• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima IGN interview

zsynqx

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2015/12/...w-studio-edgy-playstation-game-and-the-future

Hideo Kojima Talks New Studio, 'Edgy' PlayStation Game, and the Future
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rBe4qaS6n_s

For its first project, Kojima said, "I’m thinking smaller-scale, not too many people, and focusing on game creation at first." From there, Kojima says it’s possible the studio could expand beyond games.

"The focus is on digital content, so we could consider movies, animations, anything," Kojima said. "But first I think people expect games from me. That’s where I want to put my focus. Once we have an established IP in games, something solid that satisfies people, then we can consider movies and videos."

Kojima reiterated once more that he’s still interested in working with his Silent Hills partner Guillermo del Toro, whether it’s a game, film, anime, or something else entirely.

“We’ll have more agility,” he said. “We’ll be able to do things that are more edgy, preserving the quality we’ve had so far, while at the same time finding new challenges and exploring new areas.”

The Studio Still Hasn’t Decided What Game Engine to Use

On why he went with Sony.

"It's thanks to Sony that I was able to make a splash in the global market. It's been 10-plus years since then and the working relationship at Sony, the people at Sony, we gel well. People at Sony have been friendly with me, I work well with them. I got several offers from many different companies, but with Sony it came to a point where I know these people, we know each other well. I feel like this is an environment where I will be able to make something and be comfortable. And I believe that is the environment I need right now."

"We know each other, we understand each other, and based on this relationship, I think it's a good point to create a new IP. That's the reason I chose to work with Sony on this project."

New game may have mechs :p

Mech game, confirmed. Alert Kotaku.
YAoF70cl.jpg

For its first project, Kojima said, "I’m thinking smaller-scale, not too many people, and focusing on game creation at first." From there, Kojima says it’s possible the studio could expand beyond games.

Sort of like OG KojiPro, eh?

hitme

While Kojima was eager to answer our questions about his future, he offered no comments about his former employer, Metal Gear Solid V: The Phantom Pain, or the future of Metal Gear series.

KOJIIMAAAAAAAAAAA.

Damn, that dig at Konami! Lol!

"I want to create something that’s what people expect, but at the same time will have something new that people haven’t seen before," Kojima said, noting specifically that "it will be a complete game."

Courage

"I want to create something that’s what people expect, but at the same time will have something new that people haven’t seen before," Kojima said, noting specifically that "it will be a complete game."

eLPrhSu.png

enigmatic_alex44

Whenever a game uses "middleware," I expect mediocrity. Just see how poor TLOU looks.
Considering MGSV is the best console game of 2015, can you imagine what Hideo will be able to do NOW with the reigns loosened and ample time to finish a project? O____O

studyguy

I give him 2 games max before he goes off the deep end trying to make a full blown film again.
Not this long cutscene fuckery, but a movie.

Ploid 3.0

Kinda scared about the movies and video thing, but it'll probably be interesting. Dude want's to create stuff, and I hope he find success in the movie/video space.

Alienous

Ground Zeroes vs. The Phantom Pain is evidence scale isn't everything.

I'd appreciate something focused from Kojima. I hope they have a strong IP to form the backbone of the studio, because MGS is a hard act to follow.

rikichi

Having Shinkawa on board is all I need to know to get me hyped up about the game. Those 2 work great together. Cant wait to see the new shit they come up with.

Spizz

Banned
Really happy to hear this.

Yoji Shinkawa mentioned mech designs, but maybe he was just speaking in general since everything he's worked on with Kojima has involved them.

dabig2

Now McCaffrey can sleep easy knowing Microsoft tried at least.

It's ridiculous that people treat Kojima like a programmed robot whose own opinion obviously didn't matter because $$$$ is the most important. "He obviously chose Sony because Microsoft and others didn't make a serious pitch" is almost offending levels of condescension for a talent like Kojima. He's not an idiot. He's been in the game for decades and he picked a side for his own personal reasons. Respect it.

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
It's going to be a horror game with mechs(not full blown survival horror but not full on high speed action mech combat either)

I have no idea how he'll do it but he will

Top Bottom