• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima says Death Stranding is a reaction to 'Trump and Brexit'

lefty1117

Gold Member
Individualism in itself is not a bad thing. But when it escalates to hate and bigotry is where it can and should be rejected. In both Brexit and Trumpism there is an undercurrent of racism, it's not too hard to see if you're willing to look.

There's no reason why individualism and connectedness can't coexist peacefully, and attain an equilibrium. We are just living in a time where extremists at both ends are getting the attention.

Individualism in itself is not a bad thing. But when it escalates to hate and bigotry is where it can and should be rejected. In both Brexit and Trumpism there is an undercurrent of racism, it's not too hard to see if you're willing to look.

The problem is many want mass migration of individuals who are not even fluent in the language of the country. No education, little or no background check. What are these individuals going to do? Low skill labor and welfare dependency?

There is a limit to how much low skill labor we need, and excess capacity depresses wages increases unemployment and crime.

Wanting less illegal immigration, one of Trump's main campaign promises, has nothing to do with racism but practicality.

Brexit there were grooming gangs from migrants. And again if I'm not mistaken migrants were being allowed in that didn't have any higher education and couldn't even speak english. People should be allowed in if they're going to be productive members of society, assets to society, not weigh down society.

Katsura

You're right. It's very nuanced and there are many reasons someone would support certain policies or not. What I said is true and a great number of people are basing their decisions on fear of the unknown. But what you say is also true, far more true in certain parts of the world.

I was more-so alluding to the right-wing propaganda that grabs these issues and uses them to drive hysteria and panic, which impedes our ability as humans to move forward with trying to find solutions. Those solutions very well might include strict immigration policies, but we need to be intelligent and not act only on a reactionary feeling.

But I don't think Kojima was even going that deep. He made political comments yes, but I took his comments overall more about the importance of connecting with other humans in general and how even though more people than ever are gaming, we do so more often than not alone.
On the flip side, the left refusing to have discussions about these issues based on data, instead resorting to labelling people alt-right nazis, does not help with making intelligent decisions and moving forward either. The first step when solving a problem is admitting there is a problem

As for Kojima, he fucked up by bringing up Trump and Brexit. I think most people would agree that connecting with other people is important and that the internet can also play a part in making people feel lonely. That message will be lost on a lot of people though because of how he delivered it

Katsura

There's no reason why individualism and connectedness can't coexist peacefully, and attain an equilibrium. We are just living in a time where extremists at both ends are getting the attention.
There is just as much racism on the left

Phase

On the flip side, the left refusing to have discussions about these issues based on data, instead resorting to labelling people alt-right nazis, does not help with making intelligent decisions and moving forward either. The first step when solving a problem is admitting there is a problem

As for Kojima, he fucked up by bringing up Trump and Brexit. I think most people would agree that connecting with other people is important and that the internet can also play a part in making people feel lonely. That message will be lost on a lot of people though because of how he delivered it
Completely agree with you on both counts.

Good damn, a ton of retards showing their true bigoted colors in this thread. Can't look at a lot of you the same way anymore. It's one thing to want some of the things you want, but to be so hateful and spiteful about it towards others just shows how deep narcissism and rabid ego runs in the gaming community...

...and yet fools keep trying to lie and say it isn't a thing xD. Using immigrants as scapegoats to fearmonger when it was mostly Western nations that fucked up their homelands in the first place forcing them to migrate...maybe don't fuck up foreign countries and destabilize them? Never mind that most of those immigrants assimilate into society and tend to seem striving for better education and incomes than most of the natives, so I guess some envy is at play here.

You can be an advocate for sensible borders and national sovereignty without turning into a Richard Spencer or Stephen Molyneux, Once you hit those levels, you lost a long time ago.

He's Japanese. His country is the most isolated in the world. Who is he to judge other countries?

Not true. Otherwise why would be getting all that sweet, sweet anime, manga, Japanese video games etc.? Why would all those Japanese SF players be travelling around the world? Why does Japan have a clustering of Korean and Chinese immigrants (plus residents from other non-Asian foreign nations for particular work fields) present?

Also a country like America has a completely different history than one like Japan; just because he's from the latter doesn't mean he can't speak on the former. There's this thing called "learning information" and forming this other thing called "critical thought" from it. You don't make video games, but you definitely talk about them anyway. Same difference.

Someone should ask if hes upset that isreal, like Japan the country where he lives, is also an ethnostate with extremely strong immigration policies with a very traditional culture. Like you have to take a blood test to prove your a certain religion to even get married there. Id be very curious what his opinion would be.

Quit bullshitting; you're only bringing this up because you live in America and want to make America, a country that's traditionally never been an ethnostate, an ethnostate.

Never mind that there's a difference between just naturally deriving an ethnically homogeneous nation, and forcibly trying to create one by actively persecuting and targeting exclusion of peoples who don't fall within your preferred ethnic definition, simply because of no other reason that they don't fall within those definitions.

...which sadly for people like you, is generally what your talks of an ethnostate end up reflecting in the language you use.

Last edited:

Life

The game is about connections between humans and Brexit/Trump's wall just happen to be examples of its contrary - that's the only point he makes. I watched the whole doc and it's obvious the team worked hard on it. Kojima does say he feels anxious about whether the players are gonna have fun with the game though.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I doubt Kojima is that interested in the political mechanics and pro-nationalist rhetoric of (to him) foreign nations, more that looking in from a relatively impartial third-party standpoint the first thing he observes from Brexit and the Trump administration is how socially divisive they are.

I think we can all agree, regardless of where we stand on these topics politically, that divisiveness is a tragedy.

Cleared_Hot

Oh fuck here we go... Our states do not have walls. There's no wall with Canada. The one where millions illegally cross, along with drugs and criminals all the while committing a straight up horrific level of human trafficking is where we are building the wall. The wall helps ensure we actually make the connection as opposed to slipping in undetected

Last edited:

FranXico

The master race (is this allowed in this thread?) is getting it too.
It should be obvious which version is coveted, which also explains all the recent hatred towards Kojima and the IGN review celebration. It always boils down to the same motives. ;)

Last edited:

Caffeine

brexit was early 2017, and presidency sworn in early 2017. seems like the idea for death stranding was already conceived between silent hills in 2015 and early 2016. this is some clickbait ass article looking for woke clicks.

this is some clickbait ass article looking for woke clicks.

Well, they definitely got the equivalent of alt-right "woke" quips in this thread from people who didn't bother to read the article and got triggered by the title :LOL:

There is just as much racism on the left

They literally implied this in their own post, why did you feel a need to explicitly say something they already implied? And one side displaying racism doesn't make the other side doing the same any more correct.

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Are you for real, what kind of culture should we have ? a completely global one ? why not reforming language while we're at it and only create one for everyone to speak
Are you? Removing all borders means we automatically end up with only one culture? Have you been to NYC for example? I can’t even count how many cultures that co-exist there, and that’s just one city.

As for language, everyone in here seem to speak English, right? Do you think we’re all native English speakers?

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Good damn, a ton of retards showing their true bigoted colors in this thread. Can't look at a lot of you the same way anymore. It's one thing to want some of the things you want, but to be so hateful and spiteful about it towards others just shows how deep narcissism and rabid ego runs in the gaming community...

...and yet fools keep trying to lie and say it isn't a thing xD. Using immigrants as scapegoats to fearmonger when it was mostly Western nations that fucked up their homelands in the first place forcing them to migrate...maybe don't fuck up foreign countries and destabilize them? Never mind that most of those immigrants assimilate into society and tend to seem striving for better education and incomes than most of the natives, so I guess some envy is at play here.

You can be an advocate for sensible borders and national sovereignty without turning into a Richard Spencer or Stephen Molyneux, Once you hit those levels, you lost a long time ago.

Not true. Otherwise why would be getting all that sweet, sweet anime, manga, Japanese video games etc.? Why would all those Japanese SF players be travelling around the world? Why does Japan have a clustering of Korean and Chinese immigrants (plus residents from other non-Asian foreign nations for particular work fields) present?

Also a country like America has a completely different history than one like Japan; just because he's from the latter doesn't mean he can't speak on the former. There's this thing called "learning information" and forming this other thing called "critical thought" from it. You don't make video games, but you definitely talk about them anyway. Same difference.

Quit bullshitting; you're only bringing this up because you live in America and want to make America, a country that's traditionally never been an ethnostate, an ethnostate.

Never mind that there's a difference between just naturally deriving an ethnically homogeneous nation, and forcibly trying to create one by actively persecuting and targeting exclusion of peoples who don't fall within your preferred ethnic definition, simply because of no other reason that they don't fall within those definitions.

...which sadly for people like you, is generally what your talks of an ethnostate end up reflecting in the language you use.
You havent addressed anything I mentioned in the above post. You went a little tantrum, an incoherent one at that.

Last edited:

Katsura

Well, they definitely got the equivalent of alt-right "woke" quips in this thread from people who didn't bother to read the article and got triggered by the title :LOL:

They literally implied this in their own post, why did you feel a need to explicitly say something they already implied? And one side displaying racism doesn't make the other side doing the same any more correct.
Because i disagree it was implied. You know, since he only mentions Brexit and Trump

ROMhack

brexit was early 2017, and presidency sworn in early 2017. seems like the idea for death stranding was already conceived between silent hills in 2015 and early 2016. this is some clickbait ass article looking for woke clicks.

Said it already but both issues are heavily affected by globalisation which Kojima sama has been making games since 2001. If he saying anything about the current political landscape, I expect it's more about the political philosophy driving such things rather than 'orange man bad' or such.

Last edited:

Hinedorf

Banned
I really hoped if there was some meaning behind the game related to societal issues it would never be addressed directly.

I can handle Kojima making horribly wordy garbage on the pretense it's his art form. Him going out of his way to state that some of his decisions were based on current events makes me want to never touch this game.

Couple that with the pretty shaky reviews put this game on the complete back burner. I doubt I'll be buying this game after all.

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
Ironic article title, considering he is from Japan and their laws are some of the most strict when it comes to immigration and/or acceptance of "refugees".

Last edited:

Woodchipper

Ironic article title, considering he is from Japan and their laws are some of the most strict when it comes to immigration and/or acceptance of "refugees".
What does that have to do with anything? That’s like me assuming all Americans are racists and fundamentalist Christians, and then thinking it’s ironic when an American who is not racist or fundamentalist Christian says something.

Last edited:

DeepEnigma

Gold Member
What does that have to do with anything? That’s like me assuming all Americans are racists and fundamentalist Christians, and then thinking it’s ironic when an American who is not racist or fundamentalist Christian says something.

Funny you use the word ironic, when projecting presumptions in this post. :messenger_weary: :messenger_ok:

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
The problem is many want mass migration of individuals who are not even fluent in the language of the country. No education, little or no background check. What are these individuals going to do? Low skill labor and welfare dependency?

There is a limit to how much low skill labor we need, and excess capacity depresses wages increases unemployment and crime.

Wanting less illegal immigration, one of Trump's main campaign promises, has nothing to do with racism but practicality.

Brexit there were grooming gangs from migrants. And again if I'm not mistaken migrants were being allowed in that didn't have any higher education and couldn't even speak english. People should be allowed in if they're going to be productive members of society, assets to society, not weigh down society.

I just don't get how it's any different now than in the 19th and early 20th centuries when we had lots of low skill, didn't speak the language immigrants coming in through Ellis island etc. The entire mid-Atlantic region was full of Dutch and German people. People's last names used to be changed to sound more American on the way into the country. They came in with rudimentary skills and language and had to learn to make it. I don't see how that's any different now. I have personal experience working with immigrants in the south that are just looking for a chance to work hard and earn their pay. Are there bad actors and leeches? Of course. Are you going to harm the many to punish the few?

Regarding "illegal immigration", I would ask you this. Is it ILLEGAL immigration that is the issue, or immigration in general? What if we were to ramp up our resources at entry points so that more immigrants could be processed, and in the end the total number of immigrants coming in legally was roughly on par with those currently coming in legally + illegally. Would you be OK with that? (I ask that generally of those who argue against illegal immigration)

Japanese showed their true colors in WW2. They were almost as bad as Nazis in treating their occupied victims. South Korea, China...horrible stuff.

They thought of themselves as superior and wanted to rule most of Asia, at least over those races they saw as similar to them.

Then, they got a little carried away, attacked US and got beaten to a pulp. Since then, they are de facto occupied country with 10s of thousands of US soldiers.

And that’s why some politics geeks like Kojima are obsessed with US. Literally everything in his games is about US and geopolitics. You are Japanese bruh, why not make something that represents your country for a change?

Or maybe start gaining back some of that sovereignty lost 74 years ago. Yes, you are economically successful but on a world stage you are nothing, zip, nada. Totally irrelevant. You can’t even defend yourself against NK without asking US first. Pathetic is what you are.

So before criticizing great US of A, look your own occupied ethnostate in the mirror.

FranXico

When i read the quote initially, it seemed like he was using Brexit and Trump as examples of a divide. Not that it was specifically a reaction to Trump and Brexit, and that they were actually bad.
Some journos certainly twisted it that way though, despite the original quote not sounding like that at all.
So, when he talks about divide, it's more that people divide themselves over these things, rather than "brexit bad, orange man bad".

So, when he talks about divide, it's more that people divide themselves over these things, rather than "brexit bad, orange man bad".

That's what i took from the quote. He even clarifies it later by saying some won't want to reconnect due to past actions of others, yet makes no distinction of whether it was good or bad...just that it divided people.

Jezbollah

The EU referendum was actually on the 23rd June 2016, with informal capaigning starting as early as October 2015.

You havent addressed anything I mentioned in the above post. You went a little tantrum, an incoherent one at that.

Guess that's your archaic go-to line when backed up against the wall eh? Only this is one wall you wish would fall down so you can escape the impact of my facts pummeling you ;)

Nah, if you can't distinguish a difference in the two, then your points aren't worth being addressed. Now, how can you demonstrate that your preferred utopia comes about from the former in lieu of the latter? Because you've done nil to indicate that.

Because i disagree it was implied. You know, since he only mentions Brexit and Trump

They literally said

Individualism, politically speaking, is a seemingly right-wing virtue. Connectedness seems to be a left-wing virtue. The suggestion they can coexist peacefully is a sound one and logically achievable. Extremists exist at both ends; racists are a form of extremists. Saying they exist at both ends implies the left (definitely the far-left) has them too, which would include racists, since by proxy they are a form of extremists.

Sharpen your critical thinking and analytical skills a little more on this stuff; there was not much reason for them to literally type it as you posted to get the idea across they feel those sorts exist on both sides. Them mentioning Trump and Brexit doesn't invalidate that part because you have bigots/racists involved in both AND non-bigots/non-racists who support those things too. The latter I would argue in greater numbers, doesn't invalidate the reality that some of the former are in those camps too.

Last edited:

Dabaus

Banned
Guess that's your archaic go-to line when backed up against the wall eh? Only this is one wall you wish would fall down so you can escape the impact of my facts pummeling you ;)

Nah, if you can't distinguish a difference in the two, then your points aren't worth being addressed. Now, how can you demonstrate that your preferred utopia comes about from the former in lieu of the latter? Because you've done nil to indicate that.

They literally said

Individualism, politically speaking, is a seemingly right-wing virtue. Connectedness seems to be a left-wing virtue. The suggestion they can coexist peacefully is a sound one and logically achievable. Extremists exist at both ends; racists are a form of extremists. Saying they exist at both ends implies the left (definitely the far-left) has them too, which would include racists, since by proxy they are a form of extremists.

Sharpen your critical thinking and analytical skills a little more on this stuff; there was not much reason for them to literally type it as you posted to get the idea across they feel those sorts exist on both sides. Them mentioning Trump and Brexit doesn't invalidate that part because you have bigots/racists involved in both AND non-bigots/non-racists who support those things too. The latter I would argue in greater numbers, doesn't invalidate the reality that some of the former are in those camps too.
If you drove a car, used a television, cell phone, or laptop, used anything with a wheel, enjoy plumbing, and climate control in your apartment or know someone on welfare thank a white person bro. It’d be a great way to “tear down the walls. Or you could always go to a third world shithole it sounds like you have so much affinity for. I hear their just now getting toilets in India and I saw some Africans using a wheel to carry water, all thanks to the white man of course. Be sure to thank one when you see us.

Hinedorf

Banned
Japanese showed their true colors in WW2. They were almost as bad as Nazis in treating their occupied victims. South Korea, China...horrible stuff.

They thought of themselves as superior and wanted to rule most of Asia, at least over those races they saw as similar to them.

Then, they got a little carried away, attacked US and got beaten to a pulp. Since then, they are de facto occupied country with 10s of thousands of US soldiers.

And that’s why some politics geeks like Kojima are obsessed with US. Literally everything in his games is about US and geopolitics. You are Japanese bruh, why not make something that represents your country for a change?

Or maybe start gaining back some of that sovereignty lost 74 years ago. Yes, you are economically successful but on a world stage you are nothing, zip, nada. Totally irrelevant. You can’t even defend yourself against NK without asking US first. Pathetic is what you are.

So before criticizing great US of A, look your own occupied ethnostate in the mirror.

I read this in Donald Trumps voice and it initially sounded spot on but it just isn't ignorant enough to truly be our Presidents words

Katsura

They literally said

I admit i didn't catch that. However, please dial down your rhetoric a bit

If you drove a car, used a television, cell phone, or laptop, used anything with a wheel, enjoy plumbing, and climate control in your apartment or know someone on welfare thank a white person bro. It’d be a great way to “tear down the walls. Or you could always go to a third world shithole it sounds like you have so much affinity for. I hear their just now getting toilets in India and I saw some Africans using a wheel to carry water, all thanks to the white man of course. Be sure to thank one when you see us.

Good god, you are an insufferable little shit. The irony being your avatar drawn by a Japanese guy who'se from a country that needed "da whyte mahn" (did I say that right?) to recover after "da whyte mahn" bombed the shit out of it...TWICE!....yet your hangup is with Indians and blacks.

Meanwhile I guess there's no opiod crisis in rural communities, I guess "mental illness" and "economic anxiety" aren't really a problem with a lot of whites in America, maybe all these mass shootings like the one in Las Vegas and the Norwegian summer camp were made up imaginary fluff, and it's particularly funny in spite of you that a good chunk of those white guys you want to latch onto to make up for your own lack of personal success in life were gay. I wonder how you feel about that?....

Dudes like you are simply doomed to a life to petty suffering and self-induced misery, taking out your anger on other people because your own life is trash and you have emptiness in your heart. Welp, those are your own problems; be a man, grow some balls and take care of that shit. It's not other people's fault, it's yours. Trying to ride on the coattails of other people who don't even know you exist (let alone give two shits about you) simply out of the fact your skin color's similar is one of the most beta-male, cuckery-verified weaksauce things a so-called "man" could do.

Grow up for a change, handle your own problems and get over your anger issues. In the meantime, leave me good and well alone; people don't need your negative energy in their lives.

Last edited:
just odd he would use those examples while he is from one of the most isolationist countries on earth who take in zero immigrants.

lol give me a break.

FT4QL4T.jpg

Top Bottom