• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima reviews PACIFIC RIM, "the ultimate otaku film"

Neiteio

Via Twitter, reported by Kotaku

W3C7MXz.png

n1X0WnC.png

C80CmT6.png

I'm a huge del Toro fan (before it was cool!), and I'm really looking forward to this movie. Not sure if Kojima's "filmic assessment" bodes well for the quality of the film, though! (Side note: I like how Kojima's Twitter profile says movies are 70 percent of who he is, lol)

Kade

From one film director to another.

Kanye said it was good too but that guy is a goof who made a bad album recently.

Neiteio

Wrong forum.
Hideo Kojima makes videogames. And here's a very videogame-y movie that's tickled his fancy. Figured his fans/critics in this forum would like to weigh in whether this is encouraging/discouraging!

From one film director to another.

Kanye said it was good too but that guy is a goof who made a bad album recently.
Yeah, Emma Watson, too. Are they letting film critics see it alongside the celebs, or...?

My hype for this film is through the roof, so start checking the obituaries if it turns out to be bad.

Still, a man with a mind as mecha-centric as his should be trusted in regards to this sort of thing, no?

Kade

Hideo Kojima makes videogames. And here's a very videogame-y movie that's tickled his fancy. Figured his fans/critics in this forum would like to weigh in whether this is encouraging/discouraging!

Yeah, Emma Watson, too. Are they letting film critics see it alongside the celebs, or...?

Kaiju and Mecha films existed before bideo gams. I'm assuming they're using praise from people with klout as free marketing.

Neiteio

My hype for this film is through the roof, so start checking the obituaries if it turns out to be bad.

Still, a man with a mind as mecha-centric as his should be trusted in regards to this sort of thing, no?
I'm a little apprehensive about the acting, to be honest, but we'll see. Hard to tell from the out-of-context clips whether this movie is best taken as a cheesy adventure movie/anime.

~Kinggi~

Banned
I can see how a movie like this would appeal heavily to Kojima. I really want to see it, and i hope it isnt the mega bomb they says its going to be.
:(

Del Toro has never made a great film before outside of Pan's Labyrinth. Hellboy 1-2, blade 2, Mimic and Devil's Backbone were mediocre at best

That's true, what if this is a mind-game and Pacific Rim is really a preamble to MGS6.

It would be nuts if during the final battle in the ocean, Metal Gear RAY swims in and delivers the final blow to a Kaiju. Smash cut to METAL GEAR SOLID VI: Titans of the Pacific titlecard, then fade to credits while the sound of Kojima's laughter echoes throughout the theatre.

Neiteio

It would be nuts if during the final battle in the ocean, Metal Gear RAY swims in and delivers the final blow to a Kaiju. Smash cut to METAL GEAR SOLID VI: Titans of the Pacific titlecard, then fade to credits while the sound of Kojima's laughter echoes throughout the theatre.
It'd be even better if there's this weird chittering noise during the credits, and zealous fans slow it down 10,000X once they get the Blu-ray, revealing it's Kojima saying "Did you rike it" over and over again in a loop.

Well, I can't say I have any use for Kojima's thoughts on film (based on his games and some of his previous reviews), but his enthusiasm is infectious!

Coxy

Kojima's mecha license has been revoked until ZOE3

Top Bottom