• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Haha I love Kamiya. Guy doesn't give a fuck what he's saying

On one hand you'd have to be completely blind to not say its a ripoff. On the other hand, ripoffs aren't necessarily bad things.

Pranay

He apparently knows little of honor.

Can't say I disagree. Which would be fine if the entire affair weren't so slapdash. It's an aesthetic mess, and even the move sets often have little to do with the history of the characters. It all feels extremely lazy to me, and I cannot understand the excitement people have for it in that beta thread.

Have you even played the game ?

People are playing the game and loving it.

Can't disagree with Kamiya there and I find it hard to believe that there are people who think it's not a ripoff.

play the game and then tell

About the DMC=Bayonetta comments: It's not that "he ripped off his own game lol" but rather he's taking a company to task for showing a lack of creativity when his best game is basically him taking his previous magnum opus and changing the names

pants

I don't think Kamiya got this far because of his corporate relations skills :lol
True lol.

I'd just rather he not burn possible funding sources, little baby jesus knows where platinum is going to find a sugar daddy going forward :/

Desmond

About the DMC=Bayonetta comments: It's not that "he ripped off his own game lol" but rather he's taking a company to task for showing a lack of creativity when his best game is basically him taking his previous magnum opus and changing the names
Tweet that shizz!!!

Bayonetta is a pretty big departure and improvement over Devil May Cry 1. Not sure how that is simply changing the name.

Risette

A Good Citizen
I'm guessing you've played neither.

Have you even played the game ?

People are playing the game and loving it.

play the game and then tell
You don't have to play the game to think that it's a kitschy looking wreck with poor aesthetics.

(oh god I'm agreeing with Zia what's going on)

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member

I'm sure he would have just made it a sequel to DMC if he had the rights to that franchise. He wanted to take his previous work to the next level. And he did. He just couldn't use the same franchise to do it.

Can't disagree with Kamiya there and I find it hard to believe that there are people who think it's not a ripoff.

Try playing PS All Stars exactly like you play SSB and see how far it gets you. There's a difference between being inspired by something and ripping it off.

Kusagari

Bayonetta was him simply taking DMC and changing the name?

Hahaha, okay.

Cade

This thread got ugly fast, I'm not sure I like that now anything anyone with any connection to gaming says on Twitter is news-worthy. He's not wrong though; it is a pretty blatant copy of SSB, but tweaked. I don't think that "throwing morals away" is apt, though.

Preachsuh

Banned
As a consumer, the whole thing kinda makes me say ick.
Since the only first party sony title i love is the ico saga, ick.
But i don't begrudge those who do love their library their fun.

If i were a developer, the very last thing i'd ever want to hear my publisher say, is make a game like X game here, but do it differently.
Its just an ugly scenario for me to imagine, as someone who is adamant about doing my own thing, from childhood to now.

Now, if you brainstorm a game and it starts to sound like another game as you structure it, then alright.
But to have the framework borrowed from another at the very beginning, and then fill it with different interior details, is icky to me.

Part of the reason why i hate all the new suburban housing developments that all look the exact same, barring few minor changes. Think Agrestic from Weeds.

Kamiya just happens to agree with me.

No wonder all his recent games bombed.

Kamiya =/= platinum games. All the games that bombed, vanquish, anarchy reigns, and etc. WERE NOT DIRECTED BY HIM. His last game bayonetta was the company's most successful project and was NOT a bomb.

Majukun

have you really played devil may cry and bayonetta?now i'm doubtful

Cactus

Banned
Why does SSB get a pass to be the only game in the genre?

If this were the way the industry worked we would only have about 10 different game series that were on their 20th iteration.

How dare Crash Team Racing and Diddy Kong Racing copy off of Mario Kart!!!

The logic for being against PSABR is ridiculous

I'm not necessarily against the deliberate emulation of gameplay/genre/style, but when one specific game completely rips off another specific game, simple mimicry is exceeded.

I know very little about this Sony All-Stars game, so I can't really make any sort of informed judgement regarding it's creative legitimacy, but if the stuff mentioned earlier about the designers lifting special moves and other intrinsic gameplay elements like that directly from Smash Bros. in addition to the gameplay style is true, I think it's fair for Kamiya to feel that they've taken too much from Nintendo.

Nibel

You have never, never, never even played Bayonetta, did you?

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Kamiya trying to secure dat Nintendo relationship.

If he is, he's not doing a great job of it.

kamiya3dswhulk.png

You have never played Bayonetta

Does this have something to do with my post or...

Actually more with your previous ones. Not singling you out in particular, but people act as if Smash Bros is the only mascot fighter allowed. It's fine to shit on Sony when they fuck up (just check the weekly store update threads), but for this game, it is pretty unwarranted. Superbot even said themself that they were inspired by Smash Bros. and many other fighters, but they tried to change the formula as much as possible, resulting in completely different paces and tactics. You win by continously attacking your opponents, you can't sit back and steal KOs like you do in Smash Bros. That alone makes a major difference.

I do agree that the YT tags were stupid, Sony's sometimes their own biggest enemy, haha.

It's actually less of a ripoff than the SF2 clones back in the early 90s when you look at the gameplay. I hope everyone gives it a shot when the beta is out in the stores this fall and see for themselves whether it's a rip-off or not.

wrowa

Of course it's a Smash Bros rip-off. How can you even argue with that? A single look at the game already makes it obvious that they used SSB as the main source of inspiration.

Whether or not it's a bad thing can't be answered generally. However, I can understand why a developer looks down on those kind of games that make use of other people's creativity.

The most annoying part is actually that news-sites are bound to pick up the story even though Kamiya stated again and again that his Tweets aren't news sources.

Beth Cyra

You can't be serious with this shit.

This is on the level of saying that his games never sell which completely ignores Resident Evil 2 being still in Capcom's top 10 selling games of all time.

Look up the phrases "refinement" and "iteration"

PSASBR was conceived with neither in mind

True lol.

I'd just rather he not burn possible funding sources, little baby jesus knows where platinum is going to find a sugar daddy going forward :/

Yeah I getcha. Hopefully Nintendo will pick up more of their stuff in the future- in a way, them making P-100 as a Wii U exclusive with Nintendo is more promising for their future than just doing work on a Star Fox game or something. They're being hired for their creativity and such, not just as a jobber (like with MGR).

He probably wanted to do more games with his original design but because DMC belongs to Capcom he had to create a new IP.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
If i were a developer, the very last thing i'd ever want to hear my publisher say, is make a game like X game here, but do it differently.
Its just an ugly scenario for me to imagine, as someone who is adamant about doing my own thing, from childhood to now.
Have you any proof that this is what happened?

Because the developer has made public statements that they approached Sony with the idea. They even showed the footage they used to get Sony on board at Comic-Con.

So basically you're saying they are liars which I think needs to be backed up.

kevm3

On the surface, playstation all stars DOES look like smash brothers, so I can see where he is coming from. On the other hand, those who have actually played the game say they play nothing alike.

Pranay

Not to disparage your comment, but if we judged all games by how fanboys took to them every game would sell 10 million units.

Let's wait until it releases proper to judge.

We are all playing the beta and by no means its an SSB rip off.

Their is a good effort by superbot in making this game and i feel they have a done a really great in making this game "fun" and a game which plays entirely different to ssb.

Yes, hence why I said that I cannot understand why people enjoy it.

Cause once you play it, you will realize how fun it is. Also its 2011 build, the game will be polished up before release.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
He excels at making genre defining games.

That bomb.

Devil May Cry being his only true "success" because Capcom put some effort into showing it off.

GCX

So you're saying developers should reinvent themselves with every new game they make?

People are really good at one or two things and Kamiya is good at making DMC/Bayonetta/Viewtiful Joe style over the top action games. That's great. And I'm not even going into the Bayonetta=DMC debate because it's not really even a debate.

Well, I got to agree with Mr. Kamiya!

They don´t have to reinvent the wheel but if they did something unique with it, changed the formula here and there, i would be cool with it. But his looks more like Copy and Paste approach of the concept.

This is my opinion, and i stand by it.

glad to know you didn't play the game or the beta.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom