• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

remist

I dont really see it that way. I think people dont like this game being called a conceptual copy of Smash Brothers when it obviously is. I dont remember a million threads for Diddy Kong Racing, Crash Team Racing, Sega Allstars, or Segas Mascot tennis games or any of those. So Im not so sure the 'loldefensiveNtards' card works here. It seems like what drove the original thread on this, and this one also is people that dont want to cede that the game draws HEAVILY from Smash.

Except people(Kamiya) aren't just saying it copies certain concepts from smash brothers, they are saying it is a shameless immoral rip-off.

T

thepotatoman

Unconfirmed Member
It's obviously a rip off, but that shouldn't be his reason for not liking it should it? Otherwise he shouldn't like most games.

I know All Stars is more blatant than most, but still.

It's only blatant because, for some reason, Smash Bros has gone for 10 years without any of the "ripoffs" gaining any traction, until now.

It's obviously a rip off, but that shouldn't be his reason for not liking it should it? Otherwise he shouldn't like most games.

He might like it if he were to play it, but he probably feels it's not worth supporting due to it being too much of a riff on Smash

Things you enjoy can be unworthy of your support for other, non-qualitative reasons. This is like the Chick-Fil-A of video games

"CRASHING THIS THREAD. NO SURVIVORS!"

Who is doing that? Everyone I see here is saying yeah the concept started with smash bros, but they made it different enough to not say its morally despicable like some people are saying.

Not a single person is doing that. I haven't seen one. I myself admit it's inspired by SSB in almost every post in here. *shrugs*

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
No. Evangelion SSB was a ripoff.

Nah Evangelion was a Zambot ripoff :p

You guys should check out my Daitarn 3 thread. None of you guys go there :(

Who is doing that? Everyone I see here is saying yeah the concept started with smash bros, but they made it different enough to not say its morally despicable like some people are saying.

There are people in this thread denying it. Really, there's nothing wrong accepting the concepts being the same - it's the execution.

Beth Cyra

I don't think anyone would say that. I think the point being made is if you judge a lot of games on their surface you could say this is a rip off of this game. From what I've played of the demo, that surface level feeling of them just trying to copy Smash is wrong.
Bullshit.

There is nothing on the surface of P100 that is remotely similar to Pikmin outside of a group.

There are many, many surface level things between All Stars and it's even been pointed out that Sony hasn't been shy about it. It took all of .2 seconds for the Prez of Plat to shoot that shit down in an interview.

gaming_noob

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.

Satchel

Banned
It's only blatant because, for some reason, Smash Bros has gone for 10 years without any of the "ripoffs" gaining any traction, until now.

I guess.

XBLA has Small Arms which is basically smash bros with permanent weapons.

It's ok-ish, but it's clear it's a smash rip off. But most people ignore XBLA and PSN when referring to games.

Kusagari

This game is going to sell millions. It may even get the Wii crowd to jump in and skip the Wii U until more games are out on that console.

Sulu.gif

Gorillaz

I don't know about all that but I hope it lits a fire under Nintendo to knock the next Smash Bros out of the park.

I think it's because the word, "rip-off" is generally seen as a negative thing.

Correct rip off is usually a word used to take legal action for someone blatantly copying something and I think we can all agree (those that played it at least) there is a lot of differences here including how its even played to not be blatant copy in the literal sense of the word.

There's been a few. Hudson made one. Even had Snake, I believe.

The reason it is a big deal now is because it is another first party so everyone is upset when the influences are stated.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe

The reason it is a big deal now is because it is another first party so everyone is upset when the influences are stated.

Nah it's relatively found... but most of them are in Japan only :(

JABEE

Bullshit.

There is nothing on the surface of P100 that is remotely similar to Pikmin outside of a group.

There are many, many surface level things between All Stars and it's even been pointed out that Sony hasn't been shy about it. It took all of .2 seconds for the Prez of Plat to shoot that shit down in an interview.
That's a good point, but I think structured fighting games like Smash Brothers, PSABR, Street Fighter, MvsC follow many of the same surface level similarities as their peers. P-100 isn't a good example but almost any fighting game could be labeled as a "ripoff" if it applied to any game that used similar surface level interfaces.

Cipherr

There was also that ninja turtles game too right? I remember seeing that and going, "that looks like smash". I think some of the people that worked on smash worked on it.

More Kamiya being awesome:

pT1Oz.png

LOL goddamn. Zero fucks given. So folks are going to use this to paint Kamiya a Nintendo Shill eh? Man thats weird.

Mileena

Banned
That's a good point, but I think structured fighting games like Smash Brothers, PSABR, Street Fighter, MvsC follow many of the same surface level similarities as their peers. P-100 isn't a good example but almost any fighting game could be labeled as a "ripoff" if it applied to any game that used similar surface level interfaces.

yep, Skullgirls is so obviously a ripoff but it's made by Mike Z so nobody gave him shit for it.

The amount of fucks that Hideki gives is hilarious.
I respect the shit out of the man, even though I disagree on this one thing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom