COOL WASTELAND KNIGHT. Be a TWO-FISTED COWBOY. Be a HOMICIDAL NINJA TURTLE with an AXE and a SHOTGUN. SPONTANEOUSLY BURST INTO FLAMES. Get into a GUNFIGHT with a HYENA-MONSTER and accidentally anger a HERD OF MAJESTIC HULKING DEMON HORSES with your crossfire. Fly into the air like a BEAUTIFUL EAGLE and then SWORD-FIGHT a GIANT DRAGONFLY. MIND CONTROL a TWO-HEADED BOAR and MAKE IT WEAR CHAIN MAIL and KILL YOUR ENEMIES. Encounter a LEGENDARY PLANT with an INTIMIDATING SKULL MASK and the ability to THROW FIERY DEATH FROM ITS HANDS. CONTRACT HORRIFYING DISEASES. Go to THE DEATHLANDS and discover that THE DEATHLANDS are called THE DEATHLANDS because they will KILL YOU DEAD. HACK OFF A ROBOT’S HEAD AND EAT IT. Get into a SLEDGEHAMMER DUEL with a ‘ROIDED-OUT SUPERCANNIBAL. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY ILLITERATE that you BREAK A BOX OF CRAYONS attempting to figure out what it is. Be SO TECHNOLOGICALLY GIFTED that you can make an ACID GRENADE out of a PLASTIC TREE and a FOLDING CHAIR. Build your own FLAMETHROWER. Build your own LASER GUN. Build your own HANDHELD NUCLEAR BOMB and BLOW YOURSELF UP WITH IT. Collect MAGMA in a CANTEEN. Pour MAGMA into a pool of ACID to see what happens. DRINK MAGMA. TELEPATHICALLY LOCATE an enemy and HATE IT TO DEATH with your TERRIFYING BRAIN SORCERY. Have your LEGS CUT OFF and then REGROW YOUR LEGS and pick up your previous legs and EAT YOUR OWN LEGS. Encounter your EVIL TWIN and then summon six of your own GOOD TWINS to fight your evil twin’s SIX EVIL TWIN TWINS in a FOURTEEN-WAY PSYCHIC LASER DEATH RAVE and then BURN TO DEATH when all of the combined PYROKINETIC MIND FIRE from all of the TIME CLONES causes the ENTIRE MAP TO COMBUST AND MELT.

Odrion

Banned
*sigh* I should really save the ones I do for this. Feel like I just waste a lot of time typing these up a lot. Alright, lessee...I was going to do an LTTP or thread for Our Darker Purpose but instead let's go with this.

trillion-god-of-destruction-ps-vita-north-america-europe-2016-2.jpg

Trillion: God of Destruction - Yours for Just $8.99!!! Regularly $29.99!!!

So, what is Trillion: God of Destruction?

Trillion is a story about the Zeabolos, Supreme Overlord of the (an) Underworld, a super powerful and strong Overlord who rules his realm with a tight fist!...until a giant beast known as Trillion attacks and basically kills the shit out of him. Zeabolos wakes up thanks to the help of a mysterious stranger named Faust who says that she is keeping him alive so he may defeat Trillion and take his soul later. One problem: due to being killed to shit, he's basically powerless and has no real ability to fight against it. So how can he fight back? Well, using PLOT (which I won't get into, I actually kinda forget how he can do this) he can start transferring his unusable power into one of his seven sub-Overlords to use, letting them train and power up and test their skills so he can send them into battle!

...to eventually die. Because they will. You will continuously spend your entire time in this game spending hours developing a character, growing attached to them and seeing them bloom only to knowingly send them to die to whittle down a beast with 1 Trillion HP (that's where the name comes from).

Now, that's simplifying the plot a lot. There a significant number of twists, turns and developments that lead this to be a fully fleshed out and explored plot. This isn't some barebones claptrap.

But what is Trillion?

Trillion is a time-management SIM with SRPG/light dungeon crawling elements all in a visual novel package. Here's your basic run down.

You choose which of your Overlords you want to train with. From there, you have a certain number of days until Trillion awakens and you have to do battle with it. These days are spent training to give you points to spend on leveling up or learning new skills/passives, time to go through a single turn-based dungeon floor to fight enemies for experience and items, resting to make sure your Overlord isn't tired and hurts themself or does shitty in training, buying and researching new items in the shop or forging their weapon/equipping different trinkets or sometimes just spending time with your Overlord and strengthening your bond with them. Giving them gifts, making them fight against a dummy of Trillion to practice. During all this time, some random and some scripted events occur that you can make choices during that may bring you closer or reveal information about the plot, it's characters or the Overlords you're training. All this time spent with your Overlord will give you Affection Points which are basically an enormous buffer that you use before HP and MP before attacks and skills start pulling from those two stats. Now, once the countdown finishes and you're ready to fight Trillion, what do you do?

Why, you send your Overlord off to die of course.

Up above is an idea of what the combat in this game is like. Get used to seeing that sight because other than the small procedural floors of the training dungeon, this is the only battle in the game. That's right, the game consists of a single boss battle with an enemy who has One Trillion HP. Oh boy. So, how do we roll up in this?

Battles take place in a familiar grid, in a style that DRPG and Wizardry players should find familiar (as well as those who play Pokemon Mystery Dungeon or Shiren the Wanderer and those styles of games); move one square, enemies move. One player action = one enemy action. Pretty simple stuff. So here's the rub and the main strategy of the game, where the combat really shines.

Trillion does not attack instantly. Whenever Trillion begins an attack, it will show on the grid where he will be attacking with a rough indicator as to how many turns the attack will go off in. Likewise, in the battle log it will specifically tell you how many turns it will take, counting down every turn to keep you aware. If even THAT wasn't enough, you have a nice little mini-map which gives you an overview of the attack spaces and colors so you don't get lost. Now, Trillion isn't just going to shoot off one attack in 7 turns and let you wail on him in the meantime. It will regularly lay down attack after attack with different turn countdowns and stack them to go off at different times, summon enemies who can attack you from afar or lock you down into a square, summon miasma to make certain squares deal damage if you enter or stay on them, move it's position, cancel attacks and use other ones, and much more to make life positively dreadful for you. What makes this so challenging and fun and rewarding is that movement and strategy are fucking KEY to this game. You need to plan out your movements in advance, make sure you can avoid attacks that may drop in 3, 4 and 6 turns, kill the enemies that are plinking away at your health and try and deal as much damage to Trillion as you can.

So let's say you're doing great, dealing...uh...decent, I guess, damage to Trillion, bobbing and weaving to and fro and then...

And then you get hit. And you blink, because you're not sure if you messed up somewhere or if you got hit by more than one attack or what happened. But you didn't miss anything; Trillion hit your Overlord with one of it's random, myriad attacks that it probably wasn't even paying attention to and took away all your Affection Points and dropped you from 80,000 life to 14. Hrm. Well that's...well, okay. Just make sure you don't get hit again and...oh, shit you ran out of MP and can't use your abilities to bounce out of attack zones anymore. Guess you can't do much except...

Well, you lose. Your Overlord, in her desperate attempt to stop Trillion from destroying anymore gets to use a death attack. This Death Attack can take a number of forms; you can choose to deal a fuckton of damage, you can choose to knock Trillion out for longer so that your next Overlord has more time to train, you can choose to seal a body part so that Trillion can no longer use attacks that use that body part, and other...uh...less useful ones since those are the three I used...

And then your Overlord dies. Bad. Like...really bad. Like, the death scenes in this game are rough. Do not expect to have them some RA RA I DIED FOR LOVE speech...expect them to cry, wail and whimper, beg not to die and lament that they didn't have more time.

And then you get to do it all over again with a new Overlord! OH BOY!

So, you've heard all that hand-jive above. But that's just a nice summation of what this game's all about. So why, more in depth, should you buy it?

1. Well-written Character Development

I'm serious in that the Overlords you train are a real strength of the game. All of them have a Deadly Sin associated with them that directs a lot of their personality so as they start out they are fairly one-dimensional anime tropes. But then you spend time with them. You see them react to fucking up in training. You hear them open up to you slowly, little by little, during the week. You invest SO MUCH time in making them stronger. You are right alongside them the entire time and when you send them off your heart goes with them. Even the less developed or explored Overlords get you to like them by the end. They become more than the sum of their parts and are given a lot of time to grow with you through all the VN interactions and story. Also, I'm totally lame and think the character designs in this game are awesome looking.

2. This Game Will Make You Feel Like Shit

When one of your Overlord dies you will feel loss like very few games make you feel. I can't accurately explain this, and am trying to think of a comparable game that just makes you feel like a total shitbag. I guess it's similar to how if you play XCom you get attached to this Veteran who has seen you through 30 missions, headshotted a Chrysalid when he was the last man on the map to survive, lead your troops into victory against overwhelming odds, and then gets lucky critted and killed instantly by a Thin Man you didn't see that flanked him from cover. Except pretend that in addition to all the emergent storytelling that you invested into the game, there were also scenes where you learned about his kids at home, how his wife died when she miscarried and all your two older boys want is for mommy to be back for Christmas.

I knew going into this game that I'd die a lot so I chose the Overlord I thought looked the least interesting so I could have that one die and then use my other Overlord to win off of her dead back. Then I got to know her. She told me about her father, who she missed dearly (and was my brother and killed in Trillion's first attack). About how she was worried about making him and me proud. I found her crying at her dad's grave. I gave her a grand feast (since she was the Sin of Gluttony) and spent time eating with her. And then I sent her off to die. I made her struggle, in vain, to do as much damage as I could to Trillion and watched as her AP and MP slowly drained down until I couldn't do anything to stop Trillion from one-shotting me.

And then I watched her get eaten. Slowly. As she cried for her dead dad.

And I had to do this again. And again. And again. And again. And again.

I have never in a game before felt as horrible as I did every time this happened. It was a wholly unique experience I will not forget.

3. The SRPG battles are pretty fun

I should just say "Battle" since it's just against Trillion. But man, because it's only one fight for the whole game they really focused on making it as tight an experience as possible. The abilities and movement, the timing of Trillion's attacks are designed very well so that the game never pulls out something unfair or bullshit. You're always supposed to be on the back of your heels, kept off balance and always worried about fucking up, which can happen easily if you get too rushed or confident. I never died due to some cheap attack or situation I did not put myself in. All his moves are telegraphed a number of turns in advance with their exact locations outlined for you. It all comes down to planning and making sure you're in the right place at the right time and maximizing your abilities and items.

Strategy strategy strategy is the name of the game here. And not to be spoilery but Trillion has HP thresholds where it will change up it's attacks and strategies so it's not just the same battle forever; it will regularly change. Different Overlords likewise have different things they're good at and since you don't have infinite points you have to choose wisely what skills and stats you buy for your Overlord to maximize their ability to avoid and deal damage.

4. Trillion is a Fuck

You are going to haaaaaaaaaaaaate Trillion. As the only enemy in the game, they do everything to make Trillion the most scary, overwhelming monster you've ever seen. The words they use to describe Trillion and the actions that it takes in cutscenes and story parts are just terrifying. How terribly it kills people. How insanely monstrous it is. You fight it and you hit it once for the first time and see IT HAS A TRILLION FUCKING LIFE. It catches you with an errant swing of it's tail and you go from 400,000 Affection Points to 0 and your HP sits at a healthy 2 from ONE HIT and you just whistle and go "Jeeeeeeeeeeeesus" It will kill your favorite characters left and right in really drastic and horrible ways. Every time an Overlord dies the game actually shows you Trillion's progress through your Underworld, just how much of it you failed to protect as it rampaged and ate EVERYTHING in it's way and leaves behind literally NOTHING. And the more and more that is revealed about Trillion the stronger your resolution to fucking kill it becomes. It is truly an effective enemy.

That's...about all I can muster to type at this moment. Maybe I'll save this for a LTTP or something but honestly, for 9 bucks? This game is totally worth it.
This post got me to buy the game. Know that, author.

jimboton

You can't go wrong with Axiom Verge, it's the best Metroid-like on Steam. You may also like Guacamelee, Salt & Sanctuary and Dust: An Elysian Tail. Volgarr the Viking and Shovel Knight too but those are not metroidvanias.

Marow

Kero Blaster. It's by the same person as Cave Story. There's even two free short spinoffs/demos called Pink Hour and Pink Heaven if you want to try the mechanics. Kero Blaster is super, though.

Can someone give me some recommendations on a game, hidden gem or not (but I do love me some hidden gems!) that I can play co-op with my friends? Requirements are:

1) Has to be on-line co-op, couch doesn't do as any good some are in different cities.

2) Not something that has leveling up / quests that can impact that gameplay... I don't want a situation where 1-2 people can't play for a while (frequent with our group) and the others pull far ahead.

3) Genre doesn't strictly matter, but with the criteria I am imagining something like Bit Dungeon, Enter the Gungeon, etc, but with on-line.

4) Hopefully a cheap enough price that I can gift 3-4 copies if my friends can't be talking into buying it themselves ;)

Can someone give me some recommendations on a game, hidden gem or not (but I do love me some hidden gems!) that I can play co-op with my friends? Requirements are:

1) Has to be on-line co-op, couch doesn't do as any good some are in different cities.

2) Not something that has leveling up / quests that can impact that gameplay... I don't want a situation where 1-2 people can't play for a while (frequent with our group) and the others pull far ahead.

3) Genre doesn't strictly matter, but with the criteria I am imagining something like Bit Dungeon, Enter the Gungeon, etc, but with on-line.

4) Hopefully a cheap enough price that I can gift 3-4 copies if my friends can't be talking into buying it themselves ;)
You've played Helldivers? If not, you need to play Helldivers

Picked up these so far, all under 99p and most mentioned in here already...

Aces Wild: Manic Brawling Action
Bullet Candy
Death Goat
Space Moth DX
Super Button Soccer

Deadnaut - $4.99 (50% off)
From the limited perspective of commander console, you must guide and manage your squad as they navigate derelict ships where horrors lurk.

Did you manage to stick with it, MB? Gave it a spin a year ago and found it a bit inscrutable, even though the setting sounded quite promissing.

I see that the studio developed the concept further with Fear Equation, but it seems even more impenetrable.

Broforce meets most of your criteria.
The game allows for online co-op but I haven't tested it (so I don't know if it works well).

nynt9

Sorta, but it had an end.

Edit:Maybe "open-world Ys" isn't really the term. More like "Like Enter the Gungeon with swords".

Rogue Legacy or Necropolis? Roguelike sword based combat games. Rogue Legacy is a platformer, Necropolis is a Souls clone.

Ladekabel

Rogue Legacy or Necropolis? Roguelike sword based combat games. Rogue Legacy is a platformer, Necropolis is a Souls clone.

I played a bit of Rogue Legacy on my Vita at some time. Wasn't really my cup of tea. Necropolis is too 3D for the game I'm searching.

I'm really picky and hard to please on this one.

Nibiru

Banned
Only 25% off but Kingdom Rush Frontiers is a really good buy imo. You get all the heroes with the Steam version no microtrans.

I have posted most of these before in a previous hidden gem thread, but I want to reiterate them, especially Valdis Story which is a great metroidvania that does not get enough love.

EDIT:Valdis Story is not on sale. Weird. I love the game anyway. probably worth $15 but you should put it on your wishlist if you are not sure.

header.jpg

I love Transistor. Beautiful design, beautiful story, just a fantastic game all around.

header.jpg

Anodyne is a great 2d Zelda like with a colorful style and some unusual gameplay elements. Definitely worth 3$ for short retro-style romp with some surrealist/deconstructivist elements.

header.jpg

I can't recommend Valdis Story enough. It's a completely underrated "metroidvania" great combat, great exploration. The combat is smooth and clean with a great combo system. There are 4 playable characters who each have very different fighting styles and on top of that each character has different weapon loadouts that iterate further on those mechanical differences. Add in a great leveling and spell system and you have a true classic!

header.jpg

And Yet it Moves is a beautifful and mindbending puzzle platformer where you rotate the screen to alter gravity. at $2.50 it will fill some time and expand your mind. Nice papercraft-style graphics as well.

header.jpg

The Swapper: Why is this game only $3? It's another papercraft-style puzzle platformer with a unique sotry and good sci-fi writing. Rare in a game. The puzzles are fun and hard enough to make you scratch your head but not so hard as to ruin your day. Be wary if you demand all achievements, This game takes at least 2 playthroughs to unlock all its cheevos as I recall.

header.jpg

A great dungeon crawler 8-bit style game blending zelda with diablo. Another way to put it would be bullet hell elements with gauntlet style gameplay. It's best to play in a group online or local for co-op. Pick this up if you have friends you need to find a new game to try with.

header.jpg

Rogue Legacy is just genuinely fun. Sidescroller style gameplay, Castle of the Winds meets wonderboy. I have played 40+ hours and I still hop on occasionally and get enjoyment out of it.

header.jpg

A mindblowing first person puzzler. I mean that with no irony. Antichamber is a brilliant way to have you mind opened to some of the under-realized possibilities in gaming.

header.jpg

If you haven't played Fez, you are missing out on an extremely fun puzzle game. It was famous for a reason.

header.jpg

header.jpg

Fantastic first person dungeon crawling. Great puzzles and solid strategic combat. I love this game. I bought it day one full price and it was completely worth it.
The Original is also fantastic. I heartily recommend both. If you are not sure about jumping in, the first game is only 3 dollars and it is quite similar to the second, with fewer bells and whistles.

header.jpg

I got an insane amount of entertainment out of Defender's quest. It's a tower defense with a detailed plot arc and really well thought out rpg elements. It also has fantastic quality of life settings like XP sliders and 1/8 to 16x speed control.

header.jpg

A really great Dark/Demon's souls style side scroller.

header.jpg

Cave Story is a great 2d side scroller shooter with branching paths, lots of hidden stuff to find and a high skill cap. The game requires you to be really skilled to conquer its toughest challenges but it's rewarding. If you haven't played Cave Story you are missing out on one of the first (and most important) "indie" classics.

epmode

OK, I picked up a bunch that were recommended here and a few that I had been thinking about for a while:

Pharaoh Rebirth+
TowerClimb
Rabi-Ribi
The Count Lucanor
Why Am I Dead at Sea
Creeper World 3: Arc Eternal
Fly'N
Master Spy
Trillion (thanks for that post)
Caves of Qud
Keep Talking and Nobody Explodes
RimWorld
Flat Heroes (this is pretty great so far)
Orwell
Overcooked (Tried the two player mode for a bit. SO FUN)

Good sale. Good thread.

These are probably the best gaming experiences I've had all year, fans of roguelites should be throwing money at the screen.

GoNNER - $6.69 (33% off)

I can vouch for Gonner. Like Nuclear Throne and Downwell, its playthroughs are short enough that it keeps me coming back. Amazing art and sound design too.

Lo_Fi

Guess what ya'll, Deadbolt finally has a sale better than 10%.

It's like Blade II and Hotline Miami smashed together and then gave the Grim Reaper a silenced shotgun.

It's also better than Hotline Miami.

Buy it.

Also probably worth noting that this is made by the Risk of Rain developers. Haven't actually played it yet, but it's definitely on my wishlist.

thinking about getting new Hitman game
http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/236870/

Overrall it has mixed reviews but recent are positive? did something happen?

People were hating on it at first because it was episodic. A lot of people decided that was bad before it even came out/before they even gave it a shot. Turns out that the people that did play it actually found that the episodic nature of it is the best thing to happen to hitman in years. Seems like the exact situation the separated steam reviews solves, as it'd be mixed reviews entirely if they didn't have the "recent" percentage.

If you're on the fence, I'd recommend watching any Giant Bomb video of them playing this Hitman. Looks pretty fun.

epmode

thinking about getting new Hitman game
http://store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/236870/

Overrall it has mixed reviews but recent are positive? did something happen?

The new Hitman game is legit incredible. I assume the poor reviews have to do with the distribution method, the always-online garbgage or people freaking out about the small amount of time-limited content (which is great because it's time-limited, not in spite of it).

HF2014

These are probably the best gaming experiences I've had all year, fans of roguelites should be throwing money at the screen.

GoNNER - $6.69 (33% off)

TowerClimb - $8.89 (40% off)

[URL="http://store.steampowered.com/app/311690/?snr=1_7_15__13]
header.jpg
[/URL]

(not that hidden of a gem)

Enter the Gungeon - $7.49 (50% off)

How long is Towerclimb? I got a feeling i can get hook like Spelunky n Rogue Legacy...

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
those catacomb kids gifs are cool

here's a hidden and cheap gem:

header.jpg

Oh...Sir! The Insult Simulator $1.49 - looks like a joke-y multiplayer game, but it's actually completely legit as a competitive "fighting" game. Even has combos and breakers :p Super fun, super silly, me and Nabs spent 2 hours playing it earlier and didnt even notice the time. Had a smile on my face the whole time.

DashReindeer

Lead Community Manager, Outpost Games
*sigh* I should really save the ones I do for this. Feel like I just waste a lot of time typing these up a lot. Alright, lessee...I was going to do an LTTP or thread for Our Darker Purpose but instead let's go with this.

trillion-god-of-destruction-ps-vita-north-america-europe-2016-2.jpg

Trillion: God of Destruction - Yours for Just $8.99!!! Regularly $29.99!!!

Your write-up really makes me want this game, but when I check out footage of it, the garish anime artstyle and vapid voice acting turn me off something fierce. Is there a dual-audio track in this game so at least I can play in the original language? I find that always makes anime-styled content much more palatable to me.

epmode

Your write-up really makes me want this game, but when I check out footage of it, the garish anime artstyle and vapid voice acting turn me off something fierce. Is there a dual-audio track in this game so at least I can play in the original language? I find that always makes anime-styled content much more palatable to me.

Yes, there is a Japanese audio mode.

There is also, unfortunately, a 1080p lock on the resolution. Makes absolutely no sense considering they support a ton of resolutions and aspect ratios below 1080p. It's a dealbreaker for me so I'm going to refund it unless there's a workaround.

edit: You can get the game to launch higher than 1080p by choosing Borderless and making sure Windows is running at the desired resolution before launching. It seems that the 3D scenes are upscaled from 1080p though so it's blurry.

Why on earth would you hardcode this kind of thing? There's no reason this game can't run at 1440p.

RainForce

Banned
Valkyria Chronicles, Sunrider: Mask of Arcadius & Liberation Day, probably one or two more.

Ah, should have said other than Valkyria (and I guess Phantom Brave?) as well. May check out Sunrider.

Is that really all there is? Damn, genre needs some representation on Steam.

Top Bottom