• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

test_account

XP-39C²
Oh man you're right

How did no one bring this up before

You can't ripoff what you made.
Over-the-top game with big combos and pistols (was a joke).

lol. You did it on purpose, right?
Was joking :)

Anyway, i dont really care about this. It is one guy's opinion. If he think that it is a ripoff without having tried the game, then ok. It is obvious where the inspiration for the game is from, but that doesnt necessarily mean ripoff.

I can't wait for the deluge of complaints when a demo comes out and people bitch about how it doesn't play like Smash Bros after all this bullshit. This crap is only going to make the games reception even more negative because people are expecting it to actually be Smash Bros and it isn't. Instead of going in with an open mind people will just be turned off completely.

blixa

Banned
What did I saw was a fact?

Can you list five things in your house that are not copies of other ideas/concepts?

plenty, but i am not going to disclose my inspirations & interests to someone who has no clue or care, just to prove a point.
sorry if your life is just full of bland, mass-produced rubbish..

Regardless of any actual mechanical differences, it's impossible to tell PSASBR from SSB without playing it, which I think was the point. This is the generic off brand Smash Bros and there's nothing wrong with that. I prefer Kroger brand cereal to name brands. Key point: generic refers to being a knock off competitor and has nothing to do with quality.

I'm not Kamiya, but I'd guess his objection to PSASBR is that the 'idea' came from a board of directors somewhere, and not from the vision of a creator.

Chindogg

I have no idea why people think that they'll get a PR statement from Kamiya. He's the guy who told Itagaki to literally eat a dick for talking shit about Devil May Cry.

StuBurns

Banned
I don't know why, tons of games rip each other off, but this one does give me the creeps a little bit. Like Dante's Inferno/GoW style.

Forever

Banned
It presents a situation where you have to decide whether or not a game is worthwhile despite being very similar in concept.

Ignoring all of the essential context, namely the fact that he made the goddamn game, necessary to form an coherent thought on the subject.

No one is talking about "worthwhile". We're talking about "ripoffs" and your continued insistence that Kamiya somehow ripped himself off is just embarrassing. Feel free to continue to amuse from whichever planet you're on!

test_account

XP-39C²

Sianos

Thinking a bit more, I would "rank" NSMB2 a little higher than Playstation All-Stars because while NSMB2 isn't a very inspired sequel, it slightly refined Nintendo's own ideas rather than slightly refining upon someone else's ideas.

Still, this in no way hampers the quality of the game until you get to the stage of being clearly uninspired and being worse and less polished than the game you are almost identical to.

Ignoring all of the essential context, namely the fact that he made the goddamn game, necessary to form an coherent thought on the subject.

He made the game, he doesn't own the idea, he doesn't own the genre, he doesn't even own the IP (of both games).

He made the game, two awesome games, but it was his skill not only a "Sacred Idea" that only works if is yours.

No one is talking about "worthwhile". We're talking about "ripoffs" and your continued insistence that Kamiya somehow ripped himself off is just embarrassing. Feel free to continue to amuse from whichever planet you're on.

So nobody can do a platformer because they are not Shigeru Miyamoto and they not evolve the genre just rip off his ideas?

blixa

Banned
Ok. I sure wish you'd share this information with me though, since human advancement up until now has revolved around standing on the shoulders of those before us and taking old ideas and concepts and using them to create new ideas and concepts. It could provide a real breakthrough.

Question: Is art something that is 'bland and rubbish'?

Why do you think artistic movements exist?

considering your posts, you are the last person i would discuss art about.
don't even 'try' to go there, asking mundane, incoherent, non-related questions to seem intellectual.

Boss Man

PS All Stars does indeed look a lot like Smash Bros, but with one crucial difference; it actually looks fun to play.
While I don't know many people who don't find Smash Bros. to be fun, it's worth mentioning in this thread that if you don't like Smash Bros. you seriously may still enjoy PS All-Stars. Which kind of gets to the heart of what some of us are trying to argue: that they're different.

considering your posts, you are the last person i would discuss art about.
don't even 'try' to go there, asking mundane, incoherent, non-related questions to seem intellectual.
So it was art. :)

I did say 'almost', but the only reason I might exclude art is because of the profit point.

MisterHero

Amazing.

Well, as long as others are venting, I might as well try to sort out my grievances as well. Bear with me, as I don't plan on bothering the game's fans in its respective thread. :p

People were fine with the TMNT Smash Ripoff. This one just doesn't look that good and Sony should just cancel the game and have the developers work on something worthwhile instead of wasting their effort and time. They're having trouble comprehending what makes Smash Bros. good and are only ripping it off at a surface level.
No way. This goes for ShockingAlberto's comment as well, regarding "no one would care if it wasn't with 1st-party characters". I disagree, because a Smash Bros.-style game with non-1st-party characters DID disappoint me.

TMNT Smash-Up could've been awesome. The fighting was okay, but the arenas were generic and some of the characters felt generic. The presentation barely exists.

The TMNT were okay. 2k7 movie models were quality but looked average anyways.
Splinter was okay. If you liked that version.
Casey Jones was probably the really unique character that didn't have to be obligatory.
April is a ninja? Okay, if you liked that version I guess.
Karai. Who's she?
Is that Krang? No, it's an unnamed Utrom in a hulking mech body.
Shredder and Foot Solder were okay, but you know what might've made this game more fun?
Two slots left. Why not fill both with Rabbids.

If they were based on the old cartoon versions. Then, you'd have pizza-loving turtles, Silly Shredder, Bebop and Rocksteady, Krang, Baxter the Fly, Mondo Gecko, Usagi Yojimbo (cameo), and maybe a TV newsreporter April that hit people in the head with a camera.

You could have classic locations like Channel 6, or the turtles' lair, or Dimension X, Inside Giant Krang, etc.

The point is that even if you didn't prefer the 80s cartoon characters, they were arguably more charismatic and memorable than any other versions. They would be closer to what fans expect from a TMNT 25th anniversary game. Maybe throw in Mirage/Live Movie turtles as extra player models. Give 2K3 turtles a shout-out maybe
Classic >>>>>> 2K3 I said it yeaaah booiiiii

In the end, I've accepted the Turtles Forever movie as a small consolation prize. Even if they couldn't get the actual voice actors, they had decent facsimiles. Why not get them to work on that fanservice game from around the same time? Maybe Ubi ran out of money. :p

PSABR could be served well with Crash, Spyro, and Lara Croft. What happened to them-- oh wait, their creators ditched them.

What has been frustrating over the years of the Nintendo-Sony rivalry is how certain fans have been decrying Nintendo games as gimmicky, kiddy, etc. but when this game comes along, Nintendo's way of game-making is okay.

Where TMNT comes in, is the idea that this company could do ANYTHING they want as a love-letter to their games and their fans, and it's a Smash Bros. rip-off (superficially, at least). Like Smash-Up, it might be more of a disservice to their own legacy more than anything else.

You know what though? Even if PSASBR stinks (it probably won't), they could always make a different game. The great thing about videogames is that, given the opportunities and resources that Sony has, you can make anything. When you can do that, maybe you could make something that won't be so negatively percieved.

Anyways, sorry for the rambling. :p

I didn't mean no one would care about the game.

I meant no one would be visibly upset about someone disparaging it like here.
I meant the second one, but you're probably right. In the case of 3rd-party mascot games like VJ Red Hot Rumble, they either find players, or are doomed to apathy, skipping the stage for disparaging.

Most people have long forgotten that TMNT also had a Power Stone-style game. :p

Forever

Banned
In other news, I find it endlessly amusing that the other thread has now transformed exclusively into a support group for the butthurt to console each other after that smackdown from The King.

Also, I think the selection of third party characters shows Sony's hand re: intentions more than anything else. No Crash, Spyro, or Lara Croft in sight, yet we get a bunch of current gen marketing tools. Big Daddy, a non-character from a game with only tenuous relevance to the Playstation brand (include Big Daddy or we'll never start on Bioshock Vita)? Raiden over Snake, seriously? New Dante over classic? Presumably Lightning over Cloud?

A roster chosen to celebrate Playstation this was not.

Zen

Banned
Also, I think the selection of third party characters shows Sony's hand re: intentions more than anything else. No Crash, Spyro, or Lara Croft in sight, yet we get a bunch of current gen marketing tools. Big Daddy, a non-character from a game with only tenuous relevance to the Playstation brand (include Big Daddy or we'll never start on Bioshock Vita)? Raiden over Snake, seriously? New Dante over classic? Presumably Lightning over Cloud?

A roster chosen to celebrate Playstation this was not.

Old Dante will probably be an alternate, and they couldn't get Crash/Spyro due to Activision.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
And that nullifies the work and input of that developers? Because is "not their game"?

Surely it takes attention away from it.

This game would sell no matter what they did.

That's why it's being made.

Not everyone is in the same position of Kamiya.

You don't have to be. Look at skullgirls.

Probably doesn't pay as good though.

I also can see why others will disagree with the casual dismissal of their work.

Fair enough

Just wish more people would understand where the comment is coming from, like I understand where you're coming from, instead of raising an army to harass the guy on twitter about his personal views

No way. This goes for ShockingAlberto's comment as well, regarding "no one would care if it wasn't with 1st-party characters". I disagree, because a Smash Bros.-style game with non-1st-party characters DID disappoint me.

I didn't mean no one would care about the game.

I meant no one would be visibly upset about someone disparaging it like here.

In other news, I find it endlessly amusing that the other thread has now transformed exclusively into a support group for the butthurt to console each other after that smackdown from The King.

The Sony fans have taken a turn for the worse since they no longer reignconsole supreme. Does anybody remember the Killzone 2 threads? I guess this is Sonys big first party title for the fall so it makes sense for them to migrate there.

prwxv3

The Sony fans have taken a turn for the worse since no longer reigning console supreme. Does anybody remember the Killzone 2 threads? I guess this is Sonys big first party title for the fall so it makes sense for them to migrate there.

Holy shit this thread is just getting better and better.

StuBurns

Banned
The Sony fans have taken a turn for the worse since no longer reigning console supreme. Does anybody remember the Killzone 2 threads? I guess this is Sonys big first party title for the fall so it makes sense for them to migrate there.
I doubt that. If anything, a Sly 4 thread would be that. A game with legacy history, and a track record of quality.

I imagine people are actually excited about Sony Smash.

Ploid 3.0

I haven't read over the "butthurt" stuff (I just clicked on the thread to see the updates later) but it seems like you have a personal problem with this game. Using this picture of a doll, show me where it touched you.

Sackboy-Plush.png

Wow, some of those responses are douchebaggery. I understand that he's a bit frustrated, but telling someone he would punch them?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom