• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

GDGF

Soothsayer
When was this screen cap taken? I'm pretty sure they NEVER had SSB tags on their own videos. Had to double check the video myself, no SSB tags to be seen.

They did. There was a thread live on GAF as all of this was going on. After a shit ton of people complained they got rid of them.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
The framework is the same. Its like how Shadow Complex is a rip off of Super Metroid. Yeah it has the same progression and same framework, but it has different powerups and a different setting, enough to make it distinct.
I think it comes down to semantics.

You call Shadow Complex a rip-off of Super Metroid. I would merely say it's inspired.
I would say the same of Garshasp and God of War.

What I call a rip-off is The Ville or Dream Heights.

It's the same way people don't say Doom-clones or Street Fighter-clones any more. Surface comparisons are just bad in general.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I have to be honest, I can't believe people are even really paying attention to the game. It just feels like a joke game. I am head asplode.

Look at Cole's super and tell me it isn't Superbot completely and utterly ripping off Snake's FS.

But let me guess, it's a coincidence?

I mean come on guys, there's only so many different ideas you can do for a game like this.
Yes it's inspired by SSB (Superbot even said it themselves!!!) but to judge it based on supers when each character has 3 distinct ones - the ideas can run a little short.

The game plays differently, and if you go into it with a SSB mindset you will get your ass kicked. Handily. I'm a big SSB player since N64 and this plays differently. It's more like those TMNT smash inspired games but A LOT better.

Nibel

Nobody talks about the game being fun or not being fun; maybe it's the GOTY? I don't know, I haven't played it.

But you must live in denial if you really think that it isn't a ripoff.

antonz

The PSABR team have multiple wiiand Smash Bros setup to play in the office. I dont think they will challenge anyone on the degree they are blatantly copying.

I still stand by the fact its a poor idea because they just dont have the roster for the style of game and are going to be forced to bloat it up with multiplatform game characters that sell better on other systems.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Samus's Final Smash is a ripoff of Ryu's Shinku Hadoken from the vs. series. Coincidence?

Actually the concept of a wave cannon sourced from a gun predates Ryu, and of course there's Kamehameha :p

I mean come on guys, there's only so many different ideas you can do for a game like this.
Yes it's inspired by SSB (Superbot even said it themselves!!!) but to judge it based on supers when each character has 3 distinct ones - the ideas can run a little short.

The game plays differently, and if you go into it with a SSB mindset you will get your ass kicked. Handily. I'm a big SSB player since N64 and this plays differently. It's more like those TMNT smash inspired games but A LOT better.

The "uniqueness" of getting points still bothers me though. Compare to say, Dream TV, where keeping yourself alive by collecting hearts stolen from enemies feels much more active while at the same time not relying on "supers".

1 - It's not. People are playing the beta.
2 - Kind of insulting to the developer making the game. Being inspired and a rip off is completely different.

Okay, so because it diverges here and there it isn't or wasn't the product of looking at SSB now? What? It's a god damned [insert word of choice here]. I'm not saying Sony shouldn't do it or be kept from doing so, unless compelled by the court, but let's be fucking honest already.

I have to be honest, I can't believe people are even really paying attention to the game. It just feels like a joke game. I am head asplode.

Yea, did you play that Little Big Planet cart game (i was in the beta)? Damn it is so awful, shitty frame rate, crap driving mechanics....sometimes I wonder what Yoshida and Sony are doing.

Can't say I particularly care about this. Understandable if he doesn't like clones, though it's kind of par for the course for the industry, and so long as the clone is good I don't personally mind. Hope this doesn't turn into some sort of weird Internet controversy, because that would be really stupid.

I still stand by the fact its a poor idea because they just dont have the roster for the style of game and are going to be forced to bloat it up with multiplatform game characters that sell better on other systems.

Smash also has a pretty random roster, but at least they mostly just don't copy the characters 1:1 but also give them a certain style that fits for everyone of them as a whole. Jump Stars did the same. This looks as awkward as many probably have imagined a Sony Smash, seems like not too much thought was put behind it as of now.

Boss Doggie

Well there ya go, everyone's ripping off Toriyama. As a DBZ fan, that's disgusting. He should sue.

Eww DBZ fan. Go be a DB fan. :p

Smash also has a pretty random roster, but at least they mostly just don't copy the characters 1:1 but also give them a certain style that fits for everyone of them as a whole. Jump Stars did the same. This looks as awkward as many probably have imagined a Sony Smash, seems like not too much thought was put behind it as of now.

Ahh right, forgot about Jump SS. That's another good 2d arena fighter.

All this thread just makes me angry that Japan doesn't bring the genre overseas.

Zia

Yea, did you play that Little Big Planet cart game (i was in the beta)? Damn it is so awful, shitty frame rate, crap driving mechanics....sometimes I wonder what Yoshida and Sony are doing.

In this game's defense, its beta is not nearly as bad as that one. Was an unbelievably un-fun mess.

Okay, so because it diverges here and there it isn't or wasn't the product of looking at SSB now? What? It's a god damned [insert word of choice here]. I'm not saying Sony shouldn't do it or be kept from doing so, unless compelled by the court, but let's be fucking honest already.

Don't bother. He's in deep.

Well there ya go, everyone's ripping off Toriyama. As a DBZ fan, that's disgusting. He should sue.

Everyone ripping off Toriyama actually is a big problem in manga today!

I really like this one new manga called Sensei no Bulge (english name is Barrage), but one of the biggest complaints about it is that it's like a mix of Gurren Lagann/Dragonball and that's turning people off.

Boss Doggie

I really like this one new manga called Sensei no Bulge (english name is Barrage), but one of the biggest complaints about it is that it's like a mix of Gurren Lagann/Dragonball and that's turning people off.

Well no wonder, it has Gurren shit in it.

Lol Kamiya is awesome!
Hmm, I need to get a demo to find out if it's better than smash...

Makes you wonder how people are playing it (i.e. not testing it) to say they love it even though it's not released.

Actually the concept of a wave cannon sourced from a gun predates Ryu, and of course there's Kamehameha :p

The "uniqueness" of getting points still bothers me though. Compare to say, Dream TV, where keeping yourself alive by collecting hearts stolen from enemies feels much more active while at the same time not relying on "supers".

I was iffy about the supers only at first up until I played the game. Then it all clicked. Waiting for that sweet sweet moment to knock out as many people as possible with the lowest super you have - it's beautiful. That grind to LVL 3 where you become the death bringer is nothing I've experienced in SSB. Really, it's fun. If you go ahead and look/play it and TRY, TRYYYY not to compare it to SSB it's awesome as hell.

V_Ben

Banned
It's a bloody good time when you're playing it, but I'd be lying if I said it wasn't distinctly inspired by smash brothers. But then again, I think that competition is encouraging. I mean, imagine Smash Brothers with a competent online mode. All Stars' Online is already great at this beta stage. So, it's a game done with knowledge of the only other successful entry in the genre, and it's clearly done by people who, within aggravating legal standings, have clearly got some kind of reverence to PlayStation's history. To call it a rip-off is to lump it in with products by companies like Gameloft, and its clearly better than that.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
In a random yet morbid hilarity, wasn't a Wii connected to a PC found during one of the development pics?

Connected to a Monitor, if they didn't play the SSB games when making a game heavily inspired by the series I would be worried.

Developers play games themselves, they also play other games in the same genre they are making to see how they could improve their own, and it would be foolish to ignore all the mechanic development that other games have already gone through when making your own.

Do people think that Naughty Dog didn't play and completly ignored Gears before Uncharted came out, or that Turn 10 had never looked at or played a Gran Turismo or something?

denshuu

I honestly don't even mind if it's a ripoff. Sega All-Stars Racing is a blatant ripoff of Mario Kart. It's also the best kart racer since CTR, so it doesn't really bother me. No need to pretend it isn't a ripoff though.

Plywood

NeoGAF's smiling token!
Perhaps he means that developers should make the games they want to make and not appease fans with games which are conceived as X ripoff of another game. Definitely food for thought.

Perhaps he means that developers should make the games they want to make and not appease fans with games which are conceived as X ripoff of another game. Definitely food for thought.

If they wanted to appease many fans, there would have been a ring out system in the game. Then again, people would hate on the game even more.

I really like this one new manga called Sensei no Bulge (english name is Barrage), but one of the biggest complains about it is that it's like a mix of Gurren Lagann/Dragonball and that's turning people off.

It's hard to stay original these days, I guess. :| I feel that way when I hear covers in music and they change it in such a way that the essence of the original track is lost in the process. It was a while ago (2001 I think), but Alien Ant Farm covering Smooth Criminal was one of those examples.

Every shooter is a ripoff of the first shooter while we're at it.

This is one of the interesting differences between Japanese and Western development. Cribbing influence in western games isn't seen as a bad thing - you take what's big, you improve on it, and you hopefully become the new standard-bearer. In Japan, they inefficiently try to reinvent the wheel each time and it costs both creativity and polish time during development.

The rise of UE3 in the west can be considered a direct reason for this, too.

Rorschach

Game seems boring to me. All hitting people does is build meter. It doesn't hurt the other players unless you use a super. It's lots of aimless mashing from the gameplay videos I've seen.

Pranay

Well no wonder, it has Gurren shit in it.

Makes you wonder how people are playing it (i.e. not testing it) to say they love it even though it's not released.

Please head over to the beta thread then :) Its a limited beta however.

People have been playing for a week or so and discussion every gameplay element/moves of the available characters and also have described how good and different the game is.

w0eWm.png

When was this screencap taken?* If you look at any video on the Playstation channel they always have a ton of superfluous tags (e.g http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tdm2n_w9BzI ) so this was either a photoshop or some guy who uploaded it trying to be funny. And in that case I'm not sure what it's supposed to prove.

*I should have known to look at the date in the corner.

7threst

Nobody talks about the game being fun or not being fun; maybe it's the GOTY? I don't know, I haven't played it.

But you must live in denial if you really think that it isn't a ripoff.

Basicly this.

It's like you are not allowed to enjoy games that are rip-offs or something.

ASIS

It is a rip off, but not a shameless one. So I don't see anything wrong with it. In all honesty I think PSAS looks quite good.

Gorillaz

Game seems boring to me. All hitting people does is build meter. It doesn't hurt the other players unless you use a super. It's lots of aimless mashing from the gameplay videos I've seen.

The vids don't give it justice. It's actually pretty fun and hectic.

Tain

Smash Bros is a fairly unique game. I don't think that making a "ripoff" and trying to improve on it is a bad thing in the slightest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom