• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kizer

"Imitation is the sincerest [form] of flattery"

that being said, I honestly don't think it is fair to call it a rip off. Way you win in this game is very different from how you do in smash brothers, meaning you would play it differently all together. Your goal isn't about knocking the person off the stage in the most effective way possible, but trying to find a way to build your meter as quickly as you can as well as being able to manage it well.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
As weird as this sounds, I kinda agree. I hate the Super to KO mechanic.

Honestly a lot of the 2D arena fighters with "Smash-esque" style should really just directly rip-off Smash instead of adding some weird add-on gimmick. Digimon Rumble Arena 2 and TMNT suffered from having characters fight too similarly, Cartoon Network Punch Time Explosion had horrible frame rate and mechanics, etc.

Really, the closest thing that played well was Dream Mix TV World Fighters, and it still felt tacky.

Fabrik

Banned
It is a rip-off. Whether it plays slightly differently or not doesn't change the fact it's a blatant copy of SSB.

remist

He's not insulting the game. No need to get defensive. What he said is correct, no? They are open about them being inspired by it.

He is claiming the game is immoral. I'd say that's pretty insulting and also a silly overreaction considering he's never played the game.

ApolloJoh

About the DMC=Bayonetta comments: It's not that "he ripped off his own game lol" but rather he's taking a company to task for showing a lack of creativity when his best game is basically him taking his previous magnum opus and changing the names

You mean Bayonetta = DMC reformed

Vice

That bomb.

Devil May Cry being his only true "success" because Capcom put some effort into showing it off.

He also directed Resident Evil 2 and he did something important for the first RE. Viewtiful Joe seemed to do well until it got instantly ran into the ground.

w0eWm.png

When was this screen cap taken? I'm pretty sure they NEVER had SSB tags on their own videos. Had to double check the video myself, no SSB tags to be seen.

After thinking about it more, I just don't understand how this is a rip off, conceptually or mechanically. I have complete respect for HK as a developer but man, no matter how you spin that statement it just sounds fanboyish and biased to me.

SSB definitely did NOT start the 2D 4 player brawler genre, they merely popularized it. I never understood the hate people had for PSABR ever since it came out, like SSB is the only 2D brawler game to have ever existed. I've played many of them, usually they're pretty fun but SSB has consistently been great, arguably Brawl was a huge let down but I digress.

I understand that both SSB and PSABR are 2D 4 player brawlers focused on celebrating hardware platform holders, but they both play very differently. Both are very fun and that's all that should matter. If only one game of a particular style was allowed in each genre, we would be on Super Street Fighter 25, Arcade Edition and ... you get the idea.

It just boggles my mind how time and time again Nintendo fanboys come raging through with their stubbornness before they even give the game a chance. I love SSB too but PSABR is really fun, so whatever.

Edit: As I was writing this, page 2 just started and ... wow. I think I'll probably just lurk on this for awhile and see all the hater comments, after I've gotten my fill I'll be gone.

7threst

About the DMC=Bayonetta comments: It's not that "he ripped off his own game lol" but rather he's taking a company to task for showing a lack of creativity when his best game is basically him taking his previous magnum opus and changing the names

Eh, no...

Kamiya has spoken. There shouldn't even be a discussion. If he said the sky is actually red but the human eye perceives it wrong, that means the sky is red.

And looool @ Bayo = DMC responses. You guys are too much.

vareon

Well he didn't say the game sucks he just said that he didn't like the game because it's a rip-off. Judging from the media released until now it's understandable that someone came to that opinion, and in the end Kamiya's just one guy.

What I do hope is that the game ends up offering more than just "it's SSB, but with Sony characters just to please you fans!" which sounds sad already.

SniperHunter said:
the entire gaming industry is built on ripping off ideas...look at first person shooters, they "borrow" so much from one and other. Same goes for the GTA clones, the Uncharted and Gears of War clones...not a big deal at all.

While this is true, there are many reasons why many games have similar mechanics. It's one thing to be inspired by a game and then improving it, vs "hey this kind of game is a success...let's make it too!". This is how Terraria stood out from all other Minecraft clones.

I have actually been really careful in what I have said about Battle Royale until it releases because A) pre-judging is kind of dumb and B) situations exactly like this.

The corporate siding thing nagged me a little (don't look at my name, it's ironic) but you were definitely friendlier compared to most people.

I understand the reactions of many people, though. At first, I wasn't even sure if I was gonna like it. Thing is, there is a lot of fighting game talent working on it, so even if it's crowned as a ripoff, the gameplay will be solid if the beta is a representation.

PaineReign

Neo Member
Developer's tweet echoes the sentiments of many people on the internet: 5 page thread at 11.

Whether you like it or not, Sony is inviting the comparisons. It is a 2D fighting game featuring an all-star cast of a console owners characters.

The framework is the same. Its like how Shadow Complex is a rip off of Super Metroid. Yeah it has the same progression and same framework, but it has different powerups and a different setting, enough to make it distinct.

Trey

Like Battle Royale?

I've watched some videos of Battle Royale. The biggest changes I can see are that it has meters and death is handled differently, but everything else is practically the same. I obviously would need to play it to find more.

Conceptually, however, Battle Royale is quite obviously a ripoff.

GCX

When was this screen cap taken? I'm pretty sure they NEVER had SSB tags on their own videos. Had to double check the video myself, no SSB tags to be seen.
It was taken a few hours after the video was posted. Sony changed the tags after all the Youtube comments only focused on that.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
From what I've played of the beta, I'd say the gameplay is far better than Smash Bros and more different than it then the difference between Mortal Kombat, Blazblue, and Street Fighter or Virtua Fighter and Tekken.

He makes great games and I think his hatred towards ripoffs probably helps his game design. But generally I think one of the biggest reasons for the west's rise over japan is they are still evolving by ripping off each other. For example Uncharted wouldn't be what it is today if it wasn't for ripping off Gears of War, but making it better by adding Tomb Raiders climbing and a better story and now games like God of War is ripping off the newer climbing system in Unhcarted. Its like Japan decided to stop ripping each other off around the PS2 era, and its making a lot of their games, especially RPGs, look like PS2 games still.

Gorillaz

Being in the beta It does take a nice amount of Smash Bros qualities but gameplay does have a different feel to it.

IDK hard to explain but people will see in the public beta I guess.

Kusagari

Look at Cole's super and tell me it isn't Superbot completely and utterly ripping off Snake's FS.

But let me guess, it's a coincidence?

It had the tags when it was first uploaded a few minutes after the sony e3 press conference. the tags were removed later when a lot of people pointed it out

pants

Yeah I getcha. Hopefully Nintendo will pick up more of their stuff in the future- in a way, them making P-100 as a Wii U exclusive with Nintendo is more promising for their future than just doing work on a Star Fox game or something. They're being hired for their creativity and such, not just as a jobber (like with MGR).
Would love Nintendo to invest some real money in them, they already have game quality down and could use some financial muscle to spread awareness and such.

But everyone fucking knows it's a ripoff/clone/copycat. How can you not know that upon seeing it in motion? Who cares if this guy dislikes it? People on GAF express just as much if not more blanket dismissals on games they've never played on a regular basis.

We are all playing the beta and by no means its an SSB rip off.

Their is a good effort by superbot in making this game and i feel they have a done a really great in making this game "fun" and a game which plays entirely different to ssb.

PASBR is a conceptual ripoff of Smash Bros. It's silly for anyone to not acknowledge that basic fact.

No one is arguing about how fun the game is. That's irrelevant to this particular conversation.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I still wonder why people say to "play the game" when people always do it all the time.

Look at Cole's super and tell me it isn't Superbot completely and utterly ripping off Snake's FS.

In a random yet morbid hilarity, wasn't a Wii connected to a PC found during one of the development pics?

Unbounded

I'm not going to say it's a ripoff, but I will say that if they wanted to make a good 4 player brawler there were plenty of other ways they could've done it.

For instance, iunno, being a 3D game?

Smash worked well since every character had their roots in 2D gameplay. Mario, kirby, Samus, and minus a few clear exceptions that was the general trend.

For PS all stars though? You've got sly, Kratos, Cole, Fat princess, all characters who had their roots in 3D, or more importanty, characters who don't have any real experience in 2D whatsoever. Putting 3D-exclusive characters in a 2D fighting game makes little sense.

It's counterintuitive for people who like said characters.

It makes your game appear to be more like smash than needed.

Most important, it keeps your game from being as unique as it possibly can.

I honestly don't see why they made the decision to keep it 2D versus 3D other than to try to capitalize on the smash audience. They wanted people to look at it, say "oh, hey, that reminds me of super smash brothers, I want to try it!" and work from there.

meppi

I like how he isn't afraid to speak his mind like this, where most others will just keep quiet to not upset one of the big 3 if they feel this way about this or any other subject.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
the entire gaming industry is built on ripping off ideas...look at first person shooters, they "borrow" so much from one and other. Same goes for the GTA clones, the Uncharted and Gears of War clones...not a big deal at all.

It isn't just the gaming industry, most run on using the same base concepts and then change things as they go along, it's how one tries to improve on what already exists.

We wouldn't be where we are now as a species if inventors/companies/developers didn't take what already existed to build upon, rip off or not, there aren't an infinite number of good ways to do something and companies don't want to put out something that is comepletly new incase it doesn't work.

I imagine the guys behind PSAS sat down and thought up of the best way to do a mascot fighter, but at the end of the day the most popular one is SSB and that is what a lot of people have been asking for. Doing something else completely different could have ended up with something terrible that no one would buy or play shelving a PlayStation mascot fighter forever.

It's quite obvious where they got the whole idea for PSAS, but really, throwing away ones moral code?

Pranay

But everyone fucking knows it's a ripoff/clone/copycat. How can you not know that upon seeing it in motion? Who cares if this guy dislikes it? People on GAF express just as much if not more blanket dismissals on games they've never played on a regular basis.

1 - It's not. People are playing the beta.
2 - Kind of insulting to the developer making the game. Being inspired and a rip off is completely different.

Duffyside

Banned

What? Don't you aim/shoot grenades with Snake, and just move the tornado left and right with Cole? Isn't the only similarity that they jump to the foreground and it's an over-the-shoulder view? Whoopde-doo.

Nintendo doesn't own every basic gameplay concept, y'know. Pretty big stretch of an example of this game being a rip-off. There are plenty of others to pick from, dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom