• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya on PlayStation All-Stars Battle Royale: "It's just a ripoff."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
You'd think people have never seen youtube tags that reference similar material to snag possibly interested people.

If some folks are looking up Smash stuff, and some PBR stuff pops up, who knows, maybe they'll give it a look or ignore it. It seems like this is being blown out of proportion because it's Sony, and it's just oh so hilarious to mock Sony every chance they get.

You don't think the YouTube tag was hilarious and deserving a mockery? "Reference similar material" is a nice way of putting it, though, hahaha.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
If people are so certain it's a rip off and a fail, why would one meaner article be cause for any reaction whatsoever? Why even post? It's almost as if people are scared...

For some reason, people really do seem threatened by the game potentially being really good, and whenever more articles crop up stating that the game is, indeed, really good, and also different enough from Smash to be worth a shot, they dismiss it as "well, Sony is buying positive press!"

It's absurd. I mean, why would people want a game that's trying to be as fun as Smash to suck? Considering how long it's been since Brawl was released, I'd imagine that they'd be more intrigued by a similar game that could tide them over. PBR isn't going to steal Smash fans away from Smash. But it may certainly scratch a particular itch they have when they aren't in the mood for Brawl, or want to play something with solid online.

If PBR is good (and it certainly is for me), that's not going to somehow diminish Smash's quality retroactively. I just don't understand the intense hatred this game is getting, ESPECIALLY from many people that haven't even played it.

EDIT: @ Laughing Banana: No, I don't think the youtube tag was "hilarious." It was a tag. On a video. Of a game that shares inspiration and similarities with Smash Bros. I understand why people are mocking it. I just think it's childish and silly. This isn't $599 US dollars levels of insanity that deserve memes and mocking. If having that Smash Bros tag somehow got people to look into PBR because of their interest in Smash (and knowing that the next one is still a ways off), I don't see what's so bad about it. Personally, I like to know about games that are similar to games that I'm a big fan of. I've been looking for more games like Monster Hunter and Gods Eater Burst since I was turned onto those games by GAF, so if a tag for something like that cropped up while I was searching Gods Eater, then I'd be happy to have stumbled across it.

Apparently, Nintendo is some kind of sacred cow in the industry, and if anything even remotely resembles something they've created and made successful, it's a shameless ripoff and should be smote from the world with the vengeance of a thousand suns.

Not only do you keep misrepresenting the criticisms (this time with straw men!) but Super Sony Bros bears a little more than a 'remote resemblance' to the original.

Again (all together now!) the issue isn't that Sony made a crossover mascot game or made a 2D 4-player party brawler, it's that Sony made a crossover mascot 2D 4-player party brawler. That's pretty specific. On top of that, Sony used almost every visual element from SSB that they could find. As just a rough example, why are player 'health bars' at the bottom of the screen instead of the top? The genre standard is at the top. But guess who is at the bottom?

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Not only do you keep misrepresenting the criticisms (this time with straw men!) but Super Sony Bros bears a little more than a 'remote resemblance' to the original.

Again (all together now!) the issue isn't that Sony made a crossover mascot game or made a 2D 4-player party brawler, it's that Sony made a crossover mascot 2D 4-player party brawler. That's pretty specific. On top of that, Sony used almost every visual element from SSB that they could find. As just a rough example, why are player 'health bars' at the bottom of the screen instead of the top? The genre standard is at the top. But guess who is at the bottom?

Are you being serious with all of of this? Health bars?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
EDIT: No, I don't think the youtube tag was "hilarious." It was a tag. On a video. Of a game that shares inspiration and similarities with Smash Bros. I understand why people are mocking it. I just think it's childish and silly. This isn't $599 US dollars levels of insanity that deserve memes and mocking. If having that Smash Bros tag somehow got people to look into PBR because of their interest in Smash (and knowing that the next one is still a ways off), I don't see what's so bad about it.

Yes it was just a tag, and yes it was a video, but it was done on the official Sony's YouTube channel, not the channel of some random dude. And the bolded above was interesting; so basically it's free for all then? Companies can liberally use other people's brand to promote their own stuff?

I mean, using other people's brand to draw attention to your own without permission is something that you 'dont see what's so bad about it'?

Ploid 3.0

It's the internet, you use whatever you can to spread the word. Using tags on youtube isn't a breach of copyright, yet. At least they didn't pull a Saints Row 2 "Would You Rather" trailer comparing it to GTA4. That was a awesome trailer. Darnit GTA4 :(

Jackben

bitch I'm taking calls.
Here's some constructive tips:

Why don't you guys boycott the game and sign an online petition? While you're at it you should submit a complaint with the Better Business Bureau. Or you could follow Kamiya's mature lead and throw a tantrum on Twitter...

Meanwhile rational fans of Smash Bros and Sony alike will await the release of a potentially excellent mascot brawler.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
It's the internet, you use whatever you can to spread the word. Using tags on youtube isn't a breach of copyright, yet. At least they didn't pull a Saints Row 2 "Would You Rather" trailer comparing it to GTA4. That was a awesome trailer. Darnit GTA4 :(

Probably.

That didn't mean it wasn't funny when it happened though. And a bit sad as well.

Here's some constructive tips to channel the rage and fear:

Why don't you guys boycott the game and sign an online petition? While you're at it you should submit a complaint with the Better Business Bureau instead of throwing a tantrum on Twitter...

Meanwhile rational fans of Smash Bros and Sony alike will await the release of a potentially excellent mascot brawler.

What...?

I think Super Sony Bros is one of the most blatant, gross examples of creative bankruptcy in video games this side of Zynga.

That doesn't mean I think it shouldn't exist. In fact, I'm excited to play it, will buy it Day 1, and have a blast with bros. Just because it's fun, or I want to play it, doesn't exclude my brain from working. It's a very blatant rip-off/cash grab on Sony's part. But I'm sure Super Bot is working their hardest to make a good game, an endeavor I'm sure they'll achieve.

If it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, and is made by Sony, Sony probably copied it from Nintendo's duck
that's a joke, laugh

That said, we're all going to look back on this thread in a couple years and feel embarrassed that we posted in it. Have a good night everybody!!

aeolist

Banned
Personally I don't hate it because it's a rip-off, I hate it because it's visually bland and uninteresting, the animations are PS2 budget game-level, it seems to be at least partly a vehicle for marketing upcoming games, all the stuff that's actually different from Smash Bros look like changes for the worse, and they're so desperately trying to convince everyone that it's totally legit guys seriously we hired all these FGC people after all the design work was done that means it's going to be balanced and tournament ready also let's push it at Evo when nobody really cares.

KongRudi

Banned
Why is Hideki using Twitter wich is just a internet-ripoff of cell-phone SMS-texting? :p
The important question is not if it's a ripoff or not, it's; - is PS All-stas any fun?

aeolist

Banned
Although I totally respect Kamiya's reasons for hating it because he's coming at it from the perspective of an artist who designs games so disliking obvious clones is completely understandable.

Why is Hideki using Twitter wich is just a internet-ripoff of cell-phone SMS-texting? :p
The important question is not if it's a ripoff or not, it's; - is PS All-stas any fun?

Is a fun video game more important than dignity and respect?

There's more important issues at stake here

What...?

I think Super Sony Bros is one of the most blatant, gross examples of creative bankruptcy in video games this side of Zynga.

That's like, your opinion.

Gears of War gameplay clones are the true culprit of what youre saying there. First because they made it the gamestyle of the generation. Second because hardly any tried to improve the formula in any way. In fact, many of them played worse. Uncharted did it right, in my opinion, by adding the overall smooth feeling and combining it with vertical action.

Personally I don't hate it because it's a rip-off, I hate it because it's visually bland and uninteresting, the animations are PS2 budget game-level, it seems to be at least partly a vehicle for marketing upcoming games, all the stuff that's actually different from Smash Bros look like changes for the worse, and they're so desperately trying to convince everyone that it's totally legit guys seriously we hired all these FGC people after all the design work was done that means it's going to be balanced and tournament ready also let's push it at Evo when nobody really cares.

So the animations are comparable to SSBB? Considering the brawl animations are pretty much like the last generation SSB.

That's not the important question to HK, which is who this thread is all about. But according to this here thread he is just a bit of an overrated asshole riding Nintendo's phallus while showing off this anti-Sony bias so we might just forget about him I guess.

It's out of my hand, I didn't mean to begien this flame guys :(....the forest of friendship is gonna burn to the ground now....one last thing! BURN,BURN!
What's with the latest batch of attention craving juniors that try desperately to be funny?

Boogybro

For some reason, people really do seem threatened by the game potentially being really good, and whenever more articles crop up stating that the game is, indeed, really good, and also different enough from Smash to be worth a shot, they dismiss it as "well, Sony is buying positive press!"

It's absurd. I mean, why would people want a game that's trying to be as fun as Smash to suck? Considering how long it's been since Brawl was released, I'd imagine that they'd be more intrigued by a similar game that could tide them over. PBR isn't going to steal Smash fans away from Smash. But it may certainly scratch a particular itch they have when they aren't in the mood for Brawl, or want to play something with solid online.

If PBR is good (and it certainly is for me), that's not going to somehow diminish Smash's quality retroactively. I just don't understand the intense hatred this game is getting, ESPECIALLY from many people that haven't even played it.

EDIT: @ Laughing Banana: No, I don't think the youtube tag was "hilarious." It was a tag. On a video. Of a game that shares inspiration and similarities with Smash Bros. I understand why people are mocking it. I just think it's childish and silly. This isn't $599 US dollars levels of insanity that deserve memes and mocking. If having that Smash Bros tag somehow got people to look into PBR because of their interest in Smash (and knowing that the next one is still a ways off), I don't see what's so bad about it. Personally, I like to know about games that are similar to games that I'm a big fan of. I've been looking for more games like Monster Hunter and Gods Eater Burst since I was turned onto those games by GAF, so if a tag for something like that cropped up while I was searching Gods Eater, then I'd be happy to have stumbled across it.

Oh my...

Actually the gap was just an hour, and by replying with my post you pretty much bumped them too :p

We need sage posting.

more like two hours. Still dont get your wat.

Dude talks about ps2 animation quality, which was the same generation of gamecube, which had SSBM, from which SSBB takes some animations for sure, even if many are slightly tweaked to make some characters less clony. So what I was asking if he meant that it was on par with SSBB animations in a sarcastic way.

rvy

Banned
Developing awesome games?
I agree ;)

Specially for PS Vita...

uV6R0.gif

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
more like two hours. Still dont get your wat.

Dude talks about ps2 animation quality, which was the same generation of gamecube, which had SSBM, from which SSBB takes some animations for sure, even if many are slightly tweaked to make some characters less clony. So what I was asking if he meant that it was on par with SSBB animations in a sarcastic way.

His post doesn't really make sense, but if by "animation quality" you mean how the characters move and whatnot, Brawl definitely made them more fluid and less... stiff. Characters have idle animations now, etc.

Figboy79

Aftershock LA
Yes it was just a tag, and yes it was a video, but it was done on the official Sony's YouTube channel, not the channel of some random dude. And the bolded above was interesting; so basically it's free for all then? Companies can liberally use other people's brand to promote their own stuff?

I mean, using other people's brand to draw attention to your own without permission is something that you 'dont see what's so bad about it'?

How is that any different some Soda companies or Fast Food companies name dropping the competition to make their own shit look good?

At least in this case, Sony isn't putting down Smash by using that tag, they are simply using the established brand name of Smash to draw attention to something similar. So, yeah, I see nothing crazy, radical, or bad about it.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
This thread boils down to Nintendo fans thinking they have a monopoly on a whole genre and are insulted by the mere concept of a similar game? So then they lash out by insulting the game they never played and the company that made it? Wow, mature.

What is next, attack the next FPS game for copying Doom? Get over it children, other people can make game genres that Mario has been in, boo hoo.

This thread boils down to Nintendo fans thinking they have a monopoly on a whole genre and are insulted by the mere concept of a similar game? So then they lash out by insulting the game they never played and the company that made it? Wow, mature.

What is next, attack the next FPS game for copying Doom? Get over it children, other people can make game genres that Mario has been in, boo hoo.

You hear that? That's the sound of 10 keyboards typing a respnse to this.

If this thread won't die then I will use this as another place to request Kat for this game. Please superbot.

Has someone sent Kamiya a link to this thread yet and told him he's "riding the phallus of Nintendo"? I doubt he gives a flying fuck but I'd like to see his reaction. ;-)

7threst

Has someone sent Kamiya a link to this thread yet and told him he's "riding the phallus of Nintendo"? I doubt he gives a flying fuck but I'd like to see his reaction. ;-)

yes, it has been sended to him:

yMC5M.png

You sound bitter.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom