• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya annoyed on twitter, tells fanboy to use his own brain

Wasn't Inafune the one responsible for disbanding Clover, too?

What? Do you have any source on that?

That's pretty unprofessional/dumb.

Welcome to this thread. :D
I also find it refreshing to see him speak his mind unabashedly. It benefits all of us to know what's up and what each of them think about each other, while the only ones vulnerable to the negative effects of their sincerity are themselves.

I think that Kamiya is annoyed that Inafune taking credit for the Mega Man series when he didn't really create Mega Man nor have any real involvement in the series as whole.

That's pretty much it, and he's not alone. Much like diehard Marvel fans aren't exactly thrilled how Stan Lee pretty much erased Jack Kirby from mainstream memory. He's also on point when he says Inafune is a much better businessman than creator, although to be fair comparing any other creator to Kamiya is sure to make them look underwhelming.

Novocaine

wow

ZHhOpWo.png

dW2vEOk.png

The real insult is how Capcom has ignored Megaman. Inafune is attempting to give fans what they've been pleading for. Whether it's going to be good or not I don't know, but I'm glad he's doing it nonetheless.

NotLiquid

Kamiya has already made his stance clear on derivatives though. He similarly didn't care at all for PSABR.

He's not wrong in this situation. Mighty No. 9 tried to sell itself as a fuck you to Capcom without actually having to explicitly say it. Plenty of spiritual successors exist but if you changed the name of the game to something like Mighty Mega Man you'd be forgiven for thinking it was that exact series. It was always a little bit too on-the-nose.

It's funny that Kamiya tweeted this though - a sentiment that I've had ever since the Kickstarter reveal was that it's hard for me to fully sympathize with Inafune in comparison to someone like Kamiya who was arguably always dealt more of a shit hand within Capcom. He once said he always had sequel ideas for the games he made but he never got the chance to do them because he was either relocated to other projects or because no one had told him. Instead he kept forging onward and continued to make new ideas, challenging what was possible and continuously proving that good things came out of Japanese development.

Inafune meanwhile has kind of been stuck in this rut where he criticizes the state of the industry but is instead caught in a producer/business loop hole of trying to garner up sympathy from audiences who will buy into the derivatives. While that's fine and all for people who want those games I've still not seen any reason to appreciate him as a designer and the choices he makes. He talks big and promises things but he's never seemed to live up to his apparent legacy; in fact it seems like he's never living his past successes down and it's because of that he only relies on things of past as a one-trick pony.

I don't think the Bayo/DMC comparison holds, either.

Bayonetta sort of resembles (as in, is the same genre as) what DMC became under Itsuno. It's the natural evolution of what DMC1 was.

Servbot24

Banned
I do not, unless it's obviously misleading or a lie. "PR-speak" is designed to be the opposite of what you quoted.

Fair enough. Many people dislike "PR-speak", i.e. dancing around issues and opinions in an effort to be inoffensive. But as long as you're consistent that's fine.

FluxWaveZ

Fair enough. Many people dislike "PR-speak", i.e. dancing around issues and opinions in an effort to be inoffensive. But as long as you're consistent that's fine.

Those are typically different scenarios, though. When developers or publishers are interviewed or asked about controversial subjects, it usually directly implicates them, even if it branches out to other people or companies. As far as I know, Kamiya isn't involved with Might No. 9 or Mega Man (currently) in any way and this is simply his response to what he thinks of it. That's fine, but that's not what PR is about.

I think that Kamiya is annoyed that Inafune taking credit for the Mega Man series when he didn't really create Mega Man nor have any real involvement in the series as whole.

Well, it is at least true that he was the series' biggest champion for years; Capcom probably would have let it fall by the wayside a while back if it hadn't been for him. He may not have been its creator and he may never have worked as a game designer or director or whatever - but he was almost certainly integral to the series' continued existence.

Kamiya has already made his stance clear on derivatives though. He similarly didn't care at all for PSABR.

And don't forget his comments on Streets of Rage, lol.

Sure, I understand that now, but it's this combined with the previous shade he's thrown at Inafune (combined with his whole Twitter persona) that makes it seem unnecessarily belligerent.

I follow Kamiya on Twitter, and yeah he is belligerent enough to make me think about unfollowing every now and again, but seeing the @ tweets he gets, I'm not surprised. I'd be snarkier than him in his shoes, and far less willing to unblock people.

Satch

Banned
Its very true though, could be why he called Inafune a good businessman but not a good creator.

he called Inaba (the producer at platinum) a good businessman too

i mean... you can log onto twitter and shade Kamiya yourself where he can see you if you want to... the @ function is free, sister

Roto13

How long have you been blocked for? :p

He wasn't as block happy when I asked him. :p He said he was sent a copy of Kid Icarus Uprising, and I asked if he had played any of Masahiro Sakurai's games, and he said no but he knows they're "full of fun." (His words.)

mazpratim

I think the main problem is Mighty No. 9 looks like a disappointing game, all it really has going for it is that it's supposed to be a Mega Man clone, but it lacks a lot of the Mega Man charm.

@MUWANdo

Banned
And don't forget his comments on Streets of Rage, lol.

I hear similar comments about Bare Knuckle from lots of JP people, actually, but they'd go ahead and praise equally derivative games like Ikari Warriors or Raiden without a second thought. Maybe the rest of the world is softer on SOR because there are more MD kids, I don't know.

I disagree. Mega Man is Inafune's creation and he should continue his own series in the best possible way, with or without Capcom. The name "Rockman"/"Mega Man" or "Mighty No.9" is irrelevant. It's exactly what Mega Man fans wanted, and I don't see anything wrong with it.

I'm not a fan of Mega Man personally, but you could say the same about Yooka-Laylee and Bloodstained.

Is mighty no. 9 what the fans want though? Every gameplay trailer I saw on youtube have comments full of complaints. At some point that project lost it's goodwill support.

Malvingt2

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya
By the way, do they know the fact that the man who made the first Rock man is Akira Kitamura? Just curious.

REPEAT: Tired of storm of mindless Mega man kids. My opinion is my opinion. Urs are urs. If u have a brain, get lost. If u don't, get lost.

Yup. RT @EvilGouken He did Rokman II as well, Am I right?

Pointless. Get lost. RT @grandkiller97 Inafune had more involvement with the creation of Mega/Rock Man X than with the classic series.

Agreed. RT @SamuelLucciano Oh, I get it now, good point, I only hope Capcom desides to make more Megaman games, I miss them.

By the way, do you know the fact that the man who made the first DMC is Hideki Kamiya...?

MIND BLOWN. RT @mjohneast I know he made the masterpiece called Okami.

WHAT A LEGEND RT @Darkarm66 I heard he had something to do with Viewtiful Joe and The Wonderful 101, he's a great guy

INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLE RT @I_am_ChaosX he also made a game called Bayonetta. You should check it out.

He is on fire today.. lol

JackelZXA

Yeah but this following tweet leads me to believe people are reading into those tweets more than they should. Kamiya's saying it's a copy, and then acknowledges his own copying. There's a subtlety being lost on most people and I doubt Kamiya cares enough to explain shit in detail to his followers anyways. Insects should use their own brains, after all.

https://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/618443288698208256
神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya
@PG_kamiya
Like I said :) -> RT @HASUKIRYO A copy of his OWN creation. P.S Bayoneta en devil may cry are the same shit.

Okami is boring tho

No problems if you think that. Just find it funny whenever a developer has ill opinion on a popular game, people immediately go for a gut shot and point out their previous work is shit instead of actually discussing points and opinions. (I still can't see how people see Bayonetta as a copy of DMC) Suppose that's no different from folks who mock regular gamers for liking a game over another.

But anywho~

It's her own fault for being a woman on the internet with an opinion, really.

That thing was embarrassing.

L Thammy

By the way, do you know the fact that the man who made the first DMC is Hideki Kamiya...?

WHAT A LEGEND RT @Darkarm66 I heard he had something to do with Viewtiful Joe and The Wonderful 101, he's a great guy

INCREDIBLY INCREDIBLE RT @I_am_ChaosX he also made a game called Bayonetta. You should check it out.

Man, I love when we get development secrets like this.

Why what happened?

If I recall correctly, the community manager on Mighty n9 forums drew a female version of Beck and said it would be neat for a female Beck in the game instead. Some poster dug through and found she was a feminist.

This, of course, led a fair number of people freaking the fuck out for no reason.

Alo81

Low Poly Gynecologist
By the way, do they know the fact that the man who made the first Rock man is Akira Kitamura? Just curious.

REPEAT: Tired of storm of mindless Mega man kids. My opinion is my opinion. Urs are urs. If u have a brain, get lost. If u don't, get lost.

Yup. RT @EvilGouken He did Rokman II as well, Am I right?

Pointless. Get lost. RT @grandkiller97 Inafune had more involvement with the creation of Mega/Rock Man X than with the classic series.

Agreed. RT @SamuelLucciano Oh, I get it now, good point, I only hope Capcom desides to make more Megaman games, I miss them.

He is on fire today.. lol

This is some Grade A stuff right here.

Top Bottom