• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.
It's a copy conceptually, but yes, it plays completely differently. Coming from someone who has play it himself.

And it's fun. That is all.

No idea why people are so mad at such a thing. If there were 20 more copies, then people would be less mad, why?

The people that have played it are saying that it's inspired by SSB while the people that haven't are calling it a ripoff with minor differences.
This is exactly what I thought, so it is basically a bunch of misinformed rabble rabble from people who haven't touched it.

SykoTech

I honestly don't even mind if it's a ripoff. Sega All-Stars Racing is a blatant ripoff of Mario Kart. It's also the best kart racer since CTR, so it doesn't really bother me. No need to pretend it isn't a ripoff though.

Yeah, pretty much how I feel. And much like Crash Team Racing and Sega All-Stars Racing, PlayStation All-Stars is much better than the most recent game that it's ripping off. So it doesn't bother me much either. If anything, it's appreciated after how disappointing Brawl was.

This thread is a very amusing though.

I love how you criticize each and every thing related to Sony.

Anyways great way to dismiss any developer efforts, its far from being shameless

Aw, should I go through the other console makers' games and do a list? Would that make you feel better? Here: "Diddy Kong Racing was a rip-off of Mario Kart. So was Sega All-Stars."

1329700408166.gif

cedb5699_Popcorn.gif

ae2.gif

Thread needs more popcorn gifs. Fight little ones, fight!

Damn people really don't like when Nintendo games are copied. The last few pages have been hilarious.

Actually it's more people freaking out that people would even dare say the game was copied. People lashing out at Kamiya for ripping off his own series is the funniest part of this thread.

One game 3 years after the last installment of the series it's "ripping off?" It's just silly.

It's not like ripping off has to be a bad thing.

Duffyside

Banned
Or not, since I've participated in the beta and think it uninspired crap.

BUT IT PLAYS COMPLETELY DIFFERENTLY! Like, most fighting games involve charge attacks and half-circles and stuff, but this game keeps it simple, man; you only have to push one direction -- up, left- right, or down -- or stay completely neutral and that's how you attack! It's genius.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Actually it's more people freaking out that people would even dare say the game was copied. People lashing out at Kamiya for ripping off his own series is the funniest part of this thread.

Yeah this. IIRC people were even rejoicing that it was a ripoff back before its existence was unveiled.

Or not, since I've participated in the beta and think it uninspired crap.

And you're in the minority on that feeling. But whatever you feel is alright, you have your opinion like everybody else. =D

Yeah this. IIRC people were even rejoicing that it was a ripoff back before its existence was unveiled.

Admittedly I wanted it to play pretty much like Brawl when it was first announced (like october?) but now that I've seen how they've changed it I can't complain.

Cipherr

Damn people really don't like when Nintendo games are copied. The last few pages have been hilarious.

I dont really see it that way. I think people dont like this game being called a conceptual copy of Smash Brothers when it obviously is. I dont remember a million threads for Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing, Sega Allstars, or Segas Mascot tennis games or any of those. So Im not so sure the 'loldefensiveNtards' card works here. It seems like what drove the original thread on this, and this one also is people that dont want to cede that the game draws HEAVILY from Smash.

Ripoffs are games too!

And they can be fun!

Nobody said this game can't be fun, the white knights showing up is a little confusing. The whole fighting game genre is a "rip-off" fest, I'm not sure why this game is off limits. If Kamiya chooses not to like it on that basis alone, he's entitled to that opinion, especially considering his resume.

Beth Cyra

Just saying right now,anti one who calls P 100 a rip off of Pikmin is worse then everyone who says Kamiya=Vanquish or Mikami=Bayo.

Day 48:

We haven't left the tunnels in something like two weeks. It's hard to keep track of time in the darkness, your internal rhythms get all fucked up. Doc explained it to us.

Peter ran out the lock a few days ago. It was hard to see because the daylight blinded us when he flung open the hinges. All we saw was SuperBot grabbing him before the rest of the men crammed the door shut. His sister cried in the vestibule for hours. The next morning she told us that she heard Peter asking us to come out. She was desperate. We had to sedate her. She wouldn't listen to us, wouldn't accept that he wasn't Peter anymore. He was "Pietr." He was one of them now. A Ripoff.

God help us all.

I respect the man for stating his opinion, but until he makes his next action game in the vein of DMC or bayo, I don't think I care what he is saying or doing.

that said PlayStation all-stars is of no interest to me either. I don't like smash and I won't like this, doubly so now dino is in it.

I dont really see it that way. I think people dont like this game being called a conceptual copy of Smash Brothers when it obviously is. I dont remember a million threads for Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing, Sega Allstars, or Segas Mascot tennis games or any of those. So Im not so sure the 'loldefensiveNtards' card works here. It seems like what drove the original thread on this, and this one also is people that dont want to cede that the game draws HEAVILY from Smash.

It's an axiom that it draws heavily from Smash. It seems people are taking umbrage that the game is being dismissed as a "ripoff."

Pseudo_Sam

Survives without air, food, or water
The game is very clearly a rip. It's so painfully obvious that it's a rip, I'm honestly baffled this is even a discussion. 2D brawler, same vantage, near identical gameplay fundamentals, and perhaps most absurd of all, both are mascot brawlers. They tagged their own youtube video with smash for fucks sake. They're inviting the comparison. It's not some secret, guys. PASBR is Sony's Smash, that's what it was conceived as, that's what it's marketed as, that's what it is.

Now, whether or not that matters to you is an entirely different question.

Satchel

Banned
It's obviously a rip off, but that shouldn't be his reason for not liking it should it? Otherwise he shouldn't like most games.

I know All Stars is more blatant than most, but still.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
Pretty much yeah, although if someone says X game is clearly copying X game you dont usually get so much pushback. In the case of this game, the copying of the concept is obvious as shit, but you have this vocal set of folks who absolutely refuse to cede that its there, and aggressively attack anyone who dares mention it. That is what fuels these conversations.

Who is doing that? Everyone I see here is saying yeah the concept started with smash bros, but they made it different enough to not say its morally despicable like some people are saying.

Alexios

Banned
He's right, I don't get why there's such backlash. Sony could have done a 4 player mascot brawler with their own characters and its own unique feel but they just decided to make a Smash Bros with their own characters. It's pretty sad to see all those familiar elements, altered or not. The platforms, the moves knocking characters off the levels with players trying to get them back on, etc, it's quite a distinct feel, whether they alter it or not, as the various sequels do that themselves anyway, it's not that major. Of course it happens all the time in this industry, that's not going to suddenly make people in the know who realize it praise it and it's not exactly as prominent and hard hitting when some nobody indie rips off a flash game on iOS.

Most of the time you can tell when something is merely inspired by another product versus ripping it off then changing things here and there. Cave Story doesn't look or play like a mere Super Metroid reskin with deliberate changes done just to avoid trouble, while The Great Giana Sisters (the original, obviously) does seem like a rather dodgy Super Mario Bros. reskin which was rightfully banned from sale. I'm not saying this game is as bad as the latter, but yeah, all the backlash reminds me of the people saying Move is so very different. There have been other 4 player brawlers that, good or bad, didn't look anything like Smash, like Power Stone and Thrill Kill. There have also been other rip offs like that TMNT one but I guess some people expect better from Sony than Ubisoft's low budget licensed shovelware (even if they hired devs involved with Smash, iirc) while others are fine with that.

PS: I'm not even a fan of Super Smash Bros., I only actually own Brawl yet have barely played it, nothing makes Sony's efforts look more appealing either (naturally, since not even the strength of Nintendo's IP could get me to like this sort of game).

lol

Glorious Comments.
Trollol.

evolution

It's not like ripping off has to be a bad thing.
I just figured most people were over it months ago.

JABEE

Just saying right now,anti one who calls P 100 a rip off of Pikmin is worse then everyone who says Kamiya=Vanquish or Mikami=Bayo.
I don't think anyone would say that. I think the point being made is if you judge a lot of games on their surface you could say this is a rip off of this game. From what I've played of the demo, that surface level feeling of them just trying to copy Smash is wrong.

DR2K

Banned
Well yeah it's a rip off, who would argue otherwise? It's clearly an answer to Smash Bros for Sony. Doesn't mean it can't be better than Smash or a good game though. I can understand as someone who creates games would look down upon it as being derivitave more so than buyers.

Pranay

The game is very clearly a rip. It's so painfully obvious that it's a rip, I'm honestly baffled this is even a discussion. 2D brawler, same vantage, near identical gameplay fundamentals, and perhaps most absurd of all, both are mascot brawlers. They tagged their own youtube video with smash for fucks sake. They're inviting the comparison. It's not some secret, guys. PASBR is Sony's Smash, that's what it was conceived as, that's what it's marketed as, that's what it is.

Now, whether or not that matters to you is an entirely different question.

He's right, I don't get why there's such backlash. Sony could have done a 4 player mascot brawler with their own characters and its own unique feel but they just decided to make a Smash Bros with their own characters and it shows. It's pretty sad. Sure, it happens all the time in this industry, that's not going to suddenly make people in the know who realize it praise it, and it's not exactly as prominent and hard hitting when some nobody indie rips off a flash game on iOS...

lol

Glorious Comments.

Drago

He's right, I don't get why there's such backlash. Sony could have done a 4 player mascot brawler with their own characters and its own unique feel but they just decided to make a Smash Bros with their own characters and it shows.
It does have a unique feel

Just go look at impressions in the beta thread... it looks similar but plays different

Gartooth

I have a lot of respect for Kamiya because of his contributions to video games, and I have to agree with him here. Yeah, I'm looking forward to playing PSABR myself and I think it will be a fun game, but it surely isn't the most original game out there right now. (Kamiya may also be salty Dino got in the game)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom