• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima Community Thread: Did you rike it, GAF?

oM7TbzF.jpg

A safe space for those who want to discuss about Kojima and his works, both past, present and future projects.

To celebrate his 56th Birthday, I decided to make this community thread so we (I) don't have to post kojima threads on the gaming discussions unless it's big news.

Arigatou, DGrayson DGrayson , for approving this Community Thread. Sorry if it's not as cool looking as it should be, but I'll be updating the OP as the weeks pass by and add some cool details about Koji-san.

Great, looking forward to learning more about HK himself. What is your favorite Kojima game of all time?
This used to be a difficult question to answer, but as the years went by, I realized that Metal Gear Solid 2: Sons of Liberty is my favourite Hideo Kojima game for several reasons. It's truly his magnum opus, but what's amazing is that he has the potential to surpass MGS2 with either Death Stranding or his PS5 project.

I cannot believe it's taken you this long to make this.
I was waiting for the right day to do it. I also had to ask for mod approval which DGrayson DGrayson graciously did. Everyday, I will be making a post or two at the very least which will both stimulate discussion and also function as a TIL (Today I Learned). I already feel like this thread is my personal aircraft that I can chill in (MGS4 reference). Grateful to be the one who did it :)

Last edited:
I always liked this part of the Silent Hills trailer:

uyd07Q.gif

I feel like it would have been a very scary game to play if it was fully realized, and not just because of the monsters or whatever, but due to real-time graphics having advanced to the point where they can simulate natural lighting.

I'm curious to see what he will be able to achieve on the PS5.

Last edited:
I always liked this part of the Silent Hills trailer:

uyd07Q.gif

I feel like it would have been a very scary game to play if it was fully realized, and not just because of the monsters, but due to real-time graphics having advanced to the point where they can simulate natural lighting.

I'm curious to see what he will be able to achieve on the PS5.
It definitely would have played with the concept of light since P.T. was heavily relying on shadows and lighting to set up a certain mood and tone.

I just can't imagine the direction that Kojima will take for his next project. I'm pretty sure Sony will expand his studio and double the amount if developers to match the ambition and scope of his next PS5 project.

KOMANI

KOMANI
My Japanese is alright but I don't think I can go till the end of the game
To clarify, the PS3 JP psn store. Not the PS4. Playasia also sells fan translated copies of Policenauts. They’re pretty cheap.
If you watched Super Bunnyhop’s critical analysis of MGS4, you will remember that the translator that worked on the fan made translation of Policenauts, was also on board as a localizer for MGS4.

latest

I bought the JPN version of this two years ago, even though I don't speak Japanese. However. I recently bought a Japanese dictionary and hoping my efforts into learning the language can be put to use when i delve into this awesome documentary/game in the future.

Has anyone played/navigated through this version of MGS2?

KOMANI

KOMANI
latest

I bought the JPN version of this two years ago, even though I don't speak Japanese. However. I recently bought a Japanese dictionary and hoping my efforts into learning the language can be put to use when i delve into this awesome documentary/game in the future.

Has anyone played/navigated through this version of MGS2?
Yea, i own it. I was using its dynamic detect-caution-alert-evasion music wheel a few months back.

Regarding Metal Gear Solid 2's.....

Cultural impact:
In a 2006 viewer poll conducted by Japan's Famitsu magazine of top 100 games of all time, Metal Gear Solid 2 was ranked at #42 in the poll.[94] In the 200th issue of Game Informer Magazine in 2009, its list of top 200 games of all time ranked the game at #50 on the list.[95] Metal Gear Solid 2 was ranked #7 in Game Informer's 2008 list of the top ten video game openings.[96] In 2010, GamesRadar included the game in its list of top seven games "with mega plot twists you never saw coming."[97] The game was included in Tony Mott and Peter Molyneux's 2011 book 1001 Video Games You Must Play Before You Die.[98] It has also been listed as one of the best games of all time by Electronic Gaming Monthly,[99] Empire,[100][101]GameFAQs,[102][103][104][105]GameRankings,[106] IGN,[107][108][109]Metacritic,[79] Slant,[110] and Stuff.[111][112]

According to John Linneman of Digital Foundry, the game was a technical milestone for its time. It served as a killer appshowcasing what the PlayStation 2 hardwarewas capable of, with the game setting "a new standard in cinematic presentation" and attention to detail, and demonstrating "huge numbers of enemies on screen with bodies that remain in the scene, the interaction of light and shadow, physics interactions with real world objects, multi-tiered environments and advanced enemy AI." This made possible new "gameplay opportunities" and a sense of freedom offered by levels "designed as mini-sandboxes with a tremendous amount of interactivity."[113] The early anticipation that surrounded Metal Gear Solid 2 since its E3 2000 demo has been credited as a critical factor in the PlayStation 2's best-sellingsuccess and dominance during the sixth console generation, as well as the demise of Sega's Dreamcast.[72] According to John Szczepaniak, "MGS2 was the game which single-handedly sold Sony's new PlayStation 2 to the masses."[114]

In 2009, Wired included the game in its list of "The 15 Most Influential Games of the Decade" at #13, concluding that every "videogame story that subverts a player’s expectations owes a debt to the ground broken by Metal Gear Solid 2."[115] The artistic influence of Metal Gear Solid 2 can be seen in later video games such as Goichi Suda's similarly postmodern game Killer7,[85] the similarly metanarrative game Portal,[116] the survival horror title Eternal Darkness: Sanity's Requiem, and particularly the first-person shooter BioShock,[117] which featured a similar plot twist to Metal Gear Solid 2.[118]Several game mechanics developed in Metal Gear Solid 2, such as the cover system and laser sight mechanic, have since become staples of stealth games as well as shooters, including Kill Switch (2003), Resident Evil 4(2005) and Gears of War (2006).[7][12] The reveal of Metal Gear Solid 2 also led to the development of Splinter Cell, which Ubisoftoriginally intended to be "a Metal Gear Solid 2killer."[119][120] According to Kojima, Metal Gear Solid 2 paid more "attention to the surroundings" in real-time and later "games like Call of Duty have followed this trend of making your surroundings more realistic."[38]

WhatCulture noted a number of striking similarities between Sons of Liberty and the 2014 Marvel Cinematic Universe film Captain America: The Winter Soldier, including a similar opening tanker mission, shady cyborg-like antagonist, and organization covertly attempting to shape the world's future, as well as a close-quarters combat fight scene similar to later Metal Gear Solidgames.[121] Entertainment Weekly noted that the film's opening tanker mission was "rendered as a Metal Gear Solid stealth mission."[122] Eye For Film said Winter Soldier's "opening sequence that will no doubt be familiar to anyone who's ever played Metal Gear Solid 2."[123]

Last edited:

DelireMan7

I remember several years ago (at least 15 years) when my father wanted to make me a gift, brought me to the supermarket and let me choose a game.
I didn't really know what to choose. I took one with a cover I liked, looked the back it was speaking about "infiltration". "Metal Gear Solid", never heard.

My father : "You're sure you want this one ?"
"Yes, I'll try it" not so sure about my choice.

Once at home, I installed in on our PC... Didn't know it would change my vision of gaming forever and ignite even more my love for gaming.
The introduction cinematic and the first sequence of infiltration to the elevator blew me away.
The dialogue, the characters, the gameplay, the plot twists... everything was perfect for me.
I ran through the game a countless times.

Then Kojima was like a god for me and become addicted to the MGS series.

MGS 4 was a bit a let down and kind of stopped my love for MGS.
Still I admire Kojima for experementing and pushing the limits of game.

I am still following Kojima's game and I am looking forward for Death Stranding (even if I am a bit scared)

EDMIX

Great, looking forward to learning more about HK himself. What is your favorite Kojima game of all time?

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Easily MGS3. The title is a great stand alone title where you don't need to know much about the past titles to enjoy the story about The Boss teaching Snake about life. I've beaten this game over 24 times over 3 platforms lol Favorite Kojima game....yes, but by default one of my favorite games of all time.

flat,750x,075,f-pad,750x1000,f8f8f8.jpg

Easily MGS3. The title is a great stand alone title where you don't need to know much about the past titles to enjoy the story about The Boss teaching Snake about life. I've beaten this game over 24 times over 3 platforms lol Favorite Kojima game....yes, but by default one of my favorite games of all time.
It truly is a masterpiece; I have the strategy guide for it and it's over 200 pages! The gameplay was ahead of its time in some ways because it respected your intelligence to the point where you could do things that aren't possible in other stealth games.

Top Bottom