• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Baba (Tales) helming new Square Enix studio Studio Istolia, making new RPG

Sounds mobile, looks mobile, deigns feel generic and/or too FF inspired. I'll pass. I would rather the Setsuna team do something new, bleh.

Cannot say i'm impressed with Baba not being with Bamco anymore

Let's hope this means a better development for the tales saga

He's nor bad, he was there when Vesperia was developed, but his vision might have shifted and might have caused issues with Zestiria development (you gotta wonder why Zestiria the X is so different)

Anywho, glad to know he has something else and didn't just dissapear

SaniOYOYOY

Some details from the site that people aren't talking about:

- This is a studio that is made to launch a brand new RPG IP. Not a single game
- It is also a recruitment campaign for the studio, they are hiring planners, designers, and programmers
- The spec they are hiring for is "high end systems", and they welcome experience in UE4 and Unity
- They are also looking for Battle planners and programmers with Action RPG experience, which indicates the direction of the combat
- This is a subsidiary of S-E Holdings, and not just an internal studio of S-E Japan, this is similar to Tokyo RPG Factory, their own company
yes and yes
hoping for AA game in the vein of nier automata

The people saying "It's totally mobile" and completely ignoring all the other information in this thread that points to it being console are funny.

Am I crazy or does it specifically mentioning high end spec and action RPG experience pretty much confirmed this is a console game?

Like I get you can do some action type stuff on Mobile but that description really looks like it's not

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Baba got fired from Namco bandai!? dude...i mean, zestiria was a shit sandwich and Berseria and the Tales series is all the better without him in charge but still....

Baba got fired from Namco bandai!? dude...i mean, zestiria was a shitsandwhich but still..

It's possible he wasn't fired and was instead poached by SE. Especially if this is going to be an actual console / PC new IP and they are looking for veteran talent to lead the studio

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
I hope the games won't come out as half-assed if Baba is producing it.

It's possible he wasn't fired and was instead poached by SE. Especially if this is going to be an actual console / PC new IP and they are looking for veteran talent to lead the studio

I think some part of him leaving would still be attributable to the Zestiria controversy. That whole debacle didn't do him any favors at Bamco.

Inuhanyou

But why would they hire baba then??

ULTROS!

People seem to like me because I am polite and I am rarely late. I like to eat ice cream and I really enjoy a nice pair of slacks.
But why would they hire baba then??

He is a veteran. He produced majority of the Tales games post 2000 and the highly acclaimed Tales of Vesperia. That's a good foothold for him leading the new project.

Though it's funny since 3 of the best Tales games (Symphonia, Abyss, Berseria) aren't produced by Baba.

Inuhanyou

He is a veteran. He produced majority of the Tales games post 2000 and the highly acclaimed Tales of Vesperia.

That was 9 years ago...everything after that fell into stagnation under his watch leading to a series of erratic decisions on Zestiria which lead to him being ejected or leaving in the first place.

I mean i thought xillia 1 was pretty cool and graces had a decent battle system, but that's not exactly what i call keeping a franchise afloat

He is a veteran. He produced majority of the Tales games post 2000 and the highly acclaimed Tales of Vesperia. That's a good foothold for him leading the new project.

Though it's funny since 3 of the best Tales games (Symphonia, Abyss, Berseria) aren't produced by Baba.

afaik he didn't produce vesperia

ULTROS!

afaik he didn't produce vesperia

You're right: Tales of Vesperia [X360] (August 7, 2008) — brand manager

I guess that means he never produced the best Tales games and all the best ones were produced without his direction (aka Symphonia, Vesperia, Berseria, Abyss)!

duckroll

Baba got fired from Namco bandai!? dude...i mean, zestiria was a shit sandwich and Berseria and the Tales series is all the better without him in charge but still....

That was 9 years ago...everything after that fell into stagnation under his watch leading to a series of erratic decisions on Zestiria which lead to him being ejected or leaving in the first place.

I mean i thought xillia 1 was pretty cool and graces had a decent battle system, but that's not exactly what i call keeping a franchise afloat

Lol. Not surprised to see childish fanboy posts like this. Typical.

Inuhanyou

Lol. Not surprised to see childish fanboy posts like this. Typical.

???

I don't know exactly what your saying

i mean, he was the one making the terrible excuses in interviews for what ended up being very controversial in zestiria and berseria seemed to improve a lot without him on the project, i don't know how that is fanboyish

casiopao

...Lol. That little dragon is almost like rip off from Hortensia Saga mascot lol.^_^

602f746908341d097e765b1f05eb53f9.jpg

Those sketches and the little dragon fella set off my Crystal Chronicles and FF9 senses. If it actually is the same guy, I'm pretty stoked. This is Square's top Moogle guy doing a new IP.

BasilZero

Looks great but getting mobile vibes...hopefully it'll come to consoles/PC too.....eventually and not be some F2P/gacha or w/e they call it >.>.

duckroll

???

I don't know exactly what your saying

i mean, he was the one making the terrible excuses in interviews for what ended up being very controversial in zestiria and berseria seemed to improve a lot without him on the project, i don't know how that is fanboyish

You're trying to extrapolate a business decision with a fan opinion on games, it makes you look really childish or ignorant. That's like, not how anything works. People on NeoGAF make fun of Toriyama all the time, shat on FFXIII, etc. He still got to direct game after game. Why? Because he's a capable project manager. Baba is one step above even that - he's a producer, not a director. So whatever complaints you have about the game or whatever, it's nonsensical to pile everything on the guy who basically manages the team, handles business decisions, and does PR fluff at events. What, you think he personally wrote the story in Zesteria which cut out some precious waifu from the story and made all the losers in Japan who won't even leave their homes cry in outrage? Lmao.

Baba is at Square Enix because they obviously agreed to a business alliance here. They didn't "hire" him so much as partnered with him in this case. This is a brand new studio created under S-E Holdings. He is managing it and he's the CEO. He's not a Square Enix Japan employee. This is his studio, so he probably pitched it to the management and they liked it.

Inuhanyou

You're trying to extrapolate a business decision with a fan opinion on games, it makes you look really childish or ignorant. That's like, not how anything works. People on NeoGAF make fun of Toriyama all the time, shat on FFXIII, etc. He still got to direct game after game. Why? Because he's a capable project manager. Baba is one step above even that - he's a producer, not a director. So whatever complaints you have about the game or whatever, it's nonsensical to pile everything on the guy who basically manages the team, handles business decisions, and does PR fluff at events. What, you think he personally wrote the story in Zesteria which cut out some precious waifu from the story and made all the losers in Japan who won't even leave their homes cry in outrage? Lmao.

Baba is at Square Enix because they obviously agreed to a business alliance here. They didn't "hire" him so much as partnered with him in this case. This is a brand new studio created under S-E Holdings. He is managing it and he's the CEO. He's not a Square Enix Japan employee. This is his studio, so he probably pitched it to the management and they liked it.

Jesus, take some breaths dude. i get your worked up about this but it aint that serious to go off on a tangent and talk to people like that with such an attitude.

thanks for clarifying anyway.

i know his job wasn't going to impact the entirety of the tales franchise, but he was on site and obviously took a share of the blame for the project which is why they made him step down from his position to begin with, it wasn't all to avoid bad press.

The game wasn't just mediocre because whatever happened with alisha and the DLC either but that's another story

again, if you want to correct someone, ok. just do it right, without accusing them of nonsense like being fanboys. I don't care enough about Tales to even have that in mind.

i hope i dont get banned for arguing with a mod but i was very blindsided

duckroll

i know his job wasn't going to impact the entirety of the tales franchise, but he was on site and obviously took a share of the blame for the project which is why they made him step down from his position to begin with, it wasn't all to avoid bad press.

Ah, I see you're still pretending that you work at Namco Bandai Games. Typical fanboy.

The thing that needs to be remembered is there aren't a whole lot of people with the kind of experience Baba has. I hated Zestiria, one of the worst entries in the franchise imo but that still doesn't disqualify his years upon years of leadership shipping projects.

If your forming a new studio that's exactly the kind of experience you want on board

Dark_castle

Since when did Baba left Namco? And he was a big figure in that company too. Now he basically surrendered and join the rival.

Inuhanyou

Ah, I see you're still pretending that you work at Namco Bandai Games. Typical fanboy.

again, you keep calling people names like that but you still havent told me why i am a fanboy for whatever reason. I am hopeful that new blood in the tales team can make a difference to the overall quality with someone else managing. i don't understand what this is all about.

Fine, i accept that he has managerial experience and SE hired him for that. I conceded that after the first post explaining it to me already. i don't see what else you want.

duckroll

Since when did Baba left Namco? And he was a big figure in that company too. Now he basically surrendered and join the rival.

Well, I guess whether this is a promotion or demotion in his career depends on how big this studio is. Back in Namco Bandai at his peak he was brand manager of the entire Tales franchise right? There was a time where Tales Studio was their own entity, as a Namco subsidiary. Then they were folded into the main company. Now he has his own studio again and everyone there answers to him. Will it be bigger than the old Tales Studio? I guess we'll find out.

i don't see what else you want.

I just want you to stop saying stupid shit. It's not that hard really. Just try it.

Inuhanyou

I just want you to stop saying stupid shit. It's not that hard really. Just try it.

as far as i was aware, baba was the face of the tales franchise and so i commented what i thought. If you want people to understand things how you understand them, you could explain it to them easily without such antagonism.

That's all i have to say in this thread.

The Wart

What the hell? The most uncharitable reading of those posts is that they were somewhat naive. But the idea that higher level executives and business decisions have nothing to do with the quality of the output seems just as extreme a simplification as placing all the credit or blame on a single person.

duckroll

as far as i was aware, baba was the face of the tales franchise and so i commented what i thought. If you want people to understand things how you understand them, you could explain it to them easily without such antagonism.

That's all i have to say in this thread.

Normal human beings in this thread didn't jump into conclusions that Baba was fired, or that he took responsibility and was asked to step down. None of that seems to have any factual basis. Why are you so special?

What the hell? The most uncharitable reading of those posts is that they were somewhat naive. But the idea that higher level executives and business decisions have nothing to do with the quality of the output seems just as extreme a simplification as placing all the credit or blame on a single person.

That's not what I said.

Hastati

So it may be a console action JRPG in a new world with a focus on dragons? We have a recent deficit of those. If it's a new IP though maybe it will be both console and mobage from the get go, I doubt they can resist.

Heyt

Banned

Harsh.

I honestly think adding a character and rewritting the whole story 2 years into development when they had only 3 to finish Tales of Zestiria points to bad management, which was led by Baba at the time.

I love Zestiria but I honestly think it went sideways in some stuff that can be attributed to Baba directly.

Top Bottom