• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Man

Will be interesting to see how well they are able to translate Smash to the 3DS (and if this in effect influences the Wii-U version).
PlayStation Smash is running @ 60fps on a 5" HD Oled screen and some people find the screen just barely large enough to keep up with the action.
The PS Smash online and netcode is supposedly superb.

Boss Man

wat first impressions about the game from people that played it back then were pretty positive.
It does admittedly not *look* as fun as it plays. I think it's because the game is (believe it or not) following a very different formula than what people are used to, and you're not really sure what to pay attention to.

But yes, the actual hands-on impressions for this game have been almost unanimously positive, from event booths to the beta.

Gorillaz

A significant improvement in the Super Smash Brothers formula that both sets it apart and can be used to expand it's idea.

Grab and hold exploit isn't in this game and there will probably be patching of character post launch. Brawl dropped the ball due to the fact the online was barebones and lackluster. Let's not forget characters that were unbalanced. There was literally no support post launch.

And Post launch support isn't just DLC. I still love Brawl but wish it got the support it deserved post launch, so hoping this gets some love post launch.

Im just saying it's a closed beta and most of the people playing the beta are the hardcore Sony faithful. As in they sought out ways to play the game early. I've owned a PS3 since launch and I didn't get in. Isn't there a chance we should wait until they cast a larger net before we declare it the next big thing.
...Their are a few smash players (me) that are playing it.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Im just saying it's a closed beta and most of the people playing the beta are the hardcore Sony faithful. As in they sought out ways to play the game early. I've owned a PS3 since launch and I didn't get in. Isn't there a chance we should wait until they cast a larger net before we declare it the next big thing.

Maybe, but the thing that brought the whole topic up was a post saying that there is no way this game ends up being good, which you could say the exact same thing to.

Forever

Banned
More Kamiya being awesome:

pT1Oz.png

LOL, the dude in these tweets deleted his Twitter account.

Kamiya wins again.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
Shouldn't be be working on his game? What's up with Japanese devs on Twitter all day

Yeah because God forbid people ever leave work and have some personal time.

Kamiya is right, its a ripoff and he doesnt like it. Neither do I.

Maybe, but the thing that brought the whole topic up was a post saying that there is no way this game ends up being good, which you could say the exact same thing to.

I dont doubt the game ends up being good, and hopefully makes Nintendo innovate with Smash. I was just saying the Sony faithful have taken this "attack" as an attack on Sony. When really he's just saying what anybody would naturally think when they see the game.

Ploid 3.0

I gain nothing from playing a game that is terrible but I wish was good. The beta is fun to play, the only thing holding me back from playing it too much is that it can stall when loading up, have a good amount of issues finding players, it can freeze on loading, and there is a chance you can encounter a glitch while playing the game. At worse you'd have to restart the PS3 manually, but I still go back at it because I enjoy the feeling of winning, preventing a rival that I notice from winning, or killing sly. it's not as clear cut as a frequent Playstation owner. I really like fighting games so it helps. Loading up another match is quick enough (may get delayed by previously stated glitches).

I expect the online glitch loading stuff to be fixed in the final game. That's pretty much the whole point of the beta at the moment anyway. Anyway, I love everyone.

Group Hug everybody!

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
I dont doubt the game ends up being good, and hopefully makes Nintendo innovate with Smash. I was just saying the Sony faithful have taken this "attack" as an attack on Sony. When really he's just saying what anybody would naturally think when they see the game.

I don't personally care if someone wants to take an attack at Sony, but I think all of these people using double standards to completely dismiss the game are insane. No one I've seen has explained why Mortal Kombat or Uncharted or Darksiders doesn't get the type of hate that this game is hating.

Raging Spaniard

If they are Dutch, upright and breathing they are more racist than your favorite player
"Other guy is right because he shares my opinion."
This thread is a goldmine.

Reading comprehension is not your strong suit.

He said the game is a ripoff, how is he wrong? Its a fact, plain and simple.

Dariso

Neo Member
Wow kamiya causing this battlefield with a simple opinion lol.
Remember that he really wants to make a star fox game so he's on the right path.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Go ahead man, take every chance you get to laugh at fanboys slinging shit at each other.

And yet you've found a way see yourself above both sides, despite not contributing anything worthwhile to any discussion. I'm sorry but I am getting sick of these "LOL people are having an arguement on a video game message board" posts. I don't know what you are doing here if you think those things are stupid.

People on both sides have their own views, and message boards like these are made of a exchange of viewpoints. I maybe strong in my opinions for PSAS and against Kamiya in this one instance, but that doesn't mean I can't respect the other side. That's why I choose to argue with them. These type of posts are just disrespectful to everyone with no good reason.

I wish we could have these arguments without a bunch of people coming in and saying both sides are funny/dumb and jumping out of the topic without adding anything of value.

Auto_aim1

MeisaMcCaffrey
His Twitter acc is an absolute goldmine; everyone needs to be following it! Most of us know that PSABR is a highly inspired game so no need to get all defensive. He isn't sugar coating his opinions that's for sure.

test_account

XP-39C²
People get upset because rip off has a negative connotation while inspired by sounds positive/neutral.

And they mean basically the same thing
Pretty much this. Although in this case, Kamiya seems to talk more like it is a carbon copy because he says "throw away morals". That it is a stolen copy and it shouldnt be "allowed". At least that is how i understand it.

as someone who has no interest in either game I'd just like to say that this thread was a hilarious rollercoaster ride of thrills, spills and shills.

Salsa

People get upset because rip off has a negative connotation while inspired by sounds positive/neutral.

And they mean basically the same thing

They are not stupid, they know they start this from a low point considering it is indeed a ripoff. I just personally dont think they have the game to back it up. It's like a Move situation. It was a ripoff but people didnt write it off because it was just Sony's version of the Wiimote, they did because it was bad and didnt have the software to support it (no need to say that obviously some people think it does, same way people will think this game is amazing even if it turns out to be plain bad or mediocre for most).

JABEE

I can't wait for the deluge of complaints when a demo comes out and people bitch about how it doesn't play like Smash Bros after all this bullshit. This crap is only going to make the games reception even more negative because people are expecting it to actually be Smash Bros and it isn't. Instead of going in with an open mind people will just be turned off completely.
The response will be "I thought this was a Smash Brothers clone. Why is this unique and different?"

This is one of the interesting differences between Japanese and Western development. Cribbing influence in western games isn't seen as a bad thing - you take what's big, you improve on it, and you hopefully become the new standard-bearer. In Japan, they inefficiently try to reinvent the wheel each time and it costs both creativity and polish time during development.

The rise of UE3 in the west can be considered a direct reason for this, too.

Agree. Thats why Kamiya brands this as ripoff, if such logic was common sense there would only be 25 unique games that invented a game genre and everything else branded as ripoff.

as someone who has no interest in either game I'd just like to say that this thread was a hilarious rollercoaster ride of thrills, spills and shills.

Agreed, the only Smash-esque game I've enjoyed is Jump Stars so I don't care for either ,,side'' as this point, but what I know is that I need more Kamiya Twitter in my life from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom