• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideki Kamiya: "to say that Yoko-san saved Platinum would not be an exaggeration."

Antiwhippy

the holder of the trombone
I mean I'm not going to argue that it's taro alone that saved platinum, because my opinion is that they both helped each other out in the end, but a lot of the buzz coming out for the game also came from the story.

It had insanely long legs on the Japanese charts and was still on the npd charts after the first month. That's not something you get from the initial release hype. That's what you get from ongoing word of mouth.

In the end he's the director, the one in charge of putting the game together. More credit should actually be given to yosuke saito, the producer, for putting all the elements together in the first place. Taro and the team he works with brought the story, music and game design, square enix by way of yoshida brought in the character and art, and platinum brought in the action combat and game developement.

DxD

Banned
Maybe want to visit the game's review thread, check the OT or watch some youtube Nier: A analytic/impressions/etc videos... Pretty much single thing that the game got praised for the most is the story and it's what sparked most of the discussion around the game.

How?
How can you get analytic/impression from a 1minute trailer during the first PS event on an intangible substance such as plot and story?
You only saw 2B, and the many way she dodged and sliced.

Okay, let's assume that none of us pre-order or was hype during the first reveal and only read the reviews afterward.
Story/plot and whatnot would not matter in the end if it were another Drakengard 3 failure.
Have you played that game? Very stylish, but the frame would drop to single digit and with bad switching of different gameplay element.
You think NieR would even be reviewed that highly?

So I will say it again, Taro got lucky to be partnered with PG.
Historically, Taro games are a technical mess.
From reading Kamiya's message again, I think he was being humble.
PG saved Taro.

It's 2B. Get my waifu's name right.

FUCK NO!!! I'm starting to think u played none of his games.

Of course not. I dropped Drakengard 3 in a heartbeat during the beach invasion part.
12 soldiers on screen, and everything was moving like powerpoint presentation.
Forced myself to play it month and month later because I wanted to know why she wanted to kill and eat her sisters.

Antiwhippy

This is also assuming that every platinum game is a guaranteed hit.

They were in a financial crisis for a reason.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
How?
How can you get analytic/impression from a 1minute trailer during the first PS event on an intangible substance such as plot and story?

Okay, let's assume that none of us pre-order or was hype during the first reveal and only read the reviews afterward.
Story/plot and whatnot would not matter in the end if it were another Drakengard 3 failure.
Have you played that game? Very stylish, but the frame would drop to single digit and with bad switching of different gameplay element.
You think NieR would even be reviewed that highly?

So I will say it again, Taro got lucky to be partnered with PG.
Historically, Taro games are a technical mess.
From reading Kamiya's message again, I think he was being humble.
PG saved Taro.
Maybe u should watch first E3 reveal trailer reactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYRzTvrrP8

people hyped because Yoko Taro. Like it or not both Drakengard and NiER had cult following.

LotusHD

Banned
Lmao, people really up in arms over Taro receiving thanks.

Again, it was many factors. Not just Taro. Not just Platinum. Not just 2B. Not just the story. And so on.

Attempting to reduce it to "Taro got lucky they decided to work with him" is extremely disingenuous. Everyone benefitted.

PG saved Taro.

Hmmm. I mean, Star Fox Zero was a really bad game and widely hated, and Scalebound was cancelled. I'm sure that hurt PG real bad. They were in need of a win. And then Yoko Taro brought them that win with a game he was given full creative freedom on. YT and PG are a match made in heaven, and clearly Yoko Taro didn't do it alone - I'd say they saved each other really.

Sayad

How?
"word of mouth" is when people play the game, like it, and try to share their love of the game. Not word of mouth around a trailer!

But even then, most of the hype around the game was because it's a joint Yoko/Platinum project, not because it's another platinum game(or another Yoko game).

It's funny to see people upset about Kamiya giving Yoko credit for the game's success though, lol.

Arklite

We know Scalebound falling through couldn't have been healthy for the team and we know Automata did well for Platinum. A big failure and a big success. If Kamiya feels Yoko Taro's creative talents were a driving factor in their recent success then it must have merit.

DxD

Banned
Maybe u should watch first E3 reveal trailer reactions.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0DYRzTvrrP8

people hyped because Yoko Taro. Like it or not both Drakengard and NiER had cult following.

Okay? 1 dude was out during the announcement. He rushed over when he heard PG was making a game while the rest of his friends didn't care.

But wow...A cult for two of the niche of niches JRPG IP.
Historically, IPs that are rated very low as well.

I am now questioning if most of yall have even played most of Taro's directed games.
If yall are still telling me that his games aren't a technical mess then I don't believe you.
Even as a fan, you shouldn't be blinded and lied to other people and especially to other fan.

I am blunt, but at least I am telling the truth.
Taro was lucky.

Credit should be given to the guy who made the decision to get PG in as the main programmers while telling Taro that he should focus on writing and directing the story and scenario instead.
It would've been another technical mess I bet under Taro leadership.

Interesting that it's this game. Given I'm only a few hours in, but it is not on the level of Bayo, Vanquish and Wonderful 101 and I doubt it will get there. I'd put it on the b-tier with Revengeance and SFZ.

Edit: B-tier Platinum is still grade A anything else, so I'm definitely not hating. Quite enjoying the game. I just consider the above mentioned games to be 11/10 masterpieces, so not much comes close.

Antiwhippy

You do know that Drakengard 3 was a mess specifically because square enix rushed the hell out of its developement right?

Also nier 1 isn't a technical mess at all other than looking kinda ugly.

Gbraga

It was really all of the elements coming together, there's no single factor here. And one of the major things to get the ball rolling in the first place was absolutely Yoko Taro's cult following making noise about this. But this time, there's nothing off-putting like the usual Yoko Jank, so people who kept hearing great things about these games that looked like garbage to them may be interested in this one, then Platinum fans will buy anything Platinum makes, then the art looks amazing, the music is awesome, the demo is solid, and it keeps going.

The game had an amazing momentum with such a dream team bringing something great to the table. The final product is still very much a Yoko Taro game, and thought it may be more polished, it appeals more to people who would probably enjoy the first game too, but a lot of them would never even give it a chance without such a polished product.

Why are people almost fighting over this, btw? Can't we all just be happy for all the people involved? They all seem to be great people, and we love their games, don't we? What's up with all that? I remember when we were just thrilled we were even getting this game in the first place. It came out, it's incredible*, it sold amazingly well, why are we not happy again?

*Unless you're weird and disagrees. A lot of weird people in here. Don't be weird.

Lynx_7

That's actually really heartwarming coming from Kamiya. Nice for Taro too since he got his first major hit, I bet both Platinum and SE are very happy with the results all around.

*Reads thread*

Well of course people would find something to bicker about.

LotusHD

Banned

It can only be said so many times dude, you do you I guess.

Interesting that it's this game. Given I'm only a few hours in, but it is not on the level of Bayo, Vanquish and Wonderful 101 and I doubt it will get there. I'd put it on the b-tier with Revengeance and SFZ.

Edit: B-tier Platinum is still grade A anything else, so I'm definitely not hating. Quite enjoying the game.

:p

Why are people almost fighting over this, btw? Can't we all just be happy for all the people involved? They all seem to be great people, and we love their games, don't we? What's up with all that? I remember when we were just thrilled we were even getting this game in the first place. It came out, it's incredible*, it sold amazingly well, why are we not happy again?

*Unless you're weird and disagrees. A lot of weird people in here. Don't be weird.

I dunno, apparently it's controversial to say that there was a lot of factors involved. I don't really get it myself.

And even putting that aside, a man just simply wanted to thank another man for his efforts, and likewise. But no, he's just being humble.

Danjin44

Okay? 1 dude was out during the announcement. He rushed over when he heard PG was making a game while the rest of his friends didn't care.

But wow...A cult for two of the niche of niches JRPG IP.
Historically, IPs that are rated very low as well.

I am now questioning if most of yall have even played most of Taro's directed games.
If yall are still telling me that his games aren't a technical mess then I don't believe you.
Even as a fan, you shouldn't be blinded and lied to other people and especially to other fan.

I am blunt, but at least I am telling the truth.
Taro was lucky.

Credit should be given to the guy who made the decision to get PG in as the main programmers while telling Taro that he should focus on writing and directing the story and scenario instead.

Drakengard 3 was only one had poor graphical performance and that was because SE barely give Taro a budget to work with.

Original Nier had gameplay issues but the way it told its story was fantastic and thats why the game had cult following.

Sayad

Edit: B-tier Platinum is still grade A anything else, so I'm definitely not hating. Quite enjoying the game. I just consider the above mentioned games to be 11/10 masterpieces, so not much comes close.
Well, gameplay wise you're just about right, though there other aspects of the game that puts it above Bayo, Vanquish, W101, MGR, etc...

DxD

Banned
Drakengard 3 was only one had poor graphical performance and that was because SE barely give Taro a budget to work with.

Original Nier had gameplay issues but the way it told its story was fantastic and thats why the game had cult following.

Alright then.
See, at least we can finally agree about this and not lying to ourselves.
Both game's graphical and gameplay were sub-par and under-performed.
(NieR was playable enough though that why it was easy to get through the game. Can't say that about D3, except that the gameplay was more stylish than NieR.)

So we as fan were lucky that SE decided on a collaboration.
Kamiya was being humble, but imo, he should've gave the credit to whoever told SE to hire PG as mercenary developers instead of giving Taro his own team.
That dude saved PG because PG didn't have anything in the pipe line, and probably, saved Taro's career too. There was no way SE would allow Taro to keep on producing 6/10 games.

That'll be up to SEGA. But Bayo 2 was funded by Nintendo, it's not like PG "bet" on Wii U being a success or anything

I hope Sega has someway to put Bayonetta 2 on more platforms. I mean, Bayo 1 came to PC years later, so why not do the same with 2? Sega still holds IP rights, so maybe it's not such a remote hypothesis...

Alright then.
See, at least we can finally agree about this and not lying to ourselves.
Both game's graphical and gameplay were sub-par and under-performed. (NieR was playable enough though that why it was easy to get through the game. Can't say that about D3, except that the gameplay was more stylish than NieR.)

So we as fan were lucky that SE decided on a collaboration.
Kamiya was being humble, but imo, he should've gave the credit to whoever told SE to hire PG as mercenary developers instead of giving Taro his own team.
That dude saved PG because PG didn't have anything in the pipe line, and probably, saved Taro's career too. There was no way SE would allow Taro to keep on producing 6/10 games.
Not just Taro for creating NieR, but creating it in the fashion it was in and the morale it brought to the studio.

Danjin44

Man, Drakengard 3 on PS4 would be so good.

Maybe they could get it to run like 5x better. So 20fps.

I would love that too. because the actual combat is very solid and in terms of melee combat it was much better than original NieR. The biggest issue was performance. I liked the story and characters enough to finish it all the way through and finishing all sisters DLC.

Gbraga

I would love that too. because the actual combat is very solid and in terms of melee combat it was much better than original NieR. The biggest issue was performance. I liked the story and characters enough to finish it all the way through and finishing all sisters DLC.

I didn't play the DLCs, but other than that I agree, I actually really like the game. Some genuinely fun moments almost ruined by the awful performance. The later routes have some awesome boss fights.

jonno394

I hope Sega has someway to put Bayonetta 2 on more platforms. I mean, Bayo 1 came to PC years later, so why not do the same with 2? Sega still holds IP rights, so maybe it's not such a remote hypothesis...

The only way it happens is if they send Nintendo 💰 to convince them.

Hektor

That has been the case for literally all of his games. He isn't freaking coding the things.

He has no influence on whereever a game runs well or not.

The entirety of Nier Automata also happened to be developed under his leadership btw.

And please let's not pretend Automata is some well running masterpiece, the pc version especially runs arguably worse than the console version of the first Nier

Amazing, bless that man. Hopefully we see new ambitious Platinum titles soon. phone games and activision cash grabs are ok but not my cup of tea really*. I need a full SCALE game.

Disclaimer: I actually liked Korra

Disclaimer: I actually liked Korra

the show, or the game

actually never mind, either one is like

OkJLH1B.gif

Glass Rebel

Korra ain't any worse than some of the garbage that gets championed on GAF. It might not have the production values but it sure as hell is more fun to play.

Nier:Automata is one of those games I'm glad was a success. As a result of this, Platinum is saved, Yoko Taro gained a lot of industry attention, Square Enix had a development cycle that was short and focused, and the Japanese gaming industry got another success story. This game's success is truly a win-win scenario for the industry.

Yohane

Akihiko Yoshida saved both Nier and Platinum.

Vast majority of the audience would have never took an interest in Nier Automata if it wasn't for 2B superb design.

Danjin44

Vast majority of the audience would have never took an interest in Nier Automata if it wasn't for 2B superb design.
That's part of it, but doesn't matter how good the character design is if the game it self is bad then no one gonna bother.

But I'm surprised how popular 2B design became. Not because I think it's bad design or anything, I personally LOVED it, but these days characters being sexy considered "bad design".

In honestly I really give a shit who saved who. If this means Yoko Taro get to make more games then I'm happy. I'm big fan of his work since first Drakengard and seeing now his works finally getting the praise it deserves makes me vey happy person.

Yoshida always delivers on his female design. He's the thigh man for a reason, looking at you tactics orge.
Like I said, yoshida got the eyes on the game, okabe got ears to focus on the game and Yoko got the tears.

iMerc

Don't you mean Konami? The fuck does Capcom have to do with Metal Gear?

lol. aaand we have a casualty. :)

But when will Capcom pull the trigger on a new Castlevania? With Platinum at the helm it could be something special.

i only want capcom to make a new castlevania if their old employee hideo kojima makes it.

Heh... clever. He was supposed to say Konami (when it comes to MGR2).

was i, though?

because bayonetta was funded by sega and developed by platinum. any distribution of this game is decided by Sega, a 3rd party publisher that releases games on whatever platform it wants.

Sega didn't feel it was worth it to fund a sequel, so it was canned.
Nintendo stepped in & fit the bill for it, and because of this, Sega & platinum were able to make it.
Sega are obviously the owners of the property, but nintendo owns the code for the game.

Sega can technically release 'a' bayonetta 2, but they would have to make it again from scratch. Seeing as Sega didn't think it was worth it to do it the first time, why on earth would they do it a second time?

Bayonetta 2 may not have sold fantastic, but it was a profitable venture for both Sega & platinum because they didn't pay shit for it it.

On the other hand, Sega funded the first title and due to dev costs wasn't a profitable venture for them.
Seriously i can't believe this still needs explaining after all these years.

LotusHD

Banned
That's part of it, but doesn't matter how good the character design is if the game it self is bad then no one gonna bother.

But I'm surprised how popular 2B design became. Not because I think it's bad design or anything, I personally LOVED it, but these days characters being sexy considered "bad design".

In honestly I really give a shit who saved who. If this means Yoko Taro get to make more games then I'm happy. I'm big fan of his work since first Drakengard and seeing now his works finally getting the praise it deserves makes me vey happy person.

Eh, this is a bit disingenuous. The characters that get criticized normally have something off-putting and/or tasteless about said "sexy design", hence the criticism. No one is out to get them in general.

Top Bottom