• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya shits all over Kotaku

Nibel

inaba0uax4.png

This man.

kliklik

Banned
Because nothing concrete's come out of it yet, I'd actually completely forgotten, but I'm also not really a big Platinum guy to begin with. Can't speak for Eisenbeis.

Gonna go out on a limb here and say... he might just not have remembered that.

Right, and that's why you do some research rather than base an entire article on two tweets - not even providing context for one of them. I mean, we're talking about an article that was published and has gone through two revisions and yet still contains reference to a "convince store". It wasn't fact-checked, let alone spell-checked.

Where it gets more problematic is that the writer is ignoring evidence against his claims. That means he's guilty not merely of shoddy research and failing to write a "meaty" article, but also is guilty of a logical fallacy – cherry picking the evidence.

But what gives the article its offensive tone is that the writer is an outsider giving the audience an explanation of an entire group's nature based upon one specimen's actions, quite like a zoologist on a nature documentary explaining to people the social behaviours of baboons in an exotic land. (Our viewers may be shocked to observe what we are showing here, but I assure you, gentle listeners, that butt-sniffing is completely in line with standard baboon mating rituals! Aren't baboons just the craziest things ever!)

Further, he's doing so in relation to our own group's attitudes and behaviours, establishing Western thinking, behaviour, and values as the "norm" and describing those of the Japanese in how they deviate from the norm. That's ethnocentrism, similar in concept to androcentrism. This tone has withstood the superficial word-choice revisions. And of course, he's depicting the Japanese as being very uniform in their beliefs and feelings, easily encapsulated by the behaviour of a single Japanese specimen. That's a prime example of the outgroup homogeneity effect. Japanese people aren't a monolithic entity. They're not The Borg. Depicting any group as a deficient and erroneous hivemind is offensive. And so typical of the obnoxious American tourist!

Kamiya sounds like a raging teenager.

I think I would too if this is what I have to deal with 24/7

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya
I see. RT @TrevIsaacs: when sonic and shadow have to stop the ark from crashing into earth. Bayo and Jeanne do the same thing with Jubileus.

Steal what? RT @TrevIsaacs: yes so why did you steal that?

Of what? RT @TrevIsaacs: the ending!

What's that? RT @TrevIsaacs: SONIC ADVENTURE 2

I see. RT @TrevIsaacs: A GAME CREATED BY SEGA THE PEOPLE YOU PARTNERED WITH TO MAKE BAYONETTA

Steal how? RT @TrevIsaacs: YES SO WHY DID YOU STEAL THE ENDING OF SONIC ADVENTURE 2

What ending? RT @TrevIsaacs: YOU TOOK THE ENDING AND PUT IT IN BAYONETTA THATS HOW

Oh, did I steal glasses from Sarah something? Sorry about that.

djtiesto

is beloved, despite what anyone might say
You either haven't been paying attention or you're just playing dumb. It's not about criticizing individual developers so much as it's been about trying to find a fault in Japan as a country, culture, and people. It's been about painting with extremely broad strokes and generalizing that all Japanese developers are the same or something.

Since around 2006 or 2007 or so, there's been a serious backlash against Japanese developers and games from Japan in general. Lots of "how the mighty have fallen" and "is Japan still relevant?" articles and such.

Try glancing through one of the new EGMs one day. In between articles (wasting space that would much be better served by ... I dunno... actually covering some niche games or something?) asking whether or not the games industry is too mysogynistic, it's hogwash about how Japan has "lost the race". A far cry from their 90's heyday.

djtiesto

Why are people still trying to sell him on Steam and "Gabe". It's creepy.

I wish PC gamers would actually try to play some of the games they bought in the last Steam sale instead of spending the time trying evangelize PC gaming to the rest of the world.

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl
I wish PC gamers would actually try to play some of the games they bought in the last Steam sale instead of spending the time trying evangelize PC gaming to the rest of the world.

I play my PC, console, and handheld games. >: I'd prefer to play them all on PC but that isn't how the world works unfortunately.

The dude has noone but himself to blame for responding to all the bullshit on twitter.
Its kind of sad that we are at a point where we stop blaming the people being harrassing assholes and start blaming the guy defending himself on his own page. He shouldnt have to deal with assholes misquoting him and asking stupid questions all day just because he has an outlet for his thoughts. These people need to learn etiquette and common sense.

Eusis

Actually that is how it went. Someone else in CAPCOM wanted a jungle adventure game with lots of animals. Mikami saw it and suggested making them dinosaurs instead.

Led to a fantastic game so can't complain.
Ha, I still like the angle of "stick dinosaurs in instead" even if it wasn't a crazy idea on how to improve RE.
See, even Inaba acknowledges Gaijin was bad.
Admittedly offense IS in the eye of the beholder. I'm not thinking much of it, but plenty of people seem offended enough, and either way it's clear he's angry and picking out words he feels has the impact he wants, so gaijin is bad.
It's so strange how Japan went from a HEAVILY PC-orientated gaming society in the early-mid 90s to it being a total albatross.
I don't think the Family Computer and PC Engine are what you think they are.

(Or this is sarcastic, but sarcastic or realistic I think it only had a dedicated fanbase even then, which likely evaporated almost entirely thanks to the aforementioned switch to Windows 95).

demidar

Admittedly offense IS in the eye of the beholder. I'm not thinking much of it, but plenty of people seem offended enough, and either way it's clear he's angry and picking out words he feels has the impact he wants, so gaijin is bad.

To be fair, Kamiya said some gaijin are fucking idiots.

djtiesto

Ha, I still like the angle of "stick dinosaurs in instead" even if it wasn't a crazy idea on how to improve RE.

I don't think the Family Computer and PC Engine are what you think they are.

(Or this is sarcastic, but sarcastic or realistic I think it only had a dedicated fanbase even then, which likely evaporated almost entirely thanks to the aforementioned switch to Windows 95).

The FM-TOWNS, X68000 and MSX were all pretty popular in Japan and had a lot of great games for it (the X68000 in particular is legendary for its high-quality CPS2 ports).

DukePukem

Banned
To anyone who thinks the word "gaijin" isn't derogatory, you need to spend a few months in Japan and listen closely to what context its said under. It's ALWAYS derogatory, and the fact that he wrote it in Japanese just shows what a piece of shit coward he is. This guy is trash and if you still follow him after he blatantly showed that he thinks all non-Japanese people are 'idiots' then well, you deserve everything you get.

On another note, the way he talks is VERY reminiscent of 2ch, and anyone of you who has been there knows just how racist those posters are on a regular basis.

To anyone who thinks the word "gaijin" isn't derogatory, you need to spend a few months in Japan and listen closely to what context its said under. It's ALWAYS derogatory, and the fact that he wrote it in Japanese just shows what a piece of shit coward he is. This guy is trash and if you still follow him after he blatantly showed that he thinks all non-Japanese people are 'idiots' then well, you deserve everything you get.

On another note, the way he talks is VERY reminiscent of 2ch, and anyone of you who has been there knows just how racist those posters are on a regular basis.
He didnt call all foreign people idiots. Hence the word "Some".

InfiniteNine

Rolling Girl

You're kinda just blowing stuff outta your ass here bud.

Kikujiro

Its kind of sad that we are at a point where we stop blaming the people being harrassing assholes and start blaming the guy defending himself on his own page. He shouldnt have to deal with assholes misquoting him and asking stupid questions all day just because he has an outlet for his thoughts. These people need to learn etiquette and common sense.

You miss the point, see the quote FlashbladeGAF posted? That wouldn't have happened if Kamiya just ignored the troll, but instead he answers again and again and he does it with every trolls. I don't think he's stupid, he knows those are trolls, yet he decides to feed them instead of ignoring them.

And you make it sounds like it only happens to him, every person somewhat famous is constantly trolled or attacked on twitter by random people, it's a normal day on the internet (how many troll tweets do you think Bieber receive everyday?). If he wants to get rid of these stupid people he should just ignore them and the problem will be solved, by giving them attention he only attracts more of them.

DukePukem

Banned
To be fair, Kamiya said some gaijin are fucking idiots.

No, that's not what he said at all. In his original Japanese it said 'fucking idiot gaijin', clearly the message was directed towards his Japanese followers as if to say 'look how stupid foreigners are'. That is what he said and there is no manner of re-interpretation that will change that.

Risette

A Good Citizen

...lol

Zaventem

Get over yourself.You feel betrayed the people that make your body pillow think differently of you?

how is he a coward when he tells peopel to fuck off. And he said SOME not ALL?

Risette

A Good Citizen
Get over yourself.You feel betrayed the people that make your body pillow think differently of you?
http://www.japantoday.com/category/...-or-racial-epithet-with-sinister-implications
The professor then offered his personal opinion: “My own sense is that some foreign residents of Japan who take offense at any use of the term ‘gaijin’ belong to a well-established phenomenon of foreigners (usually white men) who want to become completely Japanese (culturally, biologically, socially)—cf. Pierre Loti, Madame Chrysantheme, Blackthorne in Clavell’s novel ‘Shogun,’ or James Bond, in ‘You Only Live Twice.’ For these Japanophiles, any indication that they’ve not succeeded in becoming Japanese is taken as a personal insult, and I think much of the offense at the term ‘gaijin’ (foreigner) stems from this anxiety they bring to the situation.”

Seems to be the case.

DukePukem

Banned
Clearly you don't understand racism. If i said 'you lazy spic', that would suggest I felt that way about ALL people of latin american ethnicity, not just one. Please stop defending this bigot.

Kacho

Gold Member
The professor then offered his personal opinion: “My own sense is that some foreign residents of Japan who take offense at any use of the term ‘gaijin’ belong to a well-established phenomenon of foreigners (usually white men) who want to become completely Japanese (culturally, biologically, socially)—cf. Pierre Loti, Madame Chrysantheme, Blackthorne in Clavell’s novel ‘Shogun,’ or James Bond, in ‘You Only Live Twice.’ For these Japanophiles, any indication that they’ve not succeeded in becoming Japanese is taken as a personal insult, and I think much of the offense at the term ‘gaijin’ (foreigner) stems from this anxiety they bring to the situation.”

Seems to be the case.

Man...so sad. :/

demidar

No, that's not what he said at all. In his original Japanese it said 'fucking idiot gaijin', clearly the message was directed towards his Japanese followers as if to say 'look how stupid foreigners are'. That is what he said and there is no manner of re-interpretation that will change that.

I think you should learn to read. The image above will help. Note the word "some".

Verendus

Banned
Wow. Just ignoring everything else, I never knew Kamiya was such a damn child. Why does the fool continuously engage idiots on twitter? He has no restraint. I don't even...

Kacho

Gold Member
Also from that article:

But there are much more negative words Japanese can use for foreigners (‘banjin,’ ‘eibei kichiku,’ ‘sankokujin,’ etc), all of which are fortunately quite rare, and of course there are racial epithets in Japanese, of which Gai-jin is not really one.

DukePukem

Banned
He gets away with it because of people like the ones in this thread who willfully ignore his bigotry. If a western developer went around shouting ch*nk or n*gger there would be all hell to pay, but this guy gets a free pass just because he's Japanese.

And somehow I'M the weaboo here? Give me a break.

Roto13

He gets away with it because of people like the ones in this thread who willfully ignore his bigotry. If a western developer went around shouting ch*nk or n*gger there would be all hell to pay, but this guy gets a free pass just because he's Japanese.

And somehow I'M the weaboo here? Give me a break.

You are completely ignorant of history and racism if you think "gaijin" is anywhere near the level of those other words I'm not even comfortable typing out in a discussion about racism.

Clearly you don't understand racism. If i said 'you lazy spic', that would suggest I felt that way about ALL people of latin american ethnicity, not just one. Please stop defending this bigot.

so if you say fuck off to some idiot Latin Americans who have constantly bugged the shit out of you all day

Does saying that mean fuck off to those specific Latin americans or ALL Latin Americans

You miss the point, see the quote FlashbladeGAF posted? That wouldn't have happened if Kamiya just ignored the troll, but instead he answers again and again and he does it with every trolls. I don't think he's stupid, he knows those are trolls, yet he decides to feed them instead of ignoring them.

And you make it sounds like it only happens to him, every person somewhat famous is constantly trolled or attacked on twitter by
random people, it's a normal day on the internet (how many troll tweets do you think Bieber receive everyday?). If he wants to get rid of these stupid people he should just ignore them and the problem will be solved, by giving them attention he only attracts
more of them.
I think youre missing my point. I know that the people are only harassing him because he responds. My point was that its too often
anymore that people are expected to deal with harrassment instead of casting the blame on the people who started the confrontation in the first place.

We've become so comfortable with the fact that there ARE assholes out there that now instead of calling them out and shaming them people are just supposed to ignore it and act like it doesnt happen. And when someone actually has the balls to speak up
and say that someone is an asshole they're deemed the ones at fault. Its totally backwards thinking.

If it wasnt for people thinking they have the right to be rude and disrespectful to someone on his personal twitter page then Kamiya would have nothing to bitch at. Instead now people are saying Kamiya is at fault and are totally taking the the focus off the people that were being trolls. My whole point was that none of those celebrities should HAVE to ignore this bullshit, because if those people had any manners in the first place they wouldnt be acting that way. Its bullshit to say "Kamiya has no one to blame but himself" because in saying that you take the responsibility out of the trolls hands for being an asshole in the first place.

Top Bottom