• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima basically sheds light on his narcissism and boils it down in less than 140 characters as a Tweet.

Aceofspades

Banned
A film producer can say exactly the same tweet and it holds true, except in Mr. Kojima case he forgot that "Games" need to be "coded" to become reality. So with this tweet he continues to disregard the hundreds of coders, developers, artist who helped him to create his games. Typical Kojima fashion since 1985.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Kojima is a rare auteur in a hobby that lends itself to more decentralized development, and replaceable staff. After all, how many long-running series now have almost completely different staff than they started with?

For Kojima however, people are saying that a new Metal Gear without him is impossible, and I just about agree.

I’m okay with, and like this tweet. Anyone working that hard, should be bragging. I think Aceofspades has a good point that he should give more credit to the people that help bring his dreams to life, though.

cireza

Banned
He could have given some credit to all the other persons involved in every single topic he raised in this tweet.

STAFF ROLL

DEATH STRANDING
A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME

concept
HIDEO KOJIMA

produce
HIDEO KOJIMA

original story
HIDEO KOJIMA

script
HIDEO KOJIMA

setting
HIDEO KOJIMA

game design
HIDEO KOJIMA

casting
HIDEO KOJIMA

dealing
HIDEO KOJIMA

directing
HIDEO KOJIMA

difficulty adjustments
HIDEO KOJIMA

promoting
HIDEO KOJIMA

visual design
HIDEO KOJIMA

editing
HIDEO KOJIMA

supervising the merch
HIDEO KOJIMA

coding
WHO CARES

THANK HIDEO KOJIMA FOR PLAYING

Last edited:

-Arcadia-

Banned
He could have given some credit to all the other persons involved in every single topic he raised in this tweet.

STAFF ROLL

DEATH STRANDING
A HIDEO KOJIMA GAME

concept
HIDEO KOJIMA

produce
HIDEO KOJIMA

original story
HIDEO KOJIMA

script
HIDEO KOJIMA

setting
HIDEO KOJIMA

game design
HIDEO KOJIMA

casting
HIDEO KOJIMA

dealing
HIDEO KOJIMA

directing
HIDEO KOJIMA

difficulty adjustments
HIDEO KOJIMA

promoting
HIDEO KOJIMA

visual design
HIDEO KOJIMA

editing
HIDEO KOJIMA

supervising the merch
HIDEO KOJIMA

coding
WHO CARES

THANK HIDEO KOJIMA FOR PLAYING

For MGSV, roll these every mission. 😋

ExpandKong

Banned
For Kojima however, people are saying that a new Metal Gear without him is impossible, and I just about agree.

i probably sound like a broken record at this point but after Phantom Pain a Kojima-less Metal Gear is the only kind of Metal Gear I want.

People with much much less creative influence get their name on the covers of games and films all the time.

I’m trying to think of literally one other game developer who slaps their own name on the box art like Kojima does and I’m coming up blank.

Banned

how is that narcissism? he just explains why the games are having his name attached and what he does...

basically clearing up confusion.

I’m trying to think of literally one other game developer who slaps their own name on the box art like Kojima does and I’m coming up blank.

American McGee, Sid Meier

Last edited:

ROMhack

Kojima is a rare auteur in a hobby that lends itself to more decentralized development, and replaceable staff. After all, how many long-running series now have almost completely different staff than they started with?

I’m okay with, and like this tweet. Anyone working that hard, should be bragging. I think Aceofspades has a good point that he should give more credit to the people that help bring his dreams to life, though.

Kojima definitely benefits from having worked in the industry for a long time. I read just yesterday about how the producer of Evangelion made a decision to give full control to Anno - except with the intro music interestingly enough - because it was deemed an integral part of how the show was marketed. I think you can see some obvious parallels between it and Metal Gear Solid in that both used the concept of a singular visionary to sell the product to a wider audience. (Source)

I guess other contemporaries include Goichi Suda, Swery and Yoko Taro. Japan seems to like this type of thing whereas The West doesn't really.*

*Except maybe Ken Levine.

Last edited:

GamesAreFun

Banned

Sid Meier? Though to be fair, that's almost just part of the brand name at this point.

Sid_Meier%27s_Pirates%21_%281987%29_Coverart.png
Sid_Meier%27s_Railroad_Tycoon.jpg
Civilizationboxart.jpg

Dane

It reminds me of how almost all developers are reserved, compare that to movie directors and actors which have news (even if useless) all the time.

Whitesnake

Banned
i probably sound like a broken record at this point but after Phantom Pain a Kojima-less Metal Gear is the only kind of Metal Gear I want.

Most of Phantom Pain’s problems can be attributed to the fact that Kojima was kicked out and that Konami rushed it out.

Konami’s only Metal Gear venture since then was an awful failure.

I don’t know why you would trust pachinko people with Metal Gear.

We've got ourselves a Metal Gear Survive stan over here.

Last edited:

WorldHero

Most of Phantom Pain’s problems can be attributed to the fact that Kojima was kicked out and that Konami rushed it out.

Not entirely true. Kojima kept delaying the game and exceeding budgets. By the looks of it, he only finished the gameplay loop. Konami got tired of bleeding money & time with little to show for it. The Phantom Pain has great elements but was basically released unfinished.

Not entirely true. Kojima kept delaying the game and exceeding budgets. By the looks of it, he only finished the gameplay loop. Konami got tired of bleeding money & time with little to show for it. The Phantom Pain has great elements but was basically released unfinished.
Do you have a source for this?

Generic

We've got ourselves a Metal Gear Survive stan over here.
I'm curious about Metal Gear Survive. The videos I watched looked rather good and I'm under the impression the game was hated because it's fashionable to hate Konami.

5 years in development is more than enough time to finish a game.

Last edited:
I'm curious about Metal Gear Survive. The videos I watched looked rather good and I'm under the impression the game was hated because it's fashionable to hate Konami.
Hating a company that black lists their ex-employees to make it as difficult as possible getting life insurance is justified in my book.

Last edited:

Generic

Last edited:
This is irrelevant to their games, though.

Oh, I see.

The unconfirmed reports is about Kojima not getting payed after leaving Konami.
Konami was also petty enough to forbid Kojima from accepting his reward at the VGA.

No one is stopping you from playing MG Survive tho.

Last edited:

Generic

The unconfirmed reports is about Kojima not getting payed after leaving Konami.
Konami was also petty enough to forbid Kojima from accepting his reward at the VGA.

No one is stopping you from playing MG Survive tho.
What these articles described is pretty much every japanese company ever.

"No one is stopping you from playing MG Survive tho."

I will, it looks fun.

The funny thing is there is no way he writes his own English tweets. Or even read responses to said tweets.

He employs someone to tweet on behalf of him.

Komatsu

Tom Clancy was never involved with the games that bear his name. He was a political thriller writer who decided to become a brand: publishers simply wanted to leverage it in the late 90s/2000s, as a lot of Clancy stuff was popular in the mid-market segment. As for Meier, Micropose simply slapped his name on the cover of Pirates! as they wanted to capitalize on his reputation among flight sim enthusiasts. The early PC gaming scene was full of ripoffs, clones, etc., and this was their way of establishing their own identity.

Kojima's habit of putting his name on the cover began with MGS2: Substance - as his clout within Konami started to rise exponentially, ending with his promotion to EVP in 2011. I pretty much think it comes from his perennial frustration that he's a game designer and not a filmmaker. The "vanity credit", as it is known in Hollywood, was never really popular with those in the production staff or with the writers, but became increasingly common as time wore on.

It's preposterous, really, since directing a game is not like being a filmmaker. You're most likely in an office, with a shitload of stickies on the wall, meeting with different leads who come to you with wireframes, mockups, ideas, etc. You'll realize Kojima, for example, always shares writing credits with someone else (Tomokazu Fukushima, etc.) - what that means is that Kojima here is not really putting pen to paper, but giving general directions, intimations of plot and character, for his co-writers to go ahead and draft.

Kojima, when at Konami, always had an assistant director - usually Yoshikazu Matsuhana. Let's look at what Matsuhana said about his role in an interview with a Japanese publication about 20 years ago (one can find transcripts online):

Yoshikazu Matsuhana interview said:
What is the difference in role between the director and assistant director?

On one side you have the director who draws up the plans for the project and explains his idea for the game. On the other side you have the actual programmers and designers who actually make the game. I am in the middle coordinating the flow of communication between both sides. In addition, I am in charge of environmental developement as well. The MGS team consists of programmers, designers and sound engineers, etc. It is my job to decide how to best put these groups together in order to create the best game possible.

A filmmaker is on set, behind the cinematographer, directing shots, coaching actors, etc. A game director is an executive - he handles planning, keeps the Executive Producers and Steering Committee off the project's back, drafts design documents explaining his or her expectations, etc.

Some Japanese directors, like Yasumi Matsuno, are all about plot, setting and feel, leaving others to do the technical heavy lifting. Others, like Miyamoto, have their hands on everything. A third group, like Yuji Naka, is all about the technical aspects of the game, leaving the artists to do their thing. But they're usually not in the thick of it, and all of them rely on Leads, Assistant Directors, etc. etc. to carry out their bidding.

metalgear_solid2substance__68898.1435342113.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom