• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Quoted for new page:
I think of PlayStation All-Stars as more of a 'cover' of Super Smash Bros.

In the music world, lots of artists cover songs originally written and performed by other artists and end up creating something really great and different, putting their own unique twist and flavor to the song. Sometimes covers end up transcending and becoming greater and more famous than the original song as well.

Also if people are concerned enough to be angry about PSASBR why don't they just wait for it to bomb like they expect?

Doesn't it seem a bit silly when you realize that the people wwho have already decided it's going to be terrible are the same people who have no intention of ever playing it?

If this is what we can expect from this game before release. I can't even wait to read the reactions if the full game ends up being way better than Melee (fuck Brawl) or if the game ends up being a failure.

Either way, there will be thousands of people crying on the forums.

It will be soooo good.

Kade

Doesn't it seem a bit silly when you realize that the people wwho have already decided it's going to be terrible are the same people who have no intention of ever playing it?

I have no intention of reading Fifty Shades of Grey and I think its terrible.

I have no intention of listening to any Katy Perry albums and I think they're terrible.

People aren't conjuring opinions out of thin air. People think things are terrible or good based on years (sometimes decades) of experience and know what they'll dislike and what they'll like more than anyone else does. So no, it doesn't seem silly when people on a gaming enthusiast message board show displeasure when watching a video or viewing screenshots of a game. There definitely is a group of people who talk shit about the game just to piss others off but to assume that everyone who criticizes falls under that category is ridiculous.

Hopefully you're not under the assumption that people think it's objectively terrible. That would be hilarious.

If this is what we can expect from this game before release. I can't even wait to read the reactions if the full game ends up being way better than Melee (fuck Brawl) or if the game ends up being a failure.

Either way, there will be thousands of people crying on the forums.

It will be soooo good.
Better than melee? lol! Nothing cant touch that Masterpiece of a game.

njean777

That's so stupid, what we are talking about isn't all-star system we are talking about taking a game format and slap on your own game and say "I made this shit".

^^^^
powerglove-1.jpg

You dare question "Super Saint Lucas" ?

Did sony ever do this? I dont think they have... if they have then I have no clue about it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
I have no intention of reading Fifty Shades of Grey and I think its terrible.

I have no intention of listening to any Katy Perry albums and I think they're terrible.

People aren't conjuring opinions out of thin air. People think things are terrible or good based on years (sometimes decades) of experience and know what they'll dislike and what they'll like more than anyone else does. So no, it doesn't seem silly when people on a gaming enthusiast message board show displeasure when watching a video or viewing screenshots of a game. There definitely is a group of people who talk shit about the game just to piss others off but to assume that everyone who criticizes falls under that category is ridiculous.
The difference is those media examples you listed already exist. That being said I don't think everyone who is critical of the idea is a fan boy or trolling. There is genuine reason to dislike the idea of this game and what it represents.

But I also think everyone would be better suited to save their energy for when there are concrete aspects to exalt or critique. Kamiya is kind of being volatile just for the sake of it, when really he's just giving the game more attention than he thinks it deserves.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'm still wondering why having "big name FGC (tm)" people would make a game automatically better, especially considering how the mechanics are different than your typical fighting game. It baffles me why the fanboys of the game automatically use it as some form of medal.

SmithnCo

I'm still wondering why having "big name FGC (tm)" people would make a game automatically better, especially considering how the mechanics are different than your typical fighting game. It baffles me why the fanboys of the game automatically use it as some form of medal.

Their influence is definitely there. I have seen some awesome combos so far.

Zen

Banned

Talent is talent.

Honestly, why, as a consumer, would anyone be concerned with whether Playstation All Stars is a ripoff or not? If you loved Smash Bros., wouldn't you be happy that someone else was doing another game of the exact same/very similar style? The only thing I can think of is console warriors trying to score some points at the expense of the other side. Let Nintendo worry about the lawsuits, focus instead on playing the kinds of game you like [whether the logo on the box is Sony's or Nintendo's].

And if Playstation All Stars turns out to be a terrible ripoff, just don't play it.

SmithnCo

Combos are everywhere though.

Not in Brawl (lol).

There are definitely interesting FG mechanics in this even though it isn't your typical 1 on 1 fighter. Crumple states, hitstun, and hit confirms for supers. Having people that understand fighting games on the team certainly doesn't hurt.

Boss Doggie

Talent is talent.

Different talents though :p

Not in Brawl (lol).

There are definitely interesting FG mechanics in this even though it isn't your typical 1 on 1 fighter. Crumple states, hitstun, and hit confirms for supers. Having people that understand fighting games on the team certainly doesn't hurt.

Well Brawl is the problem, everyone knows that :p

And it's not like the other games of that series don't have them. Hell, even games from Ultimate Ninja, etc. have them. They're more of necessities nowadays.

Not saying that having them around is bad. It's just that people are touting it as if it's some second coming of Jesus.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
How has this thread gone on so long? Of course this game is a rip-off. It exists because of Smash Bros but all that matters is whether it's a decent piece of software, not whether they were right to copy another game.

I can understand to some extent valuing originality. However -- particularly when talking about game systems -- I don't think that it's really the end-all-be-all. Sure, it's great when some genuinely new and unique gameplay comes along that shakes things up, but clearly refinement of existing mechanics is also very important to furthering design principles. As such, I don't personally understand disdain for a competitor coming along and trying to beat something at its own game.

Either it fails and cements that the original is still king, or it sets the bar higher for all titles in the genre. It's certainly good from a consumer standpoint. And from a design standpoint -- short of lamenting after the fact if/when the "copy cat" game proves more successful and your contributions are forgotten -- I would think the old "imitation is the sincerest form of flattery" adage should preclude the sentiment that there can be only one.

evolution

Different talents though :p

Well Brawl is the problem, everyone knows that :p

And it's not like the other games of that series don't have them. Hell, even games from Ultimate Ninja, etc. have them. They're more of necessities nowadays.

Not saying that having them around is bad. It's just that people are touting it as if it's some second coming of Jesus.
People are just glad that they were able to get people on the team that clearly understand fighting games. They would be great assets to any dev team.

Playstation all stars may have a limited roster compared to SSBt I think the characters are more diverse, and will be much more fun to play.

You know what they say, quality over quantity

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1-character/1-IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.-

Urvan

Banned
Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1 character rule/1 IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.

Hey Sony fan***, stop talking shit on your creators, SSB. is the original, PSABR might be a good ripoff but stop saying it will be better, Sony characters don't have the charm Nintendo characters has. AND I'M DEAD SERIOUS HERE.

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1 character rule/1 IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.
False. They are all smash rip offs/ clones already.

Boss Doggie

People are just glad that they were able to get people on the team that clearly understand fighting games. They would be great assets to any dev team.

Oh I know, and it's good.

But what I love are the posts before, especially the ones that promote the FGC (tm).

meta4

I would not have minded this tweet that much if it was coming from a dev who actually backed what he was saying. Not only did he not play it to realize it plays nothing like Smash the fact that it is also coming from a dev who was all praises for the epic fail known as Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble and has the audacity to say what he did with a straight face is lol worthy.

Roto13

This thread never stops being hilarious.

Boss Doggie

Limited how? The way I see it, PASBR has a genuine advantage over SSB via its roster, which can realistically feature a cast of 30+ first-party fighters without having to resort to clones or secondary characters wasting space. I don't know whether Superbot are going to adhere to the 1-character/1-IP rule - it's hard to say right now if Evil Cole has his own slot or not - but it would really showcase the Playstation's diverse brand history if they do.-

What is the Smash cycle doing in here? I thought they only belong in Smash threads!

No it's wrong! you people live on by what we produce, you were born from a failed experiment that was made by Nintendo, you are like Frankenstein of gaming, you live on because Sony steal ideas from Nintendo and make it out like they never did, Super Smash bros is only the latest to the list, you did a Mario Clone, a Zelda Clone, Mario Kart clone (several),F-Zero clone,Fire Emblem Clone, you stole Final Fantasy, you stole every good franchise from Nintendo, Sony fans and developers are like Leeches on this industry, atleast be classy like Sega and Microsoft (that doesn't prove I like them either).

Tell me this is a joke or something.

PS: Oh, it's not the only gem he dropped.

Boss Doggie

I would not have minded this tweet that much if it was coming from a dev who actually backed what he was saying. Not only did he not play it to realize it plays nothing like Smash the fact that it is also coming from a dev who was all praises for the epic fail known as Viewtiful Joe Red Hot Rumble and has the audacity to say what he did with a straight face is lol worthy.

You do know it was Inaba who did that and not Kamiya, right?

Kacho

Gold Member

Heh.

Kade

Hey Sony fan***, stop talking shit on your creators, SSB. is the original, PSABR might be a good ripoff but stop saying it will be better, Sony characters don't have the charm Nintendo characters has. AND I'M DEAD SERIOUS HERE.

Stop posting.

Boss Doggie

If this gets archived, I'm happy that I manage to participate in one.
Oh of-course I know. But he did give his full backing for the idea. Never once said the things he is saying now. Pretty sad though that game was shit

Well of course he would, they're made by his colleagues. That doesn't really affect what he said though.

And I'd rather not pull a Godwin's Law.

ohlawd

Kamiya had nothing to do with that. So much for Kamiya failing huh?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom