• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Conceptually it does seem like a bit of a 'rip-off' but providing Sony haven't just purloined the gameplay wholesale and the game isn't garbage, I don't see an issue. I'm personally only mildly interested in buying it at the moment but if post-release impressions are good and it has solid online play, I'll probably pick it up.

You should check out the Beta thread. There is a lot of good information and write ups about the fundamentals of the game, coming from GAF users, and not fueled by the hype train. The thread is naturally full of people that are excited for a game like this, but why should that be a bad thing? I never got why it's so prevalent to shit on people that are genuinely excited about something that is not Nintendo branded.

I love Nintendo games (for the most part), and I love PlayStation games (again, for the most part). I'm excited for PBR, and I'm excited for a new Smash whenever it's officially announced.

As a PBR beta tester, I can say the game is a LOT of fun, and very different from Smash.

Endo Punk

Come on, man. You're really overreacting to the third-party selections. Yeah, we all have the ideal third-party roster in mind, but you gotta acknowledge the reality of dealing with third-parties in this situation. They don't have the final say in who third-parties let them use, so they're just trying to do the best they can.

They are not working for these 3rd party developers, if they refuse then Superbot should just leave it at that, after all there are PLENTY of characters in PlayStation exclusive stable to take from.

Everyone can see that 3rd party developers are taking advantage of this noob team, Superbot made a big mistake adding 3rd party characters for a brand new IP. There was no need for it and should have been left for the sequel because by then the IP would have been established and 3rd party developers would be more willing, but now it's just being used by them as a dumping ground for shit characters.

Endo Punk

Why? Because you like the Nintendo characters more?
It has more charm for you.
Yeah, I will believe you that ;)

I prefer PlayStation characters over Nintendo's and even I know it to be true, this game lacks charm and feels like a cash-in. Sony did not invest in it properly and I believe it's the 3rd party deals keeping this clusterfuck of a game alive. PlayStation All-Stars? Not even close.

Hyuga

Banned
They are not working for these 3rd party developers, if they refuse then Superbot should just leave it at that, after all there are PLENTY of characters in PlayStation exclusive stable to take from.

Everyone can see that 3rd party developers are taking advantage of this noob team, Superbot made a big mistake adding 3rd party characters for a brand new IP. There was no need for it and should have been left for the sequel because by then the IP would have been established and 3rd party developers would be more willing, but now it's just being used by them as a dumping ground for shit characters.

Superbot is a "Noob Team" now?
"No need for 3rd party characters"?
Dude, I don't know where to start!
Your anger meter reached max level, as it seems.

I prefer PlayStation characters over Nintendo's and even I know it to be true, this game lacks charm and feels like a cash-in. Sony did not invest in it properly and I believe it's the 3rd party deals keeping this clusterfuck of a game alive. PlayStation All-Stars? Not even close.
Cash-in? Not invest properly? Not even close?
Dude, it is a PlayStation All-Star party.
I see a lot of PS 1st Party stars in it and some 3rd party stars.
What's your problem? The "New Dante" thing? This drives you crazy?
It's the curent Dante. Deal with it!

Endo Punk

Cash-in? Not invest properly? Not even close?
Dude, it is a PlayStation All-Star party.
I see a lot of PS 1st Party stars in it and some 3rd party stars.
What's your problem? The "New Dante" thing? This drives you crazy?
It's the curent Dante. Deal with it!
I hate this kind of attitude from gamers, bend over and just accept defeat. Allowing developers to walk all over characters, games and genre's. And I thought Capcom fanbase was bad...

Hyuga

Banned
I hate this kind of attitude from gamers, bend over and just accept defeat. Allowing developers to walk all over characters, games and genre's. And I thought Capcom fanbase was bad...
;D! So it IS the Dante thing?
Dude, it's THEIR (Capcoms) new Dante!
Devil May Cry was a big star for the PlayStation (2) system.
So he's in PSASBR? Great! They get the current Dante.
Deal with it! Don't know what your problem is.
The "old" Dante is no more!

KevinCow

Banned

There are 4 third-party characters in a cast of at least 20. Do you really not realize how ridiculous statements like, "This game doesn't cater to fans, it only caters to third-party developers," and, "Third-party developers are taking advantage of this noob team," are?

You're ignoring the rest of the roster in your vitriolic rants about the third-party choices. If you ask me, the first-party lineup does a good job at hitting all the major franchises and representing the history of Playstation.

Drago

The third party franchises represented are fine and fitting/important to the PlayStation brand (except BioShock, arguably)

The characters represented from each franchise, however, are bad. Every single one of them is a promotion for a future game. That's the problem I have with it.

Plus, the two rumored ones not yet revealed, Connor and Lightning, are also promotions. It reeks of advertisement. I'm very satisfied with the 1st party selection, though

I also think the 3rd party selection beyond Heihachi is shit, but dude has a point about 1st parties and 2nd parties; would you say the game's character selections in that respect are bad? Considering how obvious the reasons behind Big Daddy, DINO and Raiden's inclusion are, I think it's remarkable Sir Daniel, Spike and PaRappa made it in instead of more playable-advertisements, and there's no 'obvious' omissions from the franchises Sony actually owns which I can immediately think of.

There are 4 third-party characters in a cast of at least 20. Do you really not realize how ridiculous statements like, "This game doesn't cater to fans, it only caters to third-party developers," and, "Third-party developers are taking advantage of this noob team," are?

You're ignoring the rest of the roster in your vitriolic rants about the third-party choices. If you ask me, the first-party lineup does a good job at hitting all the major franchises and representing the history of Playstation.

Bububu the last 2 are Connor and Lightning!

Endo Punk

4 is 4 too many. It's like a nice big stake dinner but small piece of shit on top. Would you still eat at the side knowing it's stinking up the whole stake?

Endo Punk

Why are they shit again?
I don't hate the character I just hate their inclusion in this game, it makes no sense and proves this game to be a tool and funded by 3rd party developers. Which also explains why it looks and plays cheap. Sony is not supporting as much as they would a SSM or ND game and 3rd party funding is not enough.

;D! So it IS the Dante thing?
Dude, it's THEIR (Capcoms) new Dante!
Devil May Cry was a big star for the PlayStation (2) system.
So he's in PSASBR? Great! They get the current Dante.
Deal with it! Don't know what your problem is.
The "old" Dante is no more!

Brawl had Toon Link, just saying :p

And out, this is one of the threads that are fairly amusing to read, but seem dangerous to post in... But I couldn't resist...

Endo Punk

The All-Stars formula has potential and I hope next time Sony puts effort and proper talent -people who understand PlayStation- behind the next game. I really don't want Superbot to return.

Brawl had Toon Link, just saying :p

And out, this is one of the threads that are fairly amusing to read, but seem dangerous to post in... But I couldn't resist...

I'm pretty sure he will have old Dante alt skin but some people think its not enough since it will be new Dantes voice and _personality_ in the story mode. I don't really feel its a problem tho.

Hyuga

Banned
I don't hate the character I just hate their inclusion in this game, it makes no sense and proves this game to be a tool and funded by 3rd party developers. Which also explains why it looks and plays cheap. Sony is not supporting as much as they would a SSM or ND game and 3rd party funding is not enough.
Funded by 3rd party?
Looks and PLAYS cheap?
Sony not supporting it enough?
Dude, you're simply hating the game for whatever reason which doesn't even make sense.
You know nothing about Sony's PSASBR support, how many $ they will spend, etc.
So don't make up some stories here, just to shit on the game.
Really, ... wtf?!
It's already a great game and it's just the BETA.
People like it!
You don't? Well, that's your opinion, dude.
Don't speak for others!

KevinCow

Banned
4 is 4 too many. It's like a nice big stake dinner but small piece of shit on top. Would you still eat at the side knowing it's stinking up the whole stake?

Stake? Really? Steak.

And I don't agree with that metaphor at all. You could put my least favorite character from my least favorite game in here, and it wouldn't ruin the other characters that I like.

To use a more specific example, I think the Metal Gear Solid series is complete garbage and Snake is a stupid character, and neither had any business being represented in a game about Nintendo all-stars. But it didn't bother me at all that he was in Brawl. It didn't ruin the characters I enjoyed playing as, and despite my feelings about the character and his games, I was able to appreciate the interesting and unique play style he brought to the game.

Endo Punk

So PSBR fans don't like stakes?

stake1.jpg

Explains how Superbot has brainwashed you.

Well anyway I totally agree with Kamiya and hope this shit bombs so Naughty Dog or SCEJ can do justice to the IP next time.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
So PSBR fans don't like stakes?

stake1.jpg

Explains how Superbot has brainwashed you.

Well anyway I totally agree with Kamiya and hope this shit bombs so Naughty Dog or SCEJ can do justice to the IP next time.

You want a game to actually bomb? And who's brainwashed again?

Endo Punk

We should just have Naughty Dog make every game!
A PlayStation All-Stars game really should have been a collaboration effort with Naughty Dog, SSM, Suckerpunch and SCEJ :( But we got reject Supershit studio who are promoting 3rd party characters in a game disguised to be for the PS fans, Im in pain just thinking about it,

A PlayStation All-Stars game really should have been a collaboration effort with Naughty Dog, SSM, Suckerpunch and SCEJ :( But we got reject Supershit studio who are promoting 3rd party characters in a game disguised to be for the PS fans, Im in pain just thinking about it,

And people here look down on gamefaqs? Christ on a bike

Hyuga

Banned
You think Superbot is is in charge of all this? Superbot alone?
.... ;D!

Endo Punk

God I feel better vetting my agression :) It took time but Im over DMC and that franchise is forever behind me, and now I can say the same thing about PlayStation All-Stars. I only hate with great passion to the games I truly cared about, this was one of them :( Well great thing about the games industry is if one game is out another awesome title will take it's place.

I really don't have any ill-will against Superbot and wish them best of luck though I definitely will no longer be supporting it. I hope the game is everything you want guys.

Terrell

I'm sorry, but... we're still arguing that it's not a blatant wholesale derivative of Smash Bros? Did everyone else miss the screen cap in the OP where even SONY didn't disagree?

I'm sorry, but... we're still arguing that it's not a blatant wholesale derivative of Smash Bros? Did everyone else miss the screen cap in the OP where even SONY didn't disagree?
who denies this wasn't inspired by ssb making mash up mascot fighters popular

Drago

you just HAD to bump this to say that

This thread will never die

Tellaerin

The All-Stars formula has potential and I hope next time Sony puts effort and proper talent -people who understand PlayStation- behind the next game. I really don't want Superbot to return.

Third-party exclusives helped define the identity of the Playstation brand to a much greater extent than Sega or Nintendo platforms. Including a nod to that in the form of some prominent third party characters is pretty much a must for a game that calls itself 'Playstation All-Stars'. A person who understands PlayStation would know this. :p

That business about the game being a 'tool' and 'funded by 3rd party developers' is pretty out there, too. Do you honestly believe the development of the game is being underwritten by the inclusion of a handful of third-party characters? Seriously? Come on, man, that's crazy talk. I can understand you being disappointed that your developer of choice wasn't put on this project, but that's no reason to go off the deep end.

Kinda on the topic: as I allready said once I don't agree on the game being a ripoff but I've been thinking. English is not my first language (third in fact depending how you look at things) and ripoff as a word would mean way more than what SSB->All Stars is, but maybe I'm wrong. Some people are saying things like ''it's a ripoff but it doesn't matter if its good'' and stuff. The way I think about word ripoff could never be used on a positive note. Even copy sounds a bit wrong since the game is in fact not a direct copy, but I wouldn't know if the word could be still used. The game certainly copies things from SSB but the game itself is far from what I would concider a copy of the game.

Now the word that pops in my mind is ''heavy inspiration'' but some seem to think that would be too mild for this game or even think ripoff=heavy inspiration. Still to my mind those two sound completely different as heavy inspiration could be used both positively and negatively depending where people stand but ripoff only when talking negatively. Before this thread I would have almost though that ''it's a ripoff and theres nothing wrong with it'' would be an oxymoron.

Well you learn something new every day. I hope this post makes at least some sense lol.

The team is made up of people from those studios.

Also Heihachi may be 3rd party but is thought of as 1st party since tekken was originally exclusive to PS1.

Not_sure_if_serious.jpg

Kinda on the topic: as I allready said once I don't agree on the game being a ripoff but I've been thinking. English is not my first language (third in fact depending how you look at things) and ripoff as a word would mean way more than what SSB->All Stars is, but maybe I'm wrong. Some people are saying things like ''it's a ripoff but it doesn't matter if its good'' and stuff. The way I think about word ripoff could never be used on a positive note. Even copy sounds a bit wrong since the game is in fact not a direct copy, but I wouldn't know if the word could be still used. The game certainly copies things from SSB but the game itself is far from what I would concider a copy of the game.

Now the word that pops in my mind is ''heavy inspiration'' but some seem to think that would be too mild for this game or even think ripoff=heavy inspiration. Still to my mind those two sound completely different as heavy inspiration could be used both positively and negatively depending where people stand but ripoff only when talking negatively. Before this thread I would have almost though that ''it's a ripoff and theres nothing wrong with it'' would be an oxymoron.

Well you learn something new every day. I hope this post makes at least some sense lol.
My whole problem with the "copy" accusations is that for some reason besides the looks I can't see how where else in the game does it copy from smash. Only thing that's similar to smash is the concept and looks and a few things like Dodging, items and the aesthetics.

When I think of Tekken I think of playstation. Heihachi(the one in the game) is from the old Tekken games which were exclusive to PS1/PS2. He's technically 3rd party now but still is playstation derived if that makes sense.

Same thing with Crash, he's been on Xbox and Nintendo now but people see Crash as a playstation mascot.

When I think of Tekken I think of playstation. Heihachi(the one in the game) is from the old Tekken games which were exclusive to PS1/PS2. He's technically 3rd party now but still is playstation derived if that makes sense.

Same thing with Crash, he's been on Xbox and Nintendo now but people see Crash as a playstation mascot.

Well sure, same for me but I still don't think them as 1st party for a second :D.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
You'd think people have never seen youtube tags that reference similar material to snag possibly interested people.

If some folks are looking up Smash stuff, and some PBR stuff pops up, who knows, maybe they'll give it a look or ignore it. It seems like this is being blown out of proportion because it's Sony, and it's just oh so hilarious to mock Sony every chance they get.

I feel really bad for SuperBot, because they've made a genuinely interesting and fun game, especially for fans of PlayStation, and it's being shit on by people that just can't get over the fact that Nintendo no longer has some kind of "lockdown" on crossover fighters (as if they ever did).

I like the idea that there are multiple games in the same genre. It's how a genre grows.

Smash is great. PBR is shaping up to be great as well. This isn't hurting anybody, but man, you'd think someone barged into Nintendo headquarters and shot Miyamoto in the face.

PBR exists, and yes, it is inspired by Smash, and games like Smash, no one is denying that. It seems to me that the only people that are upset about it are some diehard Nintendo fanboys. Most PlayStation fans that WANTED a game like this are pleased as punch.

I know that, personally, as a big fan of Smash Bros, I've wanted a PlayStation equivalent for a long time, but what I'm really relieved about, is that the game isn't a 1:1 Smash copy, because, well, I guess it really didn't matter in the end, because the shitstorm of the game's mere existence rendered my hope that people wouldn't get butthurt over it moot.

But many of you in this thread have made up your mind. Fine. No problems there. It's just a shame that you were all so closed minded about a genuinely fun game. It's not the end of the world, though.

Enjoy the new Smash Bros when it comes out. I know I will. I'll also be enjoying PBR in the meantime.

Tellaerin

I think your english - particularly your use of the word 'ripoff' - is far better than some of the native speakers in this thread. :p

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom