• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya annoyed on twitter, tells fanboy to use his own brain

Malvingt2

wow

ZHhOpWo.png

dW2vEOk.png

well...

Glowsquid

People forget that Kamiya has a lot more respect for capcom than the clover fallout would imply. He's usually fairly defensive of them, which to be somewhat expected considering how long he worked for them.

Wasn't Inafune the one responsible for disbanding Clover, too?

Theonik

Bayonetta compared to DMC1 is a major improvement.

Does comparing Bayo to DMC3 or the entire franchise count, if he only made the 1st one?
It's not so much about the quality. But he's complaining about making spiritual successors to previous works post-capcom when he did something similar himself.

But he doesn't hold Inafune in very high regard, for well various reasons. He's kinda right, Inafune is just a shitty businessman.

FluxWaveZ

Well Inafune isnt shy either to say that Japan game scene is shitty.

Also he isnt telling any lies.

One's aimed at a market, the other is aimed at an individual/product. There's a difference and, even if one's not wrong, there's such a thing as decency. Going on Twitter and ranting about another person or game like that, as a developer himself, shows a lack of that.

One's aimed at a market, the other is aimed at an individual/product. There's a difference and, even if one's not wrong, there's such a thing as decency. Going on Twitter and ranting about another person or game like that, as a developer himself, shows a lack of that.

Keep in mind that you're currently discussing a man who regularly insults his fans on Twitter -- look at the title of the thread you're posting in for reference.

FluxWaveZ

Keep in mind that you're currently discussing a man who regularly insults his fans on Twitter -- look at the title of the thread you're posting in for reference.

I'm aware of that. There's also a difference between insulting badgering fans and insulting a professional in the same industry as you are.

Well he's not wrong. In fact, that's the only reason people were interested in it in the first place--Capcom has done nothing with the IP, so MN9 gives them that old game play AND lets fans say "fuck you" to Capcom at the same time.

Basically. Some insults are deserved. No reason to keep respecting their "old home" if it serves no purpose for them anymore.

I'm aware of that. There's also a difference between insulting badgering fans and insulting a professional in the same industry as you are.

It's not an insult... it's the truth
And It's exactly what Mega Man fans want.

Don't let the character limit of twitter make you read into things that aren't there.

Bayonetta is nowhere near as aesthetically similar to DMC as Mighty No. 9 is to Mega Man.

We were calling Beck , Not-Mega Man

Even Roll is there and they steal bosses powers and make them their own.

Memory

Disrespectful.

That's pretty unprofessional/dumb.

But its true....

While it is a little more fast paced and has a few differnces mechanically, if you changed the title to Megaman no one would bat an eyelid. The backers even chose the closest copy of Roll for crying out loud.

That said its actually shaping up to be a good game, being a copy or heavily inspired by something (especially your own work) is not inherently bad.

There are enough devs who talk PR and bullshit, let Kamiya speak his mind to keep the balance.

FluxWaveZ

It's not an insult... it's the truth
And It's exactly what Mega Man fans want.

Don't let the character limit of twitter make you read into things that aren't there.

It's the "It's like insult to their old home," part that I take issue with. Is that really a truth? Spiritual sequels have been done all the time. Would someone also agree that Bloodstained is an insult to 2D Castlevania games? That Yooka-Laylee is insulting to Banjo-Kazooie?

Mr-Joker

Banned

I have to agree with him, Inafune is unable to come up with something original and instead copying work that other people made.

Shovel Knight is more original than Mighty No 9 and that game was inspired by Mega Man.

What about Bayonetta vs DMC Kamiya?

Bayonetta and Devil May Cry are completely different in gameplay and style.

It's the "It's like insult to their old home," part that I take issue with. Is that really a truth? Spiritual sequels have been done all the time. Would someone also agree that Bloodstained is an insult to 2D Castlevania games? That Yooka-Laylee is insulting to Banjo-Kazooie?

I think that Kamiya is annoyed that Inafune taking credit for the Mega Man series when he didn't really create Mega Man nor have any real involvement in the series as whole.

Yooka-Laylee however is different as that is being developed by key members that worked on Banjo-Kazooie and they are all sharing the credit.

FluxWaveZ

So Mighty No. 9 is an insult to the series it was directly inspired by, even though we don't know how good the game is yet, and it's bad because it looks too much like Mega Man?

I can't see it.

Inafune is unable to come up with something original and instead copying work that other people made.

I guess I can see it from this standpoint, but if the game actually turns out to be good and inspired in its own ways? I dunno.

Either way, my point was that "being right" doesn't validate what someone says all the time.

Richie

You really should know by now how Kamiya rolls. He's not like those developers that never stay away from PR speak. Dude speaks his mind. He openly called out Nintendo on the VC's crappy filter while simultaneously working on two games for them. I find the frankness refreshing.

vypek

So Mighty No. 9 is an insult to the series it was directly inspired by, even though we don't know how good the game is yet, and it's bad because it looks too much like Mega Man?

I can't see it.

Well, he said an insult to their old home. I don't think he meant insult to the series. And I don't think he said it was bad. But that is going by the photos. I don't look at his actual twitter.

For the record, I don't think their is anything wrong with the guy insulting his old home when they were/are doing nothing with the IP

Riposte

Kamiya is a bit of a hard ass when it comes to "copying". I don't agree with that way of thinking, but he's fairly consistent I guess. MN9 is at least more of a "copy" than Playstation All-Stars was, due to it being a purposeful successor. If there were more "Smash clones", in the way there are/were dozens of "Street Fighter clones", paradoxically, it would be considered less of a copy (and just another sub-genre).

People forget that Kamiya has a lot more respect for capcom than the clover fallout would imply. He's usually fairly defensive of them, which to be somewhat expected considering how long he worked for them.

Recently Mikami also said he's interested in Dino Crisis and God Hand. Would be interesting to see both him and Kamiya working on Capcom projects again.

The ball is in Capcom's court, but I doubt they would step up.

Man God

Non-Canon Member

I can't see it.

I guess I can see it from this standpoint, but if the game actually turns out to be good and inspired in its own ways? I dunno.

Either way, my point was that "being right" doesn't validate what someone says all the time.
Insult to the company not necessarily the game.

Bulzeeb

Heck, even the concept video for his new project Red ASH was awfully similar to the chase intro cinematic of Mega man legends. Lets be honest, Inafune's new games are pretty much straight forward clones and he is capitalizing on that.

mattp

he's probably being a bit harsh but he's not wrong
you can't seriously try and say devil may cry -> bayonetta is the same as mega man -> mighty number 9

I can't see it.

He means the company. He calls Capcom "his old home" too, and doesn't like people badmouthing them.

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya
We designed a lot in Bayo. Witch time, Equipment system, controls. What about No.9? RT @LurkingHaro I really liked Bayo. It feels like DMC.

No seriously, which part of bayo is like DMC? I assume they mean DMC1 because that's the only one he did.

FluxWaveZ

He means the company. He calls Capcom "his old home" too, and doesn't like people badmouthing them.

Sure, I understand that now, but it's this combined with the previous shade he's thrown at Inafune (combined with his whole Twitter persona) that makes it seem unnecessarily belligerent.

Theonik

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya
We designed a lot in Bayo. Witch time, Equipment system, controls. What about No.9? RT @LurkingHaro I really liked Bayo. It feels like DMC.
I'm just remember people gave him shit for it as well.

RurouniZel

Asks questions so Ezalc doesn't have to
As an MN9 backer I don't disagree with Kamiya to be honest.

It's a copy - that's what I wanted and am totally okay with that.
It's an insult to old home (Capcom) - good. It should be.

Still respect the fuck out of Kamiya. Tells the truth. Whether the truth is good or bad is up to the viewer. XD

The "Bayo=DMC" arguments somehow reminded me of that time where Kamiya said he hated Wind Waker. A bunch of people immediately responded with "Yeah well Okami was terrible too! See? Doesn't feel good, does it? :mad:"

Top Bottom