• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya talks Scalebound - "The biggest game of my career"

Strootman

The title of the game speaks to the dragon’s hide and Drew’s apparent affliction, but also gives a sense of the size you can expect of Scalebound. “It’s actually the biggest game I’ve ever made, in my entire career,” says Kamiya. “Putting the technical implementation aside, the player experience we want players to have is to be able to seamlessly explore a very large world and go where you want to inside of this world. You saw how big our boss was. And our dragons aren’t exactly small! So just by corollary you have to have a very large world to house these creatures, they don’t live in Hobbit homes, they have huge places they need to inhabit so our world is quite large.”

Scalebound is a game Platinum has been trying to make for a very long time with “start and stop prototypes”. But this time it's coming together. “I think it’s a combination of technology advancing and our skills as developers advancing,” says Kamiya. “And also finding a publisher that wanted to take a bet on something as big as Scalebound. All those things came together at the right time and we were finally able to get it off the ground.”

More at the link

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/gaming/w...ya-talks-scalebound---the-biggest-game-of-my/

harSon

Banned
I've said it before, but everything I hear about the game sounds awesome, but everything I see is middling at best. They need to do a better job of showcasing the game...

His games would better fit in the Playstation catalog. I wonder why he chose to make an Xbox exclusive

Sony could always go to Platinum with a proposal to bankroll a title for their platform, which is what Microsoft did.....................

Platinum are a studio for hire.

If it's the biggest game of his career, I hope it comes together for him. Gotta be honest though, i have been very unimpressed with what they've shown so far.

I thought the biggest game of his career was my mom

Are you calling your own mother fat, sir?

dame2.png

His games would better fit in the Playstation catalog. I wonder why he chose to make an Xbox exclusive

I'm sure money was involved. It definitely feels like a weird game to have on a system with basically no Japanese presence.

I hope it turns out good, because that E3 demo was not promising.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
I think he states it pretty clearly:

Scalebound is a game Platinum has been trying to make for a very long time with “start and stop prototypes”. But this time it's coming together. “I think it’s a combination of technology advancing and our skills as developers advancing,” says Kamiya. “And also finding a publisher that wanted to take a bet on something as big as Scalebound. All those things came together at the right time and we were finally able to get it off the ground.”

If that's his biggest game I can't even imagine what the smaller ones will look like.

In before quote with Transformers / Korra /TMNT.

Mesoian

That game has a whole ton of time left, but yeah, the dragon combat, the on foot combat...It just doesn't look up to Platinum's calibur yet.

I think we're all just hoping it gets there, but I'm not gonna preorder this, you know? Nothing they've shown has sold me.

BatDan

Bane? Get them on board, I'll call it in.
Having trouble believing that...
When he called that big crab the "biggest boss we ever made at Platinum", I felt something was fishy.

SEGAvangelist

Gold Member
They should have put together a cool trailer showing off the environments and characters rather than showing a MP section. That MP section may have actually been fun, but it just demoed poorly. At least the graphics looked great. UE4 seems to be running very nicely on XB1 now.

Two Words

Judging from the E3 demo, what exactly is supposed to be good about this game? All I saw was firing shots at a stationary big boss at big glowing weak points. I feel like this game has been riding on its creator's name.

Quazar

Can't wait to play this with brothers. Coop through the whole game? Awesome. I thought it was just boss battles.

Wonderful 101 showed that Kamiya works best when he has a strong personality in his team telling him "no, this doesn't work"

Scalebound is a perfect example of why this is needed.

It may be his biggest game and something he has always wanted to make but it doesn't work.

Scalebound is not only disappointing mechanically, (based in what we have seen) it's also a game without an audience.

The typical person who is into platinum and Japanese action/RPG games in general are going to be turned off by the smug, focus tested Western protagonist. Not to mention the combat looks far too grindy and simplistic, even for Monster hunter fans.

The typical Xbox gamer, outside of platform evangelists are still not on the Japanese approach to fantasy that is still present in the game.

The typical casual gamer (and granted this is conjecture) is not going to have a good time with the dexterity requirements that a Kamiya game requires. His games have never been "press A for awesome" and will require a significant time investment to get to the meat and potatoes.

I'm sure there will be a few contrarians who proclaim this as the best thing ever, but right now, the games chances are not looking great. It's now had 2 e3s to create hype and one gamescom. The overall consenus is the game looks mediocre at best, slight offensive at worse.

If it doesn't exicte the small base here that at one point lived and breathed platinum, it has no chance in the wider market, where infintely more desirable projects like quantum break and ROTR have struggled.

Right now, people should more concern that Microsoft doesn't pull the plug and take Platinum (and by extension, Nier) with it.

Tonky

It's a shame how terrible that E3 gameplay video was then. Interesting concept, but the execution needs work. The E3 2014 trailer had me hyped, a boy with his dragon flying around a next-gen world fighting monsters. The past couple of showings killed that hype.

Not when it comes to combat.

Well, it's not a character action game, they're doing something new. I mean, it's more comparable to Okami than Bayonetta in that respect.

I still believe that Kamiya will make a good game, even though the E3 demo wasn't great. His resume deserves a bit of faith and there's plenty of time to pulll it off.

Top Bottom