• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.
You know he is right that it is a ripoff. I just dont understand his moral annoyance when he made that one game thats constantly called a Zelda ripoff.

Pranay

Hey PC master race:

1344196472895.png

lolololololol. Tweets are hilarious i must say.

On a cursory level, he's absolutely right that Battle Royale is a rip-off, because it features a cast of brand mascots fighting each other on a 2.5D plain. And then you get the beta, and you realize how differently it plays, and how much its unconventional risk/reward scoring system works and harbours a real tactical edge, and how a sense of superiority to SSB creeps in as you continue to play it, until then all of a sudden all those accusations of Battle Royale being a "rip-off" become irrelevant and dissolve away, because in the end... it's a fucking great game.

If I held the same irrational distate for rip-offs that Kamiya does, I'd have never played Alundra. Yet to this day, Alundra is still better than any Zelda I've ever encountered.

Boss Man

Pretty silly. The game does enough on its own to not be considered a rip off. It's a game in the same vein, as is the case with video game genres.

It has entirely different mechanics and it actually plays very well, but I guess if you've never played it the first assumption might be that it's the same exact thing but with different characters.

V_Ben

Banned
Regardless of what people think of the game, there is no way you can dislike Kamiya's twitter feed. Just aggressive idiot punishment, all day long.

Penguin

Whether you agree with him or not, I think this is going to be a mindset Sony is going to have to combat in marketing.

I'm not sure they can really convey the differences between this and Smash effectively in a TV commercial or print ad for example.

Whether you agree with him or not, I think this is going to be a mindset Sony is going to have to combat in marketing.

I'm not sure they can really convey the differences between this and Smash effectively in a TV commercial or print ad for example.

Like I said, they are not going to try and combat it. They are relying on the comparisons.
That was why they made it in the first place!

Kurod

Banned
I'm disappointed in Kamiya. Not for calling it a rip-off; It obviously drew inspiration from Smash. I'm disappointed in him dismissing All stars as just a rip-off. I can understand that he has a good personal relationship with Sakurai but I would still expect better from an industry vet like him.

Kade

People were fine with the TMNT Smash Ripoff. This one just doesn't look that good and Sony should just cancel the game and have the developers work on something worthwhile instead of wasting their effort and time. They're having trouble comprehending what makes Smash Bros. good and are only ripping it off at a surface level.

evolution

I think they should embrace it. I mean, It is what it is. A lot of people have wanted this type of game because smash is so fun. There's enough playstation fans for this game to be sucessful.

People were fine with the TMNT Smash Ripoff. This one just doesn't look that good and Sony should just cancel the game and have the developers work on something worthwhile instead of wasting their effort and time. They're having trouble comprehending what makes Smash Bros. good and are only ripping it off at a surface level.

Wow.....just....wow

Paracelsus

Uncharted is basically a jungle rip-off of Gears of War.

Uncharted is overall a better series than GoW. Barely but it is.

Pranay

You seriously have won this thread ^_^.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Kamiya Twitter thread pt 2

Neogaf becomes what they hate and treat twitter posts as news worth discussing

No, you definitely don't know much about Kamiya :(

Or Platinum. Atsushi Inaba came and flat out said Ninja Gaiden 3 sucked and that the beauty of being an independent studio is you can say stuff like that.

TheMink

SSB is incredibly amazing and fun to play.
PSAS is incredibly amazing and fun to play.

As a fan of both sony and nintendo, that's all I give a damn about.

I'm not sure yet, but I think this might be the new "As a Nintendo fan, this literally makes me sick..."

It doesn't play similar at all and if we are talking about the concept then Nintendo never invented crossover fighting games anyway so what the fuck are we talking about here exactly?

Pranay

vs

ir8UG1u4GC3qd.png

I wonder who wins !

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom