• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya: "to say that Yoko-san saved Platinum would not be an exaggeration."

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Game of the generation for me with Bloodborne, you really have to play all 5 major endings though to get the whole experience ......

Also make it clear that u don't have to play the game 5 times to to get 5 endings.

This is the real reason it did so well!

P9DDWn6.png
OMG yes. I love things like this

One of the best experiences this generation, hands down. Hats off to Yoko Taro and everyone at Platinum. Nier Automata will stick with me for many many years.

Ridley327

Confused why people bringing up W101.
I'm under the impression that's they get paid properly for that. Financially, Scalebound cancellation seems more likely to kill any good sized developer just because of how it screwed resource management.

I don't think a lot of people realize that Platinum is a work-for-hire studio, even after all these years. They might originate a lot of IPs themselves internally, but they don't have any means of supporting themselves without pitching to a publisher to give them the money to do it.

LotusHD

Banned
The game is incredible, took me a while to get into it but once it clicked It's fucking amazing.

It's like watching an anime for the first time, you went from ''what is this cringe shit? ( ′_ゝ`)'' to ''I have never been this engrossed in my entire life ლ(゚д゚ლ)''

Eh, depends on the anime.

Game of the generation for me with Bloodborne, you really have to play all 5 major endings though to get the whole experience ......

I never really liked when people phrase it like this lol, as it comes off as it being this optional thing that enhances the experience, as opposed to it being necessary to say that you've beaten the game.

^

I thought it was boring, and because of that I didn't see the reason to go through the game another 4-5 times.

Inaccurate, but fair enough.

5 endings. I'm just starting this for the first time, what did I get myself into.

This is exactly why the phrasing matters haha

Ridley327

5 endings. I'm just starting this for the first time, what did I get myself into.

Technically speaking, it has 26 endings, most of them are essentially joke endings. A/B/C/D/E are the major endings and have a tremendous impact on the overall story that the game is telling, and the good news is that they're not full playthroughs in a literal sense.

13ruce

Banned
Amazing Nier Automata is doing so good and good to see Platinum got a hit again and that is even saved em sort of.

Hopefully this means more games from Platinum + Yoko.

Danjin44

^

I thought it was boring, and because of that I didn't see the reason to go through the game another 4-5 times.

Who the the hell told u that!!? After u finished Route A u play Route B as different perspective and Route C all new chapter. If u don't like the game thats fine but don't bring that BS here.

I'm so happy that Nier got a sequel and everyone loved it. Maybe someday we'll get a reimagining of the original Nier with Automata combat.

:lol

Let me not get bannedt again.

But yeah play the game. If you feel like you want more after the first ending, keep going. I doubt most people go beyond the first ending anyway. The game is not fun enough, in fact it's very repetitive.

The story is bad too. I watched the other endings on YouTube and I'm glad I didn't waste another 20 hours on Nier.

But to each his own I guess. It's a popular game so I'm glad that I got to play it. Now I know it's not for me and I have my own opinion about it.

Milijango

Quick non-spoiler summary of how the routes work for people who fail to grasp it:

ChXPy8H.jpg

You DO NOT play the game 5 times. Christ.

This is accurate in principle but Route A would only be 25-30 hours if you really took your time or did all possible side content.

Most people I've talked to say it took them 10-15 hours.

EDIT: Alright yeah it says 100% in the title and I should probably learn to read.

This is accurate in principle but Route A would only be 25-30 hours if you really took your time or did all possible side content.

Most people I've talked to say it took them 10-15 hours.

I've been exposed!

Hahaha, seriously though, it really depends on how you play. I got a bit over 30 hours in trying to do as many side quests as I could, and I didn't even get to all of them in Route A.

Danjin44

:lol

Let me not get bannedt again.

But yeah play the game. If you feel like you want more after the first ending, keep going. I doubt most people go beyond the first ending anyway. The game is not fun enough, in fact it's very repetitive.

The story is bad too. I watched the other endings on YouTube and I'm glad I didn't waste another 20 hours on Nier.

But to each his own I guess. It's a popular game so I'm glad that I got to play it. Now I know it's not for me and I have my own opinion about it.

But most people did, thats why so many people loved it.

I'm glad Automata seems to have done so well, especially if it's saved Platinum. I just hope this means we get a Nier 3, because I want at least one videogame to surpass Automata.

bluexy

I wasn't a fan of Nier: Automata, but I'm very happy that it was successful for both Yoko and Platinum. Even if this wasn't the game for me maybe the next one will be. Hope they're working together again.

Who the the hell told u that!!?

The game did, when it told me to play through again, in this screen:

P9DDWn6.png

Obviously I'm aware that it's not the case, but as I have said before the game was not fun to me and I didn't feel like playing it more than I already did. Phrasing, as it has been mentioned already, is very important.

Danjin44

http://i.imgur.com/P9DDWn6.png[IMG]

Obviously I'm aware that it's not the case, but as I have said before the game was not fun to me and I didn't feel like playing it more than I already did. Phrasing, as it has been mentioned already, is very important.[/QUOTE]

Again if u don't like the game thats fine, my question is where did u get that u need play this game [B]4-5[/B] times!!?

luminous

P9DDWn6.png

Obviously I'm aware that it's not the case, but as I have said before the game was not fun to me and I didn't feel like playing it more than I already did. Phrasing, as it has been mentioned already, is very important.

I mean, fair enough if you didn't like it enough to continue, but nowhere does that say that the next playthrough would be the exact same, in fact that message even specifies how the next route would not only incorporate different story elements but also different gameplay systems. That's definitely not just the matter of "oh it's all the same but like different ending kinda". I don't know. I feel like that message is more than perfectly fine and gets that point across.

P9DDWn6.png

Phrasing sure is important, that's why they say:
  • "This game has several different storylines that change each time you play."
  • "...there are still many story elements and changes to the gameplay that you have not seen yet."
  • "We highly recommend you play through again to withness the full 'NieR: Automata' experience."
  • "We hope you enjoy the rest of the game!"
You only play through one set of events twice (condensed), the rest is all new.

LotusHD

Banned
If they didn't want people to think they were endings, then they could've not called them endings.

Meh, people could also not spread misinformation after they know how it works, yet here we are :p

---

PR message also calls the first completed route "Route A". Honestly though, Route B literally starts out in a way where it's pretty hard to come out thinking nothing new would ever happen throughout the route, not to mention those that played Route A should be aware when something different would happen in Route B due to who you're playing as.

2B confirmed greater waifu than Bayonetta

Lol, I suppose.

I'm glad Automata seems to have done so well, especially if it's saved Platinum. I just hope this means we get a Nier 3, because I want at least one videogame to surpass Automata.

We'll likely get something, one day. That said, don't expect to play as 2B and co. yet again.

Phrasing sure is important, that's why they say:
  • "This game has several different storylines that change each time you play."
  • "...there are still many story elements and changes to the gameplay that you have not seen yet."
  • "We highly recommend you play through again to withness the full 'NieR: Automata' experience."
  • "We hope you enjoy the rest of the game!"

You only play through one set of events twice, the rest is all new.

My issue with the game wasn't in the story (which was alright, but I'd fail immediately if you quizzed me on it because I couldn't bother to pay much attention), but in the gameplay. I wasn't looking forward to playing more of what I did.

My issue with the game wasn't in the story (which was alright, but I'd fail immediately if you quizzed me on it because I couldn't bother to pay much attention), but in the gameplay. I wasn't looking forward to playing more of what I did.

That's fine - if you disliked the game that much, that's your right as a player and purchaser of the game.

But I'd like you ask you not to be one of those people who spread the "You need to play it 5 times!!" false information, if you have the choice. Especially for those who otherwise enjoy the traversal/combat/gameplay.

Danjin44

efb5431c91d587f5a6bcc998994d86d7.jpg

AGIAIN...WE got the part that u don't like the game. My issue here that u spreading false information about "u need to play the game 4-5 time." that PR massage said nothing like that.

Greddleok

I Should replay Nier Automata again.

I do think the combat is quite weak though, it's a shame that it's shallow compared to other platinum games.

Soar

Automata is my GOAT at this point, but I can understand players who did not like how the game dealt with the endings or how the gameplay can be repetitive. This is fine. But those who link the success purely on 2B's assets could benefit from looking at it in a broader sense. Yes I am aware that 2B was designed to be very marketable, but the game itself would not be elevated to this level without the story, characters and thematic direction from Yoko Taro and Platinum. If you put 2B into a game like hyperneptunia it would not have been this popular for instance.

Sayad

Yea, about that, looking at PS4 trophies, about 80% of those who got the first ending also got the second. :D

LotusHD

Banned
Sure but if you don't like Route A then I would still recommend not bothering with the rest.

Nah, this one of the few games where I'd urge someone to continue until the very end, assuming their concern is in regards to the game's story. If it's them not liking the gameplay or something, then yes, I would not recommend it either, unless they enjoy the story, then in that case put it on Easy mode I guess lol

Glass Rebel

This entire discussion about what they're called is stupid as hell. The only reason it's even a topic is because clowns that don't wanna understand how the game works keep pushing this narrative.

Arion

I don't think a lot of people realize that Platinum is a work-for-hire studio, even after all these years. They might originate a lot of IPs themselves internally, but they don't have any means of supporting themselves without pitching to a publisher to give them the money to do it.

People shouldn't disregard royalties either. If a game is successful there is more money in it for them than just the contracted work. For example, obsidian almost died because they didn't get royalties for one game.

Top Bottom