• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hideo Kojima teases a “Big Thing” related to Streaming and Cloud gaming

Mista

Banned
Hideo-Kojima-teases-big-streaming-project-5G-interview-Nikkei-Business-ds1-1340x1340.jpg

Japanese economy magazine Nikkei Business published a lengthy interview with Hideo Kojima as part of a big feature on 5G. Hideo Kojima answered multiple questions regarding 5G, streaming technology, and how it’ll affect the gaming industry. Hideo Kojima also spoke about how cinema and gaming evolved in a similar way, and how new technologies change the way entertainment is created and consumed, in an endless cycle of evolution. Hideo Kojima also teased that he has a very big thing in mind in relation to streaming. Lastly, Kojima stated he always believed that ultimately, movies and games will become one and the same entertainment medium. He’d love to be a pioneer in that domain, no matter the cost, as he’s not making games for profit.

Now that the world’s first 5G commercial services have launched this April, Kojima believes that streaming platforms like Google Stadia will become the norm:
5G commercial services have launched, Google announced a cloud gaming service, and Apple is strengthening its position in the gaming industry. Cloud gaming allows direct delivery of games on any screen, be it a smartphone, a tablet or a laptop, without the need for consoles. Cloud gaming experienced a boom around 4, 5 years ago, but there was no phenomenon carrying it. Many say it’ll end in failure, but I think it didn’t work out because the technology wasn’t advanced enough. Now that 5G has launched, we’ll see a huge shift to cloud gaming during the next five years. Entertainment as a whole will change and allow more liberty.

When asked about how Google Stadia will affect the game industry and if game consoles will disappear, Kojima answered:
Games we’ve never seen before will appear. This is certain, considering how the entertainment industry evolved. Most movies aren’t longer than 2 hours because the audience at theaters would get hungry or need to use the restroom. Plus, it would mean less screenings a day, and theaters’ revenues would drop. When TVs came around, entertainment adapted to keep watchers glued to their screens so they don’t switch channels. Hence why concepts like cliffhangers before commercial breaks were invented.

Hideo Kojima mentioned that Google Stadia’s features, like being able to directly join the game of a YouTuber you’re watching, is only the tip of the iceberg of what cloud gaming can bring:
As streaming keeps evolving, games, movies, documentaries and any type of video content will all be on the same platform. This is the future I’ve always wished for. Services like Netflix will divide its content between “interactive games” and ‘”non-interactive movies”. Games and movies are complete opposites, separated by a border. But that border will disappear. It already started to disappear. Like with Netflix’s Black Mirror: Bandersnatch published last year.

Kojima also wishes to contribute to this merge between movies and games, and to leave his own mark in its history:
Games will change drastically. Of course, high-end console games like the ones released nowadays will remain. But technology will keep progressing, and we’ll be able to create brand new types of games with novel gimmicks. I’m very busy myself, but I too would love to leave my mark on this side of history.

Continuing on, Hideo Kojima stated that he actually has a big thing in mind related to streaming:
We’ll start seeing completly different games these next five years as 5G spreads. There’s one big thing I have in mind related to streaming as well. I can’t say anything more as I don’t want to spoil though (laughs).

Boss Mog

I really don't see cloud gaming becoming huge. The tech still isn't there and certainly not everywhere. With video streaming you can buffer to compensate for any momentary dips or interruptions in bandwidth but you can't in game streaming it needs to be as close to live as possible, but for a lot of games even less than a second of lag makes them unplayable.

Last edited:
I really don't see cloud gaming becoming huge. The tech still isn't there and certainly not everywhere. With video streaming you can buffer to compensate for any momentary dips or interruptions in bandwidth but you can't in game streaming it needs to be as close to live as possible, but for a lot of games even less than a second of lag makes them unplayable.
Change it to in our life time and I will agree.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
He's right, and if you area creative person the opportunities will seem appealing.

However the problem is that most product vendors will take the path of least-resistance and drill down on the monetization potential, the models for which have already been piloted in the mobile space.

Actually mobile is the most apt example as it too was heralded as this harbinger of great creativity when it first arrived. However we all know how that ended up developing over time, and what the really big winners in that market-space have turned out to be.

Psajdak

Banned
I have faith that DS will, at the very least, be memorable experience.

One thing, though; I just hope Kojima will make this complete game, which makes sense in the end.

No open endings, no unnecessary mumbo jumbo, no my head hurts meta.

mortal

Gold Member

One thing, though; I just hope Kojima will make this complete game, which makes sense in the end.

Hmm, so more like a standalone story? As much as I would love to see Death Stranding become a series, I'd also love to see Kojima go full Fumito Ueda,

Last edited:

Mista

Banned

Just like all his games for me. If there’s a sequel for DS then I don’t mind open endings and all that smart shit Koji did with MGS. People can hate him as much as they want but NOBODY can take that away from him

My internet provider can't even provide me with a fucking router that reaches my fucking kitchen 7 meters away.
Let alone a stable internet connection, and I'm on "fibre" which is meant to be the best, fuck streaming.

Last edited:

Tesseract

Banned
i agree the most exciting thing about 5g is the low latency, but the infrastructure just ain't there yet

packet loss tho, ugh remains to be seen

Last edited:

Barakov

Gold Member
I'm usually down for Kojima's crazy bullshit but I'm against this streaming thing in it's current form. I still think it's doomed to fail.

hybrid_birth

Gold Member
My internet provider can't even provide me with a fucking router that reaches my fucking kitchen 7 meters away.
Let alone a stable internet connection, and I'm on "fibre" which is meant to be the best, fuck streaming.

Someone donate a router to this guy!

I am not sold on streaming yet. On one hand we don't have to buy expensive hardware that can break down over years. On the other hand we have to pay another monthly subscription on top of PS Plus / Xbox Live.

BlueAlpaca

So how will streaming change gaming? This is all bullshit:

1) deliver purchased games on any screen. Nobody would buy a 60 dollar games and be stuck having to stream it. If it were an option it still would not make sense as the seller would need to allocate resources to stream it for the customer, better just let them d/l the whole thing.

2) subscribtion services - this is what streaming is about, and it's not going to work for games. Casual gamers will just buy 5 or 10 dollar games for their iPhones, or d/l free games, and on the other end there's not enough hardcore gamers to support 10-15 dollar a month service that could make big budget games. Is even a hundred million subscribers to a Netflix gaming enough for the industry? And of course there'd be more than one service, splitting the revenue. It just won't work. Netflix is already big in debt paying for their tv shows, diverting billions from movies/tv to games would destroy it.

Last edited:

Northeastmonk

Gold Member
I don't think he answered the question in regards to physical games being obsolete. If the general consensus is " I want to spend my money on a physical device" then how can all these people say "streaming will take over"?

Introduce streaming where no one can find issues with it then watch it grow. The worrisome problem with these massive claims that streaming will be the future, is that it can't determine what will actually be good in 10 years.

As of today, amazing games come out digitally and physically. Show us something different (just like Kojima predicts) and then I'll change my mind.

Bandersnatch brought me back to Dragon's Lair. The technolical jump can do those types of games. But just like with VR, what's their huge selection of games worth getting? I've lived pretty well without VR. I got so burned out with the Kinect because it wasn't fun. I've had Light Guns, steering wheels, and DJ setups. Even DDR in the arcade. What I want when I play a AAA game is a regular controller.

Bandersnatch didn't feel like it needed a 2nd playthrough. It was a grungy, dark take on a guy developing a game. Even the episode where they plug the player into the horror game wast exactly ground breaking.

I think we will see a lot of trial and error before anything takes over. It's like watching those Ultimate Gamer episodes when the 360/PS3 gen was in full swing. What we think, what we enjoy, and how we act are "generation based". They resemble us to a point before they're outdone or what they're doing is irreverent to today's gaming.
I was hoping we'd see an end to the atrocious gamer shapes and colors on PC equipment.

Maybe someday we'll get to where Kojima is at. I just have to see it to believe it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom