• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima IGN interview

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
I think it's going to depend entirely on how successful the game is. I think anything less then being a massive seller will probably result in a longer partnership with Sony.
My guess as well. If it does well, I bet Sony fosters a long term agreement.

Javin98

Banned
I really, really wish we will get a glimpse of Kojima's new game by E3 2017 by the latest. A 2018 release date sounds like enough time to get a game out, assuming Kojima doesn't build a new engine from scratch. He should really just opt for UE4, considering it will be a PS4 and PC game.

No, they tried to roll through the final trap in the Konami dungeon and got crushed. All the souls they've built up over the course of the dungeon is still on the bloodstain there, they need to go through it all again to get it back.

This same thing happened to me in a defiled chalice dungeon earlier today.

Huh.

DrD

No, they tried to roll through the final trap in the Konami dungeon and got crushed. All the souls they've built up over the course of the dungeon is still on the bloodstain there, they need to go through it all again to get it back.
They're summoning for help this time.

Venom Fox

Banned
Great news and I agree with him when he says that it's the environment he needs.

I wouldnt be surprised if Sony just outright bought the studio or at least made him an offer of becoming a Sony exclusive developer. Kojima has expressed his ambition to do a movie / anime and Sony has SPE so it seems natural to me.

I see this as a good thing and I'd expect Sony to let him thrive and create whatever he wants.

Goreomedy

Console Market Analyst
Smaller scale, efficienct, focused vision sounds great to me. I've been ready for a new Kojima IP for a long while.

I would love to see him reimagining a Nintendo IP. I think he would have the freedom he needs to accomplish that. And if not a Nintendo IP, I would love see him making a game for NX just to see what he would come up with.
It makes total sense that he went with Sony, due to their long relationship, but I'm sure he wouldn't be limited in his creativity if working on something with Nintendo. A Metroid by KojiPro... mmhhhh♡

Venom Fox

Banned
That quote from kojima about it being the best environment for him breaks my heart, sounds like konami was a living hell.
Same, I mentioned it in a post above and it really got to me, just realising how much he would have been depressed and lonely through out that whole ordeal.

Good on him for going with his heart and continuing to create games.

Kojima and Rockstar make my favorite games ever. If he keeps making games until he dies, I'll keep buying them. He is a legend.

My Shinkawa limited edition MGS4 artwork signed by Kojima will one day be worth...BILLLLIONS.

Endo Punk

Haven't bought a Koj game since MGS4 because I strongly felt his talents were wasting away on Metal Gear. His new game is top of my most wanted list despite not even knowing what it is, that's how excited I am that he finally gets to make a fresh experience.

BokehKing

Banned
That quote from kojima about it being the best environment for him breaks my heart, sounds like konami was a living hell.

the quote after that 'and that's what I need right now" is even sadder
because it sounds like he just got rescued out of gulag or some kind of third world prison.
and he just wants to recover and he knows he won't be pressured at Sony

MoonFrog

Kojima talked a lot about keeping the studio small, so I'm wondering if he is looking to make a smaller production? He talked a lot about only doing one thing as the limiting of his ambitions, but I'm wondering if he is also going for smaller scope than, say, MGS5. He also went on a lot about how he wants to make this game even better and part of the scope of MGS5 seemed to be a response to "I need to make a better game than GTA5."

Personally, I'm hoping he just does a smaller, tighter, more story-driven, moment-to-moment gameplay driven project again as opposed to the less linear, macro-gamplay driven experimentation he has been up to of late. I think that will be less likely to cause issues with Sony, help him get it quicker out the door, and help him get his new studio on firm ground. I also happen to like his older games that were more like that better :p.

I'm just not sure where he is at with his ambitions. This is not to blame Kojima for what Konami did to him or anything, but while growing his studio I think he needs to take a step back and buckle down on what is really important to a good game and leave his penchant for largess unsated until he has a stable studio again.

I'm not the biggest fan of MGS V, but I've loved all previous MGS games, so I'm glad he's going back to smaller, focused projects. Can't wait. Day one for me.

WarpathDC

Horror games suck, so it'll probably just be a horrible game with mechs instead. :/

(Come at me bros)

It's going to be a first person waifu game where you are a cardboard box going to a school populated by nothing but mechs. A rebelous young mech, Snake, finds himself intrigued, smitten, and confused about his affinity for your brown, square protagonist. Can paper and metal love? Will their unnatural lust create a firestorm of controversy? Will the big metal Snake be too much for your little brown box? Find out in Embers of Enders, coming Q4 2017 exclusively to PSVR.

MrFatCat

Banned
ixUJI9H.png

Greatness Awaits

Jarmel

Banned
But he could still keep the codes right? They could've make something similar to the Fox engine.

That's not how it works. They would have to create a new engine from scratch and they're not going to do that.

They're not making a new engine for a good while.

KainXVIII

I don't get it, why everyone want UE4 so badly, do you work for Epic? =) Sony can provide some of support with their own engines.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
I don't get it, why everyone want UE4 so badly, do you work for Epic? =) Sony can provide some of support with their own engines.

They could, yes. But that may not align entirely with KojiPro's long term goal, which at this point may not involve leaning so heavily on Sony for funding and publishing. The benefits of working with a third party engine like Unreal is that it staff become accustomed to the pipeline and toolset of an engine they can use regardless of target platforms and publishing agreements. A game built on Unreal now has the long term benefit of the team being experienced should they chose to make a new game with a different partner on different platforms further down the road. Instead of having to adapt to and learn a new engine they can rest comfortably knowing their early experience with Sony has benefited their workflow in the long term.

Top Bottom