• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

VICI0US

Third-party exclusives helped define the identity of the Playstation brand to a much greater extent than Sega or Nintendo platforms. Including a nod to that in the form of some prominent third party characters is pretty much a must for a game that calls itself 'Playstation All-Stars'. A person who understands PlayStation would know this. :p

Everyone knows that playstation was built on the back of third parties. That's not big secret and we all expected a third party showing. it's their choice of third party character's that's baffling. Big Daddy is not a character anyone at all associates with playstation, I mean, heck the first bioshock released for playstation months after every other platform.

And the final fantasy representative for this game is, ironically, from the first final fantasy game to go multiplatform away from the playstation.

When most think of third party "playstation all stars" they think of crash, spyro, lara craft, jill valentine/chris redfield, cloud/sephiroth, snake, etc. While expecting all of these characters might be a bit unreasonable, you think sony would've ensured at least some of these truly "all star" caliber characters were guaranteed to be available for the game.

A game like this is almost as much about fan service as it is about the gameplay itself, and sony is doing a very poor job of the former.

Tellaerin

Everyone knows that playstation was built on the back of third parties. That's not big secret and we all expected a third party showing. it's their choice of third party character's that's baffling. Big Daddy is not a character anyone at all associates with playstation, I mean, heck the first bioshock released for playstation months after every other platform.

And the final fantasy representative for this game is, ironically, from the first final fantasy game to go multiplatform away from the playstation.

When most think of third party "playstation all stars" they think of crash, spyro, lara craft, jill valentine/chris redfield, cloud/sephiroth, snake, etc. While expecting all of these characters might be a bit unreasonable, you think sony would've ensured at least some of these truly "all star" caliber characters were guaranteed to be available for the game.

A game like this is almost as much about fan service as it is about the gameplay itself, and sony is doing a very poor job of the former.

Now those are fair points. I just hope there are some as-yet-unrevealed surprises in store when it comes to the roster.

My whole problem with the "copy" accusations is that for some reason besides the looks I can't see how where else in the game does it copy from smash. Only thing that's similar to smash is the concept and looks and a few things like Dodging, items and the aesthetics.

Really? You can't really see how similar this game is to Smash? I'm even hoping they include a ring-out mode of some sorts.

I somewhat agree. I kinda even feel sorry for Superbot if they have tried as hard to get few of the big ones as I hope lol. Still I must not lose hope since the full roster is not known and if they could score dat last roster spot for Crash it would go a long way. Still my prediction is that the roster size is 22 and Lightning is indeed one of them as rumoured and the last one would be Connor from AC3 (tho if Evil Cole is 100% separate character from Cole then I wouldn't count Snake out yet either since he wasn't listed as Raidens ''minion'' in the leak and we know he should be in the game in some form). For the Big Daddy issue he was actually asked for Superbot to add in and I don't see problem in that. Hes a pretty cool character.

I'm no expert in company politics but I think biggest reason some characters are not in is because the game has not proven itself yet either in sales or critical reception. If it sells well I hope some of the bigger names will be greenlighted as DLC and/or added for real for a sequel.

I'm happy tho for the 1st party representation. Pretty much everything is fine on that front for me tho some people REALLLY want Kat and/or Wander :D.

Ploid 3.0

I had no hopes in having big important 3rd party characters in this. That stuff would be so expensive to buy out. One character usually sells products. Being able to put Cloud, Lara, Snake, etc face on a cover would gain the game so many sells. With that comes a huge price on said characters heads, some might even not want to accept any offer because of whatever reason. I think they are in a position where they have to take what they can get with 3rd party.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
It's not SuperBot's decision in the end.

The third parties control their IPs. We can kick and moan and whine and cry about why Dante, Cloud, Lara, Crash, and Spyro aren't in the game, but why not point the finger at Capcom, Square, Eidos, and Activision?

If they wanted too much money for those characters to show up in the game, I can understand why Sony wouldn't go for them. This is a new, unproven IP, and there's no guarantee that the inclusion of the above would somehow boost this game to a 20 million unit seller.

It's fanservice, in the end. There is plenty of PlayStation fanservice if you are a long time PlayStation fan.

I agree that the franchises above were instrumental in the success of the PlayStation. There is no denying that.

But you know what? I have equally fond memories of the first time I fired up Twisted Metal, Warhawk (PS1), Alundra, God of War, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Dark Cloud, The Mark of Kri, WildARMS, Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, inFAMOUS, Heavenly Sword (love that game, dammit), Patapon, Loco Roco, Syphon Filter, Ape Escape, etc, etc.

For me, those games equally defined PlayStation. So, to have those games represented in PBR in some fashion (Levels, characters, items, etc) is a thrill for me.

Would I love to have Snake, Cloud, Lara, Sora, Crash, Spyro, Chris or Jill, and Dante in the game? Sure, of course, that'd be awesome. Their lack of inclusion doesn't diminish my fanboy nostalgia and squeeing when I see PBR in action, or think of the roster or levels, or game modes.

As a long time Nintendo fan and PlayStation fan, I find it terribly perplexing that some of you Nintendo fans, of all people, would have a hard time understanding why a game like this would excite PlayStation fans.

I get giddy thinking about Smash Bros Melee and that awesome trailer for it and Brawl. I got pumped watching the EVO reveal trailer of PBR, and seeing characters like Jak and Daxter and Cole drop down into the screen, followed by a montage of their game play.

As someone who has played All Stars, and thinks its incredibly fun, it saddens me to see such rage directed at a harmless game that hasn't actually hurt any of us that are also huge fans of Nintendo and Smash Bros.

It's not SuperBot's decision in the end.

The third parties control their IPs. We can kick and moan and whine and cry about why Dante, Cloud, Lara, Crash, and Spyro aren't in the game, but why not point the finger at Capcom, Square, Eidos, and Activision?

If they wanted too much money for those characters to show up in the game, I can understand why Sony wouldn't go for them. This is a new, unproven IP, and there's no guarantee that the inclusion of the above would somehow boost this game to a 20 million unit seller.

It's fanservice, in the end. There is plenty of PlayStation fanservice if you are a long time PlayStation fan.

I agree that the franchises above were instrumental in the success of the PlayStation. There is no denying that.

But you know what? I have equally fond memories of the first time I fired up Twisted Metal, Warhawk (PS1), Alundra, God of War, Jak and Daxter, Sly Cooper, Ratchet and Clank, LittleBigPlanet, Uncharted, Dark Cloud, The Mark of Kri, WildARMS, Legend of Legaia, Legend of Dragoon, inFAMOUS, Heavenly Sword (love that game, dammit), Patapon, Loco Roco, Syphon Filter, Ape Escape, etc, etc.

For me, those games equally defined PlayStation. So, to have those games represented in PBR in some fashion (Levels, characters, items, etc) is a thrill for me.

Would I love to have Snake, Cloud, Lara, Sora, Crash, Spyro, Chris or Jill, and Dante in the game? Sure, of course, that'd be awesome. Their lack of inclusion doesn't diminish my fanboy nostalgia and squeeing when I see PBR in action, or think of the roster or levels, or game modes.

As a long time Nintendo fan and PlayStation fan, I find it terribly perplexing that some of you Nintendo fans, of all people, would have a hard time understanding why a game like this would excite PlayStation fans.

I get giddy thinking about Smash Bros Melee and that awesome trailer for it and Brawl. I got pumped watching the EVO reveal trailer of PBR, and seeing characters like Jak and Daxter and Cole drop down into the screen, followed by a montage of their game play.

As someone who has played All Stars, and thinks its incredibly fun, it saddens me to see such rage directed at a harmless game that hasn't actually hurt any of us that are also huge fans of Nintendo and Smash Bros.

I don't know why I find your posts so annoying. People have different opinions dude, you don't need to make an essay sized post repeating the same things over and over again every time someone says something negative about the game. Sorry if I come off as an asshole, but you seem to try way too hard.

I think some people are exaggerating the amount of hate this game is getting.

Of course, there is criticism, but I believe that's just a vocal minority. Many of the comments are just agreeing or disagreeing with Kamiya, and even those that agree quickly add that it isn't a bad thing. Forgive me if I'm overlooking something, but there aren't many people who are bluntly saying that the game is horrible.

Also, not that I am particularly bothered by the current roster, will we ever find out if SuperBot actually approached other companies to get these characters but ultimately failed?

I wonder if most people think that Dante is not exactly part of the roster even if he has Old Dante skin lol. I'm the only one who isn't bothered by it (if he has the skin) :(. Theres this hilarious stigma that Dino seems to have. People are ok with new tribal tatoo meth Crash if he has retro skin but Dante is blashemy even if he has ^^.

Also, not that I am particularly bothered by the current roster, will we ever find out if SuperBot actually approached other companies to get these characters but ultimately failed?
I guess theres no harm in telling they tried to get character X in but I doubt we get the dirty details.

I don't know why I find your posts so annoying. People have different opinions dude, you don't need to make an essay sized post repeating the same things over and over again every time someone says something negative about the game. Sorry if I come off as an asshole, but you seem to try way too hard.
90% his posts are essay sized lol and thats why we love him <3.

Ploid 3.0

I think some people are exaggerating the amount of hate this game is getting.

Of course, there is criticism, but I believe that's just a vocal minority. Many of the comments are just agreeing or disagreeing with Kamiya, and even those that agree quickly add that it isn't a bad thing. Forgive me if I'm overlooking something, but there aren't many people who are bluntly saying that the game is horrible.

It's could be a producer or such outside of Superbot doing the legal stuff working on deals for what characters will be in and such.

It's could be a producer or such outside of Superbot doing the legal stuff working on deals for what characters will be in and such.
Right, but people are prematurely throwing the blame on either SuperBot or the owning company. Perhaps SuperBot really couldn't acquire characters characters like Crash and Cloud because of stubborn owners, but maybe SuperBot actually never considered such characters in the first place.

Right, but people are prematurely throwing the blame on either SuperBot or the owning company. Perhaps SuperBot really couldn't acquire characters characters like Crash and Cloud because of stubborn owners, but maybe SuperBot actually never considered such characters in the first place.
I reallllly doubt SB never considered Crash since he is by faaaaaaaar the most requested character.

I know it's not likely, but it is a possibility. What about Raiden or Dante? There was some disappointment about those two as well. Some people are assuming that SuperBot either had to use this version of Dante or have no version at all, but isn't it possible that SuperBot decided to use this Dante on its own?

I just think we should consider both scenarios, but we'll probably never get an answer.

It's been discussed before, but there's no way they wanted the controversial New Dante in when you consider how popular Old Dante is in UMvC3. There is a lot going on behind the screens and we can only guess this much, but some of the character choices have a clear intent behind them: marketing.

Another fanfic scenario:

''Let us put our character X from our newest/upcoming game for marketing purposes and we will let you use character Y that fans want as DLC''

Same for Cloud. He's a total no-brainer to have in the game but if Square doesn't want to give him, then it's not Superbot's fault really.

Going the by the trend of 3rd party characters (Raiden instead of Snake, DmC Dante instead of classic Dante) I'd expect Lightning to make it to the roster instead of Cloud.

Hyuga

Banned

But his last post was perfect imho

Super Bot did not pick their roster. They may have made suggestions but the final decisions fell on Kaz/some lawyer who had to go through all the rights.

Also remember: why was it Twilight Princess Link in Brawl specifically? Because that character model already existed and saved them a ton of work on asset creation. Look at the third party choices and you'll see a similar pattern--Lightning is in over Cloud (supposedly) mostly because of marketing reasons, but also because they already have PS3 quality assets of her.

and it's being shit on by people that just can't get over the fact that Nintendo no longer has some kind of "lockdown" on crossover fighters (as if they ever did).

You're missing the point/misrepresenting the criticism. Smash Bros was a game born from gameplay, the game existed long before the idea of the 1st party mascot party brawler. Super Sony Bros was not forged the same way, the directive to 'make us a Smash Bros' was issued before the game began development. This is Kamiya's objection. Regardless of how good PSASBR turns out, it was not a product of vision or love, but merely ordered to tick a box for some investors, the same process that hinders Kamiya's less commercial games from seeing sequels.

Gintamen

Look at the third party choices and you'll see a similar pattern--Lightning is in over Cloud (supposedly) mostly because of marketing reasons, but also because they already have PS3 quality assets of her.

.... the same process that hinders Kamiya's less commercial games from seeing sequels.
Is it too much to ask for newly created models? In a damn fighting/brawler game? Blaming it on assets is a very bad execuse.

Sad but true, yet there is no reason for them to chose on investing into games that don't bring much profit over those that do.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA

There's this really, REALLY awesome thing every single one of us has called "free will," maybe you've heard of it? You can exercise it by choosing not to read my posts. It's great how easy that is compared to taking the time to write a post complaining about my pot, and not adding anything to the discussion.

I get it, this is a PBR hate thread, but I'm not going to keep my opinions of the game out of here because they are positive. Especially when I see so much misinformation concerning the game and its mechanics. You'd think that with an active beta thread that is full of very detailed impressions both positive and negative would make threads like this pointless, but some folks don't want to be informed, they want thei already determined opinion to be validated. You don't have to like the game (or my posts!), and neither do these people in this thread, but at least base that off of an informed view of the game instead of ignorance.

Now, feel free to ignore my posts from now on. Trust me, it doesn't hurt my feelings.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
This post is annoying.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
This post is annoying.

Meh, it's not really worth it with guys like this.

I do find it hilarious that I have a rep for making epicly long posts. It's my schtick, but one that I actually try to actively avoid, but I can't help it! They just balloon!

EDIT: @Snowden, I understand what you're saying, but I just don't think that's all that's behind a game like this.

Thing is, ever since Smash released, PlayStation fans have wanted a similar style game, and why shouldn't they get it?

Remember when Futurama was cancelled, and because of fan outcry and strong DVD sales, Comedy Central snatched up the show and brought it back? CC didn't do it out of the kindness of their hearts. It was a business decision, but it was also something that the fans wanted.

Ico/SOTC HD was one of the most requested HD collections ever since GoW Collection released, and showed that HD collections were profitable. Was it wrong that Ico/SOTC HD was then released by Sony? It made them money, but it was also something that fans wanted.

Many PlayStation fans wanted a "Smash Bros" style brawler. Not a Street Fighter style brawler, not a Power Stone style brawler, or a Tekken style brawler, but a Smash Bros style brawler. And that's pretty much what we got, with some significant changes that give the series it's own identity, despite being aesthetically similar.

I can't say I'm pleased with some of the third party shenanigans (IP holders being difficult with their prized franchises), but I can't say I'm disappointed in seeing Heihachi and Big Daddy in the roster, especially when they look so fun to play. I don't have a problem with DmC Dante either, because I'm sure an alternate skin will be classic Dante. I don't mind Lightning, because I actually loved FFXIII, and am not a big fan of Cloud (I find him bland and uninteresting, despite loving FFVII back in high school).

I understand Kamiya, but I think he's viewing this from a very narrow perspective, without taking into account that the fans asked for this game, and we've got it.

It's one of the few times that a company actually bothered to listen to the fans (while still looking to accomplish their goals of making money). The fact that the game is fun, in my opinion, shows how seriously I think SuperBot and Sony are taking it. This could have easily been a disastrous 1:1 copy of Smash that just isn't fun, and doesn't stand on it's own merits. Fortunately, for many (and again, don't take my word only for it; there is a beta thread with all sorts of thoughts on the game), the game does it's own thing, while clearly being inspired by Smash.

I just don't understand why we don't get into this "deep moral, and ethical" debates when the latest FPS or TPS or RTS, or Tower Defense, or JRPG, or WRPG, etc, etc is released. I don't see a difference between many games in those genres, and the many games in the crossover fighter genre that Smash and PBR are a part of.

EDIT2: Whoops, I essayed again! HA! :p

Gintamen

Many PlayStation fans wanted a "Smash Bros" style brawler. Not a Street Fighter style brawler, not a Power Stone style brawler, or a Tekken style brawler, but a Smash Bros style brawler.
Was that really needed? We have multiple of the other two in the current gen so people wouldn't feel the need to wish for more, PS on the other hand, is a whole different case. grrr :I I'm pretty sure that many gamers would like a good console PS game too.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Was that really needed? We have multiple of the other two in the current gen so people wouldn't feel the need to wish for more, PS on the other hand, is a whole different case. grrr :I I'm pretty sure that many gamers would like a good console PS game too.

Hey, I'm not saying we shouldn't get more Power Stone, only that most PlayStation fans, because of the gameplay of Smash, wanted a PlayStation game similar to Smash.

I like Power Stone (I bought it on the Vita this year, which was my first experience with the series, and really enjoyed it), and it's fun, but I'm glad that All Stars doesn't play like it, as I prefer the 2D perspective over Power Stone's 3D one. I also think the 2D perspective is more conducive to pick up and play for non-fighter fans than 3D.

I think Smash wooed a lot of people that generally weren't big into fighters. To be honest, I'm not the biggest fighting game fan, although I do enjoy Virtua Fighter and MvC, but Smash really sucked me in. PBR has been the same for me.

Destructoid was paid off by Sony

There have been a couple games that have aped the style of Super Smash Bros. in the past, but none of them attempted to rewrite the rulebook like Sony has with All-Stars.

Because of the changes to the Smash Bros. formula, All-Stars is a much more complex and chaotic game (at first). For a concept with such mass appeal, this fighter has one of the steepest learning curves in recent memory, because it requires you to forget everything you know about the genre. Even when you wrap your head around the game’s controls and combat, you’ll need to relearn so much as you go from character to character since they each play differently. You can still jump into a match and have fun mashing buttons, but if you play to win, you’ll want to dedicate some time to learning the game.

Perhaps it's a benefit of these characters being born on more advanced hardware or not being limited to 2D platformers, but All-Stars roster feels much more imaginative and fitting than any Smash Bros. game.

Another improvement over Smash Bros. is the move set which feels much larger and unique.

If Sony wanted a Smash clone, they have failed. Because what they have is something much more, unique and special with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-beta--232725.phtml#ext

Disgusting. They should be banned. How can anyone be so blind as to say this isn't just a reskin of Smash Bros. Fuck Destructoid. Blatant Sony shills.

GuardianE

Santa May Claus
EDIT2: Whoops, I essayed again! HA! :p

It's not really that you write long posts. They're just oddly broken up into a million one-sentence paragraphs, which make your post fill up the screen when it's really not saying all that much.

I can't believe Kamiya's tweet inspired this thread. I don't hate this game, but it's clearly not for me. Its aesthetics clash garishly, and the roster seems completely underwhelming (including the leaked characters). I haven't played it, so I don't know how it controls.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Destructoid was paid off by Sony

Disgusting. They should be banned. How can anyone be so blind as to say this isn't just a reskin of Smash Bros. Fuck Destructoid. Blatant Sony shills.

SHHMi.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
I'll just laugh because it shows not many people really play the "genre".

I mean even crappy games like Digimon Rumble Arena should tell you that there are variations. And you'd think the "gamer" would know the existence of Jump SS and Dream TV :p

Jeff-DSA

lollin at "rage."

The only raging is from sensitive fans who can't accept that, yes, All Stars is a PS-flavored clone of Smash Bros. If this game was coming out on iOS or Android with generic characters instead, people would be universally agreeing that the formula was being swiped. The ONLY reason people are disagreeing is due to console allegiances.

It's a game that's deeply borrowing from SSB. Denying it just makes you look kind of silly.

Hyuga

Banned
There have been a couple games that have aped the style of Super Smash Bros. in the past, but none of them attempted to rewrite the rulebook like Sony has with All-Stars.

Because of the changes to the Smash Bros. formula, All-Stars is a much more complex and chaotic game (at first). For a concept with such mass appeal, this fighter has one of the steepest learning curves in recent memory, because it requires you to forget everything you know about the genre. Even when you wrap your head around the game’s controls and combat, you’ll need to relearn so much as you go from character to character since they each play differently. You can still jump into a match and have fun mashing buttons, but if you play to win, you’ll want to dedicate some time to learning the game.

Perhaps it's a benefit of these characters being born on more advanced hardware or not being limited to 2D platformers, but All-Stars roster feels much more imaginative and fitting than any Smash Bros. game.

Another improvement over Smash Bros. is the move set which feels much larger and unique.

If Sony wanted a Smash clone, they have failed. Because what they have is something much more, unique and special with PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale.

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-playstation-all-stars-battle-royale-beta--232725.phtml#ext

b5njdr9j.gif

Jeff-DSA

Oh look, Destructroid wrote a piece to ignite fanboy wars. Man, that doesn't sound like them! Hyperbole all around in that one and I feel kinda dirty for clicking on it.

Urvan

Banned
It's out of my hand, I didn't mean to begien this flame guys :(....the forest of friendship is gonna burn to the ground now....one last thing! BURN,BURN!

IrishNinja

yeah, when you gotta prop up something destructoid wrote, your product of choice might be in trouble. i worry when they like anything i like.

Why do you humor them? Just ignore sites like Destuctoid and wait for a demo to try it out for ourselves.

because brave console warriors need affirmation on their default opinions now, not after relevant data, that's now how things work man

lollin at "rage."

The only raging is from sensitive fans who can't accept that, yes, All Stars is a PS-flavored clone of Smash Bros. If this game was coming out on iOS or Android with generic characters instead, people would be universally agreeing that the formula was being swiped. The ONLY reason people are disagreeing is due to console allegiances.

It's a game that's deeply borrowing from SSB. Denying it just makes you look kind of silly.
Can't they disagree because of different gameplay.

one_kill

It's SSB that mixes in some Capcom fighting game mechanics. At the very least it's not something original nor innovative imo.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
lollin at "rage."

Who's denying it, though? I've never once denied it. It IS inspired by Smash Bros, but it is also fundamentally different in significant ways that makes the game stand on it's own merits. This phantasmal arguing point that PlayStation fans are living in denial and trying to pretend that PBR is this wholly original concept is what's silly. If this was an iOS or Android game, with generic characters, but happened to be fun, I wouldn't be bitching that it was similar to Smash. I don't see why people are treating this like it's a bad thing, which is what the majority of this thread is doing.

Apparently, Nintendo is some kind of sacred cow in the industry, and if anything even remotely resembles something they've created and made successful, it's a shameless ripoff and should be smote from the world with the vengeance of a thousand suns.

It's a ridiculous and childish mentality to have, especially knowing that the gaming industry has been about imitation and inspiration for generations now. People act like this is some kind of new concept, but companies have been following in each others footsteps and improving on the formula since the Atari 2600. Why this is suddenly this morally corrupt practice because Sony has created something similar to what Nintendo (and many other companies, actually) have done is the height of absurdity.

Don't take this shit so seriously, dude. The game exists, and it is fun. That's really all there is to it. It won't be for everybody, like Smash isn't for everybody, but for those that dig this style of game, it's a blast.

EDIT: @ one_kill - it doesn't have to be original or innovative. It just has to be fun. God of War was a similar formula to Devil May Cry. Didn't stop GoW from being fuck awesome. Ninja Gaiden on Xbox was inspired by the formula set up by DMC and GoW. Didn't stop that from being awesome. Resident Evil was inspired by survival horror games like Alone in the Dark. Jak and Daxter and Sly Cooper were inspired by platformers like Super Mario 64. Game developers are human beings that get inspired by all manner of things, including already existing games and genre templates. I don't get why people persist in crowing about "originality and innovation," when very few games that are original and innovative are executed well. I love when a game can successfully execute, but I'm certainly not going to turn my nose up at a game like Torchlight 2 because games like Diablo came before it.

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
If people are so certain it's a rip off and a fail, why would one meaner article be cause for any reaction whatsoever? Why even post? It's almost as if people are scared...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom