• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima IGN interview

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Wait did Shinkawa accidentally confirm that the new game is going to have mechs?
Pretty sure he said mechanical design, which is vehicles, guns, etc. It could've been contracted to mechs. Or maybe it will! Who knows.

Well, not everyone left, so the people who wanted to stay are most likely absorbed into other teams, no? I wonder if Konami wants him to helm the new MGS games. He is one of the few big names attached to the MGS franchise. The other three of course already left.

It's possible, but he was really close to Kojima. Basically second in command of the series. It's hard to imagine that he'd stay behind instead of moving on with Kojima and the rest of the group. Especially with how the studio was treated toward the end.

neojubei

Will drop pants for Sony.
Kojima should try doing a mech game like zone of the enders mixed with an action rpg like mass effect.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
“We could go either way,” Kojima said, “whether it’s using an existing engine or making another engine. We’ll have to do some research before making a decision on that one.”

he considers making another engine?

THIS MAN IS INSANE.

Rising_Hei

Please Kojima-san, create a new cyberpunk universe with games for it, anime series, etc, the world needs it.

Hire Madhouse for the anime.

Do it.

Jarmel

Banned
Kojima should try doing a mech game like zone of the enders mixed with an action rpg like mass effect.

Sounds like the new game is going to be an open world RPG going by that other thread. The question then is whether this will have mechs.

Alienous

Wait did Shinkawa accidentally confirm that the new game is going to have mechs?

Not really, just that designing mechs is part of his job description at Kojima Productions. It was like that at Konami, too. He has a role in the studio as 'Mechanical Designer'.

So, if mechs have to be designed, Yoji will be the lead as always. But it didn't seem like a confirmation of anything regarding the current project. Besides, of course it'll have mechs - the studio logo is evidence enough of that.

I feel like this is an environment where I will be able to make something and be comfortable. And I believe that is the environment I need right now.

Man, that is quite sad to read. Past year must have been super stressful for him.

Dervy

Neo Member
Mech game, confirmed. Alert Kotaku.
YAoF70cl.jpg

Yup. They're hiring people with knowledge of Military equipment and mecha.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=189563219&postcount=1064

100% Mecha.

Let's be real. Almost every Kojima gane has mechs.

....Doesn't every Kojima game have a mech of some sort? I'm thinking Boktai might not but I never played it but...I know you use....solar power so I assume there's robots of some sort. There's Castlevania, but he didn't directly work on those...

KoopaTheCasual

Well I'm eating crow I guess. I fully assumed he'd go for a big AAA title out the gates. Seems the first title at least won't be super big. I guess there's a shot we see the first title by the end of the PS4's prime time after all

vpance

He's just referring to the studio initially not the project itself. I guess it's expected as KojiPro was pretty huge at the end. They even had a western branch.

Yeah that's what I understood too after I watched the video. Building up things gradually.

Alienous

Heaven help us if he doesn't decide on UE4.

Kojima's stated focus is on having a small, agile team focused on game creation, at least until their first IP is established. That wouldn't facilitate building a game engine.

Even if having their own engine is a goal it seems way down the line. They'll probably use UE4.

Sn4ke_911

If I ever post something in Japanese which I don't understand, please BAN me.
Man, that is quite sad to read. Past year must have been super stressful for him.

Yeah, this quote says a lot about the working conditions at Konami.

So glad KojiPro is finally free, they did not deserve all this.

BlueWord

Having Shinkawa on board is all I need to know to get me hyped up about the game. Those 2 work great together. Cant wait to see the new shit they come up with.

This was my biggest concern about Kojima's inevitable independent venture. Of course Kojima is a talented designer and visionary in his own right, but Shinkawa has been such an essential part in bringing those visions to life. So glad that he's on board.

Yup. They're hiring people with knowledge of Military equipment and mecha.

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=189563219&postcount=1064

100% Mecha.

Sounds like a Kojima Productions game! So excited to see what sort of ideas Kojima's been sitting on while he was chained to MGS. Unfortunately, given the job postings on the website, I have a feeling we're three or four years away from seeing anything substantial...

RangerBAD

....Doesn't every Kojima game have a mech of some sort? I'm thinking Boktai might not but I never played it but...I know you use....solar power so I assume there's robots of some sort. There's Castlevania, but he didn't directly work on those...

He was a producer. All his games he's directed have mecha in it besides PT and some of his early games.

gogogow

Kojima do not make another goddamn engine, Kojima no, stop, don't do it. Just take UE4 and move on to actually making shit.

There's no way they are gonna make their own engine. They don't have the manpower for that. They are most likely gonna use UE4, esp. if there's gonna be a PC version.

duckroll

Not sure about the first game, byt eventually Lunar Knights went full mech. They did make a Stock Trading game without mechs tho!

GunBR

he considers making another engine?

THIS MAN IS INSANE.
It's probably sad to him that he spend years making his own engine and only used it to one game
But if he want to release another game before the Playstation 5 he have to use Unreal

Well I'm eating crow I guess. I fully assumed he'd go for a big AAA title out the gates. Seems the first title at least won't be super big. I guess there's a shot we see the first title by the end of the PS4's prime time after all

It might still have AAA production values. Just not open world like MGSV(which is good).

KoopaTheCasual

It might still have AAA production values. Just not open world like MGSV(which is good).
I'm so down for a tight and focused game with high production values. I was never big into Metal Gear (it's like telling someone to just "jump into" Kingdom Hearts lore). But this new IP business will finally give me the chance to give Kojima games a shot.
Pretty sure he said mechanical design, which is vehicles, guns, etc. It could've been contracted to mechs. Or maybe it will! Who knows.
Darn, there goes my perfectly reasonable Tolkein-esque Fantasy prediction.

Alienous

Is there a chance he uses a Sony engine? Like the Killzone or Uncharted engine?

Naughty Dog's independent. Their engine is very much their own.

The Killzone engine was used by Supermassive, an independent studio making a Sony exclusive, but I don't see why that would be worth using over an engine with far more support available, like UE4.

Why a Konami exec can't just give Kojima and his team a license to use the engine they created is maddening.

Top Bottom